Mega Man 9 coming to WiiWare!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mega Man 9 coming to WiiWare!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 09:13 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts
If you want the scoop on this sort of thing, you need to subscribe to the blog at http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com.
Old 07-15-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Official E3 trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8YIis8GbgwM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8YIis8GbgwM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-16-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
This must have cost them $20 to make. I wish they would've gone with 16 or 24 bit 2D graphics instead - what's wrong with that?
Old 07-16-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
This must have cost them $20 to make. I wish they would've gone with 16 or 24 bit 2D graphics instead - what's wrong with that?

It's all about nostalgia my friend. The sounds and gameplay in that video game me fond memories of my youth.

The time I spent 2 weeks trying to finish the first megaman.. Ahhh yes, the sitting at home every hour out of school to finish a game. The... not.... hanging... out.... with.... friends..... OMG MY LIFE SUCKS, I COULD HAVE BEEN DOING SOMETHING WITH MY LIFE INSTEAD OF PLAYING AND FINISHING THAT GOD FORSAKEN GAME

/deep breath

ok then. This game will rule
Old 07-16-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Nostalgia has its place, I suppose, but that music already gave me a splitting headace. Hello, custom soundtrack.
Old 07-16-08, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad. Ass. I can't wait!
Old 07-16-08, 05:20 AM

I would've preferred Megaman 7 SNES/Megaman 8 PS1 style graphics. We already have 6 volumes of NES Megaman that we can play.
Old 07-16-08, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
Nostalgia has its place, I suppose, but that music already gave me a splitting headace. Hello, custom soundtrack.
I think the music is the best part.
Old 07-16-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
I think the music is the best part.

Originally Posted by slop101
I love this infantile line of thinking that I've seen on multiple boards.

Who cares what it cost them to make? Can you put together a NES style game the caliber of Mega Man? Can you do it for $20? Inafune wanted to make a new NES game for fun and the gamers benefit from it. If this was for the GBA or DS I doubt there would be complaints, but this imaginary console line seems to be getting under people skin.
Old 07-16-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope this is successful. I'd like to see more games like this.
Old 07-16-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I love this infantile line of thinking that I've seen on multiple boards.
Jeeze, I thought you were more grown up than this - first off, this sense of "nostalgia" for those who need such comfort blankets is what is infantile, second, it's not like I'm asking for super-hyper-3D-bump-mapped-hi-rez-bloom-lit-textured-future-gen-something...
Simply a slightly more detailed 2D art-style, circa SNES instead of NES. I don't see why one is so cool and the other isn't - this is the line of thinking that I see as infantile. And understand that I played the the very first Mega Man on my NES when it first came out, when no one knew what it was - I even got to Willy's castle without using any of the boss's weapons (I didn't know you could switch weapons, as the instructions were woefully incomplete). But just because something was cool at one time, doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. And bumping it up to 16-bits, would only improve on it, and that's my point.

Fuck nostalgia!

I see all this talk of nostalgia and it boils down to this:

"I have a soft spot for this because I played it when I was thirteen."

This makes no sense to me. You're not thirteen years old any more. You should be able to see things more objectively now. And it's not that nostalgia's a terrible thing on its own, although it's one of the most maudlin of feelings. Everyone feels a twinge of nostalgia every now and again. But like so many self-indulgent things we seem to not be able to get enough of it, retaining a childlike love of crummy things from your past just makes you childish.

Last edited by slop101; 07-16-08 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-16-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dude, I wasn't attacking you. Like I said, I've seen it on multiple boards. There's nothing wrong with wanting SNES style graphics, but I think there is also nothing wrong with going totally retro with NES style, audio and all. It's merely a stylistic choice.

I was down with the original as well when it came out. No need to drop that angle for debate as I'm sure a lot of us on this board were around for it. I dropped it on ebay a few years back, complete MINT packaging and all. Needless to say I got quite a decent amount for it. Ditto for 2 & 3. I think I made about $350 for all three.

It also has nothing to do with nostalgia, it has to do with a game(s) that were close to perfect. The franchise devolved into a mess from there. I just played through MM2 about a month ago, still as good as ever. So I agree, fuck nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. There is room for another great game in the franchise.

Look, if this does well, there's always a chance at a sequel and if so there is a chance they will advance it back to 6-8 level of style. I just find it comical that people bitch about wanting a traditional Mega Man for the past decade, Capcom finally listens and delivers and people whine about not wanting it 'THAT traditional.'

