Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got a PS3...Recommend a game for me.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Title says it all. Got a PS3 a couple weeks ago and I have enough money for probably one game. I'm not a huge gamer, but usually enjoy FPS, racing games, and games with high replay value.

Since I have wireless internet w/PS3, I assume online gaming is free, contrary to the 360, so I will play this online.

I've looked at Burnout Paradise or COD4 as choices I seem to like.

Anywho, any recommendations for a game?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Resistence: Fall of Man, COD4, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, or Rachet and Clank

Also, if they have fixed some of the issues, The Orange Box is an AMAZING value

Last edited by REL77; 01-22-08 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenX
Since I have wireless internet w/PS3, I assume online gaming is free, contrary to the 360, so I will play this online.
Sorry. That gets me every time. Anyone who can't afford $4 a month, at full price mind you, shouldn't own a $500 console and be buying $60 games.

Anyway, on to the actual topic. Ratchet is the best game I've played but doesn't really fit any of your criteria. Why not get a couple used games for the price of one new one? The Darkness is a great FPS (little replay though), and Rainbow 6: Vegas gets high marks. Grab Everyday Shooter off the PS store.
Old 01-22-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
For a FPS, CoD4 is the best that's out. Resistance was excellent as well and still has a huge on-line community.

GT5 Prolouge is out in March for $39. That'll be great for racing fans. Or you can import it for about $50. It's not region coded.
Old 01-22-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Title says it all. Got a PS3 a couple weeks ago and I have enough money for probably one game. I'm not a huge gamer, but usually enjoy FPS, racing games, and games with high replay value.

I've looked at Burnout Paradise or COD4 as choices I seem to like.

Anywho, any recommendations for a game?

Thanks!
Go with CoD4 and Burnout Paradise.

Resistence is an okay game but not worth full price by any means, decent multiplayer, lackluster single player and visuals that have not aged well at all (bland levels and some of the worst looking character models of this generation, the worst for a popular title). I just started playing it for the first time a few weeks ago, you can do much, much better for, generally speaking, less.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a badass, fun game if you've never played it.

CoD4 is the current best multiplayer FPS on any platform right now, has a great single player campaign as well. Unreal Tournament 3 (online only, the single player is a joke) and Raibow Six Vegas are also a blast.

Burnout Paradise looks like a lot of fun, but I haven't played it yet past the demo (enjoyed the previous burnouts and the new interface doesn't bother me).

Last edited by RichC2; 01-22-08 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
COD4, Burnout Paradise, and The Orange Box are the games to get.
Old 01-22-08, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Sorry. That gets me every time. Anyone who can't afford $4 a month, at full price mind you, shouldn't own a $500 console and be buying $60 games.
What kind of logic is that? There's a difference between not being able to spend that cash and not wanting to. Bah, I'm too lazy to write a full rebuttal.

On topic, you can't go wrong with either COD4 or Burnout Paradise.
Old 01-22-08, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by WepaMan
What kind of logic is that? There's a difference between not being able to spend that cash and not wanting to. Bah, I'm too lazy to write a full rebuttal.

On topic, you can't go wrong with either COD4 or Burnout Paradise.
In response to Michael, its the latter. I don't game enough to justify $50 a year extra just to play with other people, ain't worth it TO ME. I bought the $400 GAMING SYSTEM for the blu ray player, and everything else is a plus for me. If you're a gamer, I understand, totally. I, however, am not. I'd appreciate not being told where to spend my money, and how much spend on what. WepaMan, I guess you see where I'm coming from.

Now, to the topic. THANKS A BILLION to everyone, I will probably get COD4, looks to be universally praised, and will have some high replay value for me.
Old 01-22-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

StephenX, dont Sell the Orange short either... Look what it offers, 5 differernt games, one being an online game that has support from their studio who is always looking to improve its gameplay (TF2)... If you can, but both those 2 games used, and your good to go.
Old 01-22-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah, I forgot Orange Box came out on the PS3. That combo is a winner.
Old 01-22-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Resistance: Fall of Man
Old 01-22-08, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by REL77
Resistence: Fall of Man, COD4, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, or Rachet and Clank

Also, if they have fixed some of the issues, The Orange Box is an AMAZING value
pretty much
Old 01-22-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
COD4, to be certain.
Old 01-22-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
In response to Michael, its the latter. I don't game enough to justify $50 a year extra just to play with other people, ain't worth it TO ME.
Which is fine. It wasn't directed at you. It was a general comment in regards to a tired argument(PS3 is free, Live is not) that is always gets tossed around when the two are brought up, like in your original post.

