Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

US Game Sales - Week Ending Nov 10th - COD4!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This weeks big releases were Call of Duty 4 and Mario and Sonic.

The 360 version of Lego Star Wars only sold 18K.

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-14-07 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts
Boy, all those millions of people with Wiis don't really buy a lot of games for it, do they? When it says "Wii Sports" is that just consoes sold? I've never seen the game for sale alone and can't imagine why anyone would buy it if it's still packaged with the system.

edit: It has to be the consoles sold. Looking at the huge (and almost identical) numbers of Forza 2 and MUAs confirm it.

Half a million CoD4s is an impressive number. Shows you what a quality game with well thought-out online features will command on the 360.

Last edited by Decker; 11-14-07 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-14-07, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Boy, all those millions of people with Wiis don't really buy a lot of games for it, do they?
I know. Nintendo is doomed.
Old 11-14-07, 04:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superboy
I know. Nintendo is doomed.
Nintendo isn't. But any Third Party trying to make a dent with something original or mildly popular is doomed. If its not Resident Evil or something very famous in the gaming world, good luck getting decent sales of it on the Wii, even with it having the majority of consoles sold worldwide.
Old 11-14-07, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the deal with Ultimate Alliance on that list? That's been out for a loooooooong time already.
Old 11-14-07, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
What's the deal with Ultimate Alliance on that list? That's been out for a loooooooong time already.
That and Forza 2 are free with Xbox purchases so really those 2 and Wii Sports and Motorstorm shouldn't be on the list since console sales drive most of those. I really just want to know what individual softare titles sold. Free games should be removed.

Nintendo's games sales are looking up. People can bash them all they want, but they are finally getting a few games in the top 20 and Mario Galaxy should do alright for them. Guitar Hero Wii did very well, Fire Emblem had a very respectable debut for a title that didn't sell anything on GameCube and it looks like the Wii version of Lego Star Wars was the one people felt worth buying again since many people have already played both games. I may be the only person on Earth that bought this for PS3.

Lets face it, a lot of people buying Wiis are super casuals that don't buy games so you can't count all those console sales as being as important as 360 gamers that buy 2-3 times the games. I will say that Sega may have over estimated how many copies of Sonic and Mario they would sell by several million. Looks like Wii owners are sick of mini game collection.

Glad that PS3 owners decided to come out of their caves and buy Call of Duty 4. It has already come close to outselling Ratchet and Clank. Those Guitar Hero numbers for PS3 are pretty sad though.

Last edited by darkside; 11-14-07 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-14-07, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To the OP, do you happen to know the total sales so far of Project Gotham Racing 4? It's been out for over a month, and I don't think anyone even started a thread for it on this forum. I'm surprised it's made such a small mark. I always thought it was a bigger seller on the XBox.
Old 11-14-07, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Dec. 10th? Sales from the future!
Old 11-14-07, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
That and Forza 2 are free with Xbox purchases so really those 2 and Wii Sports and Motorstorm shouldn't be on the list since console sales drive most of those. I really just want to know what individual softare titles sold. Free games should be removed.
Figure most of those Star Wars Battlefront PSP sale are gaming bundles as well.
Old 11-14-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redcat
To the OP, do you happen to know the total sales so far of Project Gotham Racing 4? It's been out for over a month, and I don't think anyone even started a thread for it on this forum. I'm surprised it's made such a small mark. I always thought it was a bigger seller on the XBox.

Project Gotham 4 - 110,234

That is after 6 weeks, I think PGR has run it's course (actually it is the 5th game in the series, with Metropolis Street Racer on DC being the 1st).

Probably a wise decision by MS to allow Bizarre Creations to be bought by Activision
Old 11-14-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Looks like Wii owners are sick of mini game collection.
Carnival Games is pushing 220,000 sold...

(It has been out 11 weeks, as has Metroid Prime 3. Week 11 saw Carnival Games outsell MP3)
Old 11-14-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Dec. 10th? Sales from the future!
Oops!
Old 11-14-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hail2dking
That is after 6 weeks, I think PGR has run it's course.
Am I wrong to hope that it hits the bargain bin so I can grab Geometry Wars Waves?
Old 11-14-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, the inclusion of bundled games kind of sucks. But i'm too lazy to edit the numbers and adjust them accordingly.

