Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread, 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by flair
You have to sign in with the controller at the screen where you select your rocker.
Can you explain a bit more in detail? Sorry... I'm slow.
Old 11-24-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, Reverse Cowgirl was the first of it's kind. And it showed that it was connecting to RB Central between songs.
Old 11-24-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I'm not sure which system you're using, but I know for the PS3, you have to make sure that a PS3 controller is connected to the game when using the mic. That way you can go through the menus and such since the mic doesn't have any buttons or anything on it.
Old 11-24-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
..singing and playing guitar at the same time was one of the cooler video game experiences I've ever had, I can only imagine how fun it'll be on songs I like.
I just finished playing a few songs doing the combo thing. Did bass on Expert (as most bass tracks are pretty easy) and vocals on Hard. Ended up 4-starring Weezer, Radiohead and NIN and it was awesome! My wife thinks I'm a total fucking schmuck, but that's fine with me!
Old 11-24-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How is the quality of the guitar, drums and, mic?
Old 11-24-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Have one person playing with guitar, the other playing do the vocals with controller and mic. But put the mic on your head while you play the guitar.
Old 11-24-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, basically confusing the game. I figured I'd do that if nothing else worked. I guess the mic on the guitar and the drums (er, mic slot) is for online play.
Old 11-24-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'm using the same character in solo mode and in local multiplayer WBT. In WBT I can choose to play guitar or bass. In solo tour am I limited to guitar? It lets me choose bass guitars in the shop, so the implication is I can use both.
And just now it's having trouble connecting to Rock Central.
My only complaint about the guitar so far is the "looseness" of the strum bar.
Old 11-24-07, 06:21 PM

there is no solo tour for bass
Old 11-24-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished the drums on easy, and I must say that I'm shocked at the difficulty as it got closer to the end. I'm glad for that though, since it seems to have prepared me for medium.
Old 11-24-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I was having a blast playing the drums today. My guitar issues are at least giving me time to work on that. Still don't see myself moving to medium, but maybe by the time I complete solo on easy I will be ready to try it.

So far Epic and Suffragette City are my two favorites to drum to.

I've made it through ..and Justice for All and Ride the Lightning on Easy so that should be as bad as it gets for Easy mode.
Old 11-24-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Brent L
I just finished the drums on easy, and I must say that I'm shocked at the difficulty as it got closer to the end. I'm glad for that though, since it seems to have prepared me for medium.
Yeah, I finished easy on the drums tonight too. I can't believe how difficult it can be for beginner drummers. I don't think even on easy I'll ever nail 100% on a song, the timing is just so damn tight in order to be able to hit a beat, that it's insane. Ah well, moving on to medium.
Old 11-24-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've drummed a few songs on medium then started on hard today. Ive gotten through the first two tiers but just barely for some songs. Mostly i get around 85%. Am I going to be 100% screwed trying to get through the next couple towns? I just can't sync my hands with the kick drum currently when they aren't playing at the same time. Some songs are easy, but others I just can't pick up. This makes me want to pick up a real drum set. Just have to move out of this apartment first...
Old 11-24-07, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
How is the quality of the guitar, drums and, mic?
After seeing the drums in action yesterday at a Best Buy demo, I finally went back to various Rock Band threads at different forums for impressions.

And I don't think it would be FUD (to tie this into recent posts here ) to say that there is a lot of complaining about the quality of the guitar, and not that much less about the drums.

I've read of many people complaining about losing the ability to 'down-strum' within hours. Some of them have opened the guitar (it's designed in such a way where it's not obvious if it's been opened, which would probably void the warranty), and surprise at how cheap and fragile the innards in that area seem to be is the common reaction.

Here's to hoping everything gets straightened out quickly, though. Just the drums, by themselves, look brilliant... if the game was simply Drum Hero, it might be worth getting. Look at the results in the hands of somebody who plays real drums. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ9XLiMfBRo

[Of course, the fact that he needed to tape down one of the drum pads speaks to the drum quality.]
Old 11-25-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Reading through various forums it seems the guitars are a universal disaster. Drums have issues as well with pads not working right and the kick drum pedal breaking in half. So far my drums seem fine so I have to hope they stay that way.

EA cut major corners on the instruments and it could potentially kill this game if they don't step up and address it soon. At the very least the guitars and drum pedals need to be fully recalled by EA and replaced with instruments that are as sturdy as the stuff sold by Red Octane.

If EA doesn't do something I see the future of this game as one Xbox360 owners buy as a game only to go with their Red Octane guitars and one PS3 owners skip all together because you have no option for a quality guitar to use.
Old 11-25-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, had 3 friends come over and we started a band and maxed out World Tour on Easy. We rotated around and everyone played every instrument at least once. In this band, I was the drummer. My friend's girlfriend was really good at singing and hit 98 and 99% a bunch of times on songs she's never heard before.

What's funny is they were all really hesitant to try the game (except for one of them) and they managed to really like it. My friend and his gf had never played a music game before, nor are they musicians.
Old 11-25-07, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Reading through various forums it seems the guitars are a universal disaster. Drums have issues as well with pads not working right and the kick drum pedal breaking in half. So far my drums seem fine so I have to hope they stay that way.

