Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread - Part 2!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official GTA IV - multi console super friends thread - Part 2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
Same thing happened to me, but I was doing the "Street Sweeper" mission.

So I don't spoil it for anyone, I won't use any names or what the mission is about. Anyways, after killing a couple of people and killing a driver, I took his car and drove off. After I got to where I wanted to go I stopped and got out of the car, and then I noticed that a dead guy was sitting in the front seat beside me. I take him out of the car and Niko says "get out of the car!"
Count me in as one as well - only when I pulled the dead guy out of his car after my mission, Nikko said: "I need this more than yoooooou"
Old 05-17-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Is it difficult to get an online date? I've been turned down four times now. Do I have to just pick the right one or is it random?
Spoiler:
I think you have to do the mission for Brucie first where you go on a date with French Tom. After that, they create a profile for you, and you can date three girls. Lawchick, Sobohoe, and I forget the other one but she's on Craplist, and has an ad from Lancaster. Any other girls, besides Michelle and Kate who are part of the story, will not respond to your "date" request.
Old 05-18-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rival11
Count me in as one as well - only when I pulled the dead guy out of his car after my mission, Nikko said: "I need this more than yoooooou"
Old 05-18-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about That Special Someone

Spoiler:
I pulled a Limey and let the guy live. What would have happened if I killed him? I've beaten the game so it's cool to tell me. I went and killed Dimitri and then went to the wedding. Kate was killed there. So then chased down the mafia guy after about 200 tries finished the last mission. What would've happened if I let the guy live and what would have happened if I didn't kill Dimitri?
Old 05-18-08, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
About those cabs again - make sure you not only whistle, but also get the popup message to press the button to enter as a passenger. That way you know the game has done whatever it does to allow you to get a ride rather than take it. Also, I've noticed that cabs with passengers won't stop when I whistle, so look for an empty cab.
Old 05-18-08, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Niko and Vlad guest star on SNL:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/abSgaDOv_u4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/abSgaDOv_u4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I warn you... it's not really that funny.
Old 05-18-08, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Question about That Special Someone

Spoiler:
I pulled a Limey and let the guy live. What would have happened if I killed him? I've beaten the game so it's cool to tell me. I went and killed Dimitri and then went to the wedding. Kate was killed there. So then chased down the mafia guy after about 200 tries finished the last mission. What would've happened if I let the guy live and what would have happened if I didn't kill Dimitri?
Spoiler:
Killing "That Special Someone" is the only live-or-die situation which has no effect on the future outcome. It's merely to see what kind of person you are. The dialog will change a bit on the drive home as well. As for letting Dimitri live, if you go to make the deal:

• You meet up with a man to pick up the money
  • Dimitri calls and says "Why don't I kill these guys here and we can have the drugs and the money?"
  • You have to fight your way further into the enemy compound to steal the money
  • And then escape
  • Afterwards
  • Kate is upset that you didn't follow your heart and avoid the deal
  • So she decides not to go
  • At the wedding, Roman Dies
  • You decide to seek revenge, and then end up doing practically the same final mission
  • Except you're chasing Dimitri and that mob guy
  • Dimitri kills the mob boss
  • Instead of chasing him to Happiness Island via motorbike then chopper
  • You chase him via motorboat, then chopping, ducking and weaving through the city
  • You end up in the same spot, and Niko walks away without finishing Dimitri off, who is laying bleeding to death.

I saved my game when I could make the two different choices but decided to go with the "Revenge" route after I did both, only because Roman amuses me and he offers me free Taxi rides.
Old 05-18-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, I've noticed that cabs with passengers won't stop when I whistle, so look for an empty cab.
If an occupied cab is waiting in traffic you can still get in by holding "Y". The passenger gets out and complains but the cabbie doesn't mind

Quick question; I'm about 34% done and I'm on my 10th try for the "Paper trail" mission. I have to follow this other helicopter in the city and I always get a "failed mission" (you lost the target) within 10 seconds

