Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dark Sector

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 03:13 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Dark Sector

Anyone picking up Dark Sector? Looks like it's coming out in a few days. IGN has a good preview section with lots of videos and info. So far the advance reviews don't seem too impressive. I'm waiting to see what IGN, Gamespot, X-Play and GameSpy have to say.

Gameplayer - 70
All the pieces are there, it’s just missing that magic spark that turns a good game into a great one.

Official Xbox Magazine UK - 70
Dark Sector's ultimate error is that it still can't quite shake off its tag of "just another generic action shooter." But it sure as hell gives it a try.

games(TM) - 70
There’s plenty of fun to be had here, but we’re pretty sure you’ll forget all about it once Epic’s hugely anticipated sequel arrives later this year.

PSM3 Magazine UK - 76
This is a stunning technical achievement, a dark horse, a must-rent and almost a must buy, but it lacks the variety, pacing or innovation to make it truly essential.
Old 03-22-08, 03:46 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Just watch last week's episode of The 1Up Show, and they did an 8 minute segment on Dark Sector. Overall, it seemed like they had a lot of fun with the game. It starts around the 21:45 mark and runs through 30:00.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/17986
Old 03-22-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Why did they even bother making this - it was just a tech demo.
Old 03-22-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I planned on playing it next week but wont be able to until maybe the week after. It looks like it would be fun for a level, but then really boring afterwards. I predicted 6/10 reviews and looks like I may be pretty close.
Old 03-24-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
I know it is last minute but here is a unique $10 off coupon for anyone who wants to buy it from Amazon.com. Post if you use it.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has purchased action and horror video games at Amazon.com, you might be interested in saving $10 on your pre-order of Dark Sector for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. Use code RA7K-2ZKBBU-CSQHA3 to get the "Dark Sector" pre-order instant rebate savings when you purchase the game before March 25, 2008, and enter the code at checkout--each claim code is unique and can't be shared.
Old 03-25-08, 11:10 AM

So who has played this game?
Old 03-25-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
IGN's review is up, 7.7 score. Sounds like it is a lot of fun. I have got it pre-ordered but it hasn't even shipped yet.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/860/860317p1.html
Old 03-25-08, 02:12 PM

can you post the text from this review? it's blocked by my work.
Old 03-25-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It's 3 pages long so no, but here's the conclusion:

Closing Comments
Dark Sector's fun. Hearing guards scream for help just before they take a glaive to the face, marching around in this Metal Gear-looking Jackal tank while rocketing bad guys into the air and wielding a pimped-out shotgun make the experience something any action fan can get behind. However, when the really similar levels and waves of opponents get too repetitive towards the end of the game, Dark Sector's weak storyline might not be enough to carry the more fickle fan to the finish line.

It's fun, but it's not perfect.

IGN Ratings for Dark Sector (X360)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
7.0 Presentation
The mood and music is intense from the opening screen and its shining glaive. Once you're inside the game, the fighting's fun, but the story goes bland.
7.5 Graphics
There are times when Dark Sector looks great -- the fire reflecting on Hayden's arm, the Colossus tears a building apart, etc. -- but then there are times when Hayden's face looks wonky.
7.5 Sound
This game's got Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum as Hayden. He rocks ... although the dialogue can be goofy. I could've done for more ambient effects, but overall I was pleased.
7.5 Gameplay
Based around a cover system, ranged combat is fun, brutal and exciting. However, hand-to-hand combat can be frustrating and the bosses are cake.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
The game runs for about 10 hours and most of that is fun. The fact that your weapons don't carry over sucks, but the new difficulty is a welcome addition. The team-based multiplayer is hit or miss.
Good OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
Old 03-26-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the 5 minute IGN video review last night. Looks like a fun game, but I agree it could get pretty repetitive.
Old 03-26-08, 09:27 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm going to pick it up on my way home from class, in an hour or so. I'm looking forward to playing it as it's a game that I've had my eye on for a while. I went to a couple of Blockbuster locations yesterday and they had it, but told me it wasn't something they could put out until today. I was pissed, since I called ahead and they told me I could pick it up.
Old 03-27-08, 10:41 AM
Banned

