Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

MLB 2K8 (360, PS3, PSP, Wii) - March 4th

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-20-08, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, owning the 360 means 2K8 is going to be the game to get if you are a baseball fan. Personally, I haven't played baseball games on the console for many years. I am a big realistic gamer, so I have played religiously OOTP for the PC the last 4 years, and it has never let me down. With that said, I have not played the 2K series or The Show, or anything for the past 3 to 4 years.

I will be buying 2k8 because I love baseball, and I love playing Live. I hope it is at the very least solid in the realistic gameplay area. I've heard good and bad things about the series, but I guess I'll figure it out myself on March the 4th.

If it is worth it, I'd like to get a DVDTalk tournament going....

Hands On: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...yadded;title;1

The card feature sounds pretty nifty...

Who's getting it?
Old 02-20-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be there. Count me in the tourney.
Old 02-24-08, 10:02 AM

So, a 1on1 tourney then?
Old 02-24-08, 11:36 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

MLB 2K8 vs The Show
Old 02-24-08, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mok
MLB 2K8 vs The Show
wat.
Old 02-24-08, 11:55 AM
Mok

Originally Posted by DullandWitless
wat.

I don't know which one to pick up.
Old 02-24-08, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mok

The Show is the only correct answer.
Old 02-24-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 2K series has been underwhelming on the 360 so far, so I'm waiting for reviews. FWIW, I know you mentioned wanting a realistic baseball game, but I still recommend picking up last year's The Bigs. I had a blast with that game, and I'm sure you can find it cheap now.
Old 02-24-08, 03:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm waiting for the demo before I decide but right now my pre-order is for The Show.
Old 02-24-08, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mok
I only have a 360, so if you want to play with me you'll have to get 2K8.... AND I KNOW YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH ME...
Old 02-24-08, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by redcat
The 2K series has been underwhelming on the 360 so far, so I'm waiting for reviews. FWIW, I know you mentioned wanting a realistic baseball game, but I still recommend picking up last year's The Bigs. I had a blast with that game, and I'm sure you can find it cheap now.
Yeah, I've been thinking about getting it but it is so close now to 2K8, I'll simply wait and get that. I hope it doesn't let me down.
Old 02-24-08, 08:21 PM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If only 2kSports would skip region coding their 360-games, I want to play some baseball but with no euro release and region coding I can't.
Old 02-25-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rented MLB 2k7, played about 3 games with it and shipped it immediately back to Gamefly, it was awful. I'll be looking for the Bigs this year rather than this.
Old 02-25-08, 01:16 AM

MLB 2K8 is going to be the same garbage 2K7 was. Thank god I own both so i get to enjoy The Show. If you have a PS3 and you buy 2k8 you are not a baseball fan. It is that bad. If you just own a 360 you do not know what you are missing so you got that going for you.
Old 02-25-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will wait for the reviews.... the controls sucked in last years 2k baseball
Old 02-25-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved last years game, except for the fact that in a franchise, YOU COULDN'T GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS UNLESS THERE WAS A ONE GAME PLAYOFF! Otherwise, it'd just freeze up! And when 2K knew about the glitch, they did absolutely nothing to fix it. I was stuck with a game that I refused to play (franchise is my favorite mode in baseball games).

I'm getting The Show this year.

= J
Old 02-25-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I want MVP Baseball back
Old 02-25-08, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I want MVP Baseball back
Truer words have never been spoken
Old 03-02-08, 12:35 PM

Damn. So I guess it sucks for us 360ers.
Old 03-02-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DullandWitless
Damn. So I guess it sucks for us 360ers.
Not so sure yet. This is from OS on the beta version. Seems they have changed a lot of the batter hitting interface. I'll wait to see after a while what most people think in general.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Major League Baseball 2K8 Beta Impressions
Submitted on: 03/01/2008 by Steve Noah

Yes, these quick blurb impressions are all over the place, as I just typed some things down over the days I played the game.

I'm not working w/ retail here, just beta. I'm not sure how "complete" it is. But there are times where the game doesn't run 60FPS. During pitching/hitting, no problems, but there are occasional hiccups when throwing across the diamond. A few herky jerky animations here and there as well. Again, these may just be issues w/ my Beta.

Yankees stadium has roll call.

Runners are somewhat aggressive on pitches in the dirt.

Got A-Rod on an inside changeup on a 3-2 count. He jumped back as the pitch got closer and headed towards first, ump pumped his fist and A-Rob looked a bit pissed.

