Rock Band: Official Thread of Shredding, Pounding and Wailing Part 666

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread of Shredding, Pounding and Wailing Part 666

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So was the Motley Crew song released only on the 360? I can't find it anywhere on the PStore or via Rock Band itself.
Old 04-21-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Krelyan
So was the Motley Crew song released only on the 360? I can't find it anywhere on the PStore or via Rock Band itself.
For some reason, it didn't make onto the PSN last week, but will show up this Thursday.
Old 04-21-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Finally finished my med. drum career. Wow, Green Grass was out of place three tiers before the end. I was 5 starring songs in the last tier but couldn't pass that one without help. Odd choice of placement.

BTW, I just got my first set of replacement drums. I was unsure if mine were bad or if I just suck at drums that bad but after using the new set, it was like playing a new game. It had to be a faulty set of drums.
Old 04-21-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Finally finished my med. drum career. Wow, Green Grass was out of place three tiers before the end. I was 5 starring songs in the last tier but couldn't pass that one without help. Odd choice of placement.
Kick ass!

Yeah, it was a tough one for that tier defintely, but you'll see why it's there once you make it through there on Hard - it isn't that difficult there but the others are tricksy.
Old 04-21-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

BTW, I just got my first set of replacement drums. I was unsure if mine were bad or if I just suck at drums that bad but after using the new set, it was like playing a new game. It had to be a faulty set of drums.
Congrats on passing the tour!! Now that you've done it, you'll see that the real problems with that song are the length of the song, getting used to that repetitive pattern, and the fatigue factor again due to the length. You will probably blow by it in hard now as well.
Old 04-21-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shumway
Congrats on passing the tour!! Now that you've done it, you'll see that the real problems with that song are the length of the song, getting used to that repetitive pattern, and the fatigue factor again due to the length. You will probably blow by it in hard now as well.
Fatigue factor! I feel better knowing that there's a documented reason why I can't finish that song. I've crapped out three times in a row at the 90% completed mark. It retroactively makes me feel like less of a little girl when I broke two blisters and suffered severe shoulder cramping after playing GGaHT once on medium.

Last edited by jdpatri; 04-21-08 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri
Fatigue factor! I feel better knowing that there's a documented reason why I can't finish that song. I've crapped out three times in a row at the 90% completed mark. It retroactively makes me feel like less of a little girl when I broke two blisters and suffered severe shoulder cramping after playing GGaHT once on medium.
You move your shoulders? I find myself hardly even moving my wrist when playing, the only time the whole arm moves is when I move from Yellow->Green then back.
Old 04-21-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shagrath
For some reason, it didn't make onto the PSN last week, but will show up this Thursday.
I don't own a PS3, but from the RB updates I notice in here, they need to get their shit together on PSN.
Old 04-21-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
I don't own a PS3, but from the RB updates I notice in here, they need to get their shit together on PSN.
Well, in their defense Sony did say they were not going to be doing updates for a couple weeks before they updated the store.
Old 04-21-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Well, in their defense Sony did say they were not going to be doing updates for a couple weeks before they updated the store.
That's true. Still, must be pretty annoying for the handful of PS3 players we have in here.
Old 04-21-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lordwow
That's true. Still, must be pretty annoying for the handful of PS3 players we have in here.
I'd imagine, yeah.
Old 04-21-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the speeding up and slowing down makes GG&HT harder also. If you don't account for it, suddenly you are missing all the notes and have no idea why because you are playing the correct part, but it's out of sync.

Can't wait for Screaming for Vengeance tonight...WOOOOT!!!!!!
Old 04-21-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You move your shoulders? I find myself hardly even moving my wrist when playing, the only time the whole arm moves is when I move from Yellow->Green then back.
I think it's not so much the moving of the shoulders but the awkward level I have to sit at the drums and the way I hold my arms. I haven't found a good chair to use.
Old 04-22-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I think it's not so much the moving of the shoulders but the awkward level I have to sit at the drums and the way I hold my arms. I haven't found a good chair to use.
That actually raises a good question, in the tips Harmonix says to make sure you have the kit set to the right height. But what is the right height?
Old 04-22-08, 02:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by porieux
Can't wait for Screaming for Vengeance tonight...WOOOOT!!!!!!
What time does the DLC normally go up? I might have to download this and play a few tracks before going to bed.
Old 04-22-08, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
What time does the DLC normally go up? I might have to download this and play a few tracks before going to bed.
They're usually up by 5AM EST.

I set my alarm for 4:30 so that I could get it as soon as it comes out. Then I'm heading over to a friend's to play the full album before coming back home and crashing again.
Old 04-22-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm passing this week, but glad to see albums are out.
Old 04-22-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't done these on vocals yet, but listening to them, I think the tiering would be higher than it is on most of these. Maybe there's not enough fluctuation in the pitch to be difficult? I don't know. HalfordScreams are gonna be awesome to do though!

DethBoxx, maybe you can fill us in? I see you've done them all on vocals already. I'm too tired to do them all now, after running through the whole album on bass.
Old 04-22-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That actually raises a good question, in the tips Harmonix says to make sure you have the kit set to the right height. But what is the right height?
I've certainly never been able to find a comfortable height. When my arms are comfortable, I'm usually at too flat of an angle to hit the pads cleanly. I actually think the pads need to be angled a little bit more... but I always just assumed I was a crap drummer.
Old 04-22-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I downloaded the Judas Priest album before work. I've got a dentist appointment at noon, then I'm off the rest of the day. I can spend the afternoon screaming for vengeance. Too bad there isn't a way to just select the album to play. That would have been nice. Maybe they'll patch that in soon?
Old 04-22-08, 10:00 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Yeah, they definitely need the ability to play an album straight through, then they can release Rush's 2112.
Old 04-22-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I have my throne set so that my legs are at a 90<sup>o</sup> angle. I actually sit slightly above it. My drum height is so that it's slightly higher than my thighs. So if I were to rest my forearms on my legs, the red pad would almost be level with my left hand.

Mind you, everyone has different tastes as to comfortability.
Old 04-22-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I haven't done these on vocals yet, but listening to them, I think the tiering would be higher than it is on most of these. Maybe there's not enough fluctuation in the pitch to be difficult? I don't know. HalfordScreams are gonna be awesome to do though!

DethBoxx, maybe you can fill us in? I see you've done them all on vocals already. I'm too tired to do them all now, after running through the whole album on bass.
Yeah I had a blast going thru these, in album order, on expert vox. Too bad it was so late/early so I had to sing somewhat quietly...so not so much on the screams heh. I had the playlist sorted alphabetically (solo tour) so I didn't really notice what tier they were on.

I think they are amazingly fun, and IMO they offer a decent challenge. I happen to know most of the songs pretty well so that helped me quite a bit.

There were a few I definitely squeaked by on with only three stars. Pain and Pleasure, Fever, Devil Child, and Take These Chains. Which also happen to be the ones that I remember the least out of the bunch. I think I five starred Riding on the Wind so that may be the easiest one.

Electric Eye and Screaming for Vengeance are challenging and very fun. I did better on those because I know them really well, but you are definitely having to jump around in different registers and hit a lot of different notes. There is a bridge in Electric Eye where it changes key that totally took me by surprise the first time.

There are definitely some challenging guitar solos as well. Haven't gotten to try drums yet, but I can't wait...
Old 04-22-08, 05:22 PM

http://gizmodo.com/382688/lightning-...-mics-in-check

Lightning Review: Rock Band Stand Keeps Your Guitars, Controllers and Mics in Check

The Gadget: A wooden stand that keeps your Rock Band and Guitar Hero guitars, mic, and various controllers in check so they don't otherwise destroy your living room in a mass of plastic and cabling.

The Price: $55 for the standard stand, plus $10 extra if you want extra microphone holder holes.

The Verdict: It works! Propping up your guitars against this thing is much classier than leaning them against walls, cabinets, chairs, dogs or ottomans. There's even two sets of hooks on either side so you can wrap your cables around them for even more neatness.

The unit comes unassembled, but the instructions are pretty clear and only required about 10-15 minutes (with an electric screwdriver) for all the screwing. The only complaint we have with the design is that the middle support rod is a rod, and thus round, and makes it hard for uncoordinated people like us to screw in everything straight. Not a huge deal, but ours ended up crooked.

The creators say that new versions of this thing will be not only sanded, but have a polyurethane coat to make everything smooth and pleasing to the touch. If you're a frequent Rock Band player that's tired of either hiding your gear after a session or just leaving it out in a mess, this is $55 well spent. On a related note, they're also working on a Rock Band Drum Stand that will hold your drums as well as two guitars, which is the only thing missing from this current setup. [Dude Thing Creations]
Chris
Old 04-22-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
For that price you can get a real guitar stand which you can re-sell once you're done playing these games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.