I've played through the first three levels and I think its fun, but nothing special. But as you get more special powers, the fun factor increases, so maybe by the end it will ramp up quite a bit.
Old 03-29-08, 02:21 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So far I don’t think the reviews have been fair with this one. I admit that I am only about half way in, and it is going to take a while to get through with my wife taking up all my 360 time playing R6V, but so far I would give this a solid 8.75-9 for fun! I know a lot of reviews say it loses steam toward the end, but so far it has been worth the purchase.
Old 03-31-08, 10:21 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

A local video game store had it available for demo purposes the other day. I played it for ten minutes and really enjoyed it. I actually have it at home (I picked it up last Wednesday,) but I wasn't sure if I was going to open it or not. Now that I've played it, I definitely will once I get a chance.
Old 04-02-08, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So what's the best way to take out the shielded enemies? Use the glaive to move the shield and then open fire? I hit the courtyard level where you run into several of them and it took forever to get through it
Old 04-02-08, 11:45 AM

So I finally got a chance to play this last night. It took about 2 hrs to get 1/2 way through it, so yay for another long game Anyways, the graphics are ok, I really like the presentation etc. The controls, however, are complete rubbish. I never hit the right button most of the time because I instinctively want them to be somewhere better. Bottom line, a decent short rental 6/10. I liked it better the first time when it was called Gears of War.
Old 04-02-08, 01:51 PM

It took about 2 hrs to get 1/2 way through it
How long is it? Maybe I'm just not "getting it" but I spent 45min on one boss alone
Spoiler:

the "ape" thing in the Cathedral (colossus IIRC). There though part of it was I didn't figure out what needed to be done for about 1/2 that time.... kept trying to figure out how the electric option fit into everything, instead of just using the fire

I got hung up in another section (the courtyard w/ all the shielded guys) for at least 1/2 hour because I kept dying
Old 04-02-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read a review it's supposed to be about 10 hours. I would assume that's for an average skill gamer.

Me? I should get about 40-50 hours out of it.
Old 04-02-08, 03:22 PM

Found a walk through here http://guides.ign.com/guides/674091/index.html Seems I'm just shy of 1/2 way though after about 4 hours (including the two problem areas mentioned above).
Old 04-02-08, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by discostu1337
So I finally got a chance to play this last night. It took about 2 hrs to get 1/2 way through it, so yay for another long game Anyways, the graphics are ok, I really like the presentation etc. The controls, however, are complete rubbish. I never hit the right button most of the time because I instinctively want them to be somewhere better. Bottom line, a decent short rental 6/10. I liked it better the first time when it was called Gears of War.
I just reached level 8 last night and have probably put in 7 or 8 hours. There's nothing rubbish about the controls. I did move the sensitivy down about 2-3 notches, this helped alot. Other than that the controls are fine.
Old 04-03-08, 10:30 AM

No, I stand but the controls being bad. "A" to run and "A" to take cover, but then once you are in cover, "A" does not make you jump over it, "B" does all of a sudden. Just stupid crap like that. LB for grenades, which you cannot aim unless you are also holding down LT...yeah, thats easy to do with your left hand Aside from being "lost" a few times because the game tells you nothing, I'm at the boss in act 9 in about 4 hours...short game.
Old 04-07-08, 09:19 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

It took me a little bit to get used to the controls as well. I played about an hour tonight and got to the beginning of chapter 4.

The glave weapon is fun, esp once you can control it.The different ways to kill enemies is fun as well. I will have a fun time getting all the different kill achievements. I have to stumble on some multiplayer as well for those achievements and to see what the online games are like.

I am enjoying it, but probably wouldn't have paid full price for it. It is a rental or bargin copy.

I got it in the mail this weekend to review.
Old 05-07-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started the game over the weekend, but have only gotten to Chapter 3.

I cannot seem to get the timing down on the power throw? I thought it was as soon as the color changed you released. That works sometimes, others not.

What am I missing?
Old 05-09-08, 01:16 PM

What am I missing?
From what I remember it's just a matter of practice. It's a very small window to hit the "sweet spot".
Old 05-12-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok thanks. The instructions make it sound so simple!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.