I usually did good with the other helicopter missions but no timer or chase was involved. I press the right trigger to get some elevation and tilt the left stick forward but I always nose-dive in the process and have to press right trigger again to get higher. Is there a way to keep the same altitude AND go forward? Thanks

Darkfriend, the dumbest helicopter driver evar.
Old 05-18-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Spoiler:
Killing "That Special Someone" is the only live-or-die situation which has no effect on the future outcome. It's merely to see what kind of person you are. The dialog will change a bit on the drive home as well. As for letting Dimitri live, if you go to make the deal:

• Dimitri calls and says "Why don't I kill these guys here and we can have the drugs and the money?"
  • And then escape
  • Afterwards
  • You decide to seek revenge, and then end up doing practically the same final mission
  • You chase him via motorboat, then chopping, ducking and weaving through the city
  • You end up in the same spot, and Niko walks away without finishing Dimitri off, who is laying bleeding to death.

I saved my game when I could make the two different choices but decided to go with the "Revenge" route after I did both, only because Roman amuses me and he offers me free Taxi rides.
That's very cool. Yeah, Kate never put out anyway.
Old 05-18-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Spoiler:

• And then escape
  • Afterwards

This ending seemed completely out of character for Niko and I never even considered it. I finished up the game today at 73% and 40 hours of play. The game is pretty amazing and I was happy to see the final two combat heavy missions pretty reasonable in their difficulty. Difficult, but not frustratingly hard. I failed the final mission 3 times, but only because
Spoiler:
even 40 hours in I still don't drive the bikes very well and kept missing the jump.

BTW, the game rewards the hell out of you for getting your friendship high with everyone and also doing the online dating with Carmen and Kiki (Alex's reward is crap BTW). You can use these perks, especially Dwayne, to make some of the later missions a bit easier to deal with. So the dating and hanging out is very important when you get to the last third or so of the game.

I'm still playing it. I finished all the Assassin missions and have to be close to finishing the cars for Steve. Still have to do some drug deals for LJ, the cop car stuff and of course find all the jumps and pigeons. I may even try the races at some point to get 100% and I'm still driving around trying to find all the random encounter missions.

My final opinion is the game still has a few buggy issues, minor graphical issues and control problems to keep it from being a perfect 10, but it is damn close. I found it getting closer to that 10 score the more I played it. Rockstar nailed the pacing, nailed the story and all the dialog and humor in the game and the gameplay is better than all the previous versions. I loved the new combat, and felt they packed the world with things to do and enjoy. I still feel the driving needs work for future games and the AI in the game is still pretty stupid when not being scripted.

Considering how ambitious this game is though I really can't complain much. I have loved their games since GTA III and this one stands above all the previous ones. The only place my previous favorite Vice City competes is soundtrack. Outside of the Jazz station this game has the worst music of any version but GTA III. I really hope custom soundtracks get added at some point.

Last edited by darkside; 05-18-08 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-20-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally finished the game at 77%, not sure what else I have to do besides the stunt jumps and all those damn pigeons. I've hunted down all the most wanted with the cop cars, I'm giving it to all the girls you can, done all the races as far as I can tell.

This is a fun GTA, but overall I don't think it's a perfect game. Some things are more polished now for sure, I like being able to take taxis everywhere, I enjoyed the story more than San Andreas, the combat controls are greatly improved, and the cop car missions are a lot more fun. Hell all the little touches like the computer in the cop cars, the internet system, the phone system...the game is pretty deep and involved. And the graphics are a HUGE improvement, including the way the characters contort when you plow into them with your car (too pleasurable).

But some of the same annoying crap is still there - like having to start missions over sometimes driving forever to get back to what you were doing, and even hunting down weapons again before you do it. Dumb and frustrating. And is it just me, or did they completely ruin the bikes in this game? I think the cars handle great, at least the better cars handle great making it an incentive to search those out, but riding motorcycles was one of my favorite things in the previous GTAs, and I've barely touched any this time. Maybe I just need more practice with them.

