Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
The XBLA Thread Part II

The XBLA Thread Part I
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....24#post8687824

I'll also be picking up that quiz game.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-15-08 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Wow... the first post is mostly off-topic....

Wits and Wagers is a pretty fun trivia game.

I also need to get back to playing Brain Challenge.
Old 05-15-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Wow... the first post is mostly off-topic....

Wits and Wagers is a pretty fun trivia game.

I also need to get back to playing Brain Challenge.
Yeah, but it's Deb and somehow having the thread started by her was ultra important. I guess similar to how many Woots you've bought, having the most threads with the most posts secretly gets you into heaven.

They need to bring Rampart to XBLA.
Old 05-15-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Absolutely!

Wits and Wagers wasn't quite as fun as i was hoping it would be. The demo kind of turned me off to the game.
Old 05-15-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I thought it would have been better than it is, but it still has some good fun to it.
Old 05-15-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My wife and i love trivia games so i snagged the demo and got her to play it. After the 7 round demo she said, "The only thing fun about the game was making my little guy dance."

I guess i was hoping for something a little more like You Don't Know Jack, not an open ended question where i am given like 50 choices to play the closest-without-going-over game.
Old 05-15-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, something like You Don't Know Jack, would have been much better.
Old 05-15-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I think XBLA is begging for a YDKJ game. I like trivia games, but W&W did nothing for me. Contrariwise, I've got every PC YDKJ game except for Sports, and I'd buy an XBLA or XB YDKJ game in a heartbeat, if it kept the same feel/personality.

From the brief video about the PA game, I actually liked the animation, but I don't know if I want to pay 20 bucks for lots of inside jokes (most of which might not be funny, based on the strip) and fruit****ing.
Old 05-16-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does Gatordeb keep starting these threads when she doesn't even play her 360 (according to its blog)?
Old 05-16-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I agree W&W was very little fun (except the dancing guy). What's the point of a trivia game if you can't possibly know the answer? Without that, you're just playing The Price Is Right and betting on your answers. Whoopie!

I forget, don't YDKJ games require type-written answers? If so, forget bringing it to the 360: their letter input sucks. When willl they install a QWERTY interface instead of the awful ABCDE that they have?

Still waiting on Peggle. I got impatient so I bought it for the ipod. Still I love that game so much I'd re-up if it ever finaly came out...
Old 05-16-08, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
I agree W&W was very little fun (except the dancing guy).
Sadly even that grew old on me seeing how the dancing was very basic. I knew it wouldn't be the game for me when I the computer was whooping me in the trial.

I'm actually enjoying Assault Heroes 2 more than I thought I would at least until I came up the space levels. They aren't nearly as fun, especially the one(s) mimicking the Death Star sequence which probably sounded a lot better on paper. Still nothing comes close to Poker Smash for me so far. I just get a kick out of that game.

I find it funny that at least Deb is honest and keeps her 360 blog in her signature. It'd be easy to take it down and be a closet non-player .

Last edited by beesonosu; 05-16-08 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-16-08, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I was taking college courses for fun (paid for by work) but I've decided to focus on my book (15k words so far) and take no more courses, so starting Sunday I should have more time to play

I DO use the XBOX for HD-DVD but it doesn't update the blog, so I get use out of the machine, just not the kind of use that gets recorded. Same for the PS3, it's mostly used as a BD player (I've played maybe 10 minutes on it).

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-16-08 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-16-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed immensely, also in the Wii thread after Hasbro's Game Night announcement, someone asked for Axis & Allies. This is a perfect fit for XBLA. I would buy it and all expansions immediately.

Hell, I'm looking forward to Talisman which my friends and I used to play all the time, but I know the online community will suck.
Old 05-16-08, 02:54 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Yeah, something like You Don't Know Jack, would have been much better.

YDKJ is just screaming to be brought to Live.

I had a blast playing the ride and 5th dementia when you could play online.

1-3 were also a blast.
Old 05-17-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Agreed immensely, also in the Wii thread after Hasbro's Game Night announcement, someone asked for Axis & Allies. This is a perfect fit for XBLA. I would buy it and all expansions immediately.

Hell, I'm looking forward to Talisman which my friends and I used to play all the time, but I know the online community will suck.
Yep. I know board games aren't "cool" with the "hardcore" crowd, but I like board games, anything from Monopoly to Axis and Allies to Illuminati (ok, table games) and sometimes it's difficult to find people locally to play with, and some games are a hassle to set up or are 20-40 bucks, so a 10 bucks XBLA game is a relative bargain. And some, like Talisman, are basically OOP and very hard/expensive to buy. I can't believe there aren't more classic board games on Arcade. I think MS has got a great thing going with the Live Arcade and with the online capabilities, and I know there's got to be a large subcommunity of people who want to play online, but don't want to play twitch games with fifteen year old racistmouthed professional gamers. And as the "average gamer" becomes older and has a family, there's definitely an opportunity for family gaming. With one caveat--more games need to support local single-machine multiplayer. I know on some games it doesn't make a lot of sense--Poker for one--but there would be ways around those challenges. Say the hands are by default hidden, shown only when the player hits LB or something. Or for some games a method like in Culdcept, where each card is a different button, so the opponent can see the cards, but can't tell which one is being played, if any.

Well, when Talisman comes out, keep me in mind, I'll definitely be up for a game. Hmm...apparently the 4th Ed is in print and available. Still, that's one I'd probably pay for the DD, rather than the 45$ physical media price.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 05-17-08 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Yep. I know board games aren't "cool" with the "hardcore" crowd, but I like board games, anything from Monopoly to Axis and Allies to Illuminati (ok, table games) and sometimes it's difficult to find people locally to play with, and some games are a hassle to set up or are 20-40 bucks, so a 10 bucks XBLA game is a relative bargain. And some, like Talisman, are basically OOP and very hard/expensive to buy. I can't believe there aren't more classic board games on Arcade. I think MS has got a great thing going with the Live Arcade and with the online capabilities, and I know there's got to be a large subcommunity of people who want to play online, but don't want to play twitch games with fifteen year old racistmouthed professional gamers. And as the "average gamer" becomes older and has a family, there's definitely an opportunity for family gaming. With one caveat--more games need to support local single-machine multiplayer. I know on some games it doesn't make a lot of sense--Poker for one--but there would be ways around those challenges. Say the hands are by default hidden, shown only when the player hits LB or something. Or for some games a method like in Culdcept, where each card is a different button, so the opponent can see the cards, but can't tell which one is being played, if any.

Well, when Talisman comes out, keep me in mind, I'll definitely be up for a game. Hmm...apparently the 4th Ed is in print and available. Still, that's one I'd probably pay for the DD, rather than the 45$ physical media price.
Agree with all the above. I'm also really into board games (have my collection listed on the Boardgamegeek and everything ) and am looking forward to some of the games that are coming to Live. They have already announced: Puerto Rico, Alhambra, and the aforementioned Talisman. I also heard a version of Cosmic Encounter is in the works.

I'm hoping when i go to Origins in June that i might be able to talk to some of the guys at the booths for the various gaming companies and see if any of them know of more games coming to Live.

Something like Apples to Apples would also be fun and simple.
Old 05-18-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I know that most are pretty down on Xbox Orignials, but thought I'd pass on the announcement :
Xbox Originals: Stubbs the Zombie and Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows
The next titles to be added to the Xbox Originals collection are Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse and Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. Both titles will be available on Marketplace on Monday, May 19th for 1200 points each.

Normally I totally ignore those releases, but I really wanted to try Stubbs a couple of years ago. Some folks here really liked it and I never found that game in stores cheap.
Old 05-20-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ANyone taking the plunge on Penny Arcade this week?
Old 05-20-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Right now, I'm leaning towards it, but going to wait until I try the demo.

Been stocking up on $10 1600 point cards (up to 5 now) thanks to that coupon floating around. Fully intend to PM all of them back down another $5 on Sunday.

So Penny Arcade for $5? Yes please, and suck it everyone. PA, M$, XBLA, haters, lovers, and me.
Old 05-20-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give the demo a shot, I don't really care for their comic but I really like the general idea of the game (text adventure elements with RPG battles) and the character creation looks pretty cool, which is always a bonus for me. I don't expect to buy it though, with something like this it's highly likely that it's for fans only with mediocre gameplay.
Old 05-20-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Right now, I'm leaning towards it, but going to wait until I try the demo.

Been stocking up on $10 1600 point cards (up to 5 now) thanks to that coupon floating around. Fully intend to PM all of them back down another $5 on Sunday.

So Penny Arcade for $5? Yes please, and suck it everyone. PA, M$, XBLA, haters, lovers, and me.
Hook a brotha up yo.

I'll get the demo for sure, and if I like what I see I'll get it.
Old 05-20-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely gonna try the demo. I have no qualms about dropping $20 on it if the demo is fun.
Old 05-20-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't intending to get it but i haven't gotten any Rock Band DLC in like a month. I was actually bored last night going through the games looking for a new shooter to snag.

I was really hoping that one two stick shooter (not Geo Wars or Crystal whatever - the one that all the achievements are colored belt ranks) would have dropped to 5$ by now but the bloody thing is still 10$.

Either way, if the PA demo wows me and people say it actually has a decent length i might consider it. The problem is i am buying things with full cost points now.
Old 05-20-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Hook a brotha up yo.
There is a $10 of 360 games coupon at Target posted on CAG. People are cajoling clueless cashiers into letting them use it on point cards. The coupon won't work on the point cards, but they can override it. Further more, 1600 point cards are going to be $15 in Sunday's add, so you can go back and get the $5 difference back. $5 point cards. I haven't tried yet.
Old 05-20-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Too bad there are no Targets near me. Heck, even 15$ point cards sound decent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.