DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Why the hatred for "minigame" games (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/516722-why-hatred-minigame-games.html)

Space_Monkey 11-09-07 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Minigames also seem to be much better at attracting the non-gamer crowd to at least try it out, since the controls are simplified and lack of familiarity with the controller is not an obstacle. For example, my wife loves Mario Party (mainly because she loves board games) and each of those mini games take just a couple of screens to explain.

Well said. First Wii game I played. There were 4 of us and we had a great time... I was hooked on the Wii after that.

boredsilly 11-09-07 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Crappy Disney, Nickelodeon, Star Wars, Spider-Men and X-Man games still sell far more than those delicious gems you listed AND the casual games (probably combined), but there doesn't seem to be the same backlash to those. In fact, many people on this forum actually help further fund these games.. and often. There's no dearth of varied software out there.. to consider any style of game "the enemy" when plenty of games of all kinds are still coming out in droves is flat out ridiculous and pompous.

Oh there is plenty of backlash to licensed games(on the internet). I think it's just so entrenched in the videogame community online and in gaming press that it just isn't noticeable anymore. There are almost as many people on these very forums that decry them as those who like some of them.

fujishig 11-09-07 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Oh there is plenty of backlash to licensed games(on the internet). I think it's just so entrenched in the videogame community online and in gaming press that it just isn't noticeable anymore. There are almost as many people on these very forums that decry them as those who like some of them.

Well, like minigame collections, just because a game comes from a license doesn't mean that it's inherently bad. While you can probably make some kind of official study and find that the crap vastly outnumbers the quality in these genres, it's probably true of most genres that have any kind of popularity.

fumanstan 11-09-07 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Speaking of minigames, anyone heard any buzz on the upcoming Viva Pinata game?

Some reviews are out and only have it in the 6/10 range. It's out too, by the way. Saw it at target the other day.

dvdsteve2000 11-09-07 07:52 PM

I don't consider WiiSports a minigame collection, It is a disc with 5 games on it. You can repeat the games, navigate through them, etc..., PLUS, a game easily lasts 5-10 minutes. Wario Ware is my idea of a minigame collection. You have 3 seconds to do some random irritating task, only to move on to another irritating task. Within this collection of useless maneuvers is the "Let's show off how many different ways you can hold a Wiimote" feature, most of which are uncomfortable and unresponsive. Those that know me know that I feel as if I wasted my cash on a launch Wii system, and games like WarioWare are the main reason.

On the flip side, someone said the 360 is an FPS whore. Maybe, but man are there some good 360 games, FPS or not. How about some quality driving games for the 360? PGR4, Test Drive,, NFS, Burnout Revenge, etc... My boys wanted the Cars game when it came out, fine. I tried to get them to get it for the 360, but they insisted on the Wii version. The game has been played for about 10 minutes since it came out, and why???? Because the Wiimote sucks for driving games!

Michael Corvin 11-09-07 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by madara
Yikes! I guess I am ridiculous and pompous then. Now we are quoting EGM on how colorful games or ones without guns&blood are for kids now as well.
You know it goes past just differences here, the role of homeless guy trying to fit in with folks at the Country Club has finally gotten abit too tiring and esteem draining lately in all sections and I dont have this problem on other sites. On that note I gracious bow out.

Who's quoting EGM?

No one called you either thing. I guess you are referring to my post and Zack and Wiki. Z&W has kiddie graphics, a ridiculous title, and silly box art. That is the truth and has nothing to do with what some lame publication says.

For the record I have and love Z&W. That doesn't change the perception of the title to the general consumer. Z&W is failing because of those things, not because it shares shelf space with Wario or Rayman.

Back to something you said earlier about Ancel no longer working on Rayman. Care to provide a link?

dvdsteve2000 11-10-07 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Who's quoting EGM?

Z&W has kiddie graphics, a ridiculous title, and silly box art. ...That doesn't change the perception of the title to the general consumer. Z&W is failing because of those things, not because it shares shelf space with Wario or Rayman.

Wait a minute, I thought everyone said that was why the Wii is so popular? Z&W's description (graphics, title, & box art) sounds the same as just about every other Wii game being produced, with the exception of Metroid & Resident Evil. Is that not a good thing now?

Michael Corvin 11-10-07 07:30 PM

pwned!

:lol: Good point.