And the last mission:
Spoiler:
I had to replay this mission so many times because half the time either the boat would get blown up by a rocket while I was trying to get in, or dumbfuck Jacob would crash the helicopter into the water before I could jump into it, and then he would just take off and I would be screwed. I wasn't sure I was going to beat the game cause I wanted to pull my hair out!

But still, I couldn't wait to get back to the game usually, and I'll still putz around in it. I'm kinda glad the story is done actually, I don't know how much more of Niko's whining I can take lol. I'd put this second behind Vice City as my favorite GTA.
Old 05-20-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
Finally finished the game at 77%, not sure what else I have to do besides the stunt jumps and all those damn pigeons. I've hunted down all the most wanted with the cop cars, I'm giving it to all the girls you can, done all the races as far as I can tell.
Simple but maybe overlooked: have you won a game of darts, a game of pool, and a 10-round game of bowling, and beat the high score in the arcade game? Those account for a total of 5%.
Old 05-20-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, on craplist on the seeking section, are they accurate or just an interesting read. If someone says they are going to be a certain location at a certain time, are they really there?
Old 05-20-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
So, on craplist on the seeking section, are they accurate or just an interesting read. If someone says they are going to be a certain location at a certain time, are they really there?
I ended up meeting with Carmen on a second try. I was in the middle of a police pursuit the first time and couldn't get to our appointment and she got pissed. I've also done this with Kiki, so I'm waiting for her ad to pop up on lovemeet.com again.

I have a date with 'liberated woman' in a couple of GTA days. So we'll see about that. Time seems to fly by super quick in game. I kept checking my cellphone to keep track of time and thought I had more than enough time to get to Kiki. When I started a mission at 5am, little did I know it would soon be well past my meet time of 12 noon with Kiki.
Old 05-20-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Simple but maybe overlooked: have you won a game of darts, a game of pool, and a 10-round game of bowling, and beat the high score in the arcade game? Those account for a total of 5%.
Good tip, I'll try those. I know I've won bowling and darts for sure, but not the others. I've been cruising around trying to find the random people on the street you can interact with, found a few more. One was overly disturbing.

Pretty much at this point just going on rampages, but my huge bank account is dwindling away with as many times as I've died (or commited suicide). Once it's gone I guess I'll have to resort to cheat codes.
Old 05-20-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm at 80% right now and looking for more to do. I haven't done the video game machine so that is a good one to try next. I finished the cars for Steve, LJs drug missions and Vigilante, but still need more "Most Wanted".

The problem for me is going to be the races since I hate driving and finding those damn pigeons. I may have to break down and use my laptop with an online map and slowly go through and find them all. They are really well hidden.
Old 05-20-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-20-08, 07:17 PM

^ Yes.
Old 05-20-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is the infamous lollipop chick in the game somewhere? I'm done and never saw her.
Old 05-20-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by missingtoof
^ Yes.
Good to know!
Old 05-20-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
I hate racing missions. Never been good at them. Arggh.
Old 05-20-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Is the infamous lollipop chick in the game somewhere? I'm done and never saw her.
According to IGN, you go to the Police Database and search the name Lola Del Rio, I tried it but I think I need to be further in the game to find her.

When can I start hanging out with Dwayne? I chose him over Playboy, but since picked I haven't been able to get a hold of him. Every time I call it just goes to voice mail and doesn't give me options to hang out with him like Roman or Brucie.

And does Kate ever put out?
Old 05-21-08, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by outcastja
According to IGN, you go to the Police Database and search the name Lola Del Rio, I tried it but I think I need to be further in the game to find her.

When can I start hanging out with Dwayne? I chose him over Playboy, but since picked I haven't been able to get a hold of him. Every time I call it just goes to voice mail and doesn't give me options to hang out with him like Roman or Brucie.

And does Kate ever put out?
Dwayne will contact you eventualy.

And Kate never puts out!
Old 05-21-08, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ch_type=both&d

Old 05-21-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

He should've said, "This car's only if you really want to be an alpha."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.