Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Burnout Paradise

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edison
The release date is the 22nd, so you should get it next Tuesday. I heard one store already got them in, I wonder if people will be playing this weekend?
That would be nice, but out here in the apparent backwoods of Boise, we're lucky to see new releases by Wednesday. Usually it's Thursday, and sometimes Friday, before EB gets their shipments. If I'm going to pay full price, I usually pick it up at BB or WM, but the EB gift card left me little choice.
Old 01-17-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No arrow. "You'll be at the mercy of the pause screen" looking at the map, which is an atrocity for a game whose focus is 200mph racing through a city.
They don't have an arrow, but they do have that compass thing at the top of the screen. Of course, I found that it didn't work as well as an arrow, because again, you're taking your eyes off of the road of an incredibly fast paced race.

The one thing I haven't seen addressed is how the online racing works. I understand the freeburn and the challenges, but will there be an option for just pure online racing? Or will it rely on the cooperation of the people you're playing with to all agree to start a race?
Old 01-17-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Yeah, I hated the demo too, for all the reasons outlined above. Still, since I really wanted this to turn out great, I was ready to eat some crow - but instead of a great racing game, it sounds like a giant pain in the ass.
Old 01-17-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Surprised so many hate the open city. My favorite part of GTA was driving around looking for jumps. Now an entire racing game is built on this idea. An open city with races at every intersection and hidden jumps and things to smash through everywhere. Sounds like a dream game.

Sure you won't know the city immediately, but I got to the point in GTA where I had the entire map memorized. I'm sure the same thing will happen with Burnout. It is going to reward you the more you play it. If anything it seems like the designers wanted to get away from crap like restarting the same race over and over and over. You lose a race you move on to another one. I much prefer this idea.
Old 01-17-08, 11:01 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts
Here's the IGN video review:

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=850816&downloadURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/845/845877/burnout_paradise_vidreview_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>
Old 01-17-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Surprised so many hate the open city. My favorite part of GTA was driving around looking for jumps. Now an entire racing game is built on this idea. An open city with races at every intersection and hidden jumps and things to smash through everywhere. Sounds like a dream game.
That's not Burnout though. There's what, 5 or 6 games in the franchise now. The Burnout name comes with certain expectations, nearly all of which were thrown out the window for this game.
Old 01-17-08, 11:16 AM

Exactly. As someone who aced the single player portion of Revenge, restarting is essential. Especially considering the crazy ass "Burning Lap" time trials. Speaking of, I guess those are gone? I haven't seen them mentioned.

There was a Burning Lap time trial in the demo...if you could find it

Put me in the camp of people who loved all previous versions but really hated the demo. I am usually not one to rant about a game being bad because I am usually not that invested in a franchise, but I really liked the Burnout series and was really looking forward to having one on the PS3 so seeing what they did to the series bummed me out. I may pick it up for $20, but no way am I paying more then that. I agree with every negative point brought up in this thread.
Old 01-17-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkside
Actually, my least favorite thing to do in "open world" games such as GTA and Crackdown is the racing. And since the only thing to do in Paradise is race, well...

I like racing games, but I need closed circuits - otherwise, the openess of the world detracts from the white-knuckle focus that a good racing game like Burnout needs.
Old 01-17-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
And no Crash?!? That was by far my favorite part of all other Burnouts.

And if they wanted to change it to "open world" a la GTA then I should at least be able to hop out of my car once in a while and crack some heads.

No way am I getting this one at full price.
Old 01-17-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was hoping to pick this one up. However, I was not impressed with the demo, except for graphics. The mentioned negatives, as minor as they may seem, are dealbreakers for me. I don't want to have to pause a race to check the map. That's just stupid.
Old 01-17-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldblum
I was hoping to pick this one up. However, I was not impressed with the demo, except for graphics. The mentioned negatives, as minor as they may seem, are dealbreakers for me. I don't want to have to pause a race to check the map. That's just stupid.
Exactly the way I feel. I can't believe the guy in the review stated that he would stop the race several times to find where he was so he could continue the race. And not having the option to hit start and restart the race right then is retarded.

