Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Top 20/Bottom 20

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Top 20/Bottom 20

I thought (hoped) this would be somewhat interesting.
How many of the top 20/bottom 20 (rated) games for your main console do you have? Do you play the ones on the bottom 20? Can you say something about each of them; constructive criticism for the ones in the top 20, positive for the ones in the bottom 20?
I'm basing my list on Gamerankings, though I know a lot of people use Metacritic. They should be mostly the same, I would think.

360/Top 20:
6/20
1. Orange Box - almost too much great stuff in one box. I wish TF2 had an offline/bot mode so I could practice, or same-machine multiplayer.
2. Bioshock - um...not long enough. Final boss was somewhat too "mainstream".
4. Oblivion - too long . One of the few RPGs where most of the people are ugly or at least not very attractive.
6. Halo 3 - overhyped, and it seemed short (when playing local co-op.)
7. Rock Band - expensive (I know, I don't have to buy all or most of the DLC...but most of it is so good.)
19. Burnout Revenge - I can't really think of anything. Difficulty ramps up nicely, nice variety of tracks and missions. Sometimes it's hard to tell where the track is.
20. Puzzle Quest - *$**# Bane. I know there's a trick I'm missing.

360/Bottom 20:
11. Fuzion Frenzy 2 - it was cheap. Got that ESA bundle for 20 bucks. I did play this for about half an hour--it's really not very good. Lots of little annoyances.
Old 04-19-08, 06:40 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I'm going to do this family wide (using Gamerankings by average score from Main Sites)...

Wii - Top 20 (5 of 20)

1. Super Mario Galaxy - I only have 48 stars... and I'm having a blast. I got about 2/3rds of the way through Sunshine, but this is holding my interest more.
2. Super Smash Bros Brawl - 1-36-0 baby! I suck so bad!
3. TLoZ: Twilight Princess - 5 hours into it and now I'm back to the village as the wolf... and that hawk is giving me fits! Fun so far. The controls aren't nearly as intuitive as I would like them to be.
7. Zack & Wiki - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO EVERYONE! I have two puzzle boards left and I'm sad.
8. Super Paper Mario - Last summer was the last time I played and I have all of the hearts and am in the black and white level. I really like it, but school got in the way.

Wii - Bottom 20 (2 of 20)

8. Pokémon Battle Revolution - Only use it to battle the versions of Diamond and Pearl we have. I wish it wasn't $50... but I bought it anyway. Had to.
19. Carnival Games - Pure $#*@!... but the kids love to play it.

DS - Top 20 (9 of 20)
1. Mario Kart DS - w00t! Gotta love it... until Wii Kart comes out next week.
4. TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass - Finished it. Loved it. Recommend it. Best Zelda handheld game (and I loved Minish Cap).
6. Meteos - We have the Disney® version, but Meteos is Meteos.
9. Planet Puzzle League - I suck at it, but it's a good time waster.
10. Tetris DS - I'm surprised this isn't higher. We play the wi-fi version all the time.
11. Animal Crossing: Wild World - Wife was addicted to this when we first got it. Great handheld version of the GC game. I liked making patterns and stuff. The stylus made it easier and quicker.
16. Pokémon Pearl - Kids love it.
17. Pokémon Diamond - Kids love it.
19. Nintendogs - Kids love it.

DS - Bottom 20 (0 of 20)
Good for me!
Old 04-19-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
360 - TOP 20

2. Bioshock - Great game. Love the story and setting.
3. Call of Duty 4 - The best game for the 360.
4. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Great game, maybe too long I haven't completed it.
5. Gears of War - Actually went back and started playing this since getting 2 Christmas' ago.
6. Halo 3 - Multiplayer is great, storyline not so much.
9. Mass Effect - One of my favorite games. I'm probably pumped more hours into it than any other game.
12. Call of Duty 2 - A precursor to the greatest game ever.
16. Rainbow Six Vegas - The first truly great game I played for the 360. Absolutely love it.
18. PGR 3 - Pretty good game, not my kind of racing.

360 - BOTTOM 20

15. Superman Returns - I like it. Screw you.

PS3 - TOP 20
*Note - Anything available for both 360 and PS3 I get for 360.

4. Uncharted - Really like this game but stopped playing when the game jumped the shark near the end. I'll probably pick it up again.
8. Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Great game. Tough, tough. I'm stuck on it may or may not revisit it.

