Reload this Page >

Questions About Xbox 360 Purchase

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-25-08, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about ready to buy an Xbox 360, so I'm all set for GTA IV. I've been doing some reading about what I'll need and had a few questions.

At this point, do the systems being sold have the new cooler-running CPU? My local Circuit City has the premium console with HDMI. From what I've read, most are saying that if it has HDMI, it has the new CPU.

As for the disc scratching issue. Does this happen more if you have the console standing vertical? I'm going to have mine sitting on a shelf, horizontally, and I won't be moving it around at all. Are there any other precautions I can take?

The last issue is about on-line content. I've had an Xbox for over two years and I've never used their on-line service. I'm not really interested in playing against others on-line, however, if new content is added for GTA IV, I would like to take adventage of that. As I understand it, everyone gets a free 'silver' account just by purchasing the system. If new content is added, is it free to download, because you own the game, or do they charge extra for it? As far as connecting - I have Verizon DSL with the standard DSL modem. I would need to disconnect it and move it to another room, but if I hook up the supplied ethernet cable to the modem, (and the modem to a phone line), and turn everything on, am I good to go?

Thanks......
Old 03-25-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
The last issue is about on-line content. I've had an Xbox for over two years and I've never used their on-line service. I'm not really interested in playing against others on-line, however, if new content is added for GTA IV, I would like to take adventage of that. As I understand it, everyone gets a free 'silver' account just by purchasing the system. If new content is added, is it free to download, because you own the game, or do they charge extra for it? As far as connecting - I have Verizon DSL with the standard DSL modem. I would need to disconnect it and move it to another room, but if I hook up the supplied ethernet cable to the modem, (and the modem to a phone line), and turn everything on, am I good to go?

Thanks......

DLC is extra, you'll need MS Pts, do a search on google.com for Xbox Live Marketplace Points (They can be used for Downloadable Content, rent movies, buy gamerpics, etc) for more info, u can buy em stores in 1600 pts($20) or 4000 pts($50) or you can buy em in smaller bundles off the Xbox Live marketplace in smaller cheaper bundles.

When you first buy an Xbox 360 Elite or Premium you get a 1 Month Gold Account for free, i suggest using it and seeing how you like the service and i really reccomend getting a 1 year sub to xbox live.

As for the newer Xbox 360s, look on the back where the serial number is, if it says "75W" that should indicate an Xbox 360 with a newer chipset and "120w" is the old one.
Old 03-25-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You also might wanna try searching this forum, theres been a lot of questions answered about the Xbox 360 before that might be helpful to you.
Old 03-25-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As for the disc scratching issue. Does this happen more if you have the console standing vertical? I'm going to have mine sitting on a shelf, horizontally, and I won't be moving it around at all. Are there any other precautions I can take?
It doesn't matter how you put your (future) 360. I've heard that some people had disc scratched with their 360 on horizontally stand. Really, I've used my 360 on vertical and horizontally, neither has scratched my discs.

Be sure the 360 has better air intake/outtake. The 360 has pretty hot emitting whenever you use it.
Old 03-25-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
If you have no interest in playing other people online stick with Live Silver. You still have access to all the downloadable content.

Considering the amount of money MS dropped on Rockstar's doorstep I wouldn't get your hopes up that the DLC will be free. It's been rumored that the DLC would be what Vice City and SA was to GTAIII. If that turns out to be true, I'd prepare yourself for $30+ investment in points.
Old 03-25-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the DLC is that big (VC/SA sized), and it runs cocurent with the current map on GTA (that is to say, you're able to drive still without the loading screens into these new neighborhoods), it'd be worth the investment IMHO.
Old 03-25-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Buy an extended warranty! Target has the most reasonably priced one. $29 for 3 years. The Microsoft warranty (now 3 years) will cover everything for the first year, but only RROD issues for the final 2 years of the warranty. So if your DVD drive bites it or some other off problem arise after the first year you would be SOL. The extended warranty will cover any other issues.
Old 03-26-08, 11:04 AM
Banned

Thanks for the responses.

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves
When you first buy an Xbox 360 Elite or Premium you get a 1 Month Gold Account for free, i suggest using it and seeing how you like the service and i really reccomend getting a 1 year sub to xbox live.
I'll definately give it a go. It's just a little inconvenient having to move my DSL modem from another room.

As for the newer Xbox 360s, look on the back where the serial number is, if it says "75W" that should indicate an Xbox 360 with a newer chipset and "120w" is the old one.
Keeping my fingers crossed. I've waited this long, maybe I'll get lucky.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Considering the amount of money MS dropped on Rockstar's doorstep I wouldn't get your hopes up that the DLC will be free. It's been rumored that the DLC would be what Vice City and SA was to GTAIII. If that turns out to be true, I'd prepare yourself for $30+ investment in points.
That sounds great. Sounds more than worth it. I wonder how many gigs on the HD that'll take up...?

Originally Posted by lordwow
If the DLC is that big (VC/SA sized), and it runs cocurent with the current map on GTA (that is to say, you're able to drive still without the loading screens into these new neighborhoods), it'd be worth the investment IMHO.
Absolutely! I'd buy anything that has to do with GTA. I've played every one since GTA III on PC. I'm only buying a 360 so I can play GTA IV. I'm also going to check out Bully and maybe a few other big titles, but GTA IV looks like it's going to be one of the greatest games ever.

