Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mario Kart Wii

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mario Kart Wii

What controller do you guys generally use to play this game?
Old 09-06-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wii Remote + Nunchuck
Old 09-06-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Classic controller.

I love this game...this and Punchout are the reasons I would never sell the Wii.

I only wish they would have more customization online (rooms with no powerups) and I wish every powerup had a true counter.
Old 09-06-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use the N64 (or do I mean game cube?) controller. it gives more precise control over the steering.

Last edited by runner001; 09-06-09 at 11:13 PM. Reason: error
Old 04-27-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally picked up this game the other day (just got a Wii at Christmas), and I'm loving it. Rainbow Road is currently pistol-whipping me, but it's just a fun course to race on. I've been doing lots of time trials lately to improve my skill b/c the few online races I did to begin with ended with me getting lapped and timing out...

I don't know if I've ever played any MKs other than a bit of DD (maybe on the SNES? Too long ago...), but this is a lot of fun. Also, I haven't gone any higher than the 50cc class yet; I want to get a good grasp of the game before going up a class. Regardless, this is a fun game.
Old 04-27-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice bump.

This thread is especially relevant right now with solid Kart competition out/coming.

Sega All-stars was supposedly very good, and I can't wait to play Modnation Racers.
Old 04-27-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 344 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
I finally picked up this game the other day (just got a Wii at Christmas), and I'm loving it. Rainbow Road is currently pistol-whipping me, but it's just a fun course to race on. I've been doing lots of time trials lately to improve my skill b/c the few online races I did to begin with ended with me getting lapped and timing out...

I don't know if I've ever played any MKs other than a bit of DD (maybe on the SNES? Too long ago...), but this is a lot of fun. Also, I haven't gone any higher than the 50cc class yet; I want to get a good grasp of the game before going up a class. Regardless, this is a fun game.
I just pulled this off the shelf after not playing for a few months and did some online races. Although I get finer control with the classic controller, I always use the Wii Wheel, because it's just more fun. Still a great game and one of the pillars of the Wii.
Old 04-27-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the online play was ruined by the hacker-cheaters. It this still the case?
Old 04-27-10, 12:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I took my five year old online and he won his very first race; no hacks or cheats that I saw.
Old 04-27-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chess
Nice bump.

This thread is especially relevant right now with solid Kart competition out/coming.

Sega All-stars was supposedly very good, and I can't wait to play Modnation Racers.

The lack of online rankings in Sega All-Stars completely killed it for me.
Old 04-27-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thelwig14
The lack of online rankings in Sega All-Stars completely killed it for me.
But you can play online right...and in HD...and with voice chat?

For me, it comes down to weapons and controls. If it doesn't feel like Mario Kart, it's instant fail, and I've become so accustomed to Mario Kart weapons that nothing else feels quite right.

The videos I'm seeing of Modnation Racers makes me really hopeful...particularly the track creation stuff. I'd imagine we'll have a version of every Mario Kart track inside of a week...along with every other licensed property ever. Sucker Punch already did a pretty cool InFAMOUS track.
Old 04-27-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Timely bump for me as well. My buddy just let me borrow this, but he forgot the wheels. I'm keeping it on my backlog until he gets me those ( I don't have a classic controller yet).