Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ONLY Halo 3 thread - part deux.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K&AJones
Well maybe not "Nightly" but close enough and for that I apologize. Unfortunately it's been when you're signing on and I'm about to get off or I just fell asleep with the game still on. I will take you up on the next offer so thanks.

Kenny J
That's alright. Right now I wish I could go to sleep as soon as I got home, but I'm just not sleepy. At least Chibul and Ronin (and a few others) are just as bad and I have some company.
Old 10-17-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, don't remind me. Every night I tell myself I'm going to bed early, and every night I end up staying up to play with you assholes.

Or better yet, I do go to bed early, and end up waking up two hours later and popping online to play.
Old 10-18-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Alright, fellow DVDTalkers....add me as a friend please!! Getting stuck on teams that refuse to communicate/coordinate is driving me nuts!!!!
Old 10-18-07, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Feel free to add me who for anyone who hasn't yet
Old 10-18-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
So what's online etiquette when going into a big team battle, and three or four people on your team drop? Just grin and bear it and get slaughtered, or is there a way to let the other team know you want to quit without looking like a jerk?
Old 10-18-07, 11:27 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
Just wanted to say...I FINALLY beat the game today (on Heroic) and must say that I was ever so pleased with the resolution!

Those who felt it was underwhelming...I don't know what more you wanted in the game...but I am 100% satisfied! These would make some great movies!
Old 10-18-07, 11:52 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fujishig
So what's online etiquette when going into a big team battle, and three or four people on your team drop? Just grin and bear it and get slaughtered, or is there a way to let the other team know you want to quit without looking like a jerk?
Unfortunately, your options are limited to a) hiding and hoping the other team doesn't find you. Repeat until game ends. b) Continuing to play and get slaughtered. Or c) quit out and risk a Rep hit, player avoidance marks against you and the loss of Exp.

The only recourse you have against the people that dropped is to file player reviews against them and mark them as "Avoid Player"
Old 10-18-07, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Matto1020
Just wanted to say...I FINALLY beat the game today (on Heroic) and must say that I was ever so pleased with the resolution!

Those who felt it was underwhelming...I don't know what more you wanted in the game...but I am 100% satisfied! These would make some great movies!
It is evident the story was well thought out for 3, but I still feel as though it was very quickly rushed. The pacing of the story was just to quick for me. They gave the story no real chance to build any true tension and the conflict resolution just felt so, for lack of better words, empty.
Old 10-18-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
Unfortunately, your options are limited to a) hiding and hoping the other team doesn't find you. Repeat until game ends. b) Continuing to play and get slaughtered. Or c) quit out and risk a Rep hit, player avoidance marks against you and the loss of Exp.

The only recourse you have against the people that dropped is to file player reviews against them and mark them as "Avoid Player"
I don't quit, I just tough it out. Not a big deal, since now you have more people to kill and they have to work harder to find you. Sure, you probably will lose so just have fun. Winning isn't everything.
Old 10-18-07, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Winning isn't everything.
Unfortunately it is!! At least with how Exp. points are awarded! That's one of the things I hate about how H3's advancements work. A BIG FAT ZERO if you are the best player on the team that loses.

Aside from constantly being dropped on teams where actual teamwork is a pipe dream, I've been having a blast.
Old 10-18-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Alright, fellow DVDTalkers....add me as a friend please!! Getting stuck on teams that refuse to communicate/coordinate is driving me nuts!!!!
Originally Posted by ElementZ
Feel free to add me who for anyone who hasn't yet
Added. You can usually find myself/Steelgear/Ronin playing after midnight most nights. Last night, I almost fell asleep at the 360, so I bailed early.
Old 10-18-07, 02:11 PM

Unfortunately it is!! At least with how Exp. points are awarded! That's one of the things I hate about how H3's advancements work. A BIG FAT ZERO if you are the best player on the team that loses.
Not quite true. If you are the best player on the losing team AND you get the game MVP award you still earn your XP, you just don't get any credit towards your rank. So, you still have incentive to do well.
Old 10-18-07, 02:20 PM
sk8r1189

Originally Posted by Vryce

I'm not a fan of your "b" - I've had three other people on my big team battle team with the opposing team having eight, and i was the MVP, imo it should be easier for your team of four since there is more game for you to shoot, and less of you for them to shoot.
Old 10-18-07, 02:27 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In most cases, that works as you posted. But, if you have a team that works well and travels together, chances are you will encounter more of them then they encounter of well, you. Therefore, they will be able to kill you more then you kill them. Sure, you may take out one of them with you, but odds are a little against you.

If you team built up a lead before those people quit, you stand a better chance at winning. But, I suspect they quit because your team was losing. That makes it much more difficult. That is just in slayer games, in objective games, you are at even more of a disadvantage because not only do you have to try and complete the objective, but you have more people hunting for you then are on your team helping.

There is no ideal solution, other then to a) not care if people quit early and just play as you always have or b) make sure you only party up with people to go into matchmaking or stay in the Lone Wolves playlist where you aren't on a team.
Old 10-18-07, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by aerobson
Not quite true. If you are the best player on the losing team AND you get the game MVP award you still earn your XP, you just don't get any credit towards your rank. So, you still have incentive to do well.
Well, that would only be motivation for the best player. Being new to playing Halo online (not having played H2 online) I am used to the Enemy Territory (Wolfentstien, and now Quake Wars) style of player awards/rewards. You get EXP and certain enhancements for your individual and team effort, no matter who wins.

