Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ONLY Halo 3 thread - part deux.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTB is all I play now... Vryce is spot on with his observations, but if you don't worry about winning, it's a blast.

Bungie is just as immature as the players when they add SWAT, easily the most popular gametype of all time, and take it away afetr 2 days. What's the point in dissapointing fans. Give us what we f-ing want.
Old 04-08-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here is a new problem.

I can join anybody's game on my friends list except for my one local friend who I play with the most. When trying to join a game or accepting an invite, it says the request has timed out. If I try and check his Halo 3 party details while he is in a game, it says these details are unavailable, the person might have left the game.

He gets the exact same messages trying to join me. Yet, we both have no problem joining games on Live with other people, including random matchmaking and other friends' games on our list. We both have open nat settings and did everything.

We have been playing since launch and this problem just started happening. Any ideas or solutions.
Old 04-08-08, 01:02 PM

one of you doesn't have NAT open.
Configure your/his router for live and it should take care of the issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

MS has it wrong there.... TCP 88 should also be mapped.
Old 04-08-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
But I do have my NAT open and so does he. Don't understand why it would work for 6 months and just stop.
Old 04-09-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I started playing Halo 3 again recently. The problem with BTB is getting past the bottom 25-50% of players. Once you reach a halfway decent level, you're unlikely to find the troglodytes that litter some of the lower level matches.

If you see me online playing Halo 3, invite me or join my party.
Old 04-09-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Finally got a bigger group of friends together to play. It's true, once you have enough players to be your own team, it becomes much easier to communicate and the experience is a lot better. Of course, we all suck, so there are times we get completely run off the map, but it's still a lot more fun.

So since this new map pack is going to be called "Legendary," is this the last one they're going to release?
Old 04-10-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
I saw the thread up again and was just wondering if anyone or others are playing coop or is it just MP for now? I'm still playing COD4 but for now holding off on RS:LV2. Never really gave the coop a try.

Kenny J - B4EvrYng
Old 04-10-08, 08:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
I still haven't opened my copy, but I bought it just for co-op.
Old 04-10-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
I wanna play.
Old 04-10-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I still need to do some coop on this. I'm currently on R6:Vegas2.
Old 04-11-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm willing to do legendary co-op if we have a group of three or four players.

By the way, the new gametype for the weekend (Zombie / Infection) is great. I've played it before but the way the maps are setup are great. All the doors to the bases have crap in front of them so it really looks like the last stand. At one point there were 14 zombies and two guys driving around in a mongoose. The zombies were a bit slower but you could see everyone slowly making their way to the last two guys. It was a cool sight.
Old 04-11-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
The only reason I brought "coop" in the mix is that I went thru the game in single play fast and when everyone was about to jump on MP COD4 hit and that was it. I really liked the feel of coop in RS:LV but everyone was playing Gears so again the four player coop didn't get used much. With many here in COD4 now I figured it might be easier to get in a coop play much like Gears coop was. Going thru some levels with a few friends is the next best thing to 10-16 player matches that's hard to come by on DVD Talk. I'm by no means a skilled "Legendary" player but can give it a good go.

Kenny J - B4EvrYng
Old 04-11-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I finished solo on Legendary and only have the last 3-4 levels on Legendary on Co-op to do. The most I played with was three and it was a blast.

Has anyone done the meta-games? Those seem to be the bulk of the achievements I'm missing. I've never tried 'em.

I passed on the Heroic map pack until they were free, but with Lockout and Sidewinder being a part of the Legendary pack, I think I'm going to bite the bullet on this one. My ultimate dream would be for them to port the bulk of the maps from 1 & 2 so that they are all accessible in a single game. I do find it odd that the final Halo 2 pack (w/ Hang em High) hasn't made it's way into Halo 3 yet. I figured since it came out so close to H3 that they would have been smart enough to make them work in H3 at the same time. Kinda disappointing if you ask me.
Old 04-13-08, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone does start a co-op game, and you need another player, let me know.

I had a great time going through the campaign on legendary with Paradoxx21 (and occasionally a couple others).
Old 04-15-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Wow, no one commented on the new maps yet?? My early impressions:

Avalanche-Sidewinder from H:CE on steroids. I was never a huge fan of Sidewinder, but this one looks like it's going to be a bit more fun to play. Lots of 'air-jets', warthogs, a banshee, a mongoose, a ghost, and even a hornet. I haven't been a fan of any LARGE snow levels so far (Containment, Sidewinder, Waterworks)...hopefully this one is more fun to play.

Blackout-Lockout from H2. As I started walking the map, I thought "Wow, this looks like Lockout...well, it is. The sword, shotgun, and sniper are all in the exact same places as in Lockout. I honestly went straight to all three without missing a beat. I'm glad to see them resurrect one of my fave H2 maps, thumbs up!!

Ghost Town-Kind of a crazy map. I didn't play it online yet, but the walkthrough was interesting. Lots of ramps, broken walls & floors, etc... Really a nice looking map, and should be chaos on Team Slayer.

I wasn't going to get the maps since they won't be in the TS mix for months, but my boys love forging, so I grabbed the maps for them. Blackout & Ghost Town are better maps than Standoff & Foundry hands down.
Old 04-16-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Coolest betrayal ever? You decide:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KicJSFEgB_U&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KicJSFEgB_U&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

We had a similar situation but neglected to save it. Ours was also on Last Resort and in the same exact area with the Warthog. Someone nuetralized the hog and hit us with a grenade sending us flying towards the area under the Spartan Laser on towards the sniper rifle area. A buddy rounds the corner (over by the sniper rifle) , oblivious to what is going on only to get a flying Warthog to the head. Needless to say we watched him die in slo-mo numerous times once it was over.
Old 04-16-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is awesome.
Old 04-16-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice, Smurf Sandwich!
Old 04-16-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts
That's funny but how is that a betrayal? I could swear both players jumped out of the warthog once it got caught up. Was there someone still in it as it was lifted and dropped?

Or is it still a betrayal because Blue was the last team to touch it?
Old 04-16-08, 02:30 PM

why no tanks on Avalanche? Why does Bungie refuse to put tanks in any map as the default.
Old 04-16-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

when are the maps going to be free?
Old 04-16-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

June-ish is my guess.
Old 04-19-08, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
why no tanks on Avalanche? Why does Bungie refuse to put tanks in any map as the default.
Depends on the game you play. Some variants like 1-Flag CTF you'll get a Scorpion on one side a Wraith on the other.

For Neutral Bomb there's no Scorpion.
Old 04-21-08, 12:15 PM

So what can Bungie do to dethrone COD4 as the top played game?

I was discussing this with a friend...
1. I was thinking they would have to get cracking on map packs... issuing them every 3 months. (they would probably still make the last pack free after 6 months - they still have to make money).
2. Find out the most popular multiplayer maps and re-release them (pulling from an old library would allow them to get the map packs out quicker). Get Hang ‘em High, Warlock, Sanctuary, Relic, Terminal, Battle Creek, Blood Gulch, Death Island, Timberