Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Xbox 360 Thread - Part IX

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only played the previous demos. I have never played the full game. (Burnout)
I just got a projector last week, and playing the game in a 100'' screen is amazing. I really like the artistic design in this games, i.e. the graphics look really cool.
I played for around 15 minutes last night and I didn't know what to do but I still enjoyed every second of it.
It'll be a $40 game for me.
Old 12-14-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
I've only played the previous demos. I have never played the full game. (Burnout)
I just got a projector last week, and playing the game in a 100'' screen is amazing. I really like the artistic design in this games, i.e. the graphics look really cool.
I played for around 15 minutes last night and I didn't know what to do but I still enjoyed every second of it.
It'll be a $40 game for me.
Do yourself a favor and go get Revenge. I think it's about $20 now.
Old 12-14-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, just got a letter from Microsoft. If you purchased the 1 year or 2 year extended warranty, it is added to the 3 year RROD warranty.

Quote:

For example, if you purchased a 1 year Microsoft Extended Service Contract, your Xbox 360 console would be covered for an additional 1 year after the date that your original 1 year warranty expires for a total of 2 years; and 1 additional year after the three year warranty for 3 Flashing Red Lights expires, for a total of 4 years, should you ever experience that particular failure.

Last edited by hail2dking; 12-14-07 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We discussed this back when MS owned up to the problem. The extended warranty adds to the one year warranty that covers general failures. The RROD is three years period.

They sent out letters way back when detailing how it worked.
Old 12-14-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is not the case anymore, the extended warranty now adds to the RROD
Old 12-15-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Well, I played the new Burnout demo...
I'll start off by saying that I'm a HUGE fan of the franchise, and have played and loved every Burnout game so far.

Pains me to say, but I found Paradise to be nearly unplayable. I mean, it controlled alright, but where the fuck am I supposed to go, what the fuck am I supposed to do?

I don't play Burnout to mope around an open city and look for shit to do. I like to find shit in a menu and select it and race - and if I'm not doing well, I should be able to quit the race and start over, immediately, not drive my ass back to wherever the hell the race started. This is just broken-ass bullshit.

Which brings me to another problem: what the hell's with the map and the compass? To see where the race is headed I have to follow the compass (thanks open city!), which means I have to take my eyes off the road, which is not something you should do in Burnout - this already sucks in the demo, I can't imagine how it'll be in the final game when the races get way more difficult. It's the same problem with the map - I look at it to see where I should go, and I'm still lost...

This "open city" has ruined this game. I play Burnout to race fast and crash - THAT'S IT! I don't need an open city where I have to waste time getting to the things I want to do, and have to be further inconvenienced by backtracking and racing in the same sections I was lost in when I was looking for that something to do. They wasted their time making a big interconnected city, when it would've been much better had they just designed a bunch of great individual tracks instead.

So while it might be far to late to do that, I really, REALLY hope they implement some sort of menu selection system in the final game (along with MANY other things), because as it is, it's pretty much unplayable to me, and I've bought and completed all the previous Burnout games, even Dominator, which graphics aside, was still better than this crap.

Last edited by slop101; 12-15-07 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-15-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I personally didnt care for the other burnouts but plan on getting this one
Old 12-15-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Between here and CAG that seems to be the common reception.

- If you love the franchise you'll hate Paradise
- if you were never a fan or never played another Burnout, you'll love Paradise

I couldn't even muster up loading the demo last nightt. I just stuck with Flatout. That's a bad sign from someone that spent about 70-80 hours on Revenge.
Old 12-15-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have given the demo some more playtime, and it just caused to go back to revenge. To me it plays like GTA without guns and hoes.
Old 12-15-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read so much I thought I would give it a shot, but is looks like MS is back into GOLD only demos again.
Old 12-15-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
I read so much I thought I would give it a shot, but is looks like MS is back into GOLD only demos again.
Uh, you own a 360 and you aren't GOLD already? Why own a 360 then?

To me LIVE is just as much a part of the 360 experience as owning the console. You have to have both.

Not picking on you but I just don't see the use of owning a 360 without having LIVE to complement it unless you are a little kid or a (really, really) old fart.
Old 12-15-07, 12:41 PM

Eh, I have owned my 360 for almost two years and I just now went Gold. I just don't play online enough to bother.
Old 12-15-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Uh, you own a 360 and you aren't GOLD already? Why own a 360 then?

To me LIVE is just as much a part of the 360 experience as owning the console. You have to have both.

Not picking on you but I just don't see the use of owning a 360 without having LIVE to complement it unless you are a little kid or a (really, really) old fart.
That seems pretty silly to me to think that. I have a Gold subscription, but I can see why some people don't care. There are great single player experiences on the 360 that don't need any online access.
Old 12-15-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hail2dking
That is not the case anymore, the extended warranty now adds to the RROD
I stand corrected. I just got the letter in the mail.
Old 12-15-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Between here and CAG that seems to be the common reception.