NFS:MW had an open world as well but they did it the right way. You could start a race anyway where at anytime or you could drive to the area and start it there. If the race ended and you lost, you could restart or continue on and drive back to the race start point if you really wanted to (but who the hell wants to do that?). The races are on a controlled path but still have shortcuts there if you want to use them. Granted they block out of going on other streets but even Midnight Club had a gigantic light for checkpoints and an arrow in the sky pointing the way to go and you could still use any street you wanted.

Hell, even NFS:MW has GPs where you can designate a point on the map you want to go to and it would give you the arrow in the sky to get you there but you could still take any path you want.

I wonder if they could patch this for Burnout: Paradise if people squeal a lot. Or would that be too indepth to patch.

This really sucks as I was looking forward to this game (especially since it supports my new 360 Force Feedback Wheel) and I have owned every Burnout since the first one (even the shitty DS version )

Crap.
Old 01-17-08, 08:34 PM

Was really looking foreword to this game and thought the demo was ok. After reading what the full game is like I might pass on this. I will wait a few weeks and see what others think about the changes. Why did they have to change the game so much?
Old 01-17-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have Xbox Live so I can't even try the demo. I was looking forward to this game but from everything I have read I will be skipping it now. I am regretting my 360 purchase more and more. At least I can look forward to having Yoda in SC3
Old 01-17-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
I don't have Xbox Live so I can't even try the demo. I was looking forward to this game but from everything I have read I will be skipping it now. I am regretting my 360 purchase more and more. At least I can look forward to having Yoda in SC3
Out of sheer curiosity and boredom I decided to see what you have thought about the various 360 games you've played so I searched a bit. It seems the games you've played, and for the most part have disliked, are available on both the 360 and PS3. I hate to say it but to me you didn't choose the wrong system...it just seems you don't like the games out there.

But back to the Burnout talk....
Having to pause during a race sucks but as someone who has played a number of free roaming and racing games....I know that after some time with the game you'll learn your way around. A casual player will certainly be more annoyed with this aspect of the game but hardcore fans will eventually learn where all the roads, jumps and shortcuts are.

I still agree that not being able to restart a race from the pause menu is insanely stupid on the part of the developer. I understand they really wanted an open world you could explore but in the end it's just a game and a game should not be stressful and annoying. Just suck it up and realize there are some things that should be standard in racing games. I applaud creativity but obviously this time it backfired.
Old 01-18-08, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Out of sheer curiosity and boredom I decided to see what you have thought about the various 360 games you've played so I searched a bit. It seems the games you've played, and for the most part have disliked, are available on both the 360 and PS3. I hate to say it but to me you didn't choose the wrong system...it just seems you don't like the games out there.
Insert lame pwnd pic here.
Old 01-18-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
The races are on a controlled path but still have shortcuts there if you want to use them. Granted they block out of going on other streets but even Midnight Club had a gigantic light for checkpoints and an arrow in the sky pointing the way to go and you could still use any street you wanted.
I wasn't able to get into Most Wanted, but I really did like how the "open city" became a "track" when a race started, with typical barricades and such, to keep you on the right path.

I was also a big Midnight Club guy, but I never ever felt lost in that city, like I did in Paradise. I think it's because the graphics were simpler, the camera was much farther back, and you had a giant arrow telling you the direction. Even still, I had to retry races multiple times to figure out the best routes to take in this game too, and I really enjoyed playing this game, so I'm holding out hope for Paradise. I think the game, even with all the gripes aside, will still prove to be fun.

