Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

You know what I hate? (Gamer rep)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mordred
Maybe if you played GH3 with regular hands instead of your bionic robo-hands this wouldn't happen.
But it took years of R&D and an untold sum of government dollars to not be put to some kind of use...
Old 05-14-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky me i guess, i don't even know what game rep is

Seriously tho, it's annoying, nothing worse than sour losers messing up your reputation.
Old 05-14-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Gamer rep was a great idea on paper but has proven to be very ineffective in practice.
Old 05-14-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Gamer rep was a great idea on paper but has proven to be very ineffective in practice.
exactly. I do like that we can mark people with an avoid flag, but the star ratings are essentially useless.
Old 05-14-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I haven't seen you online when i play, plus you'll beat me.
If he does, just ding him.. I don't see the problem..
Old 05-14-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

rep doesn't seem to work for me.
I have like 39% positive "or did not submit a review" and
61% negative

I play maybe 100 matches of Halo a week. Does that mean 61% of the thousands of people I play are submitting bad reviews? I highly doubt that since I never speak to people and I'm pretty good. "Did not submit a review" is a false statement. it's really a percentage withing the review people submit. Most people don't submit reviews. Most games don't account for the rep when pairing. So i report cheating and that's about it.
Old 05-14-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
rep doesn't seem to work for me.
I have like 39% positive "or did not submit a review" and
61% negative

I play maybe 100 matches of Halo a week. Does that mean 61% of the thousands of people I play are submitting bad reviews? I highly doubt that since I never speak to people and I'm pretty good. "Did not submit a review" is a false statement. it's really a percentage withing the review people submit. Most people don't submit reviews. Most games don't account for the rep when pairing. So i report cheating and that's about it.
1. Well, first of all if you're really as good as you say people may be Avoiding you and giving you bad review because you kicked their ass. There are lots of little bitch players like that.

It happened to me just the other day. I'm not the most talented gamer, but every once in a while the Gaming Gawds throw me a bone and I'm able to have a good online match. I had a good game on Lost Planet a couple days ago and sure enough, someone accused me of being "unsporting". I don't cheat and I don't do cheap kills like spawnkilling so I know it was totalfuckinbullshit.

2. Please correct me if I'm wrong folks but it is my understanding that....Your rep(Who avoided you and who didn't) can recover over time as you play online matches with no one avoiding you, if no one submits any reviews either way, or if people submit Positive reviews. So "Did not submit" is correct.

3. I don't think many know that you can still "Avoid" someone and -NOT- ding their rep. But where the fun in that right? j/k Anyway, you can do this by Avoiding them due to Player Skill. Apparently, you can avoid them for being Too Good, Not Good enough, or for Not having an understanding of the game. Supposedly this helps to balance matches. Does it work? Who knows.

Also, on the topic of Avoiding... I think there are rare times when you may get put together with them anyway if matchmaking is having a tough time finding enough people. I know I've avoided people only to have them in matches a day or two later. But on that day not many were online playing this particular game so I didn't sweat it.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-14-08 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Also, on the topic of Avoiding... I think there are rare times when you may get put together with them anyway if matchmaking is having a tough time finding enough people. I know I've avoided people only to have them in matches a day or two later. But on that day not many were online playing this particular game so I didn't sweat it.
This has happened to me on CoD when there aren't enough games going on late during the middle of the week.
Old 05-14-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My rep took its first hits when i was playing SFII and MK3 online. It super cracked me up because everyone was just playing E. Honda and spamming the thousand hand slap except for me. But if i got around their slap and kicked them out of it due to timing then i got dinged for unsporting conduct.

Assclowns.

And Liver - that is how those games should be played. Trade all of a resource away and then monopoly that shit back. Steal cities in Carc. Hoard in Catan. Pin them in a corner with a road. I think the people who whine about those tactics would break down in tears if they actually played a board game tabletop with real strategy gamers.
Old 05-14-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do I check my rep?
Old 05-14-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
click on your gamertag and choose "view rep."
Old 05-15-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dinged a few people that quit early in Rockband.