Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread, 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got quite a bit of the DLC so far as well, and got the 120GB HDD for XMas, mainly due to anticipation of tons of RB DLC. I mean, it's two months in and I've got almost a gig of DLC. The original 20 gig drive wouldn't last me with the XBLA stuff coming out, other DLC and saves taking up space.

I'm going to reload all of the RB DLC onto the old 20 gigger as well, so that I can just bring that over when we have club meetings and whatnot, and won't have to always redownload everything (we don't always have the same person bringing in the equipment).
Old 01-18-08, 09:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The more I think about this, the more possibilities I see. Suppose a band goes on tour and wants some extra publicity? Rock Band DLC. Want to promote your greatest hits album? DLC. Charity DLC. The list goes on.
Old 01-18-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
All sounds good but if I'm investing into hundreds of songs I want them to address common game complaints like World Tour online and creating my own super group instead of generic rockers in solo mode. Hopefully enhancing the experience hasn't fallen by the wayside in light of the mountains of dough they are making on DLC.
Old 01-18-08, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
All sounds good but if I'm investing into hundreds of songs I want them to address common game complaints like World Tour online and creating my own super group instead of generic rockers in solo mode. Hopefully enhancing the experience hasn't fallen by the wayside in light of the mountains of dough they are making on DLC.
Agreed. Those are probably my 2 main gripes as well -BWT online and generic band members.
Old 01-18-08, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Does your score from downloaded songs not add to your career score?
Old 01-18-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Does your score from downloaded songs not add to your career score?
Nope. This keeps it fair for everyone.
Old 01-18-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It should if you are playing them in career mode. I feel that purchasers of additional content should be rewarded this way.
Old 01-18-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
All sounds pretty good to me. I've probably purchased 75% of the DLC so far, and will more than likely get a good chunk of what's coming out in the next year, so I'll probably have well over $100 in DLC alone invested in this game by year's end. I really hope they figure out a way to migrate that DLC over to a Rock Band 2.
I'm the same here, as I've bought all the DLC but one or two of the packs, so the biggest issue for me with this game by far is going to be porting the DLC.

I'd almost rather they adopted the MMORPG-style for releasing expansions. Standardize the base game, create a constant save/character set, and then have the expansions all add on to the base, rather than pseudo-replace it like it does Guitar Hero. Band World Tour MMO-style seems like the next logical progression for this game, anyway...

I'd see it being kind of like the Sims expansions, where you'd create your main guy, but as you added the expansions you'd get the songs, outfits, stages, etc added to the experience. I don't want to have to create a new guy for Rock Band 2.
Old 01-18-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That article gave me teh
I blew my load when I read they are talking to Tool. I need a nap.
Old 01-18-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVDChris
It should if you are playing them in career mode. I feel that purchasers of additional content should be rewarded this way.
Actually I wouldn't mind if they kept it as two different career scores, one with the DLC songs and one without.
Old 01-18-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I blew my load when I read they are talking to Tool. I need a nap.
I heard some Tool the other day and Rock Band/GH was the first thing that came to mind.
Old 01-18-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I want like a Rock Band Career mode where you meet in college, form a band, the drummer gets pissed and leaves because he's not getting enough credit for the band's success, the bass guitarist ODs on heroine, you replace them from a free agent audition list/scouting tour (maybe a reality TV show) and then the fans criticize you for selling out to the mainstream -- at which point you quit and start a solo acoustic career.
Old 01-18-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpatri
I want like a Rock Band Career mode where you meet in college, form a band, the drummer gets pissed and leaves because he's not getting enough credit for the band's success, the bass guitarist ODs on heroine, you replace them from a free agent audition list/scouting tour (maybe a reality TV show) and then the fans criticize you for selling out to the mainstream -- at which point you quit and start a solo acoustic career.
Sounds like Heroin Hero.
Old 01-18-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Sounds like Heroin Hero.
I didn't say you were chasing the dragon. Just your bass player. Perhaps you just dabble a little bit. That could be one of the career choices. Let's merge Rock Band with the MLB Power Pros career mode.

Last edited by jdpatri; 01-18-08 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 741 Likes on 543 Posts
I heard some Tool the other day and Rock Band/GH was the first thing that came to mind.
Then they really need a double kick pedal for the kit.
Old 01-18-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDChris
"Career Score" needs to be standardized. It wouldn't be fair nor would it make sense to compare one person's career score of 45 songs to another's career of 80 songs. I don't play Rock Band all that much, but aren't there separate scoreboards for career score and campaign score that tallies all the songs ever played in your career (like they have in guitar hero series)?

