Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 04:08 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I can't help you. I beat him without dying or any party members dying.

What class are you?
I was Renegade, with Ashely and Garrus.
I'm a Soldier, and I brought Wrex and Garrus, so I only have access to the first-tier biotics and techs.

I found a walkthrough that said to lift him and shoot him while he's floating in the air, so I'll give that a try (I think Wrex has lift. I hope Wrex has lift).
Old 12-23-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biotics and Techs? What are these things you speak of? My team and I went thru the entire game just shooting shit. I mean, honestly, I think I may of went into my shield once or twice, but that was about it.

Kinda sad.
Old 12-23-07, 06:25 PM
Suspended

Go figure. I tried it again and beat the last boss in about five minutes. I took a more run-and-gun approach (basically circling the room constantly and only hiding behind the pillar when my shields were wiped) and it worked.

Question about the Achievements:

Spoiler:
To get the "Complete the Majority of the Game with the ___ Ally," do you need to have that particular ally in your 3-person party on the majority of your missions? Or is it enough that you simply have them as part of your crew. I assume the former, since I switched up my party from mission to mission and I didn't get any of those Achievements. Which means, I guess, I have to play through the game at least 3 more times if I want to get all 1000 points.

Last edited by JasonF; 12-23-07 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-23-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
In your 3 team party, not your crew.
Old 12-23-07, 09:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deftones
In your 3 team party, not your crew.
That's what I figured.

Well, I wanted to play through one more time as a Renegade (I went completely Paragon my first playthrough). I guess I'll have to do two more playthroughs after thata if I want the full 1000 points. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Old 12-24-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You also must do the SIDEQUESTS. I thought it was main mission only, but was wrong. So, have them in your party and do 90 percent or more of ALL SIDEQUESTS and MAIN MISSIONS.
Old 12-24-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also had a problem with the final battle, but I figured out what the problem was: for whatever reason, my sidekicks had switched weapons. Double-check that they're using their best weapons. After I discovered the problem, the final battle was significantly easier.
Old 12-24-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
That's what I figured.

Well, I wanted to play through one more time as a Renegade (I went completely Paragon my first playthrough). I guess I'll have to do two more playthroughs after thata if I want the full 1000 points. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Yeah, I was completely Paragon the 1st run through, too. I'm going to give it a month or so, to let the details of the game slowly creep out of my brain. Then I go renegade.
Old 12-26-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody sell me on this game.

I beat and loved Assassin's Creed. I beat and loved Bioshock.

This is supposedly the final piece for the Xbox 360 "Holy Trinity 2007."
Old 12-26-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also played all three games, and would rank this ahead of AC, and on par with Bioshock, if not a little ahead. You really need to be willing to put in a lot of time though, and not just tear through it. Complete as many side missions that you can, and talk to everyone you see. Explore the various planets as well, and be sure to constantly upgrade your weapons. I put in 30 hours, and still didn't do absolutely everything. This and Bioshock were by far the best games for the 360 released this year, IMO.
Old 12-26-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
You also must do the SIDEQUESTS. I thought it was main mission only, but was wrong. So, have them in your party and do 90 percent or more of ALL SIDEQUESTS and MAIN MISSIONS.
Yeah, I found that out when I was doing my last sidequest and got the Quarian Ally bonus. I had thought it only meant main quests, so I used the same team members for all main quests and switched between the other ones frequently (though I learned to keep the Quarian with me to hack into things at all times). Finished the game without getting my second ally bonus. Ugh.

Also didn't realize until too late that if you're a soldier, you're screwed out of getting a ton of the biotics and tech related achievements until your next playthrough (though it is the easiest character to play the game with)
Old 12-26-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

I doubt you'll like it. My favourite parts of the game would be the graphics, story, dialog, environments etc. Also, I enjoy the FPS-lite style combat (especially if you choose a soldier class), which for me is quite refreshing over the traditional RPG combat, and not too demanding (I'm not that great at FPS these days).

