Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread -Part IX

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by msdmoney
The original gamecube controls were good, but I think a wiimote in general would be much better for this type of game. The wiimote acts much like a mouse, and would make unit selection easier in any RTS or RTS lite in Pikmin's case.
Yet the question remains, why waste your money on the Wiimakes when we know Pikmin 3 built for the ground up for Wii is on the way?
Old 10-04-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Quick newbie questions: Is component hook-up the best way to the Wii or do they sell an HDMI connection? Can't seem to find an HDMI but wanted to ask just in case I am overlooking it.

Also, has anyone tried out any 3rd party component hook-ups for the Wii? They seem to run pretty cheap (and they are several...madkatz, NYCO, imax, monster, intec, handhelditems cables unlimited, and even more! Jeez.) but I wouldn't want to risk picture quality for a poor quality 3rd party connection.

Amazon has the iMax one for $3.71 new!
Old 10-04-08, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Quick newbie questions: Is component hook-up the best way to the Wii or do they sell an HDMI connection? Can't seem to find an HDMI but wanted to ask just in case I am overlooking it.

Also, has anyone tried out any 3rd party component hook-ups for the Wii? They seem to run pretty cheap (and they are several...madkatz, NYCO, imax, monster, intec, handhelditems cables unlimited, and even more! Jeez.) but I wouldn't want to risk picture quality for a poor quality 3rd party connection.

Amazon has the iMax one for $3.71 new!

1. No HDMI.

2. Always monoprice.com for any cable needs. The cheapest one is $8 shipped.
Old 10-04-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thelwig14
1. No HDMI.

2. Always monoprice.com for any cable needs. The cheapest one is $8 shipped.
I didn't know monoprice carries specific cables for connections like the Wii, PS3 and 360???
Old 10-04-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I didn't know monoprice carries specific cables for connections like the Wii, PS3 and 360???

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Yep, I never buy any cables unless I check them first.
Old 10-06-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

couple of other questions:

It looks like the only way to connect sound is RCA. Is there not a way to use optical or is RCA the best you get?

Anyone tried any third party LAN connect? Really surprised that you can't connect directly into the freaking system for internet access. I hardwire all my stuff and throwing another $25 or so for internet connection is retarded.

No wonder they kept the cost down on the Wii. I feel like I am going back several years in technology hardware-wise.
Old 10-06-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RCA only.

Wireless only isn't a step backwards, per se, but it is weird they didn't include an ethernet port.
Old 10-06-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I'm so excited for Animal Crossing. I know it will be exactly the same as the others, and I will get bored of collecting after a few weeks, but those first few weeks will be GLORIOUS!
Old 10-11-08, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so many solid wii games lately:
Wario Land
De Blob
Mega Man 9
World of Goo (looks amazing, available this monday 10/13)
Old 10-11-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic the Hedgehog, is no longer with Sega. He has created an independent developer studio named Prope. Their first game has been revealed for Wii. It's called 'Let's Tap', which is described as "the first game even penguins can play."

http://prope.sega.jp/letstap/

The theme song for the game is so catchy it will get stuck in your head. Forever!
Old 10-11-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Monster Hunter Tri trailer

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=41053"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=41053" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>
Old 10-11-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CreatureX
Yuji Naka, creator of Sonic the Hedgehog, is no longer with Sega. He has created an independent developer studio named Prope. Their first game has been revealed for Wii. It's called 'Let's Tap', which is described as "the first game even penguins can play."

http://prope.sega.jp/letstap/

The theme song for the game is so catchy it will get stuck in your head. Forever!
I really want this. Something about it is just interests me.
Old 10-12-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
MH3 looked pretty sweet! Some of those graphics looked pretty good for the Wii.
Old 10-12-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by steebo777
MH3 looked pretty sweet! Some of those graphics looked pretty good for the Wii.
I would say best looking Wii game yet. I haven't tried this series on PSP, but many give the Wii version a try.
Old 10-17-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Quick question:

Is the Wii easier to find in stores now than a few months back? I saw one at Toys R Us today, bought it, and then instantly had buyer's remorse.

I thought "Well, maybe I'll put it on Ebay", but it looks like they're not really moving as quick anymore. I also got Wii Play, Mario Kart Wii and Twilight Princess (the 3 for 2 deal), and wasn't planning on selling it all for much more than retail, but it seems like I may as well just bring it all back and get my cash.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-17-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Meh. Keep it or return it. You might have better luck on eBay/CL in the weeks/days leading up to Christmas if you're ok with $350+ out of pocket for 2 months.
Old 10-19-08, 10:00 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry for the newbie question... I just got a Wii today (to complete my trilogy of consoles this generation). Anyhow, which component cables are the best (or are they the same)? I see a lot of knock-off cables on amazon for $10-$15 and the official cable for $30. Does the quality vary?
Old 10-19-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I don't think it matters. I believe you can get them cheapest on monoprice.
Old 10-20-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What he said....
Old 10-21-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
IGN gives WiiMusic 5/10

Originally Posted by IGN Wii
I think most adults will quickly recognize that Wii Music is little more than a noise maker tied to a series of gestures and grow bored of the experience in a matter of hours, if not minutes. The controls aren't particularly intuitive, but gimmicky, and the selection of music is fundamentally flawed with dated public domain songs rendered in equally dated MIDI. That Guitar Hero World Tour's complementary modes -- namely Mii Freestyle and advanced studio -- completely obliterate the entire Wii Music package is proof just how much Nintendo's game either doesn't do or doesn't do well.
Pretty much what I thought the game looked and sounded like. Is anyone actually getting this?
Old 10-21-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here are some other reviews that like the game much more than IGN:

1up gives WiiMusic an A-

GameSpy gives WiiMusic 3.5/5

GamePro gives WiiMusic 3.5/5
Old 10-21-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also here is the U.S. WiiMusic commercial:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/frKNW-IFj3w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/frKNW-IFj3w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pretty cool commercial!
Old 10-21-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by steebo777
Originally Posted by IGN Wii
I think most adults will quickly recognize that "fill in the blank" is little more than a "blank" tied to a series of gestures and grow bored of the experience in a matter of hours, if not minutes
Isn't this the case with most Wii games??

(my kids will enjoy it)
Old 10-21-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can anyone tell me if the skiing game that comes with WII fit is any different then the WII SKI video game you can buy seperatly?
Old 10-21-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I'm so excited for Animal Crossing. I know it will be exactly the same as the others, and I will get bored of collecting after a few weeks, but those first few weeks will be GLORIOUS!
I was excited as heck about the new Animal Crossing game until I read the main article about the game in the new issue of Nintendo Power I got in the mail yesterday. It looks like people will have to share houses once again like they did in the DS version. That really sucks. Why doesn't Nintendo realize people want their own homes, not shacking up with three or four people in one house.

Also it said that instead of moving around in squares like the Gamecube version, when you walk, it will be like the DS version where you feel like you are walking on a spinning globe. These two things kill any excitement I had for the game. These are the main two reasons I hated the DS version of AC and it's going to be apart of the Wii version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.