Other (please explain)
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Should I return my 360 Elite

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should I return my 360 Elite

I've posted some of this in a couple of different threads and I've gotten a little feedback, but I would appreciate some more help.

Here's the setup... I bought the Elite from Amazon mid-Oct. There are 4 "problems", nothing major but I've afraid it might be indicative of some larger problems down the road (or maybe I'm just doing something wrong ).

- Noisy, I was told to expect this but when you have to turn up the volume on the TV/stereo to hear over the noise of the machine, that's a "bad thing" IMHO. Additionally there's a hard to describe grinding sort of sound from the disc drive occasionally. It's the normal "disc access sound" (if you know what I mean) but only amplified.

- Occasionally during games (I haven't been able to figure out a pattern yet) the "select a device" prompt will come up interrupting the game. It doesn't happen in all games (at least not yet) but it's happened in enough of them that I'm pretty sure it's the machine and not some sort of bug in the game (the games were Halo3 [very frequently sometimes], Star Trek Legacy and I've pretty sure it's happened at least once in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter #1).

- So far it's only locked up once on start up (which frankly IMHO is one time too many) but it will frequently hang when I do the "shut down console" from the controller. If I use the HD remote control power button that hasn't given me any problems... yet. I've also noticed that you can't really switch between games while leaving the machine on. It seems best to pull the game, shutdown the machine, restart and then pop in the new game. Is this another "problem" or have other people noticed this too?

- Speaking of the HD player it seems to be hit or miss whether or not it is recognized on start up. Sometimes it's there and usable other times it is not. I haven't been able to figure out a pattern as far as this goes either. The last time it was usable it was do this really funny stop/start thing (the type of behavior you see when d/l video from the I'net and buffering is all screwed up). I've tried reinstalling the drivers a few times but nothing seems to help.

To complicate things I've contacted Amazon but it seems they no longer have the Elites in stock (whether this is a temporary thing or not I don't know, were the Elites some sort of limited run?) . So at this point they can't do an exchange for me. So my options seem to be wait until Amazon gets them back in stock (assuming that's even going to happen), try taking it to MS, or suck it up and deal w/ it since they are only minor annoyances.

Any advice/ideas/hints, clues, suggestions as to whether or not I'm doing something wrong?

TIA

Last edited by nemein; 11-24-07 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-24-07, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon doesn't have to have it in stock for you to be able to return it, since they refund your card, not exchange it.
IMO you should return it to Amazon, get your money back, and get it on a B&M store with an excellent return policy (like Costco) or buy it on BB / CC with an extended warranty (if it's still available for the 360s)
Or better yet, get a PS3
Old 11-24-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by I.Flores
Or better yet, get a PS3
QFT. I chose a PS3 over the 360 because of all the RRD stories and other quality issues and haven't had a single problem. Love it!
Old 11-24-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon doesn't have to have it in stock for you to be able to return it, since they refund your card, not exchange it.
IMO you should return it to Amazon, get your money back, and get it on a B&M store with an excellent return policy (like Costco) or buy it on BB / CC with an extended warranty (if it's still available for the 360s)
Or better yet, get a PS3
I agree, return it. The behaviors you have mentioned are not normal. My launch console never had an issue finding the drive, locking up, etc. Right up to the 2 year mark when it RROD. Its been sent back and I hope I get a new one, rather than a refurb because mine was in excellent physical condition.

Send it back for the refund and buy it elsewhere.
Old 11-24-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll agree with everyone else. Return it to Amazon, get a refund, then buy another one at Walmart or Costco where they have a liberal return policy.
Old 11-24-07, 12:13 PM

I would for sure return that thing to amazon and buy one locally. It is a lot easier to deal with returning the system and getting a replacement when you go to a brick and mortar store. God forbid that it happen, but if your xbox were to break it would be a hell of a lot easier to drive to Best Buy or Circuit City or Game Stop or whever and stand at the counter and bitch than it would be to have to call them on the phone or have an email war to get the problem taken care of.
Old 11-24-07, 12:34 PM

Or better yet, get a PS3
Already have one I wanted the 360 for some of the exclusive games and the HD drive (I don't want to buy an hi-def console player until the format "war" was over). I was thinking maybe what I'll do is buy one from Best Buy see if it's any better then return the one from Amazon if it is, or take the "new" one back to BB if it's about the same. What's BB return policy on console game systems?

