GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by Raul3
Oh God...

Anyway, I don't see WP7 competing with the Xbox 360 console. That's why I think they may, somehow, differentiate GS/achievements, between the current and next console.
Really? I personally don't think they will distinguish unless they do something additive. Perhaps add in a trophy system like the PS3. Or make next gen games worth 1200 GS each. I think they would be foolish to mess with a system that feeds into the addictive personality of fans who will buy many games just for their score. This is especially believable if rumors of locking down used games is proven true.

And yes, MSoft takes gamerscore seriously and so do many players. Just look at the forums where people whine about accounts being locked or score reset for cheating. Hell, MSoft takes seriously the tweaking of the number indicating how many years you have been a Gold member seriously.

Epeen and nerd cred is only going to be more important to more people as things become more connected.
Old 04-03-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
Why the defensive bitchiness? I was merely expressing my surprise that people payed attention to gamerscore.

You've proven that there is, in fact, people who have a hobby of GS. I don't see the appeal of spending money on kiddie games that offer easy achievements, but that's just me.

Again, I have no idea why you're getting so fussy.
I'm not defensive, I'm dismissive. You basically belittled everyone who might think differently than you for no reason at all. Just because you don't care doesn't mean no one should. I don't. I used to be far more OCD about completion than you are, I gave it up. I never cared about that number, but I cared about individual game numbers - completion.

Everyone plays games for different reasons, different levels of enjoyment. GS added a new layer to that, be it simple numbers (epeen) or completion or whatever. No one is wrong.

The fact that GS exists and has had time to develop over the last 6+ years and be used by developers to add even more ways to play the same games for people like me and you proves it's not just some random number. You said yourself that you're OCD and like to do everything, but if you go back at look at some of those achievements you worked hard to earn, you'd see that you were playing the same game in fundamentally different ways that just trying to get to the end.

They're a whole meta-game and badges people get to wear. People take pride in it, whether it's for difficultly or simply filler, that's up to them.
Old 04-03-12, 01:44 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm not defensive, I'm dismissive. You basically belittled everyone who might think differently than you for no reason at all. Just because you don't care doesn't mean no one should. I don't. I used to be far more OCD about completion than you are, I gave it up. I never cared about that number, but I cared about individual game numbers - completion.

Everyone plays games for different reasons, different levels of enjoyment. GS added a new layer to that, be it simple numbers (epeen) or completion or whatever. No one is wrong.

The fact that GS exists and has had time to develop over the last 6+ years and be used by developers to add even more ways to play the same games for people like me and you proves it's not just some random number. You said yourself that you're OCD and like to do everything, but if you go back at look at some of those achievements you worked hard to earn, you'd see that you were playing the same game in fundamentally different ways that just trying to get to the end.

They're a whole meta-game and badges people get to wear. People take pride in it, whether it's for difficultly or simply filler, that's up to them.
Belittled? I said people liked to inflate a random number. I don't see how that's any different from me calling myself OCD and needing to do (pointless) achievements.

If I've offended you, then I apologize. But rest assured, I wasn't trying to piss anyone off.
Old 04-03-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What pinata said.

Oh, and some of us enjoy playing "kiddie" games, and not all of them offer easy achievements.
Old 04-03-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ And I give that guy shit CONSTANTLY.
Old 04-03-12, 02:26 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
What pinata said.

Oh, and some of us enjoy playing "kiddie" games, and not all of them offer easy achievements.
You want a cookie bro? I thought it was fairly obvious from my post, but I guess I'll have to explain to you that I was talking specifically about people who played kiddie games for easy gamerscore. If you want to play My Little Pony on friday nights for fun, that's your business.
Old 04-03-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, I would in fact enjoy a cookie. I haven't played My Little Pony yet, but I'll look into it, thanks!
Old 04-03-12, 03:04 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Yes, I would in fact enjoy a cookie. I haven't played My Little Pony yet, but I'll look into it, thanks!
as long as Hannah Montana does not end up on your play list
Old 04-03-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

My wife played "Get Fit with Mel B" once on my account (even though I specifically set up a seperate account for her, and made it prompt you for the user before my PS3 starts, so she wouldn't get that shit on my profile), and I hate that it's there. Even worse is the fact that it's there almost compels my OCD to complete it, but I think having it on my profile at 100% is actually much worse looking than having it on there at 2%
Old 04-03-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
My wife played "Get Fit with Mel B" once on my account (even though I specifically set up a seperate account for her, and made it prompt you for the user before my PS3 starts, so she wouldn't get that shit on my profile), and I hate that it's there. Even worse is the fact that it's there almost compels my OCD to complete it, but I think having it on my profile at 100% is actually much worse looking than having it on there at 2%
Yeah, yeah and my wife played Dance Central on my account against my wishes too
Old 04-03-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
as long as Hannah Montana does not end up on your play list
I was the first in the world to 1000/1000 Hannah Montana!!! I got that shit before the street date and crushed it...it was AWESOME!!!!

