DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Xbox 360 Thread - Part IX (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/515832-official-xbox-360-thread-part-ix.html)

Liver&Onions 10-30-07 11:42 AM

Official Xbox 360 Thread - Part IX

Yup.

fumanstan 10-30-07 11:46 AM

We're going to outlast the Friday the 13th movies!

kakihara1 10-30-07 11:47 AM

man you're getting lazy as shit. No recap or anything?

GatorDeb 10-30-07 12:00 PM

Wireless adapter shipped $80.77 ($70.77 for new Google checkout customers)
http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/n...350MgZ0CAQZ0G1

Liver&Onions 10-30-07 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
man you're getting lazy as shit. No recap or anything?

Nope.

Recap this.

Martin still thinks he's going to get over 2 million in geometry wars. He's not.

kakihara1 10-30-07 12:11 PM

I am going to get over 2 million in geo wars. I'm sure you check my score everyday, one of these days you'll be in for a suprise :)

PixyJunket 10-30-07 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Martin still thinks he's going to get over 2 million in geometry wars. He's not.

But I will.

Liver&Onions 10-30-07 12:13 PM

Nope I never check. I figure the second you break it I'll get some whiny little message in your nasally little kid voice telling me to send you your prize.

Nosmo Rex 10-30-07 12:18 PM

How quickly these threads degenerate into the L&O/Martin lovefest. :rolleyes:

:)

Canis Firebrand 10-30-07 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex
How quickly these threads degenerate into the L&O/Martin lovefest. :rolleyes:

:)

I don't think these threads would be the same without it. ;)

kakihara1 10-30-07 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Nope I never check. I figure the second you break it I'll get some whiny little message in your nasally little kid voice telling me to send you your prize.

It's better than that stupid ass canuckian oiler accent you sport. ;)

Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex
How quickly these threads degenerate into the L&O/Martin lovefest.

Originally Posted by Vryce
I don't think these threads would be the same without it.

I can't help that he strives (and fails miserably) to be even 1% as awesome as me. :D

DVDChris 10-30-07 12:39 PM

Whoa, just noticed Vryce is now a video game reviewer. Congrats. Wait wasn't Martin5 also one?

kakihara1 10-30-07 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by DVDChris
Whoa, just noticed Vryce is now a video game reviewer. Congrats. Wait wasn't Martin5 also one?

Used to be :) But I'm not anymore

For the past half hour or so I've been looking for info on the rumored iptv service for the fall update. Does anyone know what the visual quality of the content is supposed to be? I seem to remember there being more information months ago then there is now. I know there will be live tv and on demand service but I don't see anything about channels or what the quality of the live TV service is.

Michael Corvin 10-30-07 12:47 PM

I thought IPTV was debunked for the fall update.

kakihara1 10-30-07 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I thought IPTV was debunked for the fall update.

Oh really I didn't read that :( Anyhow it's going to come eventually, and I was interested in knowing what they were going to offer. If the live TV stuff is all SD though I don't think I would be willing to pay for it. Oh well if it's not in the Fall update then I guess it's going to be another six months before it's a possibility again.

Michael Corvin 10-30-07 01:16 PM

Major Nelson on achievement boosting via game saves and the ban hammer.

While I am on the subject of things you should not do, I strongly urge you not to tamper with your Gamerscore and Achievements. If you decide to employ some nefarious techniques to artificially increase your Gamerscore or obtain achievements by manipulating the Xbox software without playing the game, bad things will happen. What type of bad things? For one thing we may remove the entire Gamerscore for an account that contains manipulated gamerscore. Let me be more clear: If you use tampered gamesaves to boost your Achievements and Gamerscore, you may sign in to Xbox LIVE one day and discover that we have removed your Gamerscore. Once we do that, you will never be able to re-earn those achievements on that account. Even worse, you might have your account and/or console banned from Xbox Live.

As you can imagine, we know how to find out if you do this and we do take action. And we'll continue to do so.

The best way to increase your Gamerscore or gain that Achievement is to earn it like a real gamer; play the game. Then you can rightly be proud of your Gamerscore as you earned it yourself and not have to worry about anything. I imagine that the majority of you earn your Gamerscore honorably, but I know there are some people out there are may not be as honest. In short: Don't do it. It's not worth it.

Michael Corvin 10-30-07 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Oh really I didn't read that :( Anyhow it's going to come eventually, and I was interested in knowing what they were going to offer. If the live TV stuff is all SD though I don't think I would be willing to pay for it. Oh well if it's not in the Fall update then I guess it's going to be another six months before it's a possibility again.

From Joystiq

Turns out those images of an Xbox 360 with IPTV were legit. In a statement issued by Microsoft, the Redmond-based company acknowledged that the IPTV features "were inadvertently exposed while the customer's console was being serviced and is unrelated to the Fall Update."

The IPTV features, according to the statement, are part of the Microsoft Mediaroom services and will be made available to service providers by the end of this year, adding that it will be up to them to decide when the service is deployed. We've posted Microsoft's complete statement after the break.

"Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) features will only be available from the Xbox 360 through a service provider who has deployed Xbox 360 with Microsoft Mediaroom (IPTV) services. This was an isolated incident where these features were inadvertently exposed while the customer's console was being serviced and is unrelated to the Fall Update. Xbox 360 with Microsoft Mediaroom (IPTV), will be available to service providers by the end of the year. Microsoft's IPTV service providers will ultimately determine the timing of Xbox 360 with Microsoft Mediaroom deployments."

Raul3 10-30-07 01:38 PM

I'm not sure about banning people for using saves to boost their gamerscore. Maybe is because I don't care about the Gamerscore. I like to get some achievements, but i don't care about the whole number per se.
If they want to enforce that, they should also take care of games where you can get 1000 points in 30 mins or something like that.

pinata242 10-30-07 01:44 PM

I agree that banning is a little harsh. Have a single game and its achievements stricken and unobtainable, sure. I don't see why Microsoft really cares if someone is boosting a meaningless stat like gamerscore.

A-aron 10-30-07 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
I agree that banning is a little harsh. Have a single game and its achievements stricken and unobtainable, sure. I don't see why Microsoft really cares if someone is boosting a meaningless stat like gamerscore.

I would think that it takes away the fun and competition with things like the recent Old Spice challenge. Think about it - it would have sucked if you earned the points honestly in order to get the free game only to lose out to someone who simply put a memory card into their machine.

pinata242 10-30-07 02:32 PM

Sure, but it's sort of a moot point unless there's another challenge in the future.

PixyJunket 10-30-07 02:48 PM

There's a Guilty Gear 2 demo on the Japanese marketplace today!

Peter Skerritt 10-30-07 03:05 PM

I'm sure that this can be spun in different directions, but multiple sources are now reporting that GameStop is ceasing the sale of extended warranties for the Xbox 360.

According to an e-mail that Joystiq is displaying, the extended warranties for new, used and refurbished systems are being halted.

That's an interesting development, especially with the newer versions of the hardware getting into the retail chute now. Microsoft is still offering its own warranty extensions for up to 3 years.

PixyJunket 10-30-07 03:10 PM

Warranties from places like GameStop are essentially scams, so the fact that the hardware is faulty enough to necessitate coverage, their scam fails and they lose money. They're not offering the warranty because they know they'll have to follow up on it, they bank on getting your $50 and never seeing you again.

Nosmo Rex 10-30-07 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Warranties from places like GameStop are essentially scams, so the fact that the hardware is faulty enough to necessitate coverage, their scam fails and they lose money. They're not offering the warranty because they know they'll have to follow up on it, they bank on getting your $50 and never seeing you again.

Yeah - but aren't all warranties like that, really?