PS3 - BOTTOM 20

None.
Old 04-19-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS3
#7 Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Can be extremely frustrating, so much so that at times I want to quit instead of fight through it.

#1 BioShock - Not long enough I guess?
#2 The Orange Box - An offline TF2 would be a great idea. When I played TF2 I felt so far behind everyone else I didn't feel like I'd ever catch-up and haven't really been back.
#3 Gears of War - Campaign way too short.
#4 Oblivion - Repetitive voice acting. Some character interaction felt stiff and "unnatural".
#6 Halo 3 - Feels like much of the same from Halo 2, gameplay wise. Still too many screaming kids and morons playing Halo 3 on Live...
#7 Rock Band - Wish there was an easier way to change what instrument I was playing, instead of logging off and then back on. Also wish a character I've created could changed instruments as well.
#8 Guitar Hero 2 - I'd have liked more song variety. More character customization too.
#9 Mass Effect - Didn't live up to it's potential. Side quest planets were extremely bland and repetitive. There were some interface problems too.

Wii
#1 Super Mario Galaxy - Nothing, it was absolutely perfect imo.
#2 Twilight Princess - Though it was in line with the other Zelda's, it felt way too short to me.
#3 Smash Bros. Brawl - Online is way more complicated than it should be, really hampers what should be a major draw to this game.

DS
#2 Phantom Hourglass - Way too short. Really hated having go through that same damn dungeon 8 times or whatever it was.
#6 New Super Mario Bros. - Way too easy. Never once felt "challenged" playing through. It's a fun game, but I would've preferred a few tough levels..

I don't own anything on the Metacritic's video game bottom 20, so I guess I'm doing pretty good.

Last edited by ultimaton; 04-19-08 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-19-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
OK this could be fun. Current gen only and that will be too long anyway. Don't think I can criticize all the top game, but will try to comment on them from my experience.

Wii Top 20
1) Super Mario Galaxy - Loved this game and agree it was one of the games of the year
2) Super Smash Bros Brawl - Not liking this one too much but my son is great at it. Too much chaos on screen for me.
4) Resident Evil 4 - Haven't played it much but like the Wii controls.
8) Super Paper Mario - Enjoyed this game, but not as much as the RPG ones
16) Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn - One of my favorite Wii games. Highly underrated IMO.
18) Mercury Meltdown Revolution - Fantastic budget puzzler but the mixing colors gets repetitive fast.

Bottom 20
8) Pokemon Battle Revolution - It does suck, but I did get a couple of rare Pokemon out of it
19) Carnival Games - This game being rated this low is bullshit. This game is a blast even though the controls are janky on a few of the many games. It is overpriced though.

PS3 Top 20
3) Rock Band - love the game hate the junk they call instruments
6) Burnout Paradise - My game of 2008 so far Not perfect but fun and addicting
19) Guitar Hero III - Pales in comparison to Rock Band but still fun

Bottom 20
None

DS Top 20
2) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - Love this game, love the soundtrack. My fav of the DS and GBA games.
3) Advance Wars Dual Strike - Haven't played this one nearly enough
4) Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass - still haven't finished it because I didn't dig the touch screen control.
5) New Super Mario Bros - This would be my choice for best DS game. Finished it 100%
6) Meteos - my favorite Q developed title.
7) Elite Beat Agents - Had fun, but was done with the formula by the time I finished
8) Kirby Canvas Curse - Loved this game but the boss kicked my ass the first couple of tries
9) Planet Puzzle League - loved it since Pokemon Puzzle League on gameboy
10) Tetris DS - Out of print I hear. Great game.
12) Super Mario 64 DS - How is this mediocre port rated so high?
13) Professor Layton and the Curious Village - Level 5 rocks. Hurry up sequel
15) Mario and Luigi Partners in Time - never finished this. just remembered that
17) Pokemon Diamond - it is Pokemon so I like it
18) Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin

Bottom 20
12) Deep Labyrinth - Gave it several tries, but just don't like it. On my Half.com sale page.

PSP
6) Final Fantasy: War of the Lions - Loved it on PSone did not love it when I replayed it on PSP. Too much time has passed and better tactical RPG ideas have surpassed it.
12) Jeanne Darc - This game from Level 5 was fantastic and fixed most of my complaints I had about earlier tactics games like the above FF Tactics. You did need to level grind though and that was a pain early on.
14) Daxter - got it free have never put it in my PSP but I hear it is great. Some day.
17) Loco Roco - Liked the idea of this one, but overall the gameplay wasn't as great as I hoped. Very good game, but not success Sony hoped for.

Bottom 20
None

PC Top 20
1) Orange Box - Negative? I already had Half Life 2 and had to give it away. That is it the rest of this collection was flawless.
2) Half Life 2 - Made me love a genre I hate. FPS
3) Bioshock - breathtaking game and an experience I will never forget
5) Half Life - The negative I can remember on this one is that long opening sequence. Cinematic yes, but man it went on and on.
12) Grim Fandango - Maybe my all time favorite PC game and definitely the best of the adventure games on PC
14) Elder Scroll IV - Too damn open ended. I have never really gotten far because I just feel lost playing this game.

Bottom 20
None
Old 04-20-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll just do 360 for now:

1 BioShock 2007 96 - Just awesome.
2 Orange Box, The 2007 96 - 5 Amazing games, best $60 I've spent on the 360.
3 Gears of War 2006 94 - I should play through this, it;s been on my shelf.
4 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The 2006 94 - Great game, but I get bored with it easily. Absolutely amazing atmosphere/graphics/open-worldness though.
5 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2007 94 - Damn near perfect.
6 Halo 3 2007 94 - Good, but only kept my attention for about a month.
7 Rock Band 2007 93 - Absolutely. DLC = huge win.
8 Guitar Hero II 2007 92 - Love it
9 Mass Effect 2007 91 - Superb.
10 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2006 90 - I can't get into this especially with all the other superior FPS out right now. I beat the first level.
11 Forza Motorsport 2 2007 90 - It's a good game, but it's just not my thing.
16 Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2006 89 - Played the crap out of this, especially over the summer. So much fun
20 Project Gotham Racing 3 2005 88 - Pretty good, but it just hasn't held my attention. I played it for about 5 or 6 days and haven't gone back yet.

373 Yaris 2007 17 - Absolutely the worst game I have ever played.
Old 04-20-08, 12:39 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
For the 360, I have:

1. The Orange Box X360 EA Games 53 9.1 96.260%
2. BioShock X360 2K Games 90 9.3 95.344%
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare X360 Activision 74 9.1 94.094%
4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion X360 2K Games 103 9.2 93.837%
5. Gears of War X360 Microsoft Game Studios 110 8.7 93.755%
6. Halo 3 X360 Microsoft Game Studios 87 8.5 93.429%
9. Mass Effect X360 Microsoft Game Studios 77 9.2 90.847%
12. Call of Duty 2 X360 Activision 88 8.8 89.918%
13. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night X360 Konami 23 8.3 89.783%
[20. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords X360 D3 26 9.0 88.038% ]

(I have Puzzle Quest for the DS, not the 360).

I've managed to avoid all of the bottom 20.
Old 04-20-08, 09:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Xbox 360 - using gamerankings.com

Best 20

3 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Have played a bit of multi-player, but I prefer single player and haven't started that yet.

4 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Consumed a few weeks of my life. Completed perhaps half the game, obsessively finding every last trinket of each minor quest I took. Gave it up, but may go back and finish someday.

5 - Gears of War - My personal favorite game so far.

6 - Halo 3 - Haven't opened it yet.

8 - Guitar Hero II - Have barely started it, but love it, and plan to finish the career on at least medium.

12 - Call of Duty 2 - The first game that I "finished" on the 360. Single player campaign was a lot of fun, well worth the $20 I paid.

Worst 20

1 - Yaris - I doubt this will ever be "topped". The Burger King games are classics compared to this muck. At least it was free.

24 - Scramble - Was a favorite as a kid. I've only played a few minutes here and there, but I still like it, and plan to try to beat it one day. Never knew it was rated so poorly.
Old 04-20-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm including both DS and PS3.

DS

Top Twenty
2.Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - That's it right now. Before I had to sell my original DS and games, I owned 7 or 8 of them. I would like to own 14 or 15 of them.

Bottom Twenty
None. Owned one before, Retro Atari Classics.

PS3

Top Twenty
7.Orange Box
9.Resistance: Fall of Man
10.Virtua Fighter 5
12.MLB 08: The Show

Bottom Twenty
10.Genji: Days of the Blade
Old 04-20-08, 11:39 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Xbox 360

1: Bioshock. A game that lives up to the hype. The last boss could have been harder, or even fit in with the style of the game more. It just felt out of place. The ending, good and bad, felt tacked on.

2: Orange Box. Maybe the only game that ever actually gave you 60 bucks of value. Portal was way to short, and Team Fortress does not do a good job teaching you what the hell you are suppose to do. And please no more teeter totter problems in Half Life PLEASE!

3: Gears of War. The first half of the game does not live up to the hype, but man or man is it fun co op. WAY to short.

5: Call of Duty 4. Amazing game, but single player to short. Would benefit from a co op game.

6: Halo 3. LOVED it. Went in expecting the worst, but actually loved it from start to finish. A bit short, and the Flood chapter towards the end sucked. Multiplayer suffers from to many assholes.

8: Guitar Hero 2. I Just don’t get it. The wife loves it though.

9: Mass Effect. Amazing game, but glitchy at times. Could use a major update to fix some of the hiccups. The fucking slowest elevators in the history of mankind, and the side quests were WAY to cookie cutter.

10: GRAW. I don’t like the GRAW games, control just never seems right to me.

11: Forza 2. I am not a race fan, but for what it is fun.

13: Call of Duty 2. A blast to play. It feels like it drags at the end.

15: Castlevania. Over hyped beyond belief.

16: Rainbow Six Vegas. I love this game actually more then Call of Duty 4. Co Op game takes out the storyline from the main mission which hurts this a bit, and the story itself in the single player mission is a bit of a yawn fest.

Bottom 20.

19: Totemball…something nice? Its free!!!!

1: Yaris. Its free!!!!
Old 04-20-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Xbox 360 Top 20
1. BioShock - One of my favorite single-player experiences on the 360. Great, fun gameplay and fantastic integration of the story throughout.

2. The Orange Box - Portal is incredible. Team Fortress 2 actually gets me to occasionally play some online multiplayer, a format that I usually don't enjoy at all. Half Life 2 was great, though I wasn't too enamored with Episode 1 and still need to finish Episode 2. I haven't picked up a game with a better cost-to-value ratio though.

3. Gears of War - The first Xbox 360 game I bought, it instantly made me a huge fan of the system. Nailed the online co-op better than any other game I've played.

5. Call of Duty 4 - Fantastic single-player campaign. The multiplayer is ok, though like I said above, I'm not a big fan of that style of gameplay.

6. Halo 3 - Fun and deserving of praise, but probably a little over-rated.

8. Guitar Hero 2 - I owned this for a couple months and enjoyed it, but don't get the massive amounts of hype behind this type of game.

9. Mass Effect - Started it, played a couple hours and moved on to something else. I need to pop it back in, but I don't have massive amounts of time to dedicate to gaming these days. I'm guessing I'd enjoy it quite a bit if I had the time to get into it.

10. G.R.A.W. - Got it cheap, played it once and wasn't really impressed. Not my cup of tea.

16. Rainbow Six Vegas - Fun enough, but I wish the online co-op provided the full experience of the single-player campaign.

Xbox 360 Bottom 20
373. Yaris - Downloaded because it was free, played once and deleted. What a turd.

372. Jumper: Griffin's Story - Rented it for achievement points. Ok, it sucked, but it wasn't the worst retail game to be released on the 360. I'm guessing critics were extra harsh since it was based on a movie property and it's '31' average ranking would've ended up in the mid- to high- 40's if it was an original story. Of the games I've played, Fuzion Frenzy 2, Lost: Via Domus and Fantastic Four were all a lot shittier than the Jumper game.

Wii Top 20
1. Super Mario Galaxy - It's a lot of fun, but I don't get the level of praise it got. If I take originality into account, I'd rank it below SMB, SMB 3, SMW, SM64 and SMS.

2. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Fantastic. The most I've enjoyed a game on the system. It took all the Zelda staples and yet managed to not feel like a rehash.

3. Super Smash Brothers Brawl - It's enjoyable, but another game I'd consider a little over-rated.

4. Resident Evil 4 - The Wii controls definitely improved the game, which was already great. That said, it's still a Gamecube game and it feels kind of strange to see it on the list.

5. Metroid Prime 3 - I made it a couple hours into this and then picked up Bioshock, which immediately ate up all my gaming time. I need to go back and play through it, but just haven't had time. It seemed fun, but not too much of an improvement over the first two Prime games.

7. Zack & Wiki - A really fun game that's great for playing in short bursts. Props to it for embracing the 'gimmickieness' of the Wii controller and making it totally fun, even if it's goofy as hell.

9. Super Paper Mario - Fun, but not as great as I'd expected from the reviews and buzz.

12. No More Heroes - I've only played through the first 3 assassins, but really, really enjoy the game. It's sense of humor is great, pushing the absurdity just short of the point where it'd start to get annoying.

13. WarioWare: Smooth Moves - Fun for about 20 minutes and then not so much. I feel bad for people who paid full price for this.

20. Trauma Center - It was ok, but felt more like a fancy demo of the Wii Remote than a game.

Wii Bottom 20
Haven't played any of these.

PSP Top 20
1. God of War: Chains of Olympus - Technically, probably the best game I've seen on the PSP. I'd say it's just as good as it's PS2 predecessors.

6. GTA: Liberty City Stories - I've never been a huge fan of GTA, but for some reason it works better on a handheld for me. I've enjoyed this enough that I pre-ordered GTA IV, hoping it's made enough of a convert out of me to enjoy a console title.

11. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - I pretty much bought a PSP so I could enjoy some of the Sony-exclusive franchises without having to buy a PS3. This game doesn't disappoint and I enjoy it just about as much as the first three MGS's.

19. Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters - This is my favorite Sony franchise. Size Matters falls short of the PS2 titles, but is still quite a bit of fun.

PSP Bottom 20
Haven't played any of these.

DS Top 20
2. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - I would love this game if not for the goddamn timed temple that it seems like you have to go through at least once an hour when you're playing. I gave up on the game my 4th or 5th time it sent me there to find a chart. I'll pick it up and finish it someday, but was pretty disappointed. Big props for the controls, though, as the game integrated the touch screen better than anything else I've played.

6. New Super Mario Bros - Fantastic. Every DS owner should own this one.

18. Metroid Prime: Hunters - I actually enjoyed this more than the first two Primes on the Gamecube. Controls took a little while to get used to, but are great once you get the hang of them.

DS Bottom 20
Haven't played any of these. The Brain Boost games should be here though. Other games might be as bad as those, but I have a hard time believing any are worse.
Old 04-20-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's see:
PS3
#5 Ratchet

Xbox 360
1 BioShock 2007 96
2 Orange Box, The 2007 96
3 Gears of War 2006 94
5 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2007 94
6 Halo 3 2007 94
7 Rock Band 2007 93
8 Guitar Hero II 2007 92
11 Forza Motorsport 2 2007 90
13 Call of Duty 2 2005 89
18 Virtua Fighter 5 2007 89
Yeah, it was easier for me to just copy and paste and remove the ones missing.

No bottom 20 from either.
Old 04-21-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As you can tell, I buy a lot on clearance and never get around to them.
My personal top/bottom 20s vary wildly from these listings.

Best (by way of Gamerankings):

1. The Orange Box - Hated it aside from portal, which I thought was decent, if
overrated, but way too easy and short. Half Life 2 was dull as $#!* and had very
poor controls. Team Fortress 2 lost its appeal really quick with me.
2. BioShock - Haven't opened it yet.
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Great single player experience on Veteran.
4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Haven't played much of it but not excited in the
fact that the enemies level raise with you.
5. Gears of War - Great co-op experience, online is absolute ass. Nothing but waiting
and listening to other players bitch about who stole whose kill.
6. Halo 3 - Fun co-op, not really into the online community for this one.
10. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - Awesome single, co-op and
multiplayer. The 1st game on the system I couldn't wait to play again. Finished
normal difficulty and started over immediately on hard.
12. Call of Duty 2 - Decent single player campain on Veteran, albiet a wee cheap at
times.
13. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - As good as it was back then, but
it's not a 360 game.
16. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas - Great.
18. Project Gotham Racing 3 - Still haven't opened it.
19. Burnout Revenge - Not a fan of being "safe" if I travel with the flow of
traffic.

Worst:

4. The Golden Compass - Got it cheap, haven't opened it yet.
7. Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer - Got it cheap. Awful. A kid's version
of MUA.
8. Eragon - Got it cheap, haven't opened it yet.
9. Two Worlds - Got it cheap. Very rough start, but once I played a bit to
level raise my character I liked it a lot. Definitely a love/hate game and I'd
never recommend it, but I appreciated what it tried to do and what it did do.
13. Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements - Got it cheap, haven't
opened it yet.

PS3
Best:

2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Have it on 360, but no room for DLC.
Bought this so my wife could have access to the whole she-bang. Haven't
played much myself.
4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Still sealed.
5. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - Still sealed.
6. Burnout Paradise - Overrated. Too many game killing issues (ie; no restart,
auto rails after crash, poor nav system...)
7. The Orange Box - See 360.
8. Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Got it cheap, haven't opened it yet.
9. Resistance: Fall of Man - Still sealed.
11. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - Have it on the 360,
still sealed.
13. Skate - Have it on the 360. Most original thing EA has done in a long time.
16. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas - Hate how only 1 player can log in at
a time on the PS3 version.

Worst:

2. Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer - Got cheap for the 360. Awful.
8. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Got cheap on the 360, not bad
for a movie game.
10. Genji: Days of the Blade - Got it cheap, haven't opened it yet.
12. NASCAR 08 - Got it cheap on the 360, haven't opened it yet.
15. Clive Barker's Jericho - Got it cheap, haven't opened it yet.
Old 04-21-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
These are all games I actually own, not ones I played.

PS3 (Best game: Pixel Junk Monsters. Worst game: Piyotama)
5. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. One of my favorite platforming experiences of the past ten years. It may have helped that I've never played the series before.

PS2 (Best game: Katamari Damacy. Worst game (out of a tiny handful I own): 24).
None

360 (Best game: Oblivion for SP, Rock Band for MP. Worst game: That game with the guy who flicks his tongue).
1. Bioshock. Great game, but no MP limits its replayability. Liked it a lot and may play it again. Don't think it deserves to be #1 though.
2. Orange Box. Great value but I am all Half-Lifed out. I played Portal and have barely touched anything else.
4. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. This is one of the greatest games. That sentence was not missing a clause or modifier.
5. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Incredible single-player campaign and very fun MP. May become my favorite FPS on the system.
6. Halo 3. Not as addictive as Halo 2, but I think it will share its longevity. Forge, Theatre, online co-op may become standards for FPSs in the future.
7. Rock Band. Hands down the best special-peripheral game of all time. Rare is the game where you have several people all play it for 8-12 hours non-stop without any complaints.
8. Guitar Hero II. Lots of fun, but I barely touched it since Rock Band.
10. GR:AW. A fun FPS but it was a bit too hard and tactical for me. The MP missions were great and I wish other games had this: co-op only stages basically.
358. New Rally-X. It's a faithful arcade port, so I can't fault it for that. I actually like this game although at $5 it's probably twice the price it should be.
373. Yaris. I'll let VGT speak for it: "As the title is completely free, you should ask yourself different questions related to value. For instance, ?Is the title worth the 17.5 seconds it will take to download it?? That?s a tough one. You could take out the trash in that amount of time, a much more rewarding task than playing Yaris." To be fair, I've played worse games.

Xbox (Best game: RalliSport Challenge 2. Worst game: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x)
1. Halo: Combat Evolved. Wonderful, but completely overshadowed by its sequel in my opinion.
2. Grand Theft Auto Double Pack. I think I got this on sale for $40. Some of the best $40 in gaming I've ever spent.
3. Halo 2. Possibly the best game in the series, it was still fun to play four years after its release.
6. Burnout 3: Takedown. My intro to the Burnout series and one of those games that was very, very hard to put down.

Wii (Best game: Wii Sports. Worst game: Super Monkeyball).
2. Zelda. Yeah... not that good. I got about an hour or two into it. Sorry, it's hard for me to play this game and get into it after playing Oblivion. You gotta be fucking kidding me, Nintendo.

DS (Best game: Mario Kart DS. Worst game: Worms)
1. Mario Kart DS. This is how all Mario Kart games should play.
2. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Now this is a cool Zelda game. The most fun I've had with Zelda since OOT.
3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Good game, but slightly overrated.
6. New Super Mario Bros. Best proper SMB game since SMW.
7. Meteos. Great puzzler, lot of replay.
9. Osu! Tatakea! Ouendan! Quirky rhythm game that I'm glad I spent the $ to import.