Seriously, I was....that's sad.
Old 04-03-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AC Revelations is on sale this week for $19.99. After calling a couple stores in the area, I found one that actually had one copy left of the signature series edition. They were even nice enough to hold it until I got off work. Still sealed and everything. I haven't been to a store of theirs in over a year, so thumbs up this time.

PS - L.A. Noire Complete Edition is also on sale for $19.99 this week along with MVC3 for $9.99.
Old 04-04-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by discostu1337
I was the first in the world to 1000/1000 Hannah Montana!!! I got that shit before the street date and crushed it...it was AWESOME!!!!

And Stu brings it back on topic
Old 04-04-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by discostu1337

12 achievements for 1000? Wow!

Which one was harder? This one?
Superstar
Earn a 5 Star rating on all songs.
Old 04-04-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

B2G1 starts today for PUR members, tomorrow for everyone else and ends Saturday.
Old 04-04-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Even though I'm not a fan GS does do some good. They're mainly the reason why Xenoblade ChrOnies is finally coming to the U.S.
Old 04-04-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Anyone see those 3DS stick attachments at their local GS lately? I put in a "preorder" for one for their next shipment like a month ago and have heard nothing so far... are they that hard to get, or am I just that hard to get ahold of?
Old 04-08-12, 01:59 AM

Last time i did a search for them at my location the closest one was over 500 miles away. Some stores got em but most did not.
Old 04-10-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

GameStop Will Warn Consumers About Online Fees.

Used games lawsuit forces retailer to post signs in California outlets.

Games buyers visiting GameStop stores in California will soon see signs warning them of the likelihood of additional publisher fees for downloadable content for used games.

Today, a class settlement was reached forcing the retailer to post signs in its California stores for the next two years. GameStop is also required to reimburse certain consumers who paid for used games without realizing there would be extra fees for online play.

The lawsuit was instigated in March 2010, soon after a gamer, James Collins, bought a used copy of Dragon Age: Origins from a GameStop store in Hayward, California. Collins paid $55 for the game, $5 less than a brand new copy, only to realize he had to pay more to access online features which would have come as standard with a new game.

Mark Pifko, Baron and Budd attorney and counsel in the lawsuit said, "We are pleased that as a result of this lawsuit, we were able to obtain complete restitution for consumers, with actual money paid out to people who were harmed by GameStop's conduct."

He added, "The in-store and online warnings are an important benefit under the settlement as well, because if GameStop discloses the truth to consumers, it is unlikely that they will be able to continue selling used copies of certain games for only $5 less than the price of a new copy. In fact, we already know that not long after the lawsuit was filed, GameStop lowered prices for used copies of many of the game titles identified in the lawsuit."

IGN has contacted GameStop for comment, specifically on whether or not the company plans to post signs in its retail outlets outside California.

http://games.ign.com/articles/122/12..._medium=social
Old 04-10-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's bullshit. GameStop shouldn't have to protect people dumb enough to shop at GameStop from themselves. Anyone that buys a used game at an 8% discount shouldn't be breathing anyway.

That shit is between the consumer and the publisher. If the cover art says it comes with something but GameStop is selling without then, okay, there should be a sticker or a warning on that item.
Old 04-10-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
If the cover art says it comes with something but GameStop is selling without then, okay, there should be a sticker or a warning on that item.
I'm sure GS is taking trades not giving a shit either way if an online pass has been used or not, and still charging $55. If I sell the same game on eBay, I have to say if the pass has been redeemed or not.
Old 04-10-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Caveat emptor. Do your own homework and stop feeling entitled to every damned thing.
Old 04-10-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I hate GameStop as much as the next guy but buying used has always been a buyer beware situation. This is no different.
Old 04-11-12, 08:18 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh, please. Have we crawled so far about the corporate world's ass that we not only think "let the buyer beware," but also "let the corporation decide if the buyer's going to get the information he needs to decide whether to beware?" If you don't want GameStop to have to tell people what they're buying, why stop at online passes? GameStop can sell plain black boxes and buyers can guess what game they're getting.
Old 04-11-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's totally the same. I guess if there's a day 1 patch for your game, that's GameStop's fault too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.