Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain to me about Firmware?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a PSP Slim and the retailer at Gamestop recommended that I download the latest firmware online. I never got the chance to ask the guy.

What's firmware and why is it recommended?

And if so, where do I get the latest version of firmware for my PSP?
Old 10-19-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Firmware is the code that tells your PSP how to use its hardware and system functions.

Firmware updates can add new features and capabilities to a machine, but (in the PSP's case) it can also lock out the ability to mod and run homebrew apps on the unit.
Old 10-19-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe 3.7 is the latest version available here.

http://www.us.playstation.com/psp/do...s/systemupdate
Old 10-20-07, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
Firmware is the code that tells your PSP how to use its hardware and system functions.

Firmware updates can add new features and capabilities to a machine, but (in the PSP's case) it can also lock out the ability to mod and run homebrew apps on the unit.
You won't have to worry about locking out your ability to mod. You would have to jump through MAJOR hoops to get a Slim modded, and if you don't know what CFW don't mess with it. Trust me. (at least don't ask about it here )

Anyway, your PSP came with Firmware 3.60, the latest is 3.71. If you wanna update and have access to wireless internet, just go to system update from your menu on your PSP (XMB)

It will find and install the latest firmware for you.

The only thing this version would add over the one you are running now is the ability to put Custom Themes on your PSP. I'm using a iPhone theme

If you don't care about this or don't need it now, eventually a game will make you update to play it, and it will include the firmware update on the disc so you won't have to download it.
Old 10-20-07, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by boston george
You won't have to worry about locking out your ability to mod. You would have to jump through MAJOR hoops to get a Slim modded, and if you don't know what CFW don't mess with it. Trust me. (at least don't ask about it here )

Anyway, your PSP came with Firmware 3.60, the latest is 3.71. If you wanna update and have access to wireless internet, just go to system update from your menu on your PSP (XMB)

It will find and install the latest firmware for you.

The only thing this version would add over the one you are running now is the ability to put Custom Themes on your PSP. I'm using a iPhone theme

If you don't care about this or don't need it now, eventually a game will make you update to play it, and it will include the firmware update on the disc so you won't have to download it.
Awesome. Thanks, I really appreciate it.