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Buy an extended warranty!
Absolutely. That was always on the list.
Old 03-26-08, 11:15 AM

DLC is extra, you'll need MS Pts, do a search on google.com for Xbox Live Marketplace Points (They can be used for Downloadable Content, rent movies, buy gamerpics, etc) for more info, u can buy em stores in 1600 pts($20) or 4000 pts($50) or you can buy em in smaller bundles off the Xbox Live marketplace in smaller cheaper bundles.

basically, and i woundnt worry too much about all that RROD talk thats going around. i have 2 xbox360's, a launch core and an elite and they are both fine.

great system, go get gears of war and kameo!
Old 03-26-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just bought an Xbox from Circuit City...their 2 year plan is 119. Is it worth it? Isn't there a 3 year warranty from Microsoft?
Old 03-26-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by darthlurker
I just bought an Xbox from Circuit City...their 2 year plan is 119. Is it worth it?
Yikes. No way. MS's is two years for $50-$60 and is tacked on to the existing one year general and three year RROD(so 3 years/General & 5 years/RROD). I can't be positive, but I assume CC's starts the day you take your console home and runs concurrent with the manufacturer's warranty.
Old 03-26-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
basically, and i woundnt worry too much about all that RROD talk thats going around. i have 2 xbox360's, a launch core and an elite and they are both fine.
I felt the same way about mine until it RROD exactly one year to the day i bought it. Now theres a lil part of me deep down thats scared shitless that my precious is gonna give me 3 blinking red lights every time i turn it on.
Old 03-26-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Absolutely! I'd buy anything that has to do with GTA. I've played every one since GTA III on PC. I'm only buying a 360 so I can play GTA IV..
You should check out buy.com for the MS Pts. You can get an 4000 MS Pt card for $47.99 but if you never used google checkout before you can get an extra $10 off making the 4000 card $37.99. Shipping is free also.
Old 03-26-08, 04:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Buy it from Costco. Free lifetime warranty and price protection.
Old 04-01-08, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yikes. No way. MS's is two years for $50-$60 and is tacked on to the existing one year general and three year RROD(so 3 years/General & 5 years/RROD). I can't be positive, but I assume CC's starts the day you take your console home and runs concurrent with the manufacturer's warranty.
I've been looking all over the MS Xbox 360 site and I can't find any information about buying an extended warranty from them. I'd like to make sure that I can sign up for their extended warranty when I buy the 360, before I pass on one from the store.
Old 04-01-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've been looking all over the MS Xbox 360 site and I can't find any information about buying an extended warranty from them. I'd like to make sure that I can sign up for their extended warranty when I buy the 360, before I pass on one from the store.
I'm pretty sure the box comes with the warranty card that you fill out and mail in.
Old 04-01-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm pretty sure the box comes with the warranty card that you fill out and mail in.
or call 1-800-4MY-XBOX
Old 04-01-08, 01:46 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
I think this is the info:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/sy...edwarranty.htm
Old 04-02-08, 04:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Thanks, but that appears to be the extended warranty for the regular Xbox. After more research, it does appear that one is offered for the 360. It's just kind of odd that they don't have the info on their site. All I can find is the info about the warranty being extended to a year and the coverage for RROD being extended to three years.

I guess my biggest concern about an extended warranty from Circuit City (other than the $79.99 for two years), is that if something went wrong and I sent the console in for replacement, I'd lose everything on the HD. Saved games are one thing, but I'd hate to lose downloaded content that I paid for.

I've read where, under MicroSoft's warranty, people were able to keep their HD and just send in their console for repair so they didn't lose their data. I've also read reports where people have received, not their original repaired 360, but a refurbished one. Not sure how I feel about that.

It's a toss up. Kind of confusing......
Old 04-02-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've read where, under MicroSoft's warranty, people were able to keep their HD and just send in their console for repair so they didn't lose their data. I've also read reports where people have received, not their original repaired 360, but a refurbished one. Not sure how I feel about that.
All is true.

It's either get a possible refurb from MS(keep your HDD) or a new console( new HDD and lose all your shit on the HD) from CC. Not to mention typically store warranties are one-and-done(you get one exchange), then you have to buy a new warranty for your new system. MS gives you unlimited returns/repairs/refurbs.
Old 04-15-08, 02:57 PM
Banned

So I jumped in and bought a console. Got a Pro, with the HD.

From what I've been reading, it looks like I got a falcon. The manufacture date is 2/28/08 and my power supply says 175W, (as opposed to the 203W power supply that the older consoles use).

Signed up for Microsoft's warranty - $49.99 for two years, with the option to extend it after that. Seems like a good deal.

After set-up, the first thing I did was put in Bully and played around with that for a while. Looked great, although, since it was ported over from the PS2, it's probably not the best representation of the 360's graphic capabilities.

Then I had a look at Xbox Live and the marketplace, (everything worked with my Verizon DSL modem ok). Pretty impressive. Looking forward to exploring it more.

After a couple of hours, I shut it down and felt the back of the console. It definately felt warm, but it wasn't hot. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Now the wait for GTAIV!