Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Burnout Paradise

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented this last night and i think it's a lot of fun. Granted i have no clue what the fuck i'm doing but it's still a lot of fun.
Old 02-05-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves
I rented this last night and i think it's a lot of fun. Granted i have no clue what the fuck i'm doing but it's still a lot of fun.
I played the demo, bought the game on release day, and having a blast.

This is one of the benefits of being an old fogey lamer-gamer... I don't know a good game from a bad one. I get to have fun anyways. LOL
Old 02-05-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer

This is one of the benefits of being an old fogey lamer-gamer... I don't know a good game from a bad one. I get to have fun anyways. LOL
No one is saying it is a bad game. It's a great game. It's just a bad Burnout game.
Old 02-06-08, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No one is saying it is a bad game. It's a great game. It's just a bad Burnout game.
Paradise is like TDU with roid rage...

I like it!
Old 02-06-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got my 360 back yesterday, and just started playing Burnout Paradise. I love it so far.

One of my favorite parts is taking down a car you've unlocked to send it to the junk yard. They did a great job having the car speed by you wrecklessly all of the sudden while you are just driving around. It's like when somebody speeds by you on the freeway at 100+ in real life weaving in and out of traffic and you're thinking "I hope a a cop gets them." But in this case you can chase them down and take them out yourself.

Anyways I want to start playing some online, so if anybody is playing add me to your list

Gamertag= Mos Mike D

Last edited by msdmoney; 02-06-08 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
When people claiming that it is a bad Burnout game so much so that they won't buy it (or regret buying it) it is safe to say that they think it is a bad game.
Old 02-06-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
When people claiming that it is a bad Burnout game so much so that they won't buy it (or regret buying it) it is safe to say that they think it is a bad game.
I think it's a bad game. I think with a few tweaks it could have been a good game. But the aforementioned design flaws and omissions make it a bad game to me, Burnout or not.

Last edited by Goldblum; 02-06-08 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really want to like this game, but after spending a few days with it I just don't think Burnout in this incarnation is for me.
Old 02-14-08, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is one of those games I really should rent before I buy, I hated the demo, but there seem to be a lot of compliments about the full game.
Old 02-14-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd say a rental is the way to go. It's a fun diversion for a couple weeks. I don't think it has the staying power as the other titles in the franchise.
Old 02-14-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd say a rental is the way to go. It's a fun diversion for a couple weeks. I don't think it has the staying power as the other titles in the franchise.
Ya, maybe I'll try to YF360Games it.
Old 02-14-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lordwow
Ya, maybe I'll try to YF360Games it.
That's how I got it. Just the right price.

They actually accidentally shipped me two and believe it or not I can't sell it on half.com. I've got it under $50 and still no bites. I wonder how well it's actually doing.
Old 02-14-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's how I got it. Just the right price.

They actually accidentally shipped me two and believe it or not I can't sell it on half.com. I've got it under $50 and still no bites. I wonder how well it's actually doing.
That's always nice. I got 2 copies of Mass Effect similarly (through FV), and it took a while for people to bite on that as well.
Old 03-08-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Finally got this with the $50 off at Buy.com and I'm loving it. My only gripe so far is the fact you only get one save file. WTF? I have to hassle now with copying my save to a CF card and deleting it so my son can have his own save file that he has to copy and delete when done. Seems very 1995 to me.
Old 03-09-08, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got to the point where I have my Burnout license and what was annoying before is
now pretty much game ruining. Whereas before to get a license rank up you could
cherry pick the events near the 8 finish lines to rack up enough wins, to get higher
than the burnout you need to do them all. This is where you really need to have
both a race retry/restart, as well as a warp to event location by choosing it on the
map. These could not be more warranted than in the burning laps... back and forth
from the junkyard to the single event, then drive back to the start if you miss by
a few seconds. Ugh, saps the fun right out of it.

That auto-rails crap gets old fast too (where the car auto-aligns itself after
you crash someone). Over the course of my playing I've missed tons of turns
from that and the magic warp after you crash yourself where it tosses you
back onto the streets but usually just AFTER the turn you wrecked trying to
make.
Old 03-09-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Finally got this with the $50 off at Buy.com and I'm loving it. My only gripe so far is the fact you only get one save file. WTF? I have to hassle now with copying my save to a CF card and deleting it so my son can have his own save file that he has to copy and delete when done. Seems very 1995 to me.
Why not make another user profile for him? They'll save independent of each other that way.
Old 03-09-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Why not make another user profile for him? They'll save independent of each other that way.
Wow, I have owned this PS3 like a year and never knew that. Thanks that will solve some hassle.

I played this a ton yesterday and the warts are pretty obvious and I definitely see some of the complaints. I didn't mind not being able to redo a race at first, but it definitely sucks when you are trying to do the burning routes. The whole reason I'm usually driving the car is to win that race and it sucks driving all the way back to rerun it.

There are also several cars that I have unlocked that are completely worthless. If the car has zero handling why even include it? It is not like you can win any event with it so it so leave it out of the game.

I have 20 cars unlocked and I'm about halfway to my A license though I doubt I finish getting it. I do enjoy the free roaming experience and still have a lot of gates, signs and jumps to find and will probably end up just doing that. I've grown tired of most of the events already. Marked Man is now completely frustrating and not being able to easily restart a race has me skipping that feature. I also have yet to pass a single stunt mode. I honestly don't get that one.

I definitely like the game for the free roaming experience and have enjoyed many of the races and road rage events, but I hope Criterion patches this game to address the complaints and adds crash mode and more to do free roaming through downloadable content.
Old 03-09-08, 10:57 AM

use a speed car for stunt runs. Every burnout you get nets you points and it multiplies with the number of burnout you do. By the time you reach 10X if you have any multiplier at all you should easily beat the target score. The SI-7 is the easiest to handle.
Old 03-09-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JBR52
use a speed car for stunt runs. Every burnout you get nets you points and it multiplies with the number of burnout you do. By the time you reach 10X if you have any multiplier at all you should easily beat the target score. The SI-7 is the easiest to handle.
Ah, okay. I will give that a try. I have just been drifting and jumping and wasn't really getting the whole combo thing. I will try it with the SI-7. I had been using the Fastback Special and Hyperion Rattler mostly and hadn't had much success with stunt runs, but hadn't tried the Burnout combo. The Fastback gets going so fast normally that I crash before I can do 2-3 burnouts.
Old 03-09-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, SI-7 did the trick. I can definitely keep the Burnout combos going long enough to score enough points since this car is slower and handles better. I'm up to 25 cars now. I just unlocked the 616 Sport and really like it for Road Rage. It handles well enough to keep the opponents off of you and it is fast enough so you don't need to boost to crash people. The burning route for it seems impossible though so I'm probably missing a short cut somewhere.
Old 03-10-08, 03:25 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Here's some news on the upcoming DLC:

Criterion's Alex Ward hopped on the forums to tell everyone that all upcoming Paradise DLC will be bridges that lead off of Paradise City into new DLC worlds and experiences. This of course is a great way to not divide the community, because anyone who doesn't have the DLC simply cannot cross the bridge and instead will remain in Paradise City. Genius! Criterion also dangled a carrot in front of our noses by giving us a video of a new vehicle, The Dust Storm, that'll be included in the next DLC batch. Yummy!

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03...d-bridges-too/
Here you can see footage of the new car and one of the bridges. According to the info posted at the Criterion Forums, this is "the first in a series of islands adding to Paradise City, each offering a different type of gameplay".

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcrprEQwSpE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcrprEQwSpE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-10-08 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in for the DLC. I got my A license and finally unlocked some cars fast enough to get the hard to reach billboards. The Burnout license seems out of reach for me, but I'm happy with the game overall. The free roaming is why I bought the game and it is a blast. I finished up today at 20 hours and finally found all the gates and billboards, but still need 4 jumps. I've really overplayed it this weekend though so hopefully it will be a few weeks before the DLC hits. I need a break.

Last edited by darkside; 03-10-08 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-10-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
That worked great for us. And it's been a helpful trick in a couple of other games with the same limitation.

As for Burnout, I finished it last Sunday (saved the last race for my birthday ). I've not done any online racing at all yet and don't know if I will. But I'm now at 100% with the platinum cars.
Old 03-12-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
And so Yahtzee chimes in on Burnout Paradise's broken-ass gameplay. And as always, he's right on the money.

I swear, this game was one big pile of misguided potential.
Old 03-12-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Funny stuff. I agree about the retardedness of looking at your map during a race. However messing around trying to do stunts and stuff online is pretty darn fun. And taking out the car you've just won to put it in your junkyard is pretty rewarding.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.