Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Nintendo DS Thread VIII: 65 Million Strong.. and Growing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 09:09 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts
Has anyone ever had their DS get to the point where some games won't play at all?

Is it because they get dirty?

We have four DSs in the house and a few of them won't play games or if they do the system freezes or loses their saved data.

Is there a way to safely clean a DS or the games?
Old 08-23-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Nope, do you leave your games out or something. My games are always in a case or in the console so there is zero chance of dust getting to them.
Old 08-23-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Has anyone ever had their DS get to the point where some games won't play at all?

Is it because they get dirty?

We have four DSs in the house and a few of them won't play games or if they do the system freezes or loses their saved data.

Is there a way to safely clean a DS or the games?
If one particular game has a hard time loading on any of the DS systems then you could probably do the old NES trick of swabbing the connectors on the game with alcohol and then letting it dry before trying it again. If they are really dirty it will clean them.
Old 08-23-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone ever used the free WiFi with their DS @ McDonalds? I saw a sign saying that they had free Wifi, and so I took my sons and their DSs. When I tried to connect I saw a WayPort unlocked access point - when I tried to connect it tried and tried, only to say it was unable to connect.

When I asked the worker there if she had the instructions on how to connect, she tilted her head to the side and said "I don't know what that is - do you want me to ask?" I said yes and stood there for about 30 seconds as she continued to just stand there with a blank stare.

So, I guess I'm still trying to find alternative connection methods.
Old 08-23-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many public libraries offer free wi-fi. You may want to check in to that.
Old 08-23-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My launch lite is getting picky with carts. Sometimes I have to pop them out and in a few times before they work. I'm guessing I can clean the contacts with a slightly damp cotton swab and let it dry. Usually works.

My son's Red/Black DS had the hinge crack, but it was a much bigger crack than my DS or my wife's. Mine doesn't really do anything but look ugly, but his hinge plastic separated a bit more and it makes the top a bit loose. I called Nintendo, but was told they no longer honor broken hinges under the warranty. It would be $75 to fix the hinge and honestly what is the point since it will just break again. A bit disapointing from a company known for customer service and especially since cracked hinges are hardly unheard of on the DS Lite.
Old 08-23-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes I used WIFI at Macdonalds when they first rolled it out. It was fairly easy to setup. I think you just pick the nintedo or whatever access point and it auto configures.
Old 08-24-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I believe the McDonald's / DS deal is over.
Old 08-24-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Bangai-O Sprits is the best game on the DS - there's no other game I itch to play more than this, not on the DS and not on any other console - I'm typing this really fast so I can go back to playing some more right now...
Old 08-28-08, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Chrono Trigger worth buying for the DS? I already have the PS1 version of the game and from what I read they're not even changing much on the game.
Old 08-28-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Next week's BB ad. Hotel Dusk for $19.99, FINALLY !!
Old 08-28-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I should clarify: that is the 9/7 ad.
Old 08-30-08, 08:54 PM

... also looks like Clubhouse Games is being reprinted too.
Old 08-30-08, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lurker Gal
Is Chrono Trigger worth buying for the DS? I already have the PS1 version of the game and from what I read they're not even changing much on the game.
http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/40856

Originally Posted by GamersWithJobs.com
The touchscreen is used to display a minimap of the current area and a number of buttons that directly grant access to menues such as the party or inventory screens. It's possible to steer your party via stylus, but you can control Crono the old-fashioned way with the D-pad, too.

Unfortunately, portable greatness has a price. In this case it's the addition of slight load times (about a second or two) when moving between areas or accessing menu functions. Granted, these are nothing compared to the PSX remake, but they're still a minor cause for impatience. I only got to play the the first 15 minutes of the games or so, thus not experiencing any of the standard battles. I can only assume that the loading times are the same here.
Old 09-13-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
have their been any upgrades to the DS?
my son has an onyx one, and my wife has the crimson and black.
last night, my son completely broke one of the hinges on his.. i used some super epoxy to get it back together.. and that may hold for awhile.. but i guess i got some into the right trigger too.. because it doesnt move anymore (at least it isnt stuck in though)..

so.. its working for him.. but i have a feeling a new one may be on his christmas or birthday list this year..
have there really been any advancements.. or are they just cool new colors with minor tweaks?
Old 09-13-08, 04:53 PM

I picked up Professor Layton today (new for $25 at Blockbuster).

Pretty fun game so far.

This is the first time I've picked up my DS since April.
Old 09-13-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up Professor Layton today (new for $25 at Blockbuster).

Pretty fun game so far.

This is the first time I've picked up my DS since April.
All of the online extra puzzles are available now. Once you get that unlocked in the game definitely download those as well.
Old 09-13-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by twikoff
have their been any upgrades to the DS?
my son has an onyx one, and my wife has the crimson and black.
last night, my son completely broke one of the hinges on his.. i used some super epoxy to get it back together.. and that may hold for awhile.. but i guess i got some into the right trigger too.. because it doesnt move anymore (at least it isnt stuck in though)..

so.. its working for him.. but i have a feeling a new one may be on his christmas or birthday list this year..
have there really been any advancements.. or are they just cool new colors with minor tweaks?
No, since the new colors, there haven't been any updates/upgrades to the DS, and none in the foreseeable future either.

Although the hinge-breaking thing was fairly commonplace about a year or so ago, and I think they have improved on that part of the design since then to keep them from breaking like they used to.
Old 09-13-08, 08:04 PM

I noticed at Target today (Bitters) that the Hotel Dusk reprint has new lettering at the top informing purchasers that the game is like a mystery novel. Maybe that will sell more copies, whatever works.

Layton was great as well. Hopefully we'll see a new one stateside.
Old 09-14-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad they are finally reprinting, but shocked that Tetris DS and Wario Ware Touched are not part of the reprints.
Old 09-14-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't know you can d/l new levels for Layton. How do I do that? Via the Wii? I just finished it the other day. 113/115 for me. I can't seem to find the last 5 puzzles.
Old 09-14-08, 10:00 AM

Here's a sneak peak at Professor Layton 2:

http://professorlaytonwalkthrough.bl.../03/sneak.html

There are actually three games: The Curious Village, Pandora's Box, and the Last Time Travel.

I'm 15/15 puzzles into it and really enjoying it. I hope the sequel comes stateside too.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 09-14-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-14-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I didn't know you can d/l new levels for Layton. How do I do that? Via the Wii? I just finished it the other day. 113/115 for me. I can't seem to find the last 5 puzzles.
No Wii needed - just wifi acces for your DS. Iirc there is an option in the menu to get new puzzles.
Old 09-15-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks. I had never ventured into the bonus menu. I did all 9 puzzles I had unlocked there. Two houses are still locked though. I think I'm only missing 3 puzzles in the main game so I assume the houses will unlock when I find/finish those.

I did see a screen for a code to unlock more puzzles once Layton 2 is out. Interesting.
Old 09-16-08, 05:52 PM

So my wife started playing Layton on Sunday night... and she finished it last night. She only completed 87 of 96 puzzles, but was still able to finish the game.

I'm 55 for 55 and still trudging along.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.