Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

So I wonder what the BIG VC release is?
Old 09-10-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My guess:
Spoiler:
Mega Man 9

I think it's all double-speak and miscommunication. Of course, what would Capcom know anyway? Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drum and couldn't care less about what the individual publishers think.
Old 09-10-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I'm out.

Two negatives (to me) taken together (insane difficulty & 8-bit graphics) make this a pass.

If it were just one of the two (moderate difficulty w/ 8-bit graphics, or insane difficulty w/ 16 or 24-bit graphics), I would totally be on board. Notice how I'm not asking for an easy game, or a game with shiny new graphics - I love a challenge and I especially love SNES/Genesis-style 2D graphics. I just no longer have the patience for games this difficult that also look like NES games. Nostalgia is one thing, but this is too big a step backwards.
Old 09-10-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I still don't get the insane difficulty choice. Yes MM1 was hard, ass hard, but on the other hand MM2, considered the finest of the franchise was the easiest. I finally gave MM7 a spin since I missed it when it was out. It looks good, but I'm glad they are going with 8-bit. That's the only MM I want.

I've had a Wii point card collecting dust for months. I finally get to use it on something. Yea!
Old 09-10-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've only glanced back through this thread at a high level, but where is the "insane" difficulty talk coming from? And compared to what?
Old 09-10-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they release more games that look and play like they are from the NES and SNES, I'll buy every single one of them that I'm even remotely interested in unless they just get horrible reviews. This is where I'm the most interested in downloadable games. To me, MM9 is a huge dream come true. Bring it on!

Now give me a new Zelda/Crystalis type of game please.
Old 09-10-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The difficulty has me a bit worried as well. I recently bought MMAC to play through the classics. I beat 1, but stopped at Wiley's castle in 2. I made it to Wilry but without enough energy tanks to beat him. I haven't felt motivated to try again. I am sensing more of this type of pacing in MM9.
Old 09-10-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
This has already been posted in the randomn vids thread but i thought this would be more appreciated here:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dI8RPO87vSc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dI8RPO87vSc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-11-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
I've only glanced back through this thread at a high level, but where is the "insane" difficulty talk coming from? And compared to what?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 09-11-08, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

From an interview with the producer on UGO:

UGO: Certainly the old Mega Man games were very fun and still hold up, but they were also very difficult. Would you say Mega Man 9 is on par with the first few games, in terms of difficulty, or was some consolation made for the gamers today that tend to prefer an easier, less punishing game?

Takeshita: Yea, this game is hard. It will give you a run for your money. The point was to take it back to the basics, and that meant looking at Mega Man 1 & 2, which were very well received--especially 2. So we knew if we were going to imitate that, we had to keep the difficulty intact. That was a challenge for us, but we think that having the difficulty and overcoming that challenge in the game makes it a fun game. You can’t really have a Mega Man game without the challenge.

Some players might find it a little hard, especially the younger generation. But we’ve included some things in this new Mega Man to help them over the tough spots. You’ll see what they are when you get the game.

We don’t want you to see it as just a difficult game. Some people look at it like a kind of puzzle game. You don’t have to kill every enemy on screen to make it through each level; some people will find a way around the enemies and they’ll find it easier. With that in mind, it’s as if you need to find the best strategy to get through the game. And finding a strategy to get through each level is what makes Mega Man fun. Sure, once you do it a few times--and die--but when you figure out the pattern or the easiest path, you’ll think, “Why didn’t I do that earlier? That’s the way to do it.” The game itself isn’t hard, it’s just about finding the strategy to clear it.
From a 1up E3 Preview:
What's our take? You know how early reports have indicated that Mega Man 9 is super hard? Those are not exaggerations. This game is unrelentingly difficult, much more so than the classic NES titles from which it takes its inspiration -- I've been playing them lately and breezing through them, but MM9 is downright vicious. In a good way!
Then there are the 360 Achievements that multiply the difficulty tenfold.

I also remember during E3 that only one or two of the various podcasters made it through the E3 demo which was three levels. There are also several interview bits on Keiji Inafune stating that the difficulty will be on par with MM and MM2.
Old 09-11-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

MM1 was hard, no doubt. MM2 was far more approachable. I can handle MM9 being in that ballpark.

I do recall the achievements (as I posted them ), but those don't really relate to the difficulty of the game necessarily, but they add replayability. Like Geometry Wars 2 achievements were mostly side goals to the scoring/staying alive nature of the core game.
Old 09-12-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Grain of salt for 2 reasons, but Capcom has officially dated this for 9/24 in Japan.

Reason 1) http://gonintendo.com/?p=55722 with no source linked
Reason 2) Capcom said - not Nintendo.
Old 09-12-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm out.

Two negatives (to me) taken together (insane difficulty & 8-bit graphics) make this a pass.

