Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Burnout Paradise

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta agree, darkside! Have you noticed more details on some buildings, and that the route to the new island has new "under construction" signage on the fences around it? It looks like they're building a mall there as well. Have you heard the 8 o'clock pm bell downtown, and the 8 am rooster crow?
Old 09-21-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Love the Bike pack. Some of the burning routes are very cool since they have added checkpoints. I've already finished Road Rules on daytime and about half the burning routes. I still have a lot to do online and that will probably be next up. The crashes may not be as spectacular, but this pack was added for more racing and not for more crashing.

This has been my game of the year all year and it just keeps getting better. Bring on the island.
I bought this game last night ($12.99!) and it downloaded that patch right off the bat. However, since its my first time playing, I cant find a bike. Do I have to earn them somehow or what?
Old 09-21-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
I bought this game last night ($12.99!) and it downloaded that patch right off the bat. However, since its my first time playing, I cant find a bike. Do I have to earn them somehow or what?
You download it off the Marketplace. Don't worry, it's free.
Old 09-21-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah the patch you downloaded was probably the cagney update.
Old 09-21-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Check and see if you have another update. The PS3 version I believe is 1.4 with the bike pack.

I've missed the rooster and bell. I'll have to turn up the in games sounds a bit to catch them. I also love the detail of seeing the island and bridge under construction. I'm assuming DJ atomica has some updated commentary as well. I usually play with a podcast or music on and the game sounds lower and miss it.
Old 09-21-08, 04:48 PM

Nah guys I bought the GAME, Burnout Paradise itself for $13, not the patch, that was free.

Yea it said 1.4 but I have to listen for a rooster and bell to get a bike? I have no idea what Im doing in the game and have only won 1 takedown event total. So Im new. I will add I HATE the controls and how gas is R2. Fucking stupid.
Old 09-21-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nah guys I bought the GAME, Burnout Paradise itself for $13, not the patch, that was free.

Yea it said 1.4 but I have to listen for a rooster and bell to get a bike? I have no idea what Im doing in the game and have only won 1 takedown event total. So Im new. I will add I HATE the controls and how gas is R2. Fucking stupid.
Two bike should be in your garage when you pick your vehicles at the beginning, if they're not, you have to go to whatever PlayStation does for DLC and find it.
Old 09-21-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Two bike should be in your garage when you pick your vehicles at the beginning, if they're not, you have to go to whatever PlayStation does for DLC and find it.
The Playstation auto updates when you put in the disc. As long as you are online when you pop in the disc it will update. 1.4 is the bike pack version so I'm not sure why they aren't there, but it may be because he is just starting. It may require you to advance past the beginner license (which happens pretty quickly) before the bikes are available.
Old 09-21-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ravenous...

You REALLY missed the point of my post. I mentioned that you can hear a rooster and a bell at those times of day because Paradise runs on a 12 hour clock in terms of challenges. When the bell tolls, it's 8 pm and Midnight Run challenges are available for the bikes. The rooster crows at 8 am and Burning Route challenges are available. I was mentioning this because each time around Criterion sneaks a little bit more in here and there. For instance, before this patch, the camera that rolls when your vehicle is idle was black and white, and now it's color.
Old 09-21-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did you find the game for $13?
Old 09-22-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also got it for 13 from Gamefly
Old 09-22-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
The Playstation auto updates when you put in the disc. As long as you are online when you pop in the disc it will update. 1.4 is the bike pack version so I'm not sure why they aren't there, but it may be because he is just starting. It may require you to advance past the beginner license (which happens pretty quickly) before the bikes are available.
On the 360 it downloaded a quick auto-update, but I still had to download a 400+ MB file from the Marketplace to get the bikes.
Old 09-22-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
On the 360 it downloaded a quick auto-update, but I still had to download a 400+ MB file from the Marketplace to get the bikes.
Ah, I see. The PS3 version has it all in the update so that is a bit easier.

I finished the bike license today. You get one new bike for 10 day and 10 night burning routes and the last bike for the 100% of routes and road rules.
The last bike if flat out awesome. I'm not sure if I should describe it, but you probably have an idea of its speed and what not. The way you skin it is the best yet. I still have to finish the online stuff to get my last three achievements and will work on that later today.
Old 09-22-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

darkside...

I finished mine too! I like the last bike as well - I was tearin' up the roads in the mountains with it! Too bad we're not on the same platform or I'd race ya!
Old 09-22-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
darkside...

