Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The World Ends With You (Nintendo DS / April 22nd)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The World Ends With You (Nintendo DS / April 22nd)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm up to day 3 and I'm enjoying the fact that I can earn pin points without even playing the game. I've even exploited the system calendar by advancing the days so I can earn even more points.

I still can't get the hang of controlling the upper screen for the life of me so I've set it up for auto fast. I'm actually kicking pretty decent Noise ass with Neku but I still need to sort out the pin commands though. I'm really enjoying the game and I do like the soundtrack alot.
Old 05-02-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Joshua, he's such a prick.
Old 05-05-08, 07:19 AM

Amazon lowered their price to $29.99. Would've taken advantage but I already ordered it with my $25 off $75 buy.com google checkout. Now if it would just get here...
Old 05-05-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lurker Gal
I'm up to day 3 and I'm enjoying the fact that I can earn pin points without even playing the game. I've even exploited the system calendar by advancing the days so I can earn even more points.

I still can't get the hang of controlling the upper screen for the life of me so I've set it up for auto fast. I'm actually kicking pretty decent Noise ass with Neku but I still need to sort out the pin commands though. I'm really enjoying the game and I do like the soundtrack alot.
I'm improving with the dual screen... once I got the hang of the combo system things started to come together. I still regularly get C and D grades, but now at least I'll sneak an A in there once in awhile when controlling both screens. I started Day 3 yesterday. When playing both screens I felt like I was flailing - a la Rock Band drums on Hard with an offbeat kick drum.
Old 05-05-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amateurs. I'm on the second Day 3, have my level set to 1, my partner set to manual and I feel ashamed if I get a Rank A. Also, I did some Mingling with one of my friends (the only one to get far enough, damn slackers), it allows you to buy rare pins for money instead of material pins. Well, technically it allows you to buy whatever they had equipped at the of meeting, pretty cool, plus Mingle PP. The Sushi Pin rocks, a lot!
Old 05-05-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-05-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
I've ordered this now, but I'm a little imtimidated. Seems like a terribly complicated game to me. I haven't played my DS much at all (Only Zelda and Professor Layton in the past 6-9 months), but this is pretty intriguing.
Old 05-05-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a bit complicated. It is particularly overwhelming right at the start (I already mentioned that). But, the game is rather customizable. Easy Mode is open at the start of the game (or damn near it) and you can set the top screen character to automatic, which I personally feel ruins the whole appeal of the game, but I'm sure it's a nice option to give more casual gamers the chance to enjoy the game.
Old 05-07-08, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
It's still $29.99 from Amazon, but it's backordered and shows shipment in 2-4 weeks. And it's free shipping....
Old 05-07-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Again, should I buy a new DS before getting this game? My touch screen is messed up when it comes to accurate touches.
Old 05-07-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Again, should I buy a new DS before getting this game? My touch screen is messed up when it comes to accurate touches.
Probably, this game probably makes the most intense and extensive use of the touch screen of any DS game I've played so far.
Old 05-07-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is a bit complicated. It is particularly overwhelming right at the start (I already mentioned that). But, the game is rather customizable. Easy Mode is open at the start of the game (or damn near it) and you can set the top screen character to automatic, which I personally feel ruins the whole appeal of the game, but I'm sure it's a nice option to give more casual gamers the chance to enjoy the game.
Thankfully it is unlocked at the beginning. I don't mind hard games but the two screen action splits my attention too much it hurts. The only way i will be able to see the story of this game is if the person at the top acts on their own.
Old 05-07-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
From today's Penny Arcade:

I went over some of the basic ideas in The World Ends With You in the hopes that you might get curious enough to play it and learn the rest yourself, but now I can't stop thinking about how delicious they are. I hope you will tolerate another detour into that game's strange cosmology.

I mentioned before the different ways its collectable "pins" project into many different systems, but I have to take a moment to specifically address the idea of MPP, or the experience points you receive from other players.

Tracked distinctly from "Battle PP" (the kind one receives from old-fashioned murder) and "Shutdown PP" (a type of experience you get from not playing, strangely enough), Mingle PP is generated anytime your system comes into contact with another DS. Mingle is a mode you earn, and once you have it, you can set your system to this mode. At this point, any DS wireless signal is going to dish up this special sauce, which is required by some pins to evolve. You get more PP if the other person is in Mingle Mode themselves, but any advancement you get just by walking around is better than a poke in the eye.

I need to express how completely I love this mechanism. There are other games that have this "bark mode" functionality, but this is a tight integration with real systemic meat. Because only the pins you have currently equipped gain the benefits, you have new decisions to make now: what pins do I want to refine, while I'm away? Sitting at my desk with the system open, it feels like the electronic version of spontaneous fermentation. Just so we're clear, that's a good thing.

