Round 1: Fight! Soul Calibur 4

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
bestbuy has the limited edition for 69.99:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960

you can go for in-store pickup if they have it in stock near you...
Is that a deal? I thought that was the normal price?
Old 07-29-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
someone made Solid Snake and Raiden :

http://kotaku.com/5030235/metal-gear...soulcalibur-iv
Old 07-29-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mhg83
someone made Solid Snake and Raiden :

http://kotaku.com/5030235/metal-gear...soulcalibur-iv
Now we need Brian Peppers, Star Wars Kid, and Bat Boy!
Old 07-30-08, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Had to take a break.

From winning! j/k I was playing in training mode until a friend wanted to do some fighting so after some really good battles I had to call it quits for the night. However I'll be back on again in the morning.
Old 07-30-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does this game compare with DOA4?
Old 07-30-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
How does this game compare with DOA4?
From a fighting system standpoint, I think Soul Calibur is better in many regards. It's got a bit of a deeper fighting system, although it's got less counters than DOA4. But the AI isn't as cheap. There are times on DOA4 when I just might as well put down the controller, and let the CPU do it's thing. Which kinda sucks, because it will corner you, bounce you off the walls for 10 seconds, and you're done. SC doesn't do that. SC seems more methodical to me.

It's tough to compare the 2, because they're both good fighting systems, it just comes down to pref. I like what Namco has crafted over the past decade with this game much more than Tecmo with DOA, which has really evolved a lot. However, now that Itagaki is gone from team ninja and tecmo, you'll never see another DOA the same again - perhaps there will be a new fighter from another company involving Itagaki, perhaps Tecmo will try to take it in a different direction, or perhaps it just dies out.
Old 07-30-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Is that a deal? I thought that was the normal price?
Isn't retail for the LE 79.99?
Old 07-30-08, 11:10 PM

Zero, must have missed you on Live tonight. Hopefully soon!
Old 07-31-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really dig the game. Though I did unlock all the characters minus Darth Vader in only a few hours. Yoda and The Apprentice are the most unbalanced characters in the game. The Apprentice is ridiculously hard on Arcade. Story mode is easy. Even on "Hard" it's easy. Though the Arcade is cranked up a few notches. I made a pretty good Altair. I like how you can make up to 50 guys, though armor and clothes seems very limited. I couldn't play against anyone online. It couldn't find any matches. Is everyone playing Ranked or Player? Good game though.
Old 07-31-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are there unlockable outfits or do you start with all the clothing options?
Old 07-31-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I was able to play a few single-round matches through PSN. But they were mostly against people in Japan - they'd send me messages in Japanese....

As far as the matches they felt unbalanced - I would destroy them in one round, and the next round I would get destroyed - every match was very one-sided.
Old 07-31-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Are there unlockable outfits or do you start with all the clothing options?

There are quite a bit of clothing options that you have to buy. But, you seem to earn gold at a pretty good clip. I wish there were more artwork/videos to unlock though.

Overall, I'm having a good time with it. Story mode is a little shallow, but the Tower of Lost Souls fills in for it pretty well.
Old 07-31-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another thing about this game. When you start story mode, each character has a long neverending scroll of text. I mean, seriously, they couldn't just make an FMV for the background stories?

Things like that bother me. When a game is as huge and expansive as GTA IV, it makes Soul Calibur feel like a mini game.

I still like it and all. But it should be $30 and not $60.
Old 07-31-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
The "story-line" given for Vader in the story-mode is laughable, and is inline with something written by a 9 year old - actually, a Soul Calibur story starring Vader written by a 9-year old, would be way more awesome.
Okay, I'll bite. What is the story for Vader? Is it the same for Yoda on the 360? If not, what is Yoda's story?
Old 07-31-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Another thing about this game. When you start story mode, each character has a long neverending scroll of text. I mean, seriously, they couldn't just make an FMV for the background stories?
They're still doing that? Given how epic the storyline in this series tends to be, you'd think they would have added FMV sequences for this one.
Old 07-31-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
If not, what is Yoda's story?
Yoda was in the swamps of Degobah. He felt a small disturbance in the force. It grew stronger so eventually he left to investigate. That led to the fighting, I guess. Never thought anyone could make Lucas look like the Coen brothers, but they come close here.
Old 07-31-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn. That's weaker than Heihachi's storyline in the PS2 version of Soul Calibur II.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-31-08 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-31-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Finally, someone who doesn't just say I suck online I don't suck, I'm by no means great, but I don't suck. The game just does not work properly online. Almost everyone I have run into playing online has said the game sucks. I dunno if it's laggy or what but I doubt it, there's just something about it.

