Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox 360: No Spring Update, XBLA Games to be Permanently Removed, DRM Resolution

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox 360: No Spring Update, XBLA Games to be Permanently Removed, DRM Resolution

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,321 Likes on 4,319 Posts
That's interesting. I think Poker Smash is easily one of the best games in the Arcade. Screwjumper on the other hand is such a turd, I deleted it after like 2 minutes. They have a lot of nerve even calling it a "game".
Old 06-01-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
They should definitely just discount em for good and put them in their own category. $1 each.
Old 06-01-08, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They should definitely just discount em for good and put them in their own category. $1 each.
I don't know about 80 points, but some discount makes sense. A three month window of selling downloads at 50% off should be better for the game publishers than to never see a red cent again.
Old 06-02-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If they want to remove something that it makes sense to remove, they should get rid of demos for old sports games that have demos for newer versions. There is no reason I need to be able to download FIFA 2006 and FIFA 2007 demos, for example, when there is a FIFA 2008 demo available. Obviously this wouldn't help the Marketplace overcrowding issue, but the demo area is fairly crowded too.

The game companies shouldn't object, since it might keep someone from buying a cheap used or clearance game from the previous year rather instead of the newest version.
Old 06-02-08, 08:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Cutting consumer selection from "every option available, good or bad" to "the right selection" helps customers and enhances perception of the overall selection.
This is true, but this can be done without disabling games completely. Unlike a B&M retailer, the XBLA format allows for unlimited "shelf space". It would be better to move these games to their own section -- call it "The Vault" or something else non-derogatory.

At first I was on board with the idea of discounting these titles. Now, I disagree with that approach. My fear is that low-priced titles would discourage people from buying better games. "Why buy this new XBLA arcade game for 800pts when I can get four other games for the same price?"
Old 06-03-08, 12:31 PM

Gallery of potentially delisted games:

http://www.joystiq.com/photos/xbla-p...isters/837854/
Old 06-03-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's definitely a lot of crap. They should definitely keep the card/board games (Hearts, spades, Texas hold 'em, backgammon, etc) just for variety. I have no problem seeing the rest gone. Oh, and $10 for Solitaire? Get fucking real.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 06-03-08 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-03-08, 01:00 PM

They could make a lot of these games more attractive to potential buyers just by bundling them together instead of delisting them entirely. Like a "Beat 'em up" arcade game pack. Or a hearts/spades combo pack.
Old 06-03-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
They could make a lot of these games more attractive to potential buyers just by bundling them together instead of delisting them entirely. Like a "Beat 'em up" arcade game pack. Or a hearts/spades combo pack.
Sounds like there's a ton of easy ways to sell these games.
Old 06-03-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
I would buy a few of the ones I don't already own if they were like half the price.

I think this is a funny review of Track and Field:

What we say: "Mash A and B as fast as you can. Watch your controller break. Watch your friends laugh at you. Congratulations!"
Old 06-05-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Seems to me a company would want money coming in, especially when there's very little overhead. I'm with the lowering-prices model. Leave them on, move a game a week to the "Junkyard" (obviously some other name), and drop them 100 points a week.
I agree, there are lots of games I would buy, but not for 800 points.
Old 06-05-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Not a bad idea, but then it's just a waiting game if they drop 100 points a week

They already have a Arcade Hits category, but it only has 7 games over 6 months. They're half price, but only because they were popular but slowed...

I don't know what moniker you'd give these "Arcade Misses" or what price point you'd cut them to - 25% of original? That seems to make sense to me: 100 or 200 points. Packaging them into bundles makes sense too.

Give me a Namco classics for 400 points including Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Galaga. How about Williams with Defender, Robotron 2084, and Joust. Atari for 800 with Missle Command, Asteroids, Battlezone, Centipede, and Tempest. A Hardwood pack with Backgammon, Hearts, Spades, and Solitaire is a no-brainer and I don't know why they haven't done this yet.

