Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Console newbie looking for RPG (PS2/3) suggestions?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-04-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Recently bought a PS3 (80GB version) - mainly with Blu Ray in mind. But you know ... I've heard this sucker plays games too I've been out of the console gaming loop for a LONG time (late 80s Nintendo Gameboy to be exact). I like PC games - my favorite genres are RPGs and adventures. Story-heavy games with some thinking and strategy, light on button mashing and twitch reflexes. Now that a whole catalog of games has just opened up to me, what are some of the things you think I should try first?

I know about the basic differences between console and PC RPGs, and I'd like to think I'm open to giving the other side a shot. I've enjoyed a couple PC RPGs games that were very console-like ("Septerra Core" and "Anachronox") in the past. I liked the anime-style storytelling, characters and original world of "Septerra Core", though I found the combat system tedious. "Anachronox" was one of my favorite sleeper games. Again, strong story/worlds/characters, combat was more fun, great humor, fun mini-games. It's shortcomings weren't really related to its console-ness: horrible bugs and incomplete story.

I picked up and played "Kingdom Hearts" when buying the PS3 (my niece recommended it, and it had universally great reviews). Things I like: colorful, screen-filling graphics that grab me much more than even more current PC games; engaging characters and storyline (the use of Disney characters and settings is well done); simple combat with many random monster spawns being avoidable (just run into the next room); generous save points and forgiving reloads after dying. Things I don't like: "jumpy" puzzles - I just don't enjoy that kind of gameplay, especially when you're trying to jump with random monsters spawning all over you. The leveling is a bit simple for my tastes, but I guess that comes with the territory (of console RPGs). And there doesn't seem much to spend "munny" on besides restocking potions. But overall I'd give a certain thumbs up.

So can anyone point me to other games to try out? Of course, I've heard of the Final Fantasy series. I bought FF12, but haven't played it. 9 and 10 are readily available. Is playing in order an issue at all? After that, I'm not sure where to start. Like I said, I prefer games with more an emphasis on story and strategy, rather than button mashing and reflexes. Dialog and cut-scenes don't bother me.
Old 02-04-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....hlight=kingdom
Old 02-04-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You want to check the compatibility list for any PS2 recommendations of course. Also, the PS3 doesn't have much in the way of good JRPGs so some patience is required there.

Anyway, I would highly recommend Persona 3 and Final Fantasy XII. Both avoid the forced/random battles for the most part and are excellent games. Since you already have FF12 it's a great place to start. Once you finish that game it might be worth checking out the older FFs, just be careful because the combat mechanics are quite different!

"Tales" fans seem to like Tales of the Abyss PS2 the best from the PS2 Tales games, and it has a twitch based action combat system, but the graphics are a bit ugly.

If you don't mind moving back into the PS1 area, Suikoden 2 is an absolute classic of the genre, with great story and characters, although maybe seems a tad archaic these days (and expensive too). One of the best endings in a JRPG.

Another that I haven't played yet which seems to have a fair bit of fan love is Rogue Galaxy.

I recommend checking reviews on all of the above games for more information.
Old 02-04-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dragon Quest VIII
Rogue Galaxy

These two were recommended to me and I was able to track them both down on the cheap. I haven't had the chance to player either yet, but as soon as I am finished with Blue Dragon (360) I will give them a shot. (DQVIII has turned based fighting, RG has more action fighting)
Old 02-04-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i hated the jumping aspect in some parts myself ur the first person iv heard hate it also

FF series u dont need to play in order FF12 is a solid start along with FFX

Oblivion is also a great game and plenty bang for ur buck if u like that style

other ps2 rpgs i enjoyed

Dark Cloud 1/2
kingdom hearts 2
shadow hearts covenant

going by ur pros and cons i think ull enjoy these
Old 02-04-08, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only thing I would say about Dragonquest VIII is that I found the characters and story almost entirely uninteresting. So I managed to put in about 25 hours but finally threw in the towel. I gather it's a really long game too.

I have heard pretty high recommendations for Dark Cloud 2 elsewhere but never got the chance to play it myself. I'm about 7 hours into Shadow Hearts Covenant but the story hasn't really kicked in yet so I've kind of lost interest at this point.
Old 02-04-08, 11:14 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you might want to check out Folklore (PS3). You can download the demo at the PSN store.