The single player, like I said, is throw-away useless. Some ascend/descend the tower mode to collect clothing which gets impossible at level 20, stopping your progress. I'm not talking hard to beat impossible, i'm talking impossible. There's some chick who auto blocks all attacks, you cannot grab her, and she gets health every time she blocks. Anyways, the game is kinda fun beating up a friend on the same console, that's about it. Oh, and you can create some funny looking fighters.

Like I said, you guys will love it since this is a SC4 forum and you're obviously fanboys...and god forbid fighting with fanboys I'm just posting my impressions after now, playing and destroying most of the game in 6hrs.
You should try floors 45 & 46 ...as for the 2nd bold...

Ring her ass out!!!!!

I myself am loving the game thus far. I just haven't had enough play time yet...hopefully this weekend I can grab a few hours on this.
Old 08-01-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Yoda was in the swamps of Degobah. He felt a small disturbance in the force. It grew stronger so eventually he left to investigate. That led to the fighting, I guess. Never thought anyone could make Lucas look like the Coen brothers, but they come close here.
Pretty much the same for Vader, but instead of Degobah, he's on some star destroyer. And when he wins he "gains power" - yeah, it's that dumb and plain.
Old 08-01-08, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Things like that bother me. When a game is as huge and expansive as GTA IV, it makes Soul Calibur feel like a mini game.

I still like it and all. But it should be $30 and not $60.
Yeah, it's especially bad when you consider that some DLC for SC4 is already up. Frankly, I think it's a bad PR move to release DLC this early. It just seems that this was left out of the game intentionally to get more money.

I understand that a game may have to be finalized about 2 months before it hits the shelves, and during that time they can create new content that can be released at around the same time as the game. However, from the perspective of the average gamer, it just feels wrong. It feels like you're paying for stuff that should have been included in the game. Even if was already finished, if they would just space it out and not release it for a few months, at least it wouldn't feel like it was left out intentionally (not to give them any ideas).

That's why I try not to pay $60 for a game that will have DLC. I don't want to spend more than $60 on the game itself.
Old 08-01-08, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, it's especially bad when you consider that some DLC for SC4 is already up. Frankly, I think it's a bad PR move to release DLC this early. It just seems that this was left out of the game intentionally to get more money.
I haven't had a chance to look...what's already up for DLC?

And to further discuss your point, I don't know if it's that bad of a PR move - you have to realize that the meat of the market, centered on "new & now" is going to pick this up, play it as much as they can, ditch it, and move on to the next new game (example - madden). Namco knows this, so they're providing DLC so those players get more immediate gratification. It's easier to get an "add-on sale" right away than it is, say, a month down the line when the initial purchase is all but forgotten. Especially with this type of game. However, that approach doesn't make sense for a game like Halo, where extra maps get people back into playing it again for a longer period of time than, say, a character DLC for a fighting game.
Old 08-01-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I see on the PS3 side there's DLC for less than 2 bucks with some outfits or something. Anyone know whether this is one of those "DLC-for-the-lazy" ones, where you can actually unlock this if you play enough, or is this exclusive content.

edit: I guess it is something like 9 new accessories/items from past soul calibur games. You can also buy new soundtracks for the game for like 15 bucks, which seems pretty high.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-01-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing I like about this game that I haven't seen any other game do, is that certain amount of achievements unlock more equipment. Like 10, 15, 20, etc.

I played a little online. Only have 1 win so far. Since then I've upped my character pretty well. There's some people that have upped their character so much they have nearly two full life bars. I've been able to do that to a certain extent.

Anyone know a good website for the create a characters? There was some good pics in here and I'd like to see how they did them. I made a pretty good Altair from Assassin's Creed and now he's leveled up and can actually fight.

I've heard (but probably not true) that someone played as Darth Vader by selecting Random. That's such a smack in the face. Hopefully, they'll give us some real DLC like Darth Maul or Luke Skywalker.
Old 08-01-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got this in the mail today, I'll see some of you folks online later
Old 08-02-08, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm stuck. How in the world do you pull of a critical finish? Are you supposed to press LB when the other guy's life bar is blinking red? Because nothing happens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.