Also what's the easiest way to get the games from one system to another? That memory card thing? I don't suppose any USB memory drive will happen to work will it?
Old 11-24-07, 12:42 PM

um... looks like I might be completely SOL I've tried the BB/CC/Target websites and none of them show it as being in stock (on the web or locally). Was the Elite a limited edition thing or is it just the holidays?
Old 11-24-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's probably just the holidays, it's definitely NOT a limited product. Just keep checking you'll find one. I agree with everyone else, those are not normal issues. Except for the loud grinding-sounding DVD drive. I get that too with my Elite.
Old 11-24-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Additionally there's a hard to describe grinding sort of sound from the disc drive occasionally. It's the normal "disc access sound" (if you know what I mean) but only amplified.
Has it scratched your discs? If not, it will. This is an early symptom.
Old 11-24-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or better yet, get a PS3

That way the "changing games problem" won't be a problem because you will never have to do it.
Old 11-24-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
That way the "changing games problem" won't be a problem because you will never have to do it.
Ice burn.
Old 11-24-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Return it, but definitely get another one... People recommending a PS3 instead leaves me scratching my head... I've got 15 360 games and ZERO PS3 ones... if you like gaming, replace this system! 360's with small problems usually turn into 360's with HUGE problems, so return it and wait until you can get a new one, I'm sure you'll have better luck this time.
Old 11-24-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This did make me laugh, but there really are some good games out now (including a few good exclusives!).

FWIW, I sent some defective computer speakers back to Amazon for a return. It's not as quick or as convenient as taking it back to the store, but UPS picked it up and I didn't have to pay a single cent for shipping. Amazon refunded everything. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too much of a hassle.
Old 11-25-07, 12:39 AM

You're right. I haven't taken out Warhawk in the last couple of months, because it's so damn good.
Old 11-25-07, 04:30 AM
Suspended

360 has some great titles, but the ps3 does as well, ontop of having superior hardware by a texas mile. I cannot even hear my ps3 when its on even after hours of gaming (Ninja Gaiden Sigma). My buddies 360s are all jet engines at the dashboard. Its not even in the same league.
Old 11-25-07, 06:36 AM

I know this isn't a forum I moderator, but as the OP, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't turn this into another console bashing thread. Each machine has it's own positives and negatives. Right now I would like to keep the discussion focused solely on the negative of whether or not my specific 360 is defective and should be returned, and not in the context of how it compares to another machine.

Thanks

BTW I think I figured out the HD-DVD problem... it looks like the rear USB port might be bad. Granted I've only tried it a couple of times, but since plugging it into one of the front ports the drive has shown up all the time. So at this point there's no question it's going back, the question now is whether or not I should wait to get a replacement first or just send it back now and be 360less for awhile?

Last edited by nemein; 11-25-07 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-25-07, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Send it back, get a refund and buy it again in a few months at a B&M store for easy return. hmmm well if a post office is closer to you or you are just busy get it from amazon again.

Hey pc versions of viva pinita, gears of war, and bioshock are out. Most of the xbox 360 will probably be on pc sooner or later. Might want to just upgrade the pc but xbox live is pretty nice if you were going to gaming with people outside of your home.
Old 11-25-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

anyone that says get a ps3 over keeping the 360 is nuts, theres not enough good games on the ps3 now to get one of them. and most games look better on the 360 at the moment, go to gametrailers.com and watch the vs. videos.

Noisy: ps3 is pretty loud too, I have the 40 gig and its not that quiet. 360 is louder though. but once a game starts I never hear it.

the other problems I never had before.

360 at the moment has the best gamelineup right now, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Gears of War, Bioshock, Eternal Sonata, etc.
Old 11-26-07, 12:27 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am guessing you don't have a costco membership? Mine has many elites sitting there. None of the Pro sets that they advertise. Bummer they don't do free shipping on their website.
Old 11-26-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Every time I feel myself close to buying a 360 again (sold my first before it RROD'd), I read another story like this.

At this point I can't imagine what would make me feel comfortable buying one.
Old 11-26-07, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Every time I feel myself close to buying a 360 again (sold my first before it RROD'd), I read another story like this.

At this point I can't imagine what would make me feel comfortable buying one.
well worth it, I wouldnt worry about that. Seems like it was on the older ones. I did get it on my lauch 360 but Sent it to microsoft and they sent me a new one witha Manufacturing date of September 15 2007. only took a couple weeks too.
Old 11-26-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
It's probably just the holidays, it's definitely NOT a limited product. Just keep checking you'll find one. I agree with everyone else, those are not normal issues. Except for the loud grinding-sounding DVD drive. I get that too with my Elite.
I've just started hearing that grinding sound once in a great while when loading up a game. It startled me the first time.

Got the target 3-year warranty on it. I wouldn't even mind it breaking so I could get a quieter one, because the fans are REALLY loud.
Old 11-27-07, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
hmmm when returning a 360 to a store you have to also return the harddrive. What do you do about the games bought from live arcade?
Old 11-27-07, 04:44 AM

As long as you are sure the problem is not w/ the HD and you are doing an exchange you might be able to talk the store into letting you swap them... maybe. Of course then there is the problem some people seem to be talking about where swapping HDs isn't all that easy (talking about the content not showing up properly), but maybe I'm misunderstanding what they are saying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.