EA cut major corners on the instruments and it could potentially kill this game if they don't step up and address it soon. At the very least the guitars and drum pedals need to be fully recalled by EA and replaced with instruments that are as sturdy as the stuff sold by Red Octane.

If EA doesn't do something I see the future of this game as one Xbox360 owners buy as a game only to go with their Red Octane guitars and one PS3 owners skip all together because you have no option for a quality guitar to use.
Yep, it looks like once again, EA has screwed the pooch. Damn shame really. The software itself is great, but the corners cut on the hardware is gonna kill this longterm.
Old 11-25-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 916 Likes on 650 Posts
I finally played last night. Five of us had a ball going through World Tour for about seven hours. Though, I can say, I would be satisfied never playing Say it Ain't So by Weezer or In Bloom by Nirvana for a long time, which brings me to...

The whole layout of the World Tour is a disaster, IMO. Forcing you to play the same shit over and over and over until you hate certain songs is a terrible design. Then you are also forced to up the difficulty to be able to advance further in the game. Also a bad design decision. Give me Guitar Hero's setlist layout any day of the week over that nonsense. There are some hidden gems in there like making your own setlist and mystery setlist challenges, but not enough to redeem the career mode.

The Strat is a piece of shit. There were five of us and only one wanted to use it. I think the down strum was already on the fritz. I can't imagine anyone liking this guitar over the Les Paul. I realized how much I need to hear the "click" of the strum to know I'm hitting all my notes. It appeared that if the Les Paul chose a guitar part first, the Strat would override it if the same part was chosen, which was weird.

With the negative out of the way, the game was a great party game. With the drums, mic and Les Paul the game is great. We did easy, medium and some hard (fifth man did the kick pedal). Drums were more fun than I thought, but not something I'd want to play on my own. I'm looking forward to getting the game only for my Les Paul.
Old 11-25-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The whole layout of the World Tour is a disaster, IMO. Forcing you to play the same shit over and over and over until you hate certain songs is a terrible design.
It's the same thing as a real band. I'm sure a lot of bands get sick of playing their hits night after night just because that's what the fans want. I don't mind it at all, as you can always switch instruments around so that it's not the exact same experience every time.
Old 11-25-07, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
It's the same thing as a real band. I'm sure a lot of bands get sick of playing their hits night after night just because that's what the fans want. I don't mind it at all, as you can always switch instruments around so that it's not the exact same experience every time.
Yeah, just like the real thing... without the money, fame, and subsequent drug abuse. Well, maybe you can still do the whole drug thing.
Old 11-25-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SteelgearX
Yeah, just like the real thing... without the money, fame, and subsequent drug abuse. Well, maybe you can still do the whole drug thing.
You still get the fans and the money. I haven't seen drugs in the game yet. However, perhaps they're saving that for DLC.
Old 11-25-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I finally played last night. Five of us had a ball going through World Tour for about seven hours. Though, I can say, I would be satisfied never playing Say it Ain't So by Weezer or In Bloom by Nirvana for a long time, which brings me to...

The whole layout of the World Tour is a disaster, IMO. Forcing you to play the same shit over and over and over until you hate certain songs is a terrible design. Then you are also forced to up the difficulty to be able to advance further in the game. Also a bad design decision. Give me Guitar Hero's setlist layout any day of the week over that nonsense. There are some hidden gems in there like making your own setlist and mystery setlist challenges, but not enough to redeem the career mode.

The Strat is a piece of shit. There were five of us and only one wanted to use it. I think the down strum was already on the fritz. I can't imagine anyone liking this guitar over the Les Paul. I realized how much I need to hear the "click" of the strum to know I'm hitting all my notes. It appeared that if the Les Paul chose a guitar part first, the Strat would override it if the same part was chosen, which was weird.

With the negative out of the way, the game was a great party game. With the drums, mic and Les Paul the game is great. We did easy, medium and some hard (fifth man did the kick pedal). Drums were more fun than I thought, but not something I'd want to play on my own. I'm looking forward to getting the game only for my Les Paul.
Had this problem the first time we played WBT. Last night, though, we started a new band and continually got new songs (played the longer (3 - 6) song venues). The Police song comes up waaaay too early, and was damn brutal.
Old 11-25-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So what is the Les Paul everyone is talking about? Is that the GHIII guitar?

I actually don't mind the Strat, except the neck feels like it could twist off at any moment. It has its pluses over the Xplorer and its minuses.
Old 11-25-07, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing the repetitiveness of the songs will be greatly diminished if you have a lot of downloaded songs to mix things up? I have all of the DLC, and I didn't notice having to play certain songs real often.
Old 11-25-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

aktick: I think it also depends on where you start. I've made two bands so far, one from New York and one from Berlin. We started with different songs and had different challenges. The Berlin band never even played a Killers song, and the NYC band played that song like 5 or 6 times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.