Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Crikey! The Dinosaur Hunter! Turok. Offical.

Old 12-05-07, 03:42 PM

Crikey! The Dinosaur Hunter! Turok. Offical.

I asked for permission first before I made this so everything is nice and "VGT legal" .

Turok started its run as a comic book series in 1954. The comic series during that time, and the games that have been released thus far share nothing more than the name. Eventually the comic was picked up by a different company and made into what we know Turok to be today. Later down the road Acclaim purchased the company Valiant who owned the rights to Turok.

To date six (6) Turok games have been made.

1) Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Released in 1997 for the Nintendo 64.

The game revolves around the character Tal' Set, a time traveling warrior, referred to in the game as "Turok". The game itself takes place in "The Lost Land", a primitive world ruled by dinosaurs and other strange creatures. He is charged with saving the world from the tyranny of "The Campaigner" who is trying to gain control of a weapon called the "Chronoscepter" which if wielded correctly will allow him mastery over time.

2) Turok: Battle of the Bionosaurs. Released in 1997 for the Gameboy Color.

A side scrolling shooter that revolves around the continued battle between "Turok" and the evil "Campaigner". It enjoyed a moderate success, but ultimately failed to make a mark.

3) Turok 2: Seeds of Evil. Released in 1998 for the Nintendo 64.

A direct sequel to 1997's Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. This time a new character by the name of Joshua Fireseed dons the title "Turok". In the game he is summoned by a woman named Adon who explains that he has been brought to "The Lost Land" by a group of elders to defeat the alien known as Primagen who was sealed in the wreckage of his space craft after his first attempt at taking over "The Lost Land".

4) Turok: Rage Wars. Released in 1999 for the Nintendo 64.

Strictly a death match game, Rage Wars was released as a way for the Nintendo 64 to compete with games such as Quake 3 Arena, and Unreal Tournament. The game had a single player mode, but it required the player to play death matches against the A.I. until making it to a final boss for each level.

5) Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion. Released in 2000 for the Nintendo 64 and Gameboy Color.

Shadow of Oblivion takes place where Seeds of Evil had left off. In this game Oblivion, a monstrous cosmic entity, is on a rampage invading the bodies of unsuspecting victims and devouring them from the inside out. It is discovered that for Oblivion to retake the power it once had it must end the Turok line.

In the game Joshua Fireseed, his sister Danielle, and his brother Joseph are attacked in their home by creatures serving Oblivion. Joshua sacrifices himself in order to save his siblings by blowing himself and the minions up with a bomb. With the help of Adon they are rescued and charged with one of them becoming the new Turok. The player has the choice of Joseph or Danielle. They each have their own unique abilities. Once the the player chooses who they will play as the story unfolds. They are stuck playing as one character, but it is implied that both Danielle and Joseph go on the missions together.

6) Turok: Evolution. Released in 2002 for the Game Cube, Gameboy Advance, Playstation 2, and the Xbox.

The game again focuses on the Native American Tal' Set. Apparently this is a prequel of sorts as within the game it makes no reference to Turok: Dinosaur Hunter though the two games share the same main character. The game revolves around a feud between a man named Tobias Bruckner and Tal' Sets tribe. As Bruckner is fighting with the tribe he falls off a cliff and through the portal that brings him to "The Lost Land". He soon sides with The Sleg who are set on enslaving the humans of "The Lost Land".

In the game Tal' Set is informed that he is the legendary "Son of Stone" a.k.a. Turok. He is charged with defeating the Sleg and in the process defeats his tribes enemy. By the end of the game Tal' Set accepts his title and becomes the "Son of Stone".

The latest installment in the Turok franchise has been slated for a February release in 2008 (2/5/2008) on both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles. Based off the Unreal engine, the mechanics of the game will run like a standard first person shooter. What differentiates this from other FPS is the focus on survival within an ever changing and dangerous natural environment.

In this game Turok must battle against the evil Kane and his army who threaten the peace and safety of "The Lost Land". The most defined aspect of the game comes in the form of the dinosaurs. The dinosaurs have been described as a neutral presence within the game that roam about either helping or hindering your progress through the game. They can be used as a tool to help distract enemies or even kill them. The best part about the behavior of the dinosaurs is that it is unpredictable. Just as soon as they attack your enemies they can turn around and attack you and your allies.

The game also incorporates a new stealth mechanic that will allow the player the option to move through the environment unnoticed by enemies and make swift silent kills with either a knife or bow John Rambo style.