N64 (Best game: Mario Kart 64. Worst game: Cruisin' USA, although I didn't know it at the time)
1. Zelda: OOT. Water temple aside, a perfect game.
2. Perfect Dark. If this was Bond licensed, this would've been huge.
3. Goldeneye 007. I'll say this is up there with SMB as one of the communal experiences of a generation.
5. Super Mario 64. Overrated platformer. Whoop-dee-doo, it does 3D. Lacked the charm of the SMW series and SMB3.
14. Donkey Kong 64. Disappointing.

Dreamcast (Best game: THPS2. Worst game: The Ring).
1. Soul Calibur. I'm not a big fan of fighting games but I liked this one. Overrated for me, personally.
2. THPS2. Awesome. Began the three-title reign of THPS in my mind.
4. Jet Grind Radio. I wish this series was back.
Ikaruga should be in the Top 20...
Old 04-22-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wii
Best:
1. Super Mario Galaxy - Just getting into it. Love the physics.
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - still unopened
3. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Bought at launch, started, got distracted by Elebits or something and never went back. Maybe the next weekend the wife goes out of town we'll take care of unfinished business.
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Maybe I'm tiring of the Prime. I just couldn't get into Corruption like the other Primes. I'm roughly 1/3 through. I'll go back eventually.
7. Zack and Wiki - More like this, please.
8. Super Paper Mario - Had a lot of fun with this. Played straight through. One of two games I've actually finished in recent memory.
(X. Pro Evolution Soccer - would be here at 83.9% were it listed in the search. Still unopened, btw.)
10. No More Heroes - I'm about halfway through. I love to play a level of this in between obsessions with other games. It's one of those games I don't really want to end, but at the same time, gets old when played in abundance.
15. Mario Strikers Charged - Anger. Denial. Rage. Unstoppable urge to break stuff. Also probably the most time logged on any Wii game.
18. Mercury Meltdown Revolution - Fun in doses. I got stuck on a stage and never went back.
20. Rayman Raving Rabbids - For some reason I only play this at parties, but it's always good fun. Who doesn't love the Rabbids?
22. Wii Sports
25. Elebits - underrated. That is until you get so frustrated you start seeing Elebits in your sleep.
59. Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
73. Wii Play

---

Worst:
None

PS3
Best:

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Embarrassingly unopened.
3. Rock Band - The all-consuming one.
4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Finished with single-minded obsession and immediately wanted to play through again.
8. Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Frustrating good times.
9. Resistance: Fall of Man - An early "I have a PS3 with nothing to play" purchase. Never got too far. Maybe 1/5 finished even though it warranted more effort.
10. MLB 08: The Show - Three months into my Road to the Show career I'm batting 2nd for the Richmond Braves and I still haven't taken a single walk. Someone needs to teach me some patience.
14. NHL 08 - Could have been the best NHL game since '93, but dammit if they didn't go and screw every pooch with the franchise mode. Still I played through four years of my Pens franchise and the AI never really got much easier to crack.
16. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas - Eh. I think when you start shooting hostages because you wanted to see if it worked like it did in Speed, it's time to move on from tactical shooters.

--

Worst:
None

DS
Best:

1. Mario Kart DS - It's Mario Kart. Has the formula changed?
2. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - I honestly can't differentiate this game from the other Castlevania's in my head anymore. I like Castlevania.
5. New Super Mario Bros - Only seem to play on vacation. I'm going away again soon. Maybe I'll finish it this time.
6. Meteos - One of my first DS game purchases. I remember thinking this was way better than the new Tetris.
7. Elite Beat Agents - Holy crap I still love this game and randomly go back to play a few of the levels.
9. Planet Puzzle League - Eh. I don't get the excitement.
10. Tetris DS - It's Tetris. If playing Tetris doesn't make you long for the days of blowing into an NES cartridge slot, you're not really alive.
13. Super Mario DS - I really didn't like this game. I'm not sure I finished the first level? Were there levels? I don't even remember the point.
16. Pokemon Pearl - Bought it cheap from Amazon in a moment of weakness. Can I please walk more than three paces without fighing a random battle, please? Geez.
20. Nintendogs - At first I just didn't get the point. And then I got it and preferred when I just didn't get it. I still think it's great for spreading the DS to new and casual gamers. I just had no interest.

Where the hell is Puzzle Quest? PQ's definitely in my Top 3 DS games.

--

Worst:

I thought for sure I'd have some of these... Contact. Star Wars Episode III. I tried here. But not dice.