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 07-16-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-16-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It also has nothing to do with nostalgia, it has to do with a game(s) that were close to perfect. The franchise devolved into a mess from there. I just played through MM2 about a month ago, still as good as ever. So I agree, fuck nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. There is room for another great game in the franchise.
True that MM1&2 (maybe 3) were near-perfect, but the series devolved while still in the 8-bit phase. I just want a solidly designed game like those early ones, but with slightly enhanced graphics. Hell, I'd love MM2 with 16-bit graphics - sorta like the Mario all-stars cartridge that has the updated 16-bit graphics for Super Marios 1, 2 & 3 - I can't even play the 8-bit versions of those anymore. BTW, the nostalgia stuff wasn't directed at you.
Old 07-16-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I hope this is successful. I'd like to see more games like this.
Graphics be damned, I wish they would do this with Resident Evil. When it was more horror, less action. They certainly make enough spin off games to do it.
Old 07-16-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Concrete mans stage:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dWbYZrPQCCI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dWbYZrPQCCI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-16-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, for one, am pumped for this. I'd love to see a new SNES Mega Man X to follow this up. It's time to break out my GameCube MM collections again.
Old 07-23-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Too cool for words

Old 07-23-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice. I looked up MM1 box art and that is truly awful.
Old 07-23-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is hideous.
Old 07-23-08, 08:10 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I'd wear it.
Old 08-05-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mega Man 9 will be getting intentional bugs and graphical glitches. Article

Sounds great to me. It will be optional so you can turn it off in the menu. I've been playing through all the original series the past couple weeks (3-5 so far) and couldn't help but wonder if they will have the password system instead of a save system. Has anyone read anything about that?
Old 08-13-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Achievements leaked: http://inside.mygamercard.net/2008/0...-the-hardcore/

They look pretty damn tough. Gamer’s Day... are you serious? Especially considering Jitterbug is also an achievement. Do the math there, folks.
Old 08-13-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Seriously. Looks like Achievements will be a non-factor in deciding on a platform.
Old 09-10-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some rumors are surfacing, including possible release date and/or delay: http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12682

Downloadable Content
"-DLC is intact for all three versions (Wii,XBLA,PSN).

-Access to DLC is on the Boss Select screen, bottom right corner.

-Capcom plans to upload new content every so often. Possibility DLC won't be available until two to three weeks after the game releases. (speaking of the game's release, Wii users can look forward towards the 22nd of this month...although they've discussed delaying it till the following week due to a BIG Virtual Console title that might take the attention away from RM9) - what does N have up their sleeves in 2 weeks?

-Noteworthy DLC:
+Buster Shot Mods: Buster can fire different kinds of pellets such as a three way spread buster and a homing shot. No weapon energy used.

+Shooting Star Rockman: Rockman from the Shooting Star series is a playable character. Once downloaded, you can equip him in the Costume menu. (Japan only)

+Remixed Music: Download remixed BGMs, replaces 8-bit music.

+Title screens: Download new title screen images. One in particular, features Rock and friends "jumping for joy."

+Blues (Editor's Note: That's Proto Man, for the uninitiated): Yes, Blues is playable. Has his own set of moves/attacks. (Actually, he kinda sucks. Controls to loosely.)

+Auto messages: At some point in the game, Auto converses with Rock. This download changes what he talks about. One message featured Auto giving Rock his horoscope .

-DLC may or may not be "free." Capcom is considering options to make DLC redeemable. Wants to reward players for hard work.

-Plans a years worth of DLC.

Miscellaneous:
-RM9 was developed on Wii hardware, exclusive to Wii in Japan. XBLA Achievement are Capcom USA's doing. Not worth your time.

-RM9 was concieved as a brand new series, started out as a pet project at Inti.

-I've been told Capcom was fiddling around with two Rockman Wii titles prior to RM9's development, both have been shelved. Hiatus. (Scramble Battle?)

-RM9would not have existed without fan support. Future RM9 like titles will be fueled by fan support.

-I've played the XBLA and PSN versions, don't compare to Wii version controller wise. D-Pad on Xbox controller ruins the experience. PS3 D-pad is unresponsive. Wii remote controls are tight, perfect emulation of NES control.

-XBLA and PS3 versions felt like rushed ports of Wii version. Actually, they are merely ports. No touch ups." -- Protodude's Rockman Corner
Sounds more and more like the Wii is the way to go here.
Old 09-10-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.