As for now the only online extras that have been confirmed in the game is team death match. Deathmatch and a new game type called Team Dinosaur Hunting are expected to be confirmed very soon. Also it is important to note that within the death match games dinosaurs will also be spawning which not only forces to player to watch his back against other players, but dinosaurs as well as they will not hesitate to attack if agitated.

Last edited by metalhead212; 12-05-07 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 03:43 PM

****Held in case I need more room!****
Old 12-05-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just want to correct one thing. There has only been one Turok game and it wasn't followed by a number.

I have high hopes that the new Turok becomes the Turok 2 I never got.
Old 12-05-07, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I just want to correct one thing. There has only been one Turok game and it wasn't followed by a number.

I have high hopes that the new Turok becomes the Turok 2 I never got.
haha, AMEN!
Old 12-05-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought Turok had a giant mohawk!

Guess I was wrong.
Old 12-05-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love Offical threads!

I always thought the first Turok was the best as well...but it got surpassed quite quickly. This new one looks like Gears of Dinosaurs, and could be fun. Team Dino Hunting sounds like great fun. Hope it's executed well.
Old 12-05-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks sweet.
Old 12-06-07, 08:25 AM

I am surprised we haven't heard more about the game as it is almost the middle of December and the game comes out right at the start of February.
Old 12-06-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by metalhead212
I am surprised we haven't heard more about the game as it is almost the middle of December and the game comes out right at the start of February.
There's been a ton of in game footage at GameTrailers.

If the reviews are decent, I'm buying.
Old 12-06-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a video on Xbox Live. It looks pretty awesome, definitely a game I'll keep an eye out on.
Old 12-06-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played Turok 2 almost as much as I played GoldenEye... I got the memory expansion pack on the same day. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Old 12-06-07, 10:39 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

There's a 360 demo out for Turok already in stores for preordering.
Old 12-06-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I played Turok 2 almost as much as I played GoldenEye... I got the memory expansion pack on the same day. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Memories. I loved the brain weapon or whatever it was called. Good times.
Old 12-06-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cerebral Bore
Old 12-07-07, 09:01 AM

Cerebral Bore
Which sadly has been confirmed to NOT be in the game.
Old 01-31-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody pick this up yet? I was at my Best Buy over lunch and noticed it's out already. I was tempted but I haven't even seen a single review yet. I noticed a demo was available on Live but haven't got a chance to try it.
Old 01-31-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Barth
Anybody pick this up yet? I was at my Best Buy over lunch and noticed it's out already. I was tempted but I haven't even seen a single review yet. I noticed a demo was available on Live but haven't got a chance to try it.
I think that's a fluke. It's not due out until next Tuesday.
Old 01-31-08, 02:29 PM

I tried the demo and didn't like it too much. Maybe it's just me, but I had a hard time getting around. I ended up walking in circles for a few minutes trying to find the correct path forward.

Here's some comments about the game over at PSU:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=136963

I think that's a fluke. It's not due out until next Tuesday.
It's not a fluke. A lot of people have gotten the game early. Just called my local Gamestop, and they're selling it today.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 01-31-08 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I tried the demo and didn't like it too much. Maybe it's just me, but I had a hard time getting around. I ended up walking in circles for a few minutes trying to find the correct path forward.

Here's some comments about the game over at PSU:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...read.id=136963
Wow. Doesn't sound to promising. I guess I'll give the demo a try tonight but it looks like it might be a rental at best. I figured this would be a big hit with the history it has.
Old 01-31-08, 04:53 PM

IGN gave it a 7.3

Doesn't sound very impressive.
Old 01-31-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cyberock
IGN gave it a 7.3

Doesn't sound very impressive.
Damn - you're still around!? What's happening?
Old 01-31-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't that Turok game where you could look down "your" blouse?
Old 01-31-08, 05:17 PM

Well I played the demo and I must say. If it isn't to late to fix they really need to repair what happens when you get charged by a raptor. When you get charged and they hit it it knocks you down every single time. When I played I got surrounded by two of them and one time and for two minutes straight it was nothing but me being knocked down then geting back up and being knocked back down instantly by the second and third raptors. I stopped playing after that and gave up.
Old 01-31-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by metalhead212
Well I played the demo and I must say. If it isn't to late to fix
it's out now, so yeah it's a tad late for a pre-release fix
Old 01-31-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Isn't that Turok game where you could look down "your" blouse?
That was the Jurassic Park FPS, Trespasser. It was the first game world to be completely influenced by physics.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.