Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

xbox360 premium HDD on a new arcade system problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 02:52 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xbox360 premium HDD on a new arcade system problem

Hey guys,

I recently purchased an Xbox Arcade console. The main reason I made this purchase was for HDMI support. I had previously owned an xbox premium system complete with 20 gb hard drive. When I put my hard drive into the Xbox Arcade Console I noticed that my gamer profile didn't automatically load with the system (or at start up). The Console told me that it found one gamer profile on the HDD. I selected it and my profile loaded. At this point I noticed that all my downloaded videos and themes would not work. The themes were located on the hard drive but, they would not show up in the system window. Oddly, the game demos worked fine as did my saved games. I then connected my console to xbox live and suddenly all my downloaded themes and videos worked again. My console has never been solidly connected to xbox live as I don't generally game online. I then shut down the console and removed the internet connection. When I restarted the system, I was signed out and all my themes and videos didn't work again. After re-connecting the modem and starting xbox live everything seemed to work normally again (or as I was used to on my old premium console). After disconnecting from the internet once more and re-starting the console, I once again didn't have access to the videos or themes. This is quite upsetting as my system is generally not connected to xbox live. What do I have to do make everything function normally again? Is there a known issue that occurs when one removes their premium HDD and uses it on a new Arcade system? Any information you can give me would help. I e-mailed Xbox customer support and the only answer they would give me is that the problems I am experiencing are by design. When I asked what I could do to fix it they didn't respond. I would like to use my themes and be signed in without having to manually sign into my profile and then sign into live for the material on my hard drive to become unlocked.
Old 11-24-07, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Others here know more about this than me but I think this is same problem people have when getting "new" refurb units after sending dead 360s in. They make it so people can't share purchased downloads all over the place.
Old 11-24-07, 12:17 PM

Just import your gamer tag back in and redownload everything. I sent my console in when it broke, got a new one, found nothing would "work" and went and redownloaded it. When you go to download whatever it is you want back on your box it will say the price in MS points still, but it should have a checkmark by it. If it does all you have to do is redownload for free and it is back on your box.
Old 11-24-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
All your downloaded content is tied to the xbox it was downloaded to, or your Xbox Live gamertag. Since you moved your hard drive from the original Xbox it was tied to, you MUST be connected to Xbox Live in order for all your content to work.
Old 11-24-07, 07:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by metalhead212
Just import your gamer tag back in and redownload everything. I sent my console in when it broke, got a new one, found nothing would "work" and went and redownloaded it. When you go to download whatever it is you want back on your box it will say the price in MS points still, but it should have a checkmark by it. If it does all you have to do is redownload for free and it is back on your box.
I tried this on my console but, I am having the same issue. I actually deleted everything by hand including my profile and then recovered it and re-downloaded everything. The DRM is extremely annoying.