Last edited by rabbit77; 01-18-08 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The more I think about this, the more possibilities I see. Suppose a band goes on tour and wants some extra publicity? Rock Band DLC. Want to promote your greatest hits album? DLC. Charity DLC. The list goes on.
For sure...in fact, I'm still surprised we never got some Dewey Cox DLC. I would have downloaded 'Walk Hard' for Rock Band for sure!
Old 01-18-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rabbit77
"Career Score" needs to be standardized. It wouldn't be fair nor would it make sense to compare one person's career score of 45 songs to another's career of 80 songs. I don't play Rock Band all that much, but aren't there separate scoreboards for career score and campaign score that tallies all the songs ever played in your career (like they have in guitar hero series)?
There are leaderboards for:
- Solo Career (overall) (by instrument)
- Solo Career (indv. song) (by instrument)
- World Tour (overall) (by band)
- World Tour (indv song) (by band)
- Online modes
Old 01-18-08, 09:07 PM
Suspended

lol, well, I've just officially sung my last song. I just can't do it I guess. I've tried messing with the mic sensitivity, used both the mic that came with it and the headset, tried singing in many different volumes, and I can't even get past a couple songs on the first tier of hard. Medium isn't much better, and easy is just stupid since you can basically just talk and do good on the songs.

I guess I just don't understand the way the arrows and colors and everything work - I'll be singing a line, and everything shows up in green as though I'm hitting it, but I'll get a "Weak." 75% of the time I even get "weak" on spoken lines/words - like in Gimme Three Steps, at the beginning when you yell "Wooo!," I'll give a "wooo!" and get a "weak." Every. Single. Time. I restarted that song 15x to try different things...same result.

Just doesn't make any sense to me, I'm probably missing some really obvious part of it, but whatever. It's driving me nuts, and when games stop being fun, I quit. I'll stick with guitar and drums.

Last edited by aktick; 01-18-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Stick to the shower buddy!

j/k

This may sound obvious, but anyway...The arrow is the pitch, you move the arrow up and down with your voice as the green/yellow lines with the lyrics scroll across the screen. So you want to align the arrow with your voice and keep the arrow scrolling inside the green bar. As for spoken words all you have to do is speak the words as they cross the bottom and hold the ones that are drawn out.
Old 01-18-08, 10:25 PM
Suspended

Also...

When I go to check the leaderboards for my solo careers, it gives me the option to see my bass solo career, which of course I don't have any score for because you can't do a career with a bass. But how are people on that leaderboard?
Old 01-19-08, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Stick to the shower buddy!

j/k

This may sound obvious, but anyway...The arrow is the pitch, you move the arrow up and down with your voice as the green/yellow lines with the lyrics scroll across the screen. So you want to align the arrow with your voice and keep the arrow scrolling inside the green bar. As for spoken words all you have to do is speak the words as they cross the bottom and hold the ones that are drawn out.
Sadly, I know. Part of the problem is probably that I'm so tone deaf when attempting to sing that half the time when I think I'm moving my voice higher, the arrow goes down.

I'm most annoyed about not being able to hit half of the spoken notes...that takes real skill to mess those up.

Actually on long sustained notes, I can do good - anything longer than a second or so - but when there's a lot of even halfway quick words/notes, I'm terrible. It seems my pitch always starts way too high or low, and by the time I get it corrected the words are past.
Old 01-19-08, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Also...

When I go to check the leaderboards for my solo careers, it gives me the option to see my bass solo career, which of course I don't have any score for because you can't do a career with a bass. But how are people on that leaderboard?
It must be from when you play bass in BWT or quickplay modes...but I didn't think they kept individual instrument scores for those?
Old 01-21-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Participated in my first Rock Band Competition last night. We got 4th place out of about 35 bands, but still feel robbed. The judging was based solely on performance and not technical merit, so we went nuts. We did Enter Sandman. I was all over the stage, not even looking at the screen (dumbed vox down to hard so I could hit everything without looking). My guitarist did a matrix bend during the solo, and then ran into the crowd for the outro. The crowd was completely blowing up for us! After we got off stage, there were tons of people that wanted to shake our hands and tell us how awesome we were, and there were even some chicks who took a picture with our drummer. We were playing Hard vox (due to limitations of the venue. It was too loud to get the pitch correct with so much other stuff going on), Hard drums, and expert guitar and bass. We ended up scoring a 26/30 from the judges, which put us at the top. But we were only the 6th band to go up.

Then a few songs later, this group of two girls in short skirts with fairy wings come up and do Highway Star on all Medium and Hard. For the tambourine hits, she was hitting the mic against her ass. They ended up getting a 28/30 because the judges were all from the morning radio show. They also ended up winning the competition, which had a grand prize of being opening act for Video Games Live at Hard Rock on Thursday and playing in front of a ton of people. All three bands that won had females in them, which I thought was pretty biased.

When they were giving out the prizes, most of the crowd booed the first place band, and they did an encore where everyone was screaming for them to bump everything up to Expert. They did, and failed "When You Were Young" twice within 11%! They scuttled off stage, and we jumped back up there and did Hand That Feeds for the small crowd that was left. I know in the hearts of the people that were there (non-judges), we tore that shit down. But because I don't have breasts, we'll never win a competition judged by fucking morning radio DJs.

A student of mine got our whole song on his cell phone, so hopefully I can get it from him and put it up on YouTube at some point.
Old 01-21-08, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Playing Rock Band for a crowd seems... strange.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.