I think something like that would motivate lazy players on teams that may be way down in a match. I am soooo tired of seeing team members bail on a game just because we are losing. While it's more fun to win, it's still fun when you are playing with a motivated group that is actually putting up a fight in a losing battle.
Old 10-18-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Didn't know if someone posted this or not. Found it in the Movie thread section:

Cinema Analysts Blame Halo 3 For Low Ticket Sales

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/ne...php?story=15870

Quote:
October 16, 2007

Cinema Analysts Blame Halo 3 For Low Ticket Sales

Movie industry analysts have blamed the poor performance of Ben Stiller romantic comedy The Heartbreak Kid on the disruptive influence of the Halo 3 launch. The $60 million movie was expected to enjoy a $20 to $25 million opening, but registered only $14 million in revenues in the U.S. and Canada.

By comparison, Halo 3 famously generated $170 million in revenues on its first day, increased to over $300 million in its first week. Compared to Halo 3’s near universal critical acclaim though The Heartbreak Kid in has received mixed reviews, with a Metacritic total of 46 out of 100.

Total cinema industry revenues for the October 5th weekend were just $80 million, 27 percent below that of the same weekend in 2006, according to data from research firm Media by Numbers. This has resulted in the worst October weekend since 1999, with autumn receipts overall down 6 percent on the previous year.

"The audience on this game is the 18-to-34 demographic, similar to what you'd see in cinemas," quotes an Advertising Age article of Mike Hickey, an analyst at research firm Janco Partners. ”This could last for several weeks."

The Advertising Age article also suggests that Paramount, the studio behind The Heartbreak Kid, suspects that the movie’s failure was partially due to the release of Halo 3 and is “working to determine if there was a correlation”.

POSTED: 04.52AM PST, 10/16/07 - David Jenkins
Old 10-18-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it must be Halo 3. It couldn't possibly be that most of the movies out now are crap.
Old 10-18-07, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by lordwow
I love Halo 3 Ranked Matches, They really do a good job with skill and matching you with generally evenly-skilled players.

Not really. I was playing team slayer last night, I'm about a 15 right now. The other team was totally comprised of guys who deranked from the 35-38 range down to about 17. Needless to say they killed us 50-21. The ranking works in theory, but when people start deranking just like in Halo 2, it takes a lot of fun out of the game for those of us who are more casual players and just want to have a little fun. I usually check people's stats while waiting for the map to load and I have noticed a good portion of players recently that are deranking. I saw one guy that had dropped from a 28 down to a 6 in a Lone Wolf game. He beat the second place player, me, 25-10 (the other scores were 6, 5 and 2). Bungie really should have fixed this for Halo 3 and it's just going to get worse.
Old 10-18-07, 05:29 PM

Well, that would only be motivation for the best player. Being new to playing Halo online (not having played H2 online) I am used to the Enemy Territory (Wolfentstien, and now Quake Wars) style of player awards/rewards. You get EXP and certain enhancements for your individual and team effort, no matter who wins.

I think something like that would motivate lazy players on teams that may be way down in a match. I am soooo tired of seeing team members bail on a game just because we are losing. While it's more fun to win, it's still fun when you are playing with a motivated group that is actually putting up a fight in a losing battle.
Yeah, you're right, I guess it only works if you are the best player, but it is at least incentive to try to get that MVP award.

I guess I haven't had the same issue with people quitting. I play with full 4 or 8 man parties almost 100% of the time, though, so I would suspect that is the reason. When I don't have friends online, I'll usually just play the Lone Wolf playlist, so I don't care if people leave that.
Old 10-18-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Binger
Not really. I was playing team slayer last night, I'm about a 15 right now. The other team was totally comprised of guys who deranked from the 35-38 range down to about 17. Needless to say they killed us 50-21. The ranking works in theory, but when people start deranking just like in Halo 2, it takes a lot of fun out of the game for those of us who are more casual players and just want to have a little fun. I usually check people's stats while waiting for the map to load and I have noticed a good portion of players recently that are deranking. I saw one guy that had dropped from a 28 down to a 6 in a Lone Wolf game. He beat the second place player, me, 25-10 (the other scores were 6, 5 and 2). Bungie really should have fixed this for Halo 3 and it's just going to get worse.
That doesn't mean they've deranked...the number is their highest rank in any playlist, not just the one you're in. The last example could've had a 28 in Team Slayer, and just a 6 in Lone Wolves.
Old 10-18-07, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Binger
I'm not a 100% sure, but I think you may be looking at their "highest rank" which can be earned in any other multi option (i.e. Team Objective). So if you earn a rank 35 in Team Objective, and then you decide to start playing Lone Wolves you'll be back to rank 1.
Old 10-18-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have had fun on the multiplayer maps, but I think I liked the Halo 2 maps a bit more.

Do you guys like the new maps or the old MP maps from H2 more?
Old 10-18-07, 05:49 PM

I prefer the new ones. I just think we need more of them.
Old 10-18-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
Yeah, don't remind me. Every night I tell myself I'm going to bed early, and every night I end up staying up to play with you assholes.

Or better yet, I do go to bed early, and end up waking up two hours later and popping online to play.
I love you guys.
Old 10-18-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts
I will say that playing Team Doubles with strangers can be tough. Tried 3 games today. One guy got one kill, one guy got zero kills, & the other guy obviously got up and left his Xbox running in matchmaking as he didn't move an inch the entire game. Some teamwork.

Damn SteelgearX, do you ever play when the sun is shining? I think SteelgearX is our resident vampire. The man only plays after midnight, then logs off around 3am for dinner. So what are you sucking on at 3am?

I plan to add some more of you guys to my friend's list so you may see some invites from me. Don't be afraid, I stink...but not too bad. I tend to warm up by the time I am ready to quit and go to bed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.