PS2
Best:

3. Grand Theft Auto - Kicked ass for a week. Then I just got bored.
4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - This brought back the crazy gamer from my early college days when I camped out in front of the TV for a week straight. I don't remember the ending. Was it a good ending? Must not have been.
5. Gran Turismo: A-Spec - Ahh... fond memories.
6. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - I don't know why I even bought this. I got caught up in the hype I guess.
11. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence - I'm a MGS junkie. I don't think I finished this though.
12. Winning Eleven Soccer 7 - This was too intense for me. I sucked and sucked and sucked and then gave it to my soccer-crazed friend.
18. SSX - First game I bought with my launch PS2. And still the most hours logged.

---

Worst:

None

Gamecube
Best:

1. Metroid Prime - hell yes it's #1. It's #1, #2 and #3.
3. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Dug the style, never got into it.
4. Soul Calibur II - Good game, but I was out done with fighting games by the time this came out.
6. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Backtracking is the death of me.
7. Super Mario Sunshine - What were they thinking?
8. Viewtiful Joe - The No More Heroes for the Gamecube. Tons of action-platformer fun.
9. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Did I finish this? I should have.
10. Madden NFL 2004 - It was the Madden of 2004. Yay!
15. NCAA Football 2004 - Best football game of the generation.
16. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - If you never bought this game, shame on you.
18. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II - We've regressed from the days of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, but we loved it anyway.
19. Super Smash Bros. Melee - The reason I bought my GC.

---

Worst:

Still... None.

Last edited by jdpatri; 04-22-08 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-30-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nintendo 64

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time - Still my most satisfying gaming experience of all time.
2. Super Mario 64 - Greatest 3D Platformer ever.
3. Goldeneye 007 - I rented this from Blockbuster on release day, brought it home, played it for 20 minutes with my brother, returned it to Blockbuster, went to Toys R Us, bought it, returned home and resumed playing.
4. Perfect Dark - Many a night in college was wasted playing this on 4 player deathmatch with bots.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Fantastic sequel that nearly lived up to OoT.
7. Banjo-Kazooie - Rare's attempt at a 3D platformer that succeeded.
8. WaveRace 64 - Once I got the hang of the controls, turned out to be a fantastic racer.
10. 1080 Snowboarding - Fun back in the day, but not anymore.
12. Starfox 64 - I think it's much better than it's SNES counterpart.
14. International Superstar Soccer 64 - Years later, I still think it's the best soccer game I've played.
16. Diddy Kong Racing - Being able to choose to fly helped separate this racer from the Mario Kart clones.
17. Beetle Adventure Racing - All I remember is the shortcuts on each track.
18. Excitebike 64 - I bought it used for $5 and haven't really played it.
19. Conker's Bad Fur Day - Foul mouthed, hilarious 3D platformer. I still laugh at the shit monster all these years later.

Game Boy Advance

7. Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Portable version of the greatest racer of all time succeeds brilliantly.
8. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - Astounding how they fit this onto a GBA cart. Lost none of it's awesomeness in the shrinkdown.
10.Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap - Weirdly different take on the Zelda franchise that still rules.

GameCube

1. Metroid Prime - In it's shift from 2D to 3D, MP makes just a big of a leap as Mario 64 did.
4. Legend of Zelda: The WindWaker - As much as I enjoyed playing it, it pales next to MM, Oot and LttP as well as the GB versions.
6. Soul Calibur II - Just being able to play as Link makes this awesome.
9. Super Mario Sunshine - See my comments about Zelda above. Fantastic game, but didn't get to the levels of previous and future installments.
13.Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - Still my favorite TH game. Racking up millions of points in the airport on one combo.

SNES

1. Super Mario World - I got this for Christmas the year it came out and I remember spending the entire vacation beating this game.
2. Super Metroid - For me, this is the best of the Metroid series, and that's high praise.
3. Chrono Trigger - It took me about 6 months and over 20 eBay auctions before I was able to snap a copy for $55. Worth every penny.
4. Super Mario Kart - Later versions improved on the multi-player, but the single-player in this version kicks butt. There's nothing like lapping the entire field in Ghost Valley 1 on 150cc.
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - The only thing that keeps this game from topping the first is Mario's crying everytime he's let go.
7. The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past - My favorite game of all time until Ocarina of Time.
11.Super Mario All-Stars - Bring together 3 of the greatest games of all time, add previously only seen in Japan Lost Levels, mix in improved graphics and sound, and you've got the greatest compilation game of all time, bar none.