Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by Raul3
They are everywhere. As long as they can keep that many stores open, they will always be an option. Yeah, moms, teenagers, grandpas, etc.

It's always easier to drive 5 mins, or even walk!, and get whatever videogame gift you were planning, than ordering online and wait. Or in Best Buy case drive 30 mins or so, fight hordes, etc. to get the videogame gift you want.
Are they?

I have two Targets, a Wal-Mart and a Best Buy closer to my house than a GS. Not to mention, the media dept at Target gets me checked out way quicker than GS, since there's only one employee at a GS, and they're usually taking their sweet ass time on the customers before me.
Old 01-14-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I was at a mall last weekend that had a GS at each end. lazy-ass soccer moms.
Old 01-14-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

There's an intersection less than a mile from my house with Gamestops on each side of the street on the same corner. There used to be a 3rd Gamestop in the mall on a third corner in the same intersection, but that one is gone now. There is another one less than 2 miles down the same road though.
Old 01-14-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Gamestop did buy out a few other game stores some time back, which may be why there are multiples in some malls, but at least around me most reduced to one store.
Old 02-23-16, 08:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Is it typical for Gamestop stores not to match the deals available on gamestop.com?

I went in as I was considering the Xbox One + Gears + RotTR + $50 card deal, but the clerk said that deal was over. I said it was online, and he 'looked it up' and said, "nope. Over."

WTF? Did I just go to a shitty location or something, or do they really run totally different promotions between the website and retail stores?
Old 02-23-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

That's why you should have you smartphone on you and show him that it's not over.
Old 02-23-16, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

According to their FAQ online:

Will I pay the online price or the store price?
You will be paying at the store, so you'll pay the store price on the day you pick up. Most of the time our online prices and store prices are similar. Although we strive to keep our online and in-store pricing consistent, we occasionally come across special online deals that cannot be duplicated in stores or special in-store deals that cannot be duplicated online for various reasons. Rather than pass over these opportunities, we choose to allow our customers to take advantage of them.
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/hops_info/

Still, the policy is crappy and idiotic
Old 02-24-16, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local gamestop doesn't even match their own deals they advertise or have posted in the store.
Old 02-01-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://kotaku.com/new-gamestop-progr...ium=Socialflow

Have you gone to GameStop over the past few months and tried to buy a new game? Have they told you that it’s not in stock? They may simply be lying to you, fueled by a new program that discourages GameStop salespeople from selling unopened copies of video games.

The program, called “Circle of Life,” gives each GameStop store different percentage quotas for 1) pre-orders; 2) reward card subscriptions; 3) used game sales; and 4) game trade-ins. Each of these quotas is based on the store’s total transactions. Pre-orders and reward cards subscriptions are based on the number of transactions, while used game sales and trade-ins are based on the total dollar value of transactions. If a store’s quota for used game sales is 30%, and the store sells $1,000 worth of merchandise, GameStop expects at least $300 of that merchandise to be pre-owned.

So if someone walks into GameStop and picks up, say, a brand new copy of Yakuza 0 without 1) pre-ordering another game, 2) subscribing for a new rewards card, 3) buying a used game, or 4) trading in some games to help pay for it, then the transaction will knock down all four percentages.

The more new games an employee sells, the more used games they’ll have to sell to make up for it.
In other words, according to salespeople speaking to Kotaku and elsewhere on the internet, GameStop is incentivizing employees to stop people from buying new games and hardware. GameStop staff say the company has threatened to fire people who don’t hit these quotas, which is leading to all sorts of scuzzy tactics.
Brilliant!
Old 02-01-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

^So, when buying a new game, also bring up a pricey used game. Then change your mind on the used game after said new game is produced for sale.
Old 02-01-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's American Corporate business culture for you. Upper management comes up with something with quotas/sales percentages, which is the only thing they understand. They then make the regional/district managers bonuses related to the new effort, they in turn force the store managers to care about it by making their job be based on how well they reach these goals. Then the managers make the retail level employees have to make these by any means necessary. In this case it was determined that refusing sales at retail level in order to keep percentages in line is ok, since upper management ONLY cares about these numbers. They will be patting themselves on the back at corporate for reaching these targets, blind to what is actually going on.

Sorry about my rant, but I just see the same thing type of corporate mindset at my large company. I was laughing at the Wells Fargo scandal (opening unauthorized accounts) due to sales goals set by an out of touch corporate base, because it reminded me so much of my job. Whenever these numbers become the top priority, employees do whatever they can to reach these targets to keep their jobs, even in questionable/unethical ways. Customers usually are the ones who suffer most (and low rung employees), but as long as the numbers are met so the upper management get their bonuses all is well. When it comes out, corporate will blame the low rung employees even though their metrics are the reason it happened in the first place.
Old 02-02-17, 12:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The quotas are nothing new, although it sounds like they have gotten higher since I worked there. I remember when I was a manager, they took the loyalty card that was $5 and attached it to a Game Informer subscription for $25 IIRC (it might have been $15 but I think it was $25). Corporate came up with all these pitches to sell people on the idea of paying $25 upfront and likely not seeing any discounts on their purchase (I don't remember at what point they started saving money, but it wasn't with the purchase of a single new game).