For some reason I've been coming off as a dick the past couple days. I'm really not... I promise. Maybe it's something in my diet.
Old 01-22-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you like skateboarding games, SKATE is just an incredible game. Its kind of a niche genre, but the game itself is awesome.
Old 01-22-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also in the same boat, just having picked up a PS3 as well. I got Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction thrown in for free, but I'm struggling to decide whether I should keep it or sell it off to fund some Blu-Ray movie purchases. I purchased the PS3 primarily for movies, but I can't reasonably disregard the whole gaming aspect of the machine.

Out of the current batch of PS3 titles the ones that seem to stand out (aside from the aforementioned title) are:

Resistance: Fall of Man
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Time Crisis 4

Looking forward to later this year:

Devil May Cry 4 (February)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (June)
Killzone 2 (September)

Last edited by Yavin; 01-22-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 08:48 PM
Banned

Top 5 PS3 games:

1. Virtua Fighter 5
2. Unreal Tournament III
3. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
4. Call of Duty 4
5. Resistance: Fall of Men
Old 01-24-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just curious as to how much hotter the 40 GB PS3 gets while playing games for a couple of hours (as opposed to playing a Blu-Ray movie for a couple of hours)?
Old 01-24-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Yavin
Just curious as to how much hotter the 40 GB PS3 gets while playing games for a couple of hours (as opposed to playing a Blu-Ray movie for a couple of hours)?
I haven't noticed any difference at all. My PS3 (20gig) stays cool and quite regardless of what type of disc I'm playing. Even when the fan kicks in, it's hardly noticeable unless the room is silent.
Old 01-24-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I haven't noticed any difference at all. My PS3 (20gig) stays cool and quite regardless of what type of disc I'm playing. Even when the fan kicks in, it's hardly noticeable unless the room is silent.
Ok, I was only concerned because I thought that maybe if I only used the PS3 for movies then it might last longer (read, not heat up as much). Currently, I have the PS3 sitting horizontally in the shelf of an entertainment unit with an open front, about 6 inches of space on the sides and back of it, and a good 12-15 inches of space above it. The backing board that covers the back of that shelf only runs about 2/3-3/4 of the way behind the PS3 (so the area behind the PS3 is not completely open/closed). I am hoping this is enough space to prevent it from overheating.
Old 01-24-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a lot more space than mine has. I have probably 2-3 inches on the top and sides with the front and back open. Even then I've only noticed the fan go on a handful of times since I bought it last Jan.
Old 01-24-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
That's a lot more space than mine has. I have probably 2-3 inches on the top and sides with the front and back open. Even then I've only noticed the fan go on a handful of times since I bought it last Jan.
See, you have the front and back open, whereas I have the front open and only 1/3 to 1/4 of the back open. That's the only thing that worries me (I worry too much).
Old 01-24-08, 09:52 PM

The regular edition of Oblivion is down to $29.99 If you can find it, try Ridge Racer 7. I love the Ridge Racer series and it's reduced in price as well. But the best (exclusive) game is Rachet and Clank. This game is a must buy, if you are a fan of the series.
Old 01-25-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Parasol Stars
The regular edition of Oblivion is down to $29.99 If you can find it, try Ridge Racer 7. I love the Ridge Racer series and it's reduced in price as well. But the best (exclusive) game is Rachet and Clank. This game is a must buy, if you are a fan of the series.
I got R&C free with my system but with this week there's a new PS3 sale and I could actually return R&C for free copies of Rainbow Six Vegas and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2. The metacritic reviews for these games seem pretty favorable. Would they be worth my while if I'm in for a great-looking shooter/tactical-shooter? I'm also planning on picking up Resistance: Fall of Man.
Old 01-25-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

*cough* R&C > Resistance *cough*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.