I know some people that rave about Folklore. Based on all the recommendations, I've bought the game, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Here's the IGN video review (9.0/10):

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=826967&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/824/824567/folklore_vidreview_100207_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/824/824614p1.html

Last edited by TheBigDave; 02-04-08 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oblivion is the best RPG so far of the next gen RPG's.
Old 02-04-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I only play RPGs and I am playing FF10 on my PS3, I played it on the PS2, I picked up Oblivion but have not had the time to get in to it. A new FF is coming out some time this year (maybe). I also played a couple of levels of Baldur's Gate just to see what it looked like, you might enjoy that one. Thanks everybody for the game suggestions.
Old 02-07-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oblivion was released for the PS3 if i'm not mistaken...........
Old 02-07-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neiname
While that's good overall suggestions, the OP of that thread specifically asked for no RPGs. Maybe the threads will end up complimenting each other well

I can't recommend DQ8 enough. It's engrossing and beautiful with classic gameplay that hasn't changed much since the NES days.
Old 02-07-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
Oblivion is the best RPG so far of the next gen RPG's.
i agree...

just go ahead and get 'Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls' and then check back in like 6 months when you are jobless and haven't left the house in weeks...
Old 02-07-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suggest the following:

Persona 3

Final Fantasy X (although FF12 is better so you might as well play that one first)

Shadow Hearts, SH Covenant and From the New World

Breath of Fire V Dragon Quarter (this is a strange one since you have to die and restart game to see everything, but it is well done)

Grandia III

MS Saga: A New Dawn

Rogue Galaxy

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

Steambot Chronicles

Valkyrie Profile 2

One (or more) of the following series supposed to be good, but I don't have them so I can't help you (Namco's Tales series, Wild Arms series).

And if you like SRPGs, then there are many more to choose from (Disgaea, etc).
Old 02-07-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but you might want to check out Folklore (PS3). You can download the demo at the PSN store.

I know some people that rave about Folklore. Based on all the recommendations, I've bought the game, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Here's the IGN video review (9.0/10)
That sounds fascinating. I guess at some point I should try playing PS3 games on my PS3 How does pricing for console games typically go? $60 seems a bit steep, to me. How long does it take to drop down into the more reasonable $20-$40 range?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. And I've played Oblivion for the PC.
Old 02-07-08, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
How does pricing for console games typically go? $60 seems a bit steep, to me. How long does it take to drop down into the more reasonable $20-$40 range?
I got a used copy of Folklore in excellent condition on eBay for $32. I think that's a very good deal, and a bit below the typical price. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a good used copy for $35-$40.
Old 02-07-08, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
just go ahead and get 'Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls' and then check back in like 6 months when you are jobless and haven't left the house in weeks...

Not to nitpick, but it is actually The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. Oblivion is the fourth game in the Elder Scrolls series.
Old 02-08-08, 01:07 AM

I just noticed that Best Buy will have Folklore (PS3) on sale next week for $40 (2/10 - 2/16).

They also have a coupon good for $10 Off $75 for Games & Accessories (in-store only).

http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/pp/edit...A=1007&ci=9758

Lately, Amazon has been dropping their prices to match Best Buy's sale prices. So you can also try to pick it up there next week.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 02-08-08 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Not to nitpick, but it is actually The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. Oblivion is the fourth game in the Elder Scrolls series.
so you're nitpicking...

Old 02-08-08, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I just noticed that Best Buy will have Folklore (PS3) on sale next week for $40 (2/10 - 2/16).

They also have a coupon good for $10 Off $75 for Games & Accessories (in-store only).

http://emailinfo.bestbuy.com/pp/edit...A=1007&ci=9758

Lately, Amazon has been dropping their prices to match Best Buy's sale prices. So you can also try to pick it up there next week.
Target has it clearance priced now for just under $30, they also have
Ninja Gaiden for the same few cents below $30 and Jericho for a bit under $25.
Old 02-08-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Target has it clearance priced now for just under $30, they also have
Ninja Gaiden for the same few cents below $30 and Jericho for a bit under $25.
My Target's "clearance" price on Folklore was $41.98.

I'll wait for the BB sale.