Well, not surprisingly, card subscriptions plummeted almost immediately. And corporate was fucking pissed. They put pressure on the district managers to get the numbers up. I remember getting phone calls from my DM asking why my numbers were low. I told them that very few people considered the new program a deal, and most people don't want a physical magazine sent to their house these days (2007). He told me I must be pitching it wrong, and so I rattled off all the corporate pitches they had taught us, not just from memory but as an actual pitch, as if I believed their bullshit about it being a good deal.

The DM was absolutely stumped as to why my numbers weren't better. I had all the pitches down. Corporate said it would work. He couldn't fathom that maybe the people working their stores would know the customers better than some number crunchers at the corporate headquarters.

They truly are a clueless, awful company. I haven't bought a game from them in years and don't intend to start back up ever again.
Old 02-02-17, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Why do you guys buy at Gamestop with Best Buy and Amazon being so convenient and reasonable?
Old 02-02-17, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I only ever used to shop at GameStop due to trade in deals. Now that BB has about the same trade in prices, I don't bother with GameStop anymore.
Old 02-02-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Why do you guys buy at Gamestop with Best Buy and Amazon being so convenient and reasonable?
Honestly, the only thing I really find myself buying from Gamestop is their physical exclusives (Song of the Deep, Prototype Hazard Bundle, Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary, etc). Otherwise, it's very rare and just killing 5 minutes while my wife looks at purses in the mall kinda thing.
Old 02-02-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

When GameStop starts with all of that song and dance, I tell them, I don't want to buy a used copy. I want a brand new, never been opened before or I will walk 20 feet down the parking lot and buy it at Wal-Mart.

It also bugs the crap out of me when you ask for a new game, they come out with a empty box and then look for the actual game in a drawer. When I tell them I don't want an open copy, they come back with, why, it's a new game. No, if it's been open, I don't consider it new.
Old 02-02-17, 08:53 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Yeah, I pretty much stopped shopping there because of them selling opened games as new. I used to tell them that it is a gift (even if it wasn't) which seemed to make them understand that a factory sealed game is better than one that is covered in their unremovable stickers. I did stop in their stores for the first time in years recently to pick up their exclusive pokemon character cards used for the Sun/Moon games.
Old 02-02-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I swung by Gamestop when we were at the mall over the weekend and they were trying to get me to order some Pokemon 3DS that is coming out. Kept telling me that I should put $50 down so I don't miss out. When I told him that I have a Vita I barely touch, he said that I would play the 3DS a lot more. Not sure where he was coming up with that theory, but...ok.

I did spot one cool thing while I was there. They had a bunch of steelbooks for indie games. Rogue Legacy, Axiom Verge, Guacamele, Thomas Was Alone, Chariot, etc and were $20 each.
Old 02-02-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
When GameStop starts with all of that song and dance, I tell them, I don't want to buy a used copy. I want a brand new, never been opened before or I will walk 20 feet down the parking lot and buy it at Wal-Mart.

It also bugs the crap out of me when you ask for a new game, they come out with a empty box and then look for the actual game in a drawer. When I tell them I don't want an open copy, they come back with, why, it's a new game. No, if it's been open, I don't consider it new.
Why not just go to Walmart first? Or do you have a lot of trade in credit or something?

Actually if you buy a lot of new games, I don't see how Best Buy's gamerclub (or Amazon Primes similar but inferior deal) can be beat.
Old 02-02-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

GS cashed out some reward points a few weeks ago automatically and emailed me a $5 coupon.

I couldn't find anything worth buying, cheaply. So I took a $10 PSN card to the counter. Nope doesn't work on cards.

Of course not. Goodbye.
Old 02-02-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Why not just go to Walmart first? Or do you have a lot of trade in credit or something?

Actually if you buy a lot of new games, I don't see how Best Buy's gamerclub (or Amazon Primes similar but inferior deal) can be beat.
I have a lot in trade in credit. Plus, It takes an act of Congress to get someone with a key to unlock the video game case at Wal-Mart. Also, I don't have a Best Buy anywhere near me so that's the reason I don't buy from them.
Old 02-02-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lot in trade in credit. Plus, It takes an act of Congress to get someone with a key to unlock the video game case at Wal-Mart. Also, I don't have a Best Buy anywhere near me so that's the reason I don't buy from them.
Can you still buy gift cards with game stop credit? I used to buy amazon gc's.
Old 02-02-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Another year and GS still sucks. Check.
Old 02-02-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Can you still buy gift cards with game stop credit? I used to buy amazon gc's.
No.
Old 02-02-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

No.
You can get Xbox or PSN credit. I do it all the time.

I pretty much never buy new games at Gamestop because of the 20% discount I get from Amazon or Best Buy but I buy and trade used games fairly regularly. You just have to know how to take advantage of sales or promos.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.