Just thinking about it, I'm ready for the next Midnight Club game. Burnout was easily the best racer of the last gen, but I would argue that MC had better route designs. Plus the capture the flag mode was crazy fun.
Old 01-18-08, 10:41 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like the demo until I started playing it online with others. Now THAT was fun.
Old 01-18-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Oh I don't disagree and I also agree it has nothing to do with the system. I only bought the 360 since I got it for $185 and have never even considered buying a PS3. After months of having a gamefly account I finally canceled it since I didn't find a game I like enough to warrant purchasing it. I don't have the same problem on PC, but the prices are lower so maybe so are my expectations. I find for the most part the things people are raving about these days are the things that don't impress me or things I don't enjoy in games.

I didn't use to feel this way about console games either. I just haven't enjoyed the console games like I used to. I actually used to run a game store that closed shortly before the PS2 launch. My days consisted of playing games pretty much all day and playing any game I wanted since we had every game available to try. I never had a problem getting hooked on a game and playing a game for hours. Now I fire one up and I am bored 5 minutes into it.

Burnout was one of those games I have always loved and it is just disappointing to read about it going the way where I truly have no interest in it.
Old 01-18-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
Oh I don't disagree and I also agree it has nothing to do with the system. I only bought the 360 since I got it for $185 and have never even considered buying a PS3. After months of having a gamefly account I finally canceled it since I didn't find a game I like enough to warrant purchasing it. I don't have the same problem on PC, but the prices are lower so maybe so are my expectations. I find for the most part the things people are raving about these days are the things that don't impress me or things I don't enjoy in games.

I didn't use to feel this way about console games either. I just haven't enjoyed the console games like I used to. I actually used to run a game store that closed shortly before the PS2 launch. My days consisted of playing games pretty much all day and playing any game I wanted since we had every game available to try. I never had a problem getting hooked on a game and playing a game for hours. Now I fire one up and I am bored 5 minutes into it.

Burnout was one of those games I have always loved and it is just disappointing to read about it going the way where I truly have no interest in it.
It isn't often two people on a message board can be honest or blunt and still have it turn out so civil. Glad we could both vent without getting out of control....or posting that pwnd pic.

With the increased game price I too find it damn near impossible to buy a game at full price....yet I buy stuff like GHII, GHIII and Rock Band which are far more expensive. My wife complains about the GameFly charge each month but a 25.00 rental plan each month makes more sense to me than buying a full price game and hating it. With previous systems I would own stacks of game but now I own maybe 13 games between the Wii and 360. I've played 200 games now on the 360 and I own most of that to GameFly.
Old 01-19-08, 01:41 PM

I got the Paid and Displayed achievement, the one that says visit burnout.ea.com to find out more!!!

You get it by finding all the "car parks" which are parking garages. There are 11 total.

Let it be known forever that I am the one who discovered it FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!1

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/p...g=ssmaster69er
Old 01-19-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Um, good for you!

But how's the final game? Is it as big a pain in the ass as the demo led us to believe? Does it matter that you can't restart a race or that it's hard to judge the path of a course you're racing on? Does the "single open world" get monotonous and is there truly an event to play at every intersection?
Old 01-19-08, 02:57 PM

no the game is awesome. the way i look at it is if i lose a race, i just start a race at another intersection, ill get back to that other race eventually. I clocked in over 13 hours so far and I am not bored one bit. Almost every intersection has a traffic light and all the intersections with traffic lights have an event.
Old 01-19-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by vwbeetlvr
I got the Paid and Displayed achievement, the one that says visit burnout.ea.com to find out more!!!

You get it by finding all the "car parks" which are parking garages. There are 11 total.

Yeah, um, way to beat out the competition! Oh that's right, no one else has access to the game yet.
Old 01-19-08, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, um, way to beat out the competition! Oh that's right, no one else has access to the game yet.
To be fair, there are a bunch of Best Buys (and other stores) that have been selling this since the 17th. But yeah, still not a lot of competition.
Old 01-19-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by vwbeetlvr

Yeah, I got that last night as well...maybe I"M the FIRST!?!?!? who cares?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.