Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best way to hook up multiple consoles to a HDTV?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure this is a basic question, but I just want to make sure here. I recently bought a 26 inch Vizio HDTV and would like to know what you guys think is the best way to hook up multiple consoles.

I have the 360 using the component input, my regular DVD player in the side AV inputs, and When I get a PS3 in June I'll use HDMI. That leaves me with my Wii though.

I've just been unhooking my DVD player and plugging the Wii in there, but as you all know it looks pretty horrible. What sort of box would I need to use component cables for the Wii and the 360? I can't have both the 360 and the Wii hooked up to the TV using component cables since there's only one set of inputs for it. What is the cheapest way to go about this?
Old 05-14-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
System Selector
Old 05-14-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^That doesn't have HDMI, although if he just has one HDMI device it would be fine.
Old 05-14-08, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Monoprice has this for $26 + shipping. Mixed reviews on their website.

ATLONA 4 Port Component Video Switch w/ IR Learning

Old 05-14-08, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Drexl
^That doesn't have HDMI, although if he just has one HDMI device it would be fine.
He said he's looking for multiple component cable devices, but I agree, if the devices can do HDMI, I'd go that route with a switch. (I have no idea if XBox 360 and Wii have cables for HDMI)
Old 05-14-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't believe the Wii has HDMI, and I'm pretty sure the version of 360 I own doesn't have it either.

I just can't believe how meh the Wii looks without component cables. I really notice it on No More Heroes, and while something like Mario Galaxy isn't quite as bad, it's still not where it needs to be.

The TV I have has two HDMI inputs, so if I happen to get a 360 with that, or something else, I have that covered. The only thing I really need is a way to have two things hooked up at the same time using component cables.

Last edited by Brent L; 05-14-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Read the first post.
Old 05-14-08, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
360 - No HDMI
Wii - No HDMI
PS3 - HDMI
DVD - ? HDMI or Component.

I would buy a system selector. In fact I have the one pictured above. Hook your 360, Wii and DVD player to it. PS3 to HDMI and you're good to go. That leaves two free Component Jacks in the event you add to your collection.
Old 05-14-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Terk makes an excellent 3 port HDMI switcher. It has an auto-select feature(which doesn't work with my 360 for some reason). Its $99 at Best Buy.

Last edited by Robert; 05-14-08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just bought a receiver w/ multiple (3 IIRC) HDMI inputs[1] and have that connected to the TV via HDMI as well. It means I can't play a game w/o turning on the receiver... but why would I want to do otherwise

[1] 1 for the PS3, 1 for the Xbox360 (which "shares" the component input w/ the carousel DVD player), 1 for the cable box/DVR... there's a stand alone Oppo that is connected to another component input as well but I don't use that much anymore as the PS3 has become the primary stand alone player (getting things in and out of the carousel player for a single movie is a chore/not worth it).
Old 05-14-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Get a receiver if you have or plan to ever have a multiple speaker setup.
Old 05-14-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Read the first post.
Well, I didn't know how many of his components actually could use HDMI. He didn't say in the OP whether his 360 was an HDMI model.
Old 05-14-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Robert
Terk makes an excellent 3 port HDMI switcher. It has an auto-select feature(which doesn't work with my 360 for some reason). Its $99 at Best Buy.

Am I the only one following the OP's post other than Trigger?

He will have ONE unit that uses HDMI, the PS3. He has ONE HDMI input on his TV. Why would he need a HDMI switcher? The 360, Wii and DVD player are all component. You need a component switcher.
Old 05-14-08, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

What am I, chopped hamburger?
Old 05-14-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
No, you're a sexual partner for some police officer in New Jersey.
Old 05-14-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Cow

chopped hamburger = the cow

well played.
Old 05-14-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, you're a sexual partner for some police officer in New Jersey.
Thats a way homer, I was on my way out of the thread when I got that.
Old 05-15-08, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

He will have ONE unit that uses HDMI, the PS3. He has ONE HDMI input on his TV. Why would he need a HDMI switcher? The 360, Wii and DVD player are all component. You need a component switcher.
I agree. If I were to purchase a PS3 that's how I'd do it since it would be the only unit requiring HDMI. However, getting a switcher that has HDMI now would mean he wouldn't have to buy one later if something else HDMI is added.
Old 05-15-08, 05:21 AM

I still would recommend buying a receiver actually. He could use the HDMI connection from that to connect to the TV (buying one w/ multiple HDMI inputs would mean he's ready for the future) and all the other component/composite devices can go into the receiver and then to the TV over the HDMI connection. Unless the TV has multiple input this is the cleanest way to do it, plus you get the nice surround sound
Old 05-15-08, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nemein
I still would recommend buying a receiver actually. He could use the HDMI connection from that to connect to the TV (buying one w/ multiple HDMI inputs would mean he's ready for the future) and all the other component/composite devices can go into the receiver and then to the TV over the HDMI connection. Unless the TV has multiple input this is the cleanest way to do it, plus you get the nice surround sound
Man, it's like I'm trying to get a point across on CAG. Everyone seems to have checked reading comprehension at the door in this thread. A receiver would be a great method but from the first post:

What is the cheapest way to go about this?
Old 05-15-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I appreciate the help and advice about the receiver and everything. That will be great down the line, but right now I just want to have everyone looking as great as possible on this TV. By the time I get a receiver and all of that, I'll likely have a totally different TV. As quoted right above, I want the cheapest option to get the best picture for what I listed.
Old 05-15-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could try something like this

There is a disclaimer however:

(*)NOTE: The three AV plugs for each console should NOT be connected to their respective consoles simultaneously. Only one console should be connected for the cable to function properly. If more than one consoles are connected, even if it is set to "off" loss of audio or video may occur, but there will not be any damages done to the console.

So, instead of plugging/unplugging at the back of the TV you would have to unplug the Wii to play the 360/unplug the 360 to play the Wii (definitely not ideal, but might be more "convenient" then getting to the back of the TV)
Old 05-15-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a lot of trouble with component video switchers...from the picture blanking out on bright white screens to ghosting at 720p/1080i.

I owned a Pelican system selector and a 4-port one that BB sold (I forget the name).

This is the only cheap unit I found that didn't **** up HD signals. I was recommended this by a forum buddy @ LCVG.

http://affiliate.buy.com/gateway.asp...54&dcaid=17902

(see buy.com purchase choice below for $40.24)...minus google checkout $10 if you can do that.

I ended up getting a receiver with more inputs and sold it to another forum buddy who was very happy with it.

The ABSOLUTE cheapest thing you can do is get a mechanical composite video switch - the oldschool basic kind without s-video or power or anything. That will also work great if you're OK with physically pressing the button.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-15-08 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 03:59 PM

Man, it's like I'm trying to get a point across on CAG. Everyone seems to have checked reading comprehension at the door in this thread. A receiver would be a great method but from the first post:
In all fairness the title say "Best" and the "Best" is a receiver
Old 05-15-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
This is the only cheap unit I found that didn't **** up HD signals. I was recommended this by a forum buddy @ LCVG.
I've had an 8 port Pelican component switcher which I upgraded (downgraded?) to a 4 port Psyclone w/remote. I haven't had a lick of trouble with either with HD signals. I've used the Xbox, GCN, Wii, 360, PS3, cablebox, DVD player and Tivo at various times and no problems with any of them.