Fans do not go after homeruns or foul balls. The fans in general are not fun to look at. They sound pretty good, reacting to situations, etc. But they just look horrible.

Bat sounds are MUCH better than last year.

Ump throws the ball to the pitcher, after a foul ball, most of the time.

Matsui homerun swing/trot looks amazing. Same w/ Manny, Griffey, Beltre to name a few.

On pop ups behind the catcher, you can see the frustration from the batter, as he looks up at it, throws his bat down and jogs to first base, waiting for the catcher to make the grab. Happens w/ pop ups in the infield on occasion as well.

Funny moment. Pop up to the pitcher Wang, A-Rod comes over as Wong settles under it. He runs right into Wang and he falls on his face. Ball drops in play.

I'm actually impressed w/ the pitching interface. It has taken me a few games to get used to it, but wow. It is FUN to pitch!

Seeing a ton of variety in hits, liners, bloopers, hits sprayed all over. I do have an issue w/ the players in the outfield, kinda lazily getting under a fly ball, instead of getting in position, they sort of are in range of catching it...then as it gets closer, they race to actually catch it. Mind you, it doesn't happen all the time, but noticable enough to mention.

Baserunning is extremely easy and to me, feels like second nature.

Benches react on at bats, getting up off the benches to see how far the ball travels on homeruns.

If the AI has someone warming up in the bullpen, you'll see it flash at the bottom of the screen, then a few pitches later, show him warming up.

Jeter made a sick play from short, backhanding a ball to his right, taking 2 steps, then jumping, turning his body and firing to first....bang bang. SICK!

Saw a boneheaded AI play, where the 2nd basemen, instead of throwing to the SS at second for the force, tried to run the runner down going to second. He was safe and no play at first. Only saw this happen once, so far.

Very slick 1st baseman flip to the pitcher, who was on the run. Pitcher makes the catch and heads to the bench, as it was the 3rd out of the inning.

Announcer issues....I'm hearing quite a bit of repeating and a few things that don't make sense. For example, Joe Morgan says it's 3-2, the runners will be running on the pitch, then right after the pitch, screams out, the runner is stealing!

After the 7th inning, they show one of the big plays from the game. Jeanne Zelasko talks about what it's going to take for a team to win, lose, etc.

AI robbed me of a homerun. Nothing spectalar, but a pretty animation nonetheless.

Collision detection....players will run through players...haven't seen any during gameplay, but after a play is made, you will see some players running right through each other.

Runners will advance to home, more often than not, on singles hit to the outfield. Not seeing the third base coach waving the runner home.

Very cool to see a runner go by first and sometimes turn around, real quick after a bang bang play to see what the ump called. Looks very nice...

At the end of the game, Jeanie zolasko mentions the Chevy player of the game. Showing highlights from the player of the game, then highlights from the game itself.
Old 03-02-08, 03:01 PM

That sounds promising. I am getting it anyways, simply because baseball is the only sport I care about, and I must have a game to play, heh. If I really hate it, I'll get rid of it, but I think overall, it may not be the best, but it's our only choice, and it sounds like it'll be pretty solid.
Old 03-03-08, 05:46 AM

I'm a vendor, so I'll be in a few WalMarts around 2, 3, 4 and 5 AM.. so picking this up in hte morning!
Old 03-03-08, 02:33 PM

2K baseball games are always good, i own 2K2 on dreamcast and 2k4 on xbox and 2k5 on xbox. 2K5 is the last version which i played, and even tho a great game, the menus are confusing, too many options lol. I hope 2k8 is nothing like that, so i will get it in the future
Old 03-03-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mok
MLB 2K8 vs The Show

The Show is the way to go. 2k baseball games are horrible. Glad I got the PS3 so I can get the show.
Old 03-03-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
The Show is the way to go. 2k baseball games are horrible. Glad I got the PS3 so I can get the show.
Personally I would wait till the game is out and people play it to make a somewhat good decision (at least for those that have the option to play either game).

So I am not sure how you can make that assumption on a game that redid the pitching and hitting interface before it has come out yet and has been given some decent reviews so far.

But you can go check out all of the bugs so far from the Show that people have found already. I really don't care about some of the minor ones but when it comes to stats that are not correct then that bothers me. Hopefully Sony does come up with a patch for these.

That is why I will wait a few weeks till I get one or the other. And in the end competition is good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.