- If you love the franchise you'll hate Paradise
- if you were never a fan or never played another Burnout, you'll love Paradise
That sounds about right.

If I went into this as a new racing franchise, I wouldn't be so disappointed. But since it's called "Burnout", it comes with some expectations that need to be met. They should've just had this game be a new franchise, and given us a new Burnout closer to the old mold.
Old 12-15-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
It is like some kind of hybrid of Burnout and Test Drive: Unlimited.

I liked the demo, but didn't try out the online portion yet.
Old 12-15-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I noticed last night that my CC still has a few of Revenge. I'm hoping they clear it out in January for $16 to make room for Paradise.

I'll just re-buy Revenge and get my Burnout fix.
Old 12-15-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't think the Gold subscription was necessary when I first got my 360 but now that I have it I could never go back.

As for Burnout I never played any of the games before and I thought it sucked. That's just me.
Old 12-15-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played the Burnout Demo for about 15 minutes today. I loved Burnout 3, and I have Revenge but haven't played it due to the plethora of other games right now (Rock Band/AC/GHIII/Bioshock/etc).

That being said I hated it.

I think the worst part about it was the camera. The camera is way too close to the back of the car.

Second off, I didn't think I'd mind the open world thing, but two thinks irk me to no end: 1) The map. It sucks. Imagine trying to use a map on Burnout 3. I can't look over to the map without crashing my car into something because I'm going so fast. The burnout speed is not conducive to driving through a city. Which brings me to the 2nd point: 2) the cars I crash into automatically stop me. I could have sworn in Burnout 3 you could knock the cars off the road if you hit them at certain angles. Lame.
Old 12-15-07, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I played the Burnout Demo for about 15 minutes today. I loved Burnout 3, and I have Revenge but haven't played it due to the plethora of other games right now (Rock Band/AC/GHIII/Bioshock/etc).

That being said I hated it.

I think the worst part about it was the camera. The camera is way too close to the back of the car.

Second off, I didn't think I'd mind the open world thing, but two thinks irk me to no end: 1) The map. It sucks. Imagine trying to use a map on Burnout 3. I can't look over to the map without crashing my car into something because I'm going so fast. The burnout speed is not conducive to driving through a city. Which brings me to the 2nd point: 2) the cars I crash into automatically stop me. I could have sworn in Burnout 3 you could knock the cars off the road if you hit them at certain angles. Lame.

I agree 100%, Burnout is the type of game that needs tracks, doesnt need the open world stuff. I found the racing unplayable. I think they destroyed the series going open world like this.
Old 12-15-07, 05:30 PM

the camera was way too close in burnout revenge as well, making it unplayable for me. It was fine on the current gen systems though...odd.
Old 12-15-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
2) the cars I crash into automatically stop me. I could have sworn in Burnout 3 you could knock the cars off the road if you hit them at certain angles. Lame.
I agree with this 100 percent. It seems odd that they've taken out the traffic checking, which would make driving around this city with so many obstacles much more forgiving.

I'm definitely more optimistic than a lot of you, but I totally understand the problems so many people are having with the demo. My major concern, outside of many of the ones stated, is how online is going to work. I'm thinking there have to be more modes in the full version of the game. While it's fun to driving around and try to get the longest drift or the most air for a while, what you really want to do is race.
Old 12-15-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
Not gold only, but "limited exclusivity" for Gold members. There was a MajorNelson post on his blog I believe a little while back about this, that demos would be Gold-only for a week or two, then open up to silvers.
Old 12-16-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I agree with this 100 percent. It seems odd that they've taken out the traffic checking, which would make driving around this city with so many obstacles much more forgiving.
The traffic checking is different than in Revenge (hated that, thought it made
the game far too easy), but you aren't always stopped when you crash in
Paradise. Depending on your speed or angle of impact you can get something
that looks like one of the signature takedowns when hitting traffic (the camera
goes all dramatic and it throws out a call out blurb that says "Rollover" or "Non
Stop" or something like that, can't remember exactly what it was called and
I've already deleted it so I can't check) and allows you to barrel right through
the crash leaving only the other vehicle disabled.
Old 12-16-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Not gold only, but "limited exclusivity" for Gold members. There was a MajorNelson post on his blog I believe a little while back about this, that demos would be Gold-only for a week or two, then open up to silvers.
They're doing it with the free game add-on downloads too. A friend of mine
with a recently expired gold account tried to download the Burnout demo and
a few of the freebie add-ons for things like Dead Rising and Bioshock and he
was denied on almost all of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.