Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Killing Off the Original Xbox: A Big Microsoft Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
Killing Off the Original Xbox: A Big Microsoft Mistake

I saw this posting the other day.. does everyone agree? I still have my original xbox and my xbox 360 and I think the original xbox games were just fine. I don't think the 360 games are THAT much better in the long run. So, in my opinion, this article is dead on. They should have continued and sold games for the older xbox and not only do I think they would have made more money but I think it would have saved some of us who spent the money to upgrade to the newer 360 from being a bit dissapointed..

Now Microsoft (MSFT) introduced the Xbox in November 2001 and deliberately brought out their next machine, the 360, just four years later, in November 2005, so as to be first to market with the next generation. They kept the two models as a range for just one year, killing off the original Xbox in November 2006 when it was just five years old.

To me it looks like they killed off the original Xbox half way through its life. They could have re-engineered it to make it far cheaper to manufacture (just as Sony did with the PSOne) and kept on selling it for another five years as part of a two product line. They would have sold tens of millions of additional units if the continuing success of the Playstation 2 is anything to go by.

Now imagine the benefits if they has kept the original Xbox alive. It would have given them market presence in the massive developing countries of China and India were lower incomes favor a cheaper machine. It would have brought millions of new people to Xbox live, helping to lock them into buying future generations of Microsoft consoles. And it would have made enormous profits from the continuing sale of the Xbox game back catalogue.
Old 11-10-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't really agree at all. People in the market for a cheap last-gen machine are almost always going to go with a PS2.
Old 11-10-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As an owner of an Xbox and a 360. The upgrade was HUGE. I don't see how anyone could say they were disappointed.
Old 11-10-07, 03:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not a mistake at all. The original Xbox lost them a lot of money, but the 360 has been a huge seller. Hardware problems aside, Microsoft has done just about everything right when it comes to the 360.
Old 11-10-07, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nvidia made the GPU for the original Xbox. As I understand it, Microsoft and Nvidia had a falling out which is why the original Xbox stopped production after a mere four years.

I don't think they would have made "an enormous profit from the continuing sale of the Xbox game back catalogue" either. Stores typically don't stock older games. Most older game sales are used game sales which the developers see no revenue from.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
As an owner of an Xbox and a 360. The upgrade was HUGE. I don't see how anyone could say they were disappointed.

If they don't see a difference, it is probably because they aren't playing the 360 in HD.
Old 11-10-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Old 11-10-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Yeah, the upgrade (visually and online/content delivery wise) was just too huge to ignore.
Old 11-10-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ridiculous article. The original system is inferior to the 360 in literally every single way, and it's not even close.
Old 11-10-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Aside from getting to market sooner, the popularity of modding the console (which made it easy to copy games) may have played a role here. Plus, the expense of manufacturing was greater than usual due to their use of off-the-shelf parts rather than a custom design.
Old 11-10-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only i wanted now is new BC list. Its almost 6 months still not see MS Updating they new XBOX games can play on 360.
Old 11-10-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Xbox had gone as far as it was going to go, and MS had no way to trim the price due to the falling out with NVidea. It seemed sudden at the time, but it's not like all your games suddenly stopped working.

The only sad thing was that there were some genuinely good 3rd party games that came out after the Xbox's execution which I think deserved a little more MS advertising support.
Old 11-10-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As it looks now Microsoft made the right decision by killing the original. The moved fully to the next gen and many people moved with them. Sony is still trying to cater to both markets and it looks like the PS2 is eating up possible PS3 sales.

Microsoft went from a distance second in the US to first place and Sony went from a dominate first to third. To me that says it all.
Old 11-10-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as I love my 360, it's hard to argue that Microsoft is in first...seems pretty clear that the Wii is, at this point.
Old 11-10-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sometimes it is best to just let products go to save face for newer products. In the case of MS, they were right to go full speed ahead on what everyone knew was a much better console.

I'd honestly say I've enjoyed the 360 as much as my old SNES.
Old 11-10-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Aside from getting to market sooner, the popularity of modding the console (which made it easy to copy games) may have played a role here. Plus, the expense of manufacturing was greater than usual due to their use of off-the-shelf parts rather than a custom design.
I doubt it. It boiled down to them losing money on every console sold, even after four years. Why bleed money on something when they can bring out something that has a better chance at earning them a profit and a bigger audience. Also they were so far behind PS2 in sales there was no sense in a languishing system.

Also, they have clearly proven that the year lead time worked.
Old 11-10-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by abrg923
As much as I love my 360, it's hard to argue that Microsoft is in first...seems pretty clear that the Wii is, at this point.
I agree if you're only taking into consideration consoles sold. If you add in software sales I imagine the 360 blows away the Wii.
Old 11-11-07, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
Only i wanted now is new BC list. Its almost 6 months still not see MS Updating they new XBOX games can play on 360.
Me fail English? That unpossible!
Old 11-11-07, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Yeah I have to agree.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-11-07 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-11-07, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The half assed BC is starting to look pretty good actually, especially if you're prepared to cut them some slack for the difficulty of emulating on a totally different architecture and CPU (which really you should). The Wii is obviously much better but they were able to stick with the same architecture this time round.

Last edited by Chris_D; 11-11-07 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-11-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With 3 kids and myself, one system is not enough. My 360 and original xbox both see alot of game time. My Wii, Dreamcast and PS2 are collecting dust.
Old 11-11-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
The half assed BC is starting to look pretty good actually, especially if you're prepared to cut them some slack for the difficulty of emulating on a totally different architecture and CPU (which really you should). The Wii is obviously much better but they were able to stick with the same architecture this time round.

I edited my post before reading yours. I guess we'll see. Obviously it's not important to them.
Old 11-11-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have and use my original xbox, but this article seems off base.
Old 11-11-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I edited my post before reading yours. I guess we'll see. Obviously it's not important to them.
Well using the Intel x86 and NVidea architecture was not a good option for them this time round, especially in view of the legal issues with NVidea. Therefore, I think they've done a pretty outstanding job delivering what they've managed on the 360. There are still PS1 games that I can't run properly on my PC, and emulating a totally different architecture is no easy feat.

"We under promised and over delivered on backward compatibility."

Peter Moores comments were a bit laughable when he made them, but looking at the list of compatible titles now, including ALOT of requested fan favourites, then you gotta respect the effort made, especially with how Sony did a 180 on theirs, twice now.
Old 11-11-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree if you're only taking into consideration consoles sold. If you add in software sales I imagine the 360 blows away the Wii.
Right. Sure the Wii sold the most consoles this year. However, software sales matter as well and the 360 heavily outsells the other consoles. Even the PS2 no longer competes.
Old 11-11-07, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by abrg923
No, he was correct. He stated "in the USA.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.