If it were just one of the two (moderate difficulty w/ 8-bit graphics, or insane difficulty w/ 16 or 24-bit graphics), I would totally be on board. Notice how I'm not asking for an easy game, or a game with shiny new graphics - I love a challenge and I especially love SNES/Genesis-style 2D graphics. I just no longer have the patience for games this difficult that also look like NES games. Nostalgia is one thing, but this is too big a step backwards.
I'm out too. I was excited for it, but these two negatives make it a pass.
Old 09-15-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the 8-bit graphic approach and will buy the game, but I really hope it is not insanely hard.
Old 09-17-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Packaging from the press kit. The NES cartridge is the disc's case:

These asset discs are intended for members of the press, but, obviously realizing that it had created something destined to be the object of unbridled fanboy lust, Capcom is considering releasing 200 or so to the public via its online store, along with a voucher for the game download.
Full story on Joystiq.
Old 09-17-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

200? Gimmie a break. Those will be gone in under a minute. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Why not mass produce and ship 'em to gamestop with the voucher code?
Old 09-17-08, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
200? Gimmie a break. Those will be gone in under a minute. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Why not mass produce and ship 'em to gamestop with the voucher code?
The masses aren't worthy of something this cool.
Old 09-18-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bad ass!
Old 09-18-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
That is so cool. Now maybe it'll push Mega Man 1 aside as the worst cover art EVER.

...on second thought, Mega Man 1 is still terrible.
Old 09-18-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait for MM9. The concept of a brand new NES game being made in 2008 really makes me happy. I need to go play through some of the older games to prepare.
Old 09-19-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kotaku says:

September 22nd will see the game show up via WiiWare, which should make the Weekly Wii Update a little more exciting than usual. Then on the 25th the game will appear on the PlayStation Network. Finally, after weathering nearly a week and a half of insufferable taunting, Xbox 360 owners will be able to download the Xbox Live Arcade version on October 1st.
Old 09-19-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IGN - 8.6

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14260822&downloadURL=http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/911/911867/megaman9_vidrev_091908_flvlow.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

Closing Comments
Mega Man 9 is exactly what hardcore gamers were hoping it would be, as Capcom has come out of the gate with a game that's full of nostalgia and fan service, but also one that truly does rival the best in the franchise's 8-bit roots. If you look at this game as a time warp into the NES era, it's one of the top titles out there, as it's hard as hell, somehow fresh in design (even though there have been well over 100 Mega Man games in 15 years), and simply a blast to rip through. If you weigh this one against other download titles out there though, the game will of course fall short in the graphical department (maybe the only game out there where a low graphics score is a compliment? ), the lack of innovation overall, or a lot of the modes or options you'd expect to get for your money. With that being said, Capcom did go the extra mile with online rankings, downloadable content, and a few extra areas to check out (time trials could last players a long, long time), and it makes Mega Man 9 a no-brainer download if you've got $10 to spare across any console.
Another Take
from Colin Moriarty
When Mega Man 9 was announced to be a true 8-bit game, I was floored. It was like a dream come true. Unlike many Mega Man fans, Mega Man 3 is my favorite title (and favorite game of all-time), not the second iteration. And yet, even though Mega Man 9 is based off of the play mechanics of Mega Man 2 and not 3, it’s still a wonderful game. It’s a nostalgia trip that keeps on giving, from the amusingly old-school intro to the humorously-overdrawn ending.

I’ve spent a couple of weeks with Mega Man 9, and I’ve beaten it a dozen times or more. Each time I’ve played it, I’ve come to appreciate more and more the quirky nature of the game and the fact that it offers the oft-overlooked old- school gamer crowd an experience they simply haven’t had in a long time. You’re going to get goosebumps when you turn the game on and see the stage select screen for the first time -- trust me. This is the game true Mega Man fans have been waiting for.

Mega Man 9 isn’t without its faults, of course. It’s admittedly short, especially compared to the latter NES titles in the series, and while it’s easily the most challenging Mega Man title since the very first game, it’s unbalanced at times (why do Tornado Man and Jewel Man have such challenging stages when Galaxy Man’s and Splash Woman’s are so laughably easy?). Regardless, this game is easily worth twice as much as you’re going to pay for it, so what’s there to really complain about? Old-school gamers rejoice -- the game you’ve been waiting for is finally here. But gamers of the new generation beware. Mega Man 9 harkens back to a time when games were actually hard. Be prepared to throw a controller or two.
Oh please, bring it on already!
Old 09-19-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd really like to support a release like this, but watching that IGN video, I can certainly tell that it's only going to make me crazy. I don't have the skill (or patience) to play this sort of thing any more, unfortunately, nor do I want to shell out $50 for a new controller after breaking one out of frustration. Still, nothing but respect for Capcom for making this.
Old 09-19-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Here's a question. MM2 had a difficulty selection. If they're going for nostalgia, why didn't they emulate #2 (the best in the series) and put a difficulty selection in this new one?
Old 09-20-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow ... this continues to looks great. I'll definitely get it.

Will this be pillar-boxed at 4:3, or run at full 16:9? I'm assuming 4:3, because a widescreen presentation would significantly change the feel of the game.

Also, I'm wondering if the sound will be stereo or 5.1 ... again, I assume stereo since they're going old-school, but it'd be fun if they did a few gimmicky things with the surrounds (such as when he dies or kills a boss). That'd be nice to include as an option.

On a side note ... can a mod please change the thread title since it's not just Wii?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.