I finished mine too! I like the last bike as well - I was tearin' up the roads in the mountains with it! Too bad we're not on the same platform or I'd race ya!
Have you tried all the different countries paint jobs? USA is awesome, but some of the other ones are cool as well. I hope they add a couple of more bikes down the road. A dirt bike and chopper would be nice for cruising around.
Old 09-25-08, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, good news and bad news PS3 owners. The trophy patch is live in the UK and should be out here sometime soon. The bad news is that, even though Criterion always promised the trophies would be retroactive, they aren't. Here's the post from their forums: http://www.criteriongames.com/forum/...hp?f=12&t=8178

This wouldn't bother me so much if they had just said something before now. I'll admit, I'm a trophy whore, and I wouldn't have wasted all the time that I did on the game, especially the new bike stuff, if I had known I would have to do it again for trophies. This would have been my first, and probably only, platinum trophy. I'm not the kind of person who usually completes everything in a game and I generally don't replay a game once I finish it, so I'm not sure if I'll slog through everything again.
Old 09-25-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was also the only platinum trophy I could have ever received since I rarely complete everything. I have 101% on the cars and bikes and have 120 hours of time on my save.
Still I may just do as they suggested and back up my old save and play trough again to get some of the trophies. Might be fun, but I don't see myself redoing all of the objectives again. The 40X stunt run took me 3 hours to pull off.

Okay looking at the tropy list this seems to be much easier than the objectives in the game. You can get a platinum without getting 101% again and stuff like the 40X stunt run and millionaires club is gone. I'm probably going to do this. I love playing this game and this trophy run doesn't look too bad. The painful one is the bikes since I just did that, but getting 100% license was pretty easy.

Last edited by darkside; 09-25-08 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I also suggest anyone wanting to try for their platinum to get a Playstation Eye and hold on to your receipt. Get your one mugshot that you need for a trophy and then return it.
Old 09-25-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Check Wal-Mart. I bought the Eye of Judgment there for $29.99. Well worth it for the camera and the game.
Old 09-25-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by collven
I also suggest anyone wanting to try for their platinum to get a Playstation Eye and hold on to your receipt. Get your one mugshot that you need for a trophy and then return it.
You can also use any other kind of USB webcam.

And as for the non-retroactive trophies... oof.
Old 09-25-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only issues I have with non retroactive was Criterion saying over and over they would be. Then on top of it launching the Bike pack without trophies so we have to go and get all that again as well.

Not the end of the world. I love the game and keep playing it so I have no major issue running through it for a few weeks to get all the trophies and then switching back to my original game save. At least they made the trophies easier than in game challenges.
Old 09-28-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I got 100% on the trophies last night. It took a grand total of 19 hours to get all of them including the Cagney and Bike trophies. In case anyone decides to try it I think I came up with a decent strategy for saving time.

On your second play through save all the Burning Routes until you get the A license. Those are the easiest races in the game with no other cars slamming you while racing. I had the hardest time going from B to A because the cars you have at that time are really crap. I got so used to driving the Hawker all the time I had a tough time driving the earlier stuff. Once I got to A though I hit the different Burning Routes and a few Marked Man and Road Rages in the van and a couple of the easier straight shot races and stunt runs and I had my Burnout License in no time.

Also, try to play your online trophies for one long session you host. You will have some easy ones like a regular Freeburn Challenge, but you all have to get 10 fairly tough timed challenges to get the Cagney Gold. There is also a tough one that requires you to get all 8 cars into Wildcat Stadium and if you have a couple of jokers playing you may have a hard time. If needed kick people till you get guys willing to help you out.
You also need a friend on your PSN list playing to send a play request and of course a USB camera to send one mugshot.

The Bikes are probably the easiest overall. The only tough one is you have to finish all the burning routes, but again this is much easier since it is just you against the road and they give you plenty of time.

A very easy 100% and probably the only Platinum I get since I rarely finish games.
Old 09-28-08, 12:18 PM

I just got this game and am 11% done and I was wondering a few things.

Whats the point of trophies?

Once I beat an event, is it no longer at that light? Does a new event take its place? If its still there, does it not count if I replay it?
Old 09-28-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't count if you replay it when you go to it on the map it will have a checkmark. But when you move up to the next license all of the events open up again.
Old 09-28-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Okay, why aren't the Bogart/Cagney updates available anymore? And if the bike update incorporated those into it, then why didn't they get written over on my HD?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.