Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Crysis: Official discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
So i finally got my 8800GT (the final part of my new system build! yay!) and gave Crysis a try. Didn't have a whole lot of time to spend with it yet, but just seeing the intro, boy am I impressed with the graphics. The human models and facial animations are spectacular. Gears of War impressed the hell out of me a year ago, and this has me thinking the same.
Old 11-28-07, 07:20 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll play Crysis a couple years from now when the technology gets more affordable. As of now, it would be a stuttering mess on my computer.
Old 11-28-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game is incredible. really something.

I play on medium settings and the graphics are still incredible.

My system really isnt that powerful and it plays fine, no stutter whatsoever.

2 gigs memory

2.3GHZ core duo

Nvidia 6600GS
Old 11-28-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's good to see that a game with so much hype is actually living up to it. Games are having a good track record with that this year.
Old 12-02-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just finished this today. While I think this was a great game, I thought the first half was better than the 2nd half. I just didn't enjoy fighting the aliens as much as I did the Koreans. I will definitely play through it again and I also don't have a super PC so I did not get the whole Crysis experience. Still, a very solid FPS though I liked HL2 better when all was said and done.
Old 12-02-07, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
This game is incredible. really something.

I play on medium settings and the graphics are still incredible.

My system really isnt that powerful and it plays fine, no stutter whatsoever.

2 gigs memory

2.3GHZ core duo

Nvidia 6600GS
What resolution are you playing at? I play at 16x10, and with my setup (Athlon 3500+, 6800GT, 2 gigs of RAM), it's simply unplayable.
Old 12-02-07, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven6593
What resolution are you playing at? I play at 16x10, and with my setup (Athlon 3500+, 6800GT, 2 gigs of RAM), it's simply unplayable.
On any detail levels? The 3500+ is probably what's holding back performance.

My system is pretty high end, so it's running great.

Core 2 Duo E6550 overclocked to 2.8
4 GB RAM
8800GT
Vista 64 bit
Old 12-02-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ketamine
Just finished this today. While I think this was a great game, I thought the first half was better than the 2nd half. I just didn't enjoy fighting the aliens as much as I did the Koreans. I will definitely play through it again and I also don't have a super PC so I did not get the whole Crysis experience. Still, a very solid FPS though I liked HL2 better when all was said and done.
Reminds of playing Far Cry. I didn't like fighting the mutants nearly as much as the regular soldiers...
Old 01-03-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think this info is fully worthy of it's own thread, but it's still an interesting rumor:

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/01...crysis-in-nov/

It seems like the rumor mill is spinning away at full steam lately, so it should come as no surprise that today's juicy rumor involves Crytek's Crysis coming to the Xbox 360 later this year. And, here we go ...

The Crysis headed to the Xbox 360 rumor just started when a member of the inCrysis forums came across Austrian online gaming store Gamesonly.at's pre-order listing for Crysis on the Xbox 360. The listing has Crysis slated for a 360 release later this year on November 20th and even goes as far as to call it the "uncut edition". Does Austrian retail know more than we do about Crysis or is it simply a listing error on their end? And what about Crysis running on the 360. We thought Crytek was so proud that the game's physics and graphics were too advanced to run on consoles? Hmm, we seem to have created more Crysis questions than we actually answered. Oops.
Old 01-03-08, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikael79
We thought Crytek was so proud that the game's physics and graphics were too advanced to run on consoles? Hmm, we seem to have created more Crysis questions than we actually answered. Oops.
I have never understood why people think Crysis couldn't be done on Xbox360. PC games are very scalable with low, medium, and high settings. Sure there is no way the 360 could do Crysis on maximum DX10 settings, but it could handle the lower settings fine.

It sure wouldn't be the first time a PC game is ported to consoles with lowered settings. All the big FPS games of yesteryear (like Doom 3 and Half Life 2 for instance) were done on the original Xbox at what was the equivalent of "low settings" compared to PC.
Old 01-03-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
or Oblivion which is about equal to medium.
Old 01-17-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just beat the game earlier this week. The first half until you enter the cave, was amazing, in the running for one of the top spots for game of the year. The game really shows off the possibilities for "emergent" (that's the current buzzword) gameplay. I had numerous WOW moments in the first half of the game, and none of them were scripted (a la COD4). The WOW moments are a result of choices I had made in approaching each situation, which is infinitely more satisfying.

My favorite moment was getting a radio transmission that a convoy of troops was headed my direction. I stealthed up onto a ridge overlooking the road and dropped a grenade in the vehicle. I took out almost every troop when the vehicle exploded. Note that there was no flashing, artificial gameplay symbol to "place detonation charge here." I also had some great moments taking vehicles on a kamikaze runs to my next objective.

Unfortunately in the second half the game changes from innovative, to a standard linear shooter. It's not bad, but it doesn't keep up with the high bar set in the first half.

I was able to run the first half of the game on high/medium but as the game went on I had to turn down settings until the last level which I had to run at all medium settings. My specs: Athlon 64 4800+, 2gb ram, 8800gts 320mb superclocked running at 1280x1024 resolution.
Old 01-17-08, 07:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I run it on a AMD 64 4000+ with 2gig and an 8800GT at 1280x1024, Medium, and it runs just fine. I had a couple of glitches during pre-canned cut scenes, but I think they seemed more buggy than framerate related. I built my system for $600.

I agree with the first-half/second-half breakdown. I've replayed the first half three times now, but I always stop right before the final fight in the cave.

The gameplay was pretty open ended but it could have been better. There were a lot of bases located on cliff faces and lots of ledges that were just out of strength-mode reach. That means they designed the bases and outposts to channel you more in specific directions, which I did not enjoy at all.

Originally Posted by msdmoney
The WOW moments are a result of choices I had made in approaching each situation, which is infinitely more satisfying.

Unfortunately in the second half the game changes from innovative, to a standard linear shooter. It's not bad, but it doesn't keep up with the high bar set in the first half.

I was able to run the first half of the game on high/medium but as the game went on I had to turn down settings until the last level which I had to run at all medium settings. My specs: Athlon 64 4800+, 2gb ram, 8800gts 320mb superclocked running at 1280x1024 resolution.
Old 03-31-08, 06:26 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I finally got around to checking this out when I picked up a new gaming laptop this month.

Enjoyed it, but felt shortchanged with the abrupt ending. I expected to go kick some alien ass with Prophet, but all I got was rolling credits. Crysis 2, I suppose. I do agree that the first half was much better than the second. First half felt like Far Cry on an elephant sized dose of steroids.