There are many different ways to breathe life into the old if they would just get creative.
Old 06-05-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe not dropping the price each week, but eventual price drops is more in line with the rest of the industry: the longer you wait, the cheaper it will be. Early adopters/purchasers subsidize later purchasers.
Family Fun pack, Classic Arcade, Space Shooters.
Even a pick-three: for 1000 points, pick any three of these second-tier 400-point games. Not sure how that would work (technically), but if they can make my voice go wirelessly from my headset to the person I'm playing a game with halfway around the world, I'd think they could figure something out.
There's definitely lots of opportunity here.
Old 06-05-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts
The problem (IMHO) with that is that they're basically telling you that if you wait long enough, the prices will go down. This is the mistake (from their end, at least) they made with retail games... why buy a game for 60 bucks if it'll be down 20 bucks (or more) in a month or so, even popular games, and if they're really popular, down to 20 bucks or less? They get the additional sale, but then they condition the buyer to wait for a cheaper price. If there's not even the illusion of scarcity in addition to this (since the driving force behind this suggestion is to keep these games downloadable forever), then that makes it even worse.

We'll see, however. I still think they'll make more money by threatening to expire these crappy games and seeing the obsessive compulsive people jump on them. And I think they know how obsessive-compulsive we are with the whole success of Achievements.
Old 06-06-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
The problem (IMHO) with that is that they're basically telling you that if you wait long enough, the prices will go down. This is the mistake (from their end, at least) they made with retail games... why buy a game for 60 bucks if it'll be down 20 bucks (or more) in a month or so, even popular games, and if they're really popular, down to 20 bucks or less? They get the additional sale, but then they condition the buyer to wait for a cheaper price. If there's not even the illusion of scarcity in addition to this (since the driving force behind this suggestion is to keep these games downloadable forever), then that makes it even worse.

We'll see, however. I still think they'll make more money by threatening to expire these crappy games and seeing the obsessive compulsive people jump on them. And I think they know how obsessive-compulsive we are with the whole success of Achievements.
Retail games all price drop after a given time. What's different between those games and XBLA arcade games?

Other than Rare or OOP titles, all games price drop if you wait long enough.
Old 06-06-08, 09:23 AM

Besides, how is that different from the "Arcade Hits" program? Doesn't that tell people certain games will drop in price if you wait long enough?

Last edited by Decker; 06-06-08 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-07-08, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
The problem (IMHO) with that is that they're basically telling you that if you wait long enough, the prices will go down. This is the mistake (from their end, at least) they made with retail games... why buy a game for 60 bucks if it'll be down 20 bucks (or more) in a month or so, even popular games, and if they're really popular, down to 20 bucks or less? They get the additional sale, but then they condition the buyer to wait for a cheaper price.
"The mistake they made with retail games"?

You make it sound as if videogame companies have repealed the laws of Econ 101. People already know that just about every non-consumable product will drop in price as it ages, since demand typically drops.

If MS and their XBLA partners would rather keep on receiving close to $0 with a too-high price on rapidly dying XBLA games, rather than maximizing what they can with a lowered price, in order to train consumers that prices will never go down, that is one unorthodox business approach. It makes as little sense with digital content as it would with packaged product.
Old 06-07-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm only somewhat obsessive compulsive. I like achievements, but I'm not an achievement whore, I don't play crappy games just to bump it up, and I don't hunt down all 400 pigeons if the game is no longer fun, just to get an achievement.
Maybe it's the sour grapes argument, but if they have a game that they want 10 bucks for, that I think is worth 5 bucks (for me), and they pull it or threaten to pull it--then they must not want my money. The game is worth 5 bucks to me, not 10....wouldn't they rather make 5 bucks, than none?
The ability to totally control the market in order to train consumers that prices will not go down except should they deign to offer sales is one of the largest and most powerful arguments *against* digital downloads replacing physical media that I can think of.
Old 06-26-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DRM Transfer Tool active. How-to video by Major Nelson: http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=...f-af2b558b6674

I have 4 or 5 games that I bought on my first 360, so I'll be trying this when I get home. Looks pretty easy.
Old 06-26-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

your video send you to a Backstreet Boys vid.

Major Nelson has it embedded so just head over there.
Old 06-26-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, here's the real link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU
Old 06-26-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can only do this once per 12 months? So if your 360 is on the fritz and may go out soon, it's probably best to wait it out.
Old 06-26-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
your video send you to a Backstreet Boys vid.
Good lord Pinata, why was this in your cache?
Old 06-26-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going to blame Microsoft's video player moving on to the next video and updating urls while one tries to copy the original one for his friends to see.

That's the official story I'm going with, but you won't believe it anyway.
Old 06-26-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm going to blame Microsoft's video player moving on to the next video and updating urls while one tries to copy the original one for his friends to see.
Bold, underlined, and italicized - for giving me the .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.