Would 1 million copies sold be the "blockbuster" figure for a game?
Old 11-14-07, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, the inclusion of bundled games kind of sucks. But i'm too lazy to edit the numbers and adjust them accordingly.

Would 1 million copies sold be the "blockbuster" figure for a game?
I'd read that only five 360 games passed that mark, but don't know if that was before or after Halo 3's launch.
Old 11-14-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Working at Gamestop, I can confirm that people do not buy Wii games. I have no idea what the hell they do with the system, but they probably buy it, realize it's crap, then never come back to buy games. We actually were talking about this yesterday at work.

mod note: console bashing removed. -namja

Last edited by namja; 11-14-07 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Working at Gamestop, I can confirm that people do not buy Wii games. I have no idea what the hell they do with the system, but they probably buy it, realize it's crap, then never come back to buy games. We actually were talking about this yesterday at work.
No offense, but you don't work with anyone with common sense or anyone capable of rational thought? According to Nintendo, they are truly selling to casual gamers. People that would not step foot in a game store. They will buy their Wii titles at Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, Best Buy or Circuit City. I would imagine Gamestop is pretty far down the list of places to get it.

I would actually bet that the majority of Wii titles sell at Wal-Mart which aren't included in sales numbers, which hurts the image.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-14-07 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-14-07, 11:26 AM

I'd read that only five 360 games passed that mark, but don't know if that was before or after Halo 3's launch.
1 million sold is indeed the psychological "big hit" indicator for games, much like $100m is for movies. The number of million-sellers on 360 is actually 20+ (worldwide, 10+ in US sales alone). The 360 has done incredibly well in that regard, with an incredible attach rate and third-party sales.
Old 11-14-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

no way. According to vgchartz there are about 26 million+ sellers which is all the way up to GHIII which made it in two weeks. That's an average of one game a month becoming a million seller. Not to shabby.
Old 11-14-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No offense, but you don't work with anyone with common sense or anyone capable of rational thought? According to Nintendo, they are truly selling to casual gamers. People that would not step foot in a game store. They will buy their Wii titles at Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, Best Buy or Circuit City. I would imagine Gamestop is pretty far down the list of places to get it.
I bought my Wii at GameStop, but I wouldn't be caught dead in there to buy a new game. I hated actually giving them business for the Wii, but what are you going to do.
Old 11-14-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hail2dking
Carnival Games is pushing 220,000 sold...

(It has been out 11 weeks, as has Metroid Prime 3. Week 11 saw Carnival Games outsell MP3)
There is something special about that game despite it faults. I enjoyed the hell out of it and it seems most people that buy it enjoy it and tell others about it. This may happen with Sonic and Mario, but honestly the whole concept didn't interest me at all. For a game Sega expects to sell 4 million copies of it had a pretty crappy debut.
Old 11-14-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j_sutton
1 million sold is indeed the psychological "big hit" indicator for games, much like $100m is for movies. The number of million-sellers on 360 is actually 20+ (worldwide, 10+ in US sales alone). The 360 has done incredibly well in that regard, with an incredible attach rate and third-party sales.
Definitely. The 360 is the PS2 of this generation when it comes to million selling titles. Not every game needs to sell a million though. I think 250,000 is a good number for most of the games. I bet Take2 made a fortune on Carnival Games. The development cost for that one couldn't have been more than a couple of hundred grand and it has over 8 million dollars in sales which Take2 had to get a sizeable chunk of.
Old 11-14-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by discostu1337
And you are why most of us real gamers avoid a Gamestop when we have the opportunity.
Old 11-14-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Discostu - while you're entitled to your opinion, the manner in which you bring it across has been deemed a console bash. Please refrain from such type of posting.

Once again to ALL posters - console bashing is frowned upon here. As (generally) adult gamers, we can look at things objectively and not feel the need to put down other systems that we don't fully understand.
Old 11-14-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
And you are why most of us real gamers avoid a Gamestop when we have the opportunity.
Ummm - please no personal attacks in the forum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.