Apart from that, the side quests, vehicle sections, exploration, and loot are terrible. So based on that, I'm pretty sure you'll not like it at all. These things don't concern me so much, for example, I just stopped doing side quests once I realised how much they sucked. So I still really enjoyed the game.
Old 12-26-07, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

How do you feel about old-school PC RPGs? Knights of the Old Republic? Oblivion?

I very much enjoyed this game. It's not without flaws -- the inventory management is horrible -- but it's a really compelling story and really fun gameplay.

And I completely disagree with Chris about the side quests, exploration, etc. I had fun just driving around the planets, jumping over stuff, climbing mountains, etc.
Old 12-26-07, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I play this game a lot more like a movie than a video game. I've spent far more time talking to people and listening to the codex backstories to a ton of stuff than fighting.
Old 01-03-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I absolutely love this game. I started playing it last at 11 pm and didn't turn it off till 4 am. I like doing the talking and side missions the most. The shooting is fun but seems a bit difficult.
Old 01-03-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I've played for about 6 hours and really digging this game. I never really cared for other Bioware RPG's, since D&D wasn't really my style and the first KOTOR didn't wow me. But after spending the time on this, i'm loving the story and characters. The interface sucks, but the conversations are so great that i'm sucked in.
Old 01-03-08, 08:06 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I went straight to side quests ignoring the main story for awhile. Once you focus solely on the main quest it could end pretty quickly. Still an enjoyable ride. The side quests usually involve landing on planets and trekking around in the tank/rover. That vehicle can be pretty fun at times especially when you learn you can zoom in and use the turret for first person view.

The characters are interesting, not as cheesy as some of the KOTOR characters tended to be at times. The romance quests were surprisingly mature (in the 'grown up' sense, not x rated sense) and the dialog regarding intimacy were like a well written movie. serious.

The plotline looked like it would veer into lots of cliche territory but actually had lots of surprises. I had pumped up my charm skill and had some jaw dropping turns in conversations--this thing is really well written. Some 'boss battles' were pretty surprising. Also they made decisions with the plot that tried to defy the thinking that this is 'just a game'. They did well.

some parts were cumbersome or unspectactular as has been mentioned, but on the whole this was a great game.

Last edited by Save Ferris; 01-03-08 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-03-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What level do you need to be to purchase the Spectre X weapons?
Old 01-03-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I don't think it's level specific. You just have to have Spectre Training maxed out.
Old 01-03-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I don't think it's level specific. You just have to have Spectre Training maxed out.
I do have it maxed out (level 48 Infiltrator on my 2nd run through of the game, this time on Hardcore), and can't find any info on requirements to purchase the X weapons in faqs and such .
Old 01-03-08, 10:25 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Do you possibly need a spectre weapons license?
Old 01-03-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
They are also capped at level IV (even though they're generally better than higher level weapons), I believe.
Old 01-03-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a Spectre license? The VII line just became available from the req officer once you got 1M credits (I'm capped now at 1 shy of 10M).

I know they're not capped at IV since the first ones I bought were the VII models (HMW is the actual line, so HMWP VII for pistol and such), and the FAQ I looked at showed the X models as the only other ones.

Also, is there a bug with the "UNC: Privateers" quest? I went to the proper system, but the planet that I should be able to land on to do it doesn't have a "land" option for the 'A' button (or any other option for that matter ).

Thanks.

Last edited by cartman; 01-03-08 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Just finished took about 33hrs with all submissions renegade vanguard lvl 50. And I loved it, defiantly needs a sequel. Never played KOTOR II but hopefully they will put out something fast with the same engine in this style.

Wish I had known about the party achievements though

What do you guys think is on the way in the form of downloadable content?
Old 01-04-08, 10:23 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cartman
Also, is there a bug with the "UNC: Privateers" quest? I went to the proper system, but the planet that I should be able to land on to do it doesn't have a "land" option for the 'A' button (or any other option for that matter ).
There are a couple of quests -- and I think this is one of them -- where you are actually looking for a ship in orbit near the planet. So if you have the cursor centered on the planet, nothing will show up, but if you move the cursor around near the planet, you'll lock onto the ship, which you can then board.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.