As you play the game in single player, you enter different shops and meet different shopkeepers. An interesting aspect of Mingle Mode is that you can set your system to have its own shopkeeper, in any shop you want, with any music you want, who will sell a portion of your inventory to other players. They'll even sell things that you worked really hard to get, weird things, like those which would ordinarily require rare materials. These stores are listed in your "Friends" menu, and if your friend makes a purchase from your store you'll get paid next time you see them. Seriously, I'm not fucking kidding. I love this game.

You can also contact "Aliens" while you're mingling, mysterious creatures who dish up a comparatively ridiculous amount of PP. At first I assumed Aliens were another kind of signal, but I think now that Aliens are a cool way to make the entire game available to players who don't have a crew they can farm experience with. They're essentially random drops, lucky rolls, and their extraordinary reward coupled with their funny descriptions always equal joy.

The last way you earn MPP is by playing "Tin Pin Slammer," a four player minigame you can buy in a shop. It's like a bad-ass version of Marbles, loaded up with crazy stats and special moves. I unlocked this right about the time I thought the game couldn't get any better.
Old 05-07-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
From today's Penny Arcade:
You could probably write love letters for almost every small thing this game does so well and uniquely. The food system is awesome, Mingle Mode and Friend Shops are damn cool (I just wish more than one person I convinced to buy it would get that far), the sheer variety of touch screen attacks and just how well they work considering the chaotic nature of using them and my personal favorite: dressing the boys in girl's clothing.

Fact:
I will personally man slap the next douchebag that complains about Final Fantasy rereleases that didn't buy this.
Old 05-07-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
*God, I hope he's not referring to me...*

I did buy this, I just haven't got around to opening it yet. I need to finish PW4:AJ first. I did get my BB price match yesterday so I got it for $28.99+tax

I just wish I had friends who would play this sort of thing to fully use the Mingle Mode described above. I'm sure that works well in Japan what with public transportation and no elbow-room, but here in Oklahoma... not so much.
Old 05-07-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, Mingle Mode is completely optional and the aforementioned alien encounters allows you to use it if you don't know anybody with a DS. Pinata, didn't you get your wife or daughter a DS? Mingle Mode does three things: it'll pick up signals of other people in Mingle Mode, it'll pick up signals of another DS that is in Wireless mode of ANY kind (even Pitcochat) and it'll give random bonuses if no signals are encountered. So you can use it regardless, though you can only get Friend Shops with another person that has the game.
Old 05-07-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, so it doesn't require multiple TWEWY carts? Nice!
Old 05-07-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Oh, so it doesn't require multiple TWEWY carts? Nice!
Yup, but don't be TOO excited over it. Hitting three friends on Pictochat and one on The World Ends With You netted me 110 PP. A single, well executed four-chain Noise battle gets me around 150 PP. So, it's a cool feature but only important if you want to obsessively get and evolve every single Pin in the game.
Old 05-07-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ But it'll work if I just leave them on overnight, yeah? I assume I can keep the shells closed too for this "bark mode" feature to work as well.
Old 05-07-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right, if you just leave it closed and it picks up no signals, it should (as far as I understand it) give you random bonuses as "Alien Encounters." You can even set it to auto-save and turn off if the battery gets low. The only thing I don't like about that is that it counts that time on your save file, so if you leave it on Mingle Mode to pick up Mingle PP overnight, it'll add that eight hours to your game clock. Not a big deal, of course, but I do like to see how much time I've put into a game.
Old 05-22-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is anybody still playing this? I'm on the third week right now, been doing a lot of extra fighting switching between Normal, Easy and Hard to get all the different rewards (the Hard Mode drops are usually pretty sweet). All but one of my friends that I coerced into getting this are really meandering their way through it. I really love how much new stuff the game throws at you, even later in the game, it definitely helps keep things fresh.
Old 05-22-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've got my hands full with GTA at the moment. I may get this game for my vacation this summer so I've got something to do while I'm waiting at airports, etc.
Old 05-22-08, 02:50 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

So is anybody still playing this? I'm on the third week right now, been doing a lot of extra fighting switching between Normal, Easy and Hard to get all the different rewards (the Hard Mode drops are usually pretty sweet). All but one of my friends that I coerced into getting this are really meandering their way through it. I really love how much new stuff the game throws at you, even later in the game, it definitely helps keep things fresh.
I haven't posted in this thread yet, I believe, but I am still playing the game.

I haven't gotten to use Mingle Mode or friend shops as I don't know many people close that have a DS.

I am in the third week as well on Day 5 or 6.
Old 05-23-08, 10:49 AM

I'm still chugging along on TWEWY. I'm on Day 2 with Joshua and he's about as useful as a brick. I think I'm biased because I liked Shiki much better.
Old 05-27-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I beat it yesterday and wow, what an ending.

This is simply the best DS game ever made and it WILL be my Game of 2008, no contest (sorry No More Heroes).

Even though I beat it, it's still not leaving my DS any time soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.