GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: GameStop is Vile and Disgusting Part XXVII

Originally Posted by Wolf359
^^

They have way too many stores anyway. I've seen a store inside the mall, and a store right across the street. Sometimes two stores within a mile of each other.
That's nothing. There are two ends of town here that have two stores in the same parking lot. Of course they were EB sites but they should have closed them.
Old 01-25-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

^^

They have way too many stores anyway. I've seen a store inside the mall, and a store right across the street. Sometimes two stores within a mile of each other.
Last year we had 3 stores within a mile of each other, and 2 in the same mall.

Also any link with the stores closing? I cant find it yet.

Last edited by stingermck; 01-25-10 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
New Super Mario Bros. ring a bell? It was gone from Nov until about a week ago everywhere.
Yeah - not only did I easily find NSMB when it came out for myself, but I bought a few copies during December as gifts - it was easily found everywhere.
Old 01-25-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah - not only did I easily find NSMB when it came out for myself, but I bought a few copies during December as gifts - it was easily found everywhere.
Interestingly enough, over the weekend I sold my friends copy on eBay for $45, quickly after listing it. I was wondering then if it was suddenly rare.
Old 01-25-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

^^

Less than a mile from my house, there's an intersection that has a Gamestop on 3 of the four corners (counting one that is inside a mall).
Old 01-25-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

That's my experience too. Outside of the consoles themselves and select products like Wii Fit, I don't remember having trouble finding any Nintendo game near launch... and NSMB was everywhere here in the Los Angeles area too. I don't even know what benefit Nintendo would have from making an artificial shortage of software during Xmas... to drive up demand?
Old 01-25-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=14112
Old 01-25-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Ridiculous. Mario was everywhere. It may have gone out of stock for a day, but I had no problem finding it wherever I looked.
Old 01-25-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

We have two in the same mall as well. Another two are within a half mile of the mall stores. The one after that is 8 miles away in another city.

There's also two more another five miles away that I never go to.

So it breaks down to six in Palmdale, and one in Lancaster.
Old 01-25-10, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Plaza Las Americas in Puerto Rico, there are 3 stores, one still called EBX, another still called Babbage and the third one called Gamestop. The 3 of them suck. They have horrible customer service, the clerks are asses and they are known to make it hard on people who want their 10% discount from the membership card applied to the Buy 2 get the third free deals.
Old 01-25-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
In Plaza Las Americas in Puerto Rico, there are 3 stores, one still called EBX, another still called Babbage and the third one called Gamestop. The 3 of them suck. They have horrible customer service, the clerks are asses and they are known to make it hard on people who want their 10% discount from the membership card applied to the Buy 2 get the third free deals.
Which is why I avoid all three. The GS in Vega Alta is where I go.
Old 01-25-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I read last night that Gamestop posted poor holiday sales and they are to close over 400 stores this year. Wow.
We have one in town closing the 1st. I went in to trade some games and they have a coupon to get 20% off of anything at the store across the street from the 1st through the 15th.
Old 01-25-10, 02:16 PM

^^

Thats nothing.
I have a mall with 2 gamestops in it, then there is another one right across the street from the mall, and another just down the street (five minutes if you walk) from that one.
Old 01-25-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Gamestop: the Starbucks of the videogame industry.
Old 01-25-10, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Which is why I avoid all three. The GS in Vega Alta is where I go.
The one I go when I visit is the located at Plaza Escorial. I got to know the employees there and they let me get the best deals and pick from the movie boxes (before they were dropped from the store)
Old 01-25-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
The one I go when I visit is the located at Plaza Escorial. I got to know the employees there and they let me get the best deals and pick from the movie boxes (before they were dropped from the store)
I don't think I've been to that one. I'll be sure to check it out.
Old 01-25-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Gamestop: the Starbucks of the videogame industry.
well, at least starbucks makes something ...
Old 01-25-10, 07:27 PM

yeah and the mall isn't very big either!
Old 01-25-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm honestly surprised that everybody was able to find NSMB late November into December. Everywhere I went Christmas shopping, it was sold out. Best Buy, Target, both Gamestops, Wal-Mart.

Granted, I wasn't looking to buy the game, so I didn't search high and low, or check online, but from my shopping experiences, every time I browsed the VG section, it was no where to be found. And according to my friends who work at GS, people bitched all the time that they couldn't find it either.
Old 01-25-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by macontosh2000
Thats nothing.
I have a mall with 2 gamestops in it, then there is another one right across the street from the mall, and another just down the street (five minutes if you walk) from that one.
This is the exact same situation for me...unless it's the same place.

2 gamestops in one mall, right down the street there is another one next to a Target, then about a 5 minute walk or 1 minute drive up another street there is another gamestop.

Not only that, but if you drive 4 miles south of the first mall there is another mall with a gamestop and about 1 mile away from there is a 6th gamestop. All 6 within a 3 mile radius of my house.
Old 01-27-10, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Wanted to point out that GameStop just raised their price for the first games of both Mass Effect and Assassins Creed by $5 to $24.99. Both games are still $19.99 everywhere else, but GS figured they can wring a little extra cash from people who are hoping to get caught up on the first installments of these games before tackling the sequels.

Not to mention, they're charging $23 for a used copy of ME1... assholes. Is there any other major retailer that pulls this sort of shit?
Old 01-27-10, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wanted to point out that GameStop just raised their price for the first games of both Mass Effect and Assassins Creed by $5 to $24.99. Both games are still $19.99 everywhere else, but GS figured they can wring a little extra cash from people who are hoping to get caught up on the first installments of these games before tackling the sequels.

Not to mention, they're charging $23 for a used copy of ME1... assholes. Is there any other major retailer that pulls this sort of shit?
Sounds like their first party Nintendo DS tax. For years any $29.99 first party DS game was sold $5 over MSRP at Gamestop.
Old 01-27-10, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah I just bought Assasins Creed 1 for $20 at Target
Old 01-27-10, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate their used games. Is it really necessary to plaster the case with 3-4 stickers? They are nearly impossible to get off sometimes.
Old 01-27-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I hate their used games. Is it really necessary to plaster the case with 3-4 stickers? They are nearly impossible to get off sometimes.
thats so they can offer you even less for them when you try to sell them back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.