i like their 2k series basketball
Old 01-03-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What?!? Pixy hates something?
Old 01-03-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would guess that the Sega of old died with the Dreamcast.
How many people could really still be around from those days?
Old 01-03-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by metalhead212
I heart desk.
I heart carpet.
Old 01-03-08, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ktown
I do too, but they sold that off to Take2 years ago.
Old 01-04-08, 12:26 AM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by ktown
I think you mean that you "heart" their 2k series basketball.
Old 01-04-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Tell Sega to give us Shenmue III and i'll love them till the day I die.
Old 01-04-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sega's had some OK games, but I definitely don't blind buy their stuff. Some last gen well rated titles were Monkey Ball, and Yakuza. I think MB has been run into the ground a bit although some people do like the wii version.
Old 01-04-08, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Sonic never really made the leap to 3d, and the 2d version didn't really have the depth of Mario's 2d offerings, so I can see why the Sonic series deteriorated like that.
I honestly don't think Sonic or Mario made a great leap to 3D. "Sonic Adventure" lacked speed and didn't have enough Sonic in it (why do I *need* to play as 85 of Sonics friends?). Mario 64 has Mario punching, kicking and buttstomping various critters...why not just rename it "Final Fight 64: Mario Edition".

As for SEGA post millennium...I think the only game I really enjoyed was "Outrun 2" (and C2C).
Old 01-04-08, 03:02 AM
Suspended

Still waiting for a proper sequel to Sword of Vermillion
Old 01-04-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
I honestly don't think Sonic or Mario made a great leap to 3D. "Sonic Adventure" lacked speed and didn't have enough Sonic in it (why do I *need* to play as 85 of Sonics friends?). Mario 64 has Mario punching, kicking and buttstomping various critters...why not just rename it "Final Fight 64: Mario Edition".

As for SEGA post millennium...I think the only game I really enjoyed was "Outrun 2" (and C2C).
I never played Mario Sunshine, but Galaxy is amazing. Probably the best I've seen so far with the transition from 2D to 3D platforming. It still feels like a platformer (jumping at the right time, smashing enemies, etc). I'm not a huge fan of Mario 64 either.
Old 01-04-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the first Sonic Adventure game was really great. It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was a decent transition to 3d for the hedgehog. The Dreamcast being the first console with enough power to make 3d not look like shit, some of the levels were breathtaking at the time. And the speed was there too.

I wonder if it still holds up?
Old 01-07-08, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sega made the Saturn... and the Saturn has Radiant Silvergun and Soukyugurentai and a bajillion other shooters. Therefore, you can't hate them... ever.
Old 01-07-08, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I thought the first Sonic Adventure game was really great. It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was a decent transition to 3d for the hedgehog. The Dreamcast being the first console with enough power to make 3d not look like shit, some of the levels were breathtaking at the time. And the speed was there too.
I totally enjoyed Sonic Adventure. Although I no longer own a Dreamcast, I own Sonic Adventure DX (even though the port is flawed, I still play every now and again). There are certain memories attached to this game.

For starters, I had completely abandoned Sega after the 32X debacle and had bypassed the Saturn... so when the Dreamcast was announced, I scoffed at it initially. Then, a friend of mine who owned an independent video game store got an import Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure and basically forced me to sit and play the game.

"You don't understand, Pete. Play the game. See the graphics. Hear the sound, man. This is next-generation stuff. Just try it."

It took me about 10 minutes to get into the game, mainly because everything was in Japanese and I didn't have any idea of what to do. Once I started playing in Stage 1, though... WOW. The textures were far, far better than anything I had seen before on a console. The game was FAST... like Sonic was supposed to be. There were genuine OMG moments in the game, too... like the self-propelled run over the piers as a killer whale charges after you... or when running on a rollercoaster-like track in Windy Valley.

I began working as a store manager for FuncoLand that same year, and when we got our demo DC unit, it came with a full version of Sonic Adventure. I remember playing after closing some nights, trying to beat the game and just having a blast.

I bought my Dreamcast for Sonic Adventure... although I wound up buying a ton of other games, too. NFL Blitz 2000, Hydro Thunder, Ready 2 Rumble, NFL 2K, and Soul Calibur. I trusted in Sega again, only to be bitten in the ass again in early 2001 when Sega pulled the plug.

Sonic Adventure was great, in my opinion... but the sequel had "SUCK" written all over it. Those treasure hunts with Knuckles were a total failure. Boo.