Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The XBLA Thread Part II

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I downloaded EVERY single game

There HAS to be a way to see a list of games you paid for.
Old 05-30-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your games history for titles you have an achievement in?

I don't believe there's a list anywhere on the box or on xbox.com that would tell you what you purchased. You should know whether or not you purchased something. I have about 40 XBLA games purchased. I couldn't tell you every one off the top of my head, but I could pick them out of a list.
Old 05-30-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
XBL tab -> Account Mgmt (I think) -> Download History. You'll have to scroll through that to see the "Full Game" entries.

Major pain, but it's there.
Old 05-30-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool, thanks Maybe I'll contact MS to see if we can get an "Owned Games" tab. That would be great.
Old 05-30-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Cool, thanks Maybe I'll contact MS to see if we can get an "Owned Games" tab. That would be great.
Why the hell would that be needed? It makes absolutely no sense. There's no possible way you can accidentally buy something again, so what does it matter?
Old 05-30-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you just have a bunch of demos saved?

I'm with Shagrath, can't you just look at your My Games list and see what is owned and which is a demo? They clearly say something like "unlock me now" for a demo. Did you delete a bunch of paid for games to clear space?
Old 05-30-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have every (-every-) game downloaded to the console. I would like a way to quickly list those games that have been purchased. I'll submit a suggestion. If MS deems that it's a good idea they'll implement it, if not, they won't.
Old 05-30-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have every (-every-) game downloaded to the console. I would like a way to quickly list those games that have been purchased. I'll submit a suggestion. If MS deems that it's a good idea they'll implement it, if not, they won't.
I'm sure you could go through your games list and see what's been purchased faster than MS is going to implement an additional feature that probably only you would use.

Ways to find out what games you own
1. Go through your Games List and see what XBLA games you have an achievement in. Most of them practically give the first few away.

2. Go through your Games Library and look at which ones say "Purchase Full Game" or "Upgrade to Full Game" and you obviously don't own those.

3. Go through the Marketplace and to the XBLA section and see which games have a checkmark next to "Full Game Download".

4. Look through a list of available games and remember what you've spent money on.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to go ahead and see what games I own by looking at a list of available titles. Like I said, I think I own 40-50 titles.

6:47 Start
Aegis Wing, Alien Hominid, Arkadian Warriors, Assault Heroes, Bankshot Billiards, Bejeweled 2, Bomberman Live, Boom Boom Rocket, Carcassonne, Castlevania: SOTN, Catan, Cloning Clyde, Contra, Eets: Chowdown, E4, Feeding Frenzy, Geometry Wars, Heavy Weapon, Hexic, Ikaruga, Jetpac Refueled, Lost Cities, Marble Blast Ultra, Poker Smash, Puzzle Quest, Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2, Super Puzzle Fighter II HD Remix, Tetris Splash, Undertow, Uno, Wik, Word Puzzle, and Worms.
6:54 end
Old 05-30-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Apparently, the next XBLA game is Roogoo. It's 800 points. It's a falling block puzzle game in 3D. It got an 8.0 from OXM and looks like it could be pretty fun. If nothing else, it'll be better than TiQal or Boogie Bunnies. I like the Katamri-like palate of this game.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u72h45IozjE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u72h45IozjE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm not sure it'll be great, but I'm so itching to spend some points now that I'll probably get it.

Last edited by Decker; 05-30-08 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-30-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Browse the list of games, play whichever one you want to, if it says "You would have gotten an achievement!" you don't own it; decide to buy it or not.
I've got pretty much all of them downloaded too, and while I don't own nearly as many as Shagrath, it's not been an issue with finding which ones I have. I do need to get out and get some more points though. (I have deleted some that I just totally don't like.)
Old 05-30-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't need to launch the game, it definitely says if it's the trial version or full game in the area to the right when you select it.

I do agree that a 'purchased games' category would make a lot of sense.
Old 06-02-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought I saw an ad on my 360 stating that Aces of the Galaxy is coming out this week, but I don't see that anywhere else. Was it a mistake or an oversight in the news on the web?
Old 06-02-08, 11:07 AM

Apparently, you're right.

Aces of the Galaxy hitting XBLA next week

It seems it's been a trend lately for XBLA games to release in pairs and while we were a bit less than thrilled with this week's releases, next week does look better. In addition to Roogoo, June 4 will also see the release of the co-op space shooter Aces of the Galaxy. Little to nothing has been revealed about the game so far but XBLA thankfully gives us trial versions, and the graphics and co-op play give us more than enough reason to give it try. From what we can infer the game could be worth its 800pt price tag, we just wish Artech had gotten more out there about it.

Might burn through 1600 points this week even without getting Penny Arcade. That clip looked pretty cool.

Last edited by Decker; 06-02-08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-02-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Apparently, the next XBLA game is Roogoo. It's 800 points. It's a falling block puzzle game in 3D. It got an 8.0 from OXM and looks like it could be pretty fun. If nothing else, it'll be better than TiQal or Boogie Bunnies. I like the Katamri-like palate of this game.

I'm not sure it'll be great, but I'm so itching to spend some points now that I'll probably get it.
To me, this looks like nothing more than a child's "put the block into the same-shaped hole" game.
Old 06-02-08, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
To me, this looks like nothing more than a child's "put the block into the same-shaped hole" game.
Well, it kinda is, but with aliens blocking the holes. Actually it's like a lot of other "falling block games except you're shifting the holes rather than the blocks.
I'll demo it and see, but like I said it got a pretty good review and I think it'll be worth checking out
Old 06-03-08, 12:54 AM

IGN has their early review up for Aces of the Galaxy . It sounds kinda challenging. Still looks to be pretty fun, but I wish it wasn't so old schooled about advancing in the game. No saves? No continues? No starting at a later level? I'll never get close to seeing the end of this game. Here's that depressing passage in the review:
The non-automatic chain gun isn't the only throwback choice Artech made with Aces of the Galaxy. In true hardcore arcade fashion, each game is a one-shot chance at glory with no continues, no saves, no checkpoints and no quarter. There's also no "opening up" of levels in Aces of the Galaxy for later play. If you die in level seven, there's no going back to play previous levels a la carte.

Anyway, here's their bottom line :
Closing Comments
Aces of the Galaxy is a solid, well-balanced space shooter that delivers a fun and fast Xbox Live Arcade experience. What it sometimes lacks in pacing and excitement it mostly makes up for in character and presentation. If you're at all a fan of the genre, and if you hate the Skurgians as much as we do, give this one a try.

IGN Ratings for Aces of the Galaxy (X360)Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
7.5 Presentation
There are very few bells and whistles here, but that's OK. The overall package is streamlined and strong.
8.0 Graphics
There are a lot of "wow" moments in Aces of the Galaxy, but there are some rough spots too. As a whole, though, it's a looker.
8.5 Sound
The soothing electronic music is catchy without grating on your nerves. Missile sound effect is great.
8.0 Gameplay
Playing through Aces is mostly a thrill, if a bit monotonous at times. Weapon mix is fun and well-balanced. Bosses would be icing on the space cake.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
There are achievements for hitting score benchmarks in each level at every track. That means playing the game through at least 3 times. Separate leaderboards for single-player and co-op.
Impressive OVERALL
Old 06-03-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Does anyone know when the remake of 1942 is suppose to hit? The game video had me drooling.
Old 06-03-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
IGN has their early review up for Aces of the Galaxy . It sounds kinda challenging. Still looks to be pretty fun, but I wish it wasn't so old schooled about advancing in the game. No saves? No continues? No starting at a later level? I'll never get close to seeing the end of this game. Here's that depressing passage in the review:
The non-automatic chain gun isn't the only throwback choice Artech made with Aces of the Galaxy. In true hardcore arcade fashion, each game is a one-shot chance at glory with no continues, no saves, no checkpoints and no quarter. There's also no "opening up" of levels in Aces of the Galaxy for later play. If you die in level seven, there's no going back to play previous levels a la carte.
Eff that. I know some people love games that have that sort of annoying "old school" difficulty, but I can't stand it. Going back to the games I enjoyed as a kid which have no way to save or continue has made me realize that I had infinitely more patience back then. These days, if a game does something like that and wears on my nerves, I'll just drop it and move on to something else. I have plenty of games to play and won't waste my time on something that's more frustrating than fun. That's not to say that I want games to be easy, but lack of continues or checkpoints is a cheap and artificial way to increase a game's difficulty in my opinion.

Okay, rant over. I will check out both demos tomorrow. Roogoo looks interesting - I think that the similarity to the classic "put the shape in the right hole" infant toy is giving people the impression that the game is overly simplistic or aimed at little kids, but the gameplay trailer I saw makes it seem like there's more nuance to it than you might think. I guess the demo will clear that up one way or the other.
Old 06-03-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does noone play Wits and Wagers? I never find anyone to play. I go to Play, then A, Then in the menu of Play Now, Invite A Friend, or Quick Match, I press Quick Match, and it always says no games have been found, hostin, but no one joins by the time the timer gets to 0 and it autostarts a game with pc opponents.
Old 06-03-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So the date for Bionic Commando Rearmed is now what July? Damn I was hoping that one would be out by now.
Old 06-03-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does noone play Wits and Wagers? I never find anyone to play. I go to Play, then A, Then in the menu of Play Now, Invite A Friend, or Quick Match, I press Quick Match, and it always says no games have been found, hostin, but no one joins by the time the timer gets to 0 and it autostarts a game with pc opponents.
Using this as reference,
http://www.360voice.com/game.asp?game=Wits+%26+Wagers
nope - hardly anyone* is playing at all.

*Anyone signed up on the 360 voice that is....
Old 06-03-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
from an interview with the developer of Bionic Commando:

The 2D revision, Bionic Commando Rearmed, got an M rating. That’s almost insane.

(BJ) There's a certain rating organization that is on my ass, so I have to be very careful how I position this. Let's say this: there are two or three things that any fan will say make Bionic Commando great. One will no doubt the swing mechanic. Two will no doubt be a certain dictator's head exploding. Some people will say 'it better have Hitler in it or I'm not going to buy it,' while others will say 'I'd better see the head exploding, or else!' Since that really is what probably fifty per cent plus of fans equate with Bionic Commando, we had to give them the money shot. Those five seconds are what give it the M rating. We've cut those seconds from the Japanese version and it got a 'B' rating, which is 12 and up. It's a 2D game with an M rating for five seconds. Booya. It's worth it.
Old 06-04-08, 01:36 AM

Review of Roogoo is up now at IGN.

...When you first see it, you'd think any kindergartener could play Roogoo. Heck, you might be right, at least for the first couple of stages. After all, all you're doing is lining up a square block with a square hole, a triangle block with a triangle hole, etc... But then it gets faster, obstacles start getting in your way, two more blocks are thrown into the mix making things even more hectic, and all the while you're worried about collecting enough of those little suckers to make it to the bottom of the level.

One of the best things about Roogoo is how it's able to keep throwing wrenches into its gameplay formula to keep it feeling fresh. One level you might have five blocks (heart, star, cylinder, triangle and square) to tinker with, furiously rotating platform after platform; other times you might have only three shapes to worry about, but the level has timed hatches periodically covering the all-important holes. Then there are times when you'll need to stack a huge number of blocks on top of one another in order to clear the stage and times when pretty little butterflies will come swooping in and make you play the level backwards by picking up your stack of blocks and carrying them back up the sequence of platforms....

Closing Comments
So while Roogoo might look like a standard falling-block puzzler when you first lay your eyes on it, after taking it out for a spin for about an hour or so, its fun factor becomes apparent. It does a good job of keeping the gameplay fresh and increasingly challenging throughout the 45 stages. Couple that with the multiplayer content and Roogoo’s package is enough to justify the 800 Microsoft Point expenditure.

IGN Ratings for Roogoo (X360)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
8.0 Presentation
Easy to navigate menus that keep the Roogoo feel, but the online options should include a party system so play can continue after one match.
8.0 Graphics
Nothing too fancy but what’s here works, especially when it comes to those cute little aliens. Few framerate drops don’t hurt much.
8.5 Sound
A soundtrack that sticks with the themes of the game very well. Roogoo succeeds in being effective in its audio delivery but not over-bearing or redundant.
9.0 Gameplay
The strategy that you’ll need to use changes throughout Roogoo but it’s always fun and exciting. Later levels will turn your brain to mush.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Only 45 levels is actually a little shallow for an XBLA puzzler, but the multiplayer is fun despite its design flaws and the single-player, while short, is no cake walk.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Sounds pretty good. Sounds like a likely purchase to me. Maybe that "Aces" game too, but the difficulty might frighten me off. Heck, that's the reason I don't own Ikaruga, despite the stellar reviews.
Old 06-04-08, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Eff that. I know some people love games that have that sort of annoying "old school" difficulty, but I can't stand it. Going back to the games I enjoyed as a kid which have no way to save or continue has made me realize that I had infinitely more patience back then. These days, if a game does something like that and wears on my nerves, I'll just drop it and move on to something else.
Not that those games don't have a place for people who want them, but I agree. These days I cannot be bothered with this kind of "difficulty". I just don't care to spend hours memorizing patterns and hoping I get lucky.

No thank you.
Old 06-04-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Not that those games don't have a place for people who want them, but I agree. These days I cannot be bothered with this kind of "difficulty". I just don't care to spend hours memorizing patterns and hoping I get lucky.

No thank you.
Yeah, I suppose I should clarify and agree with your comment that there is definitely a place for those sort of games. I know a lot of people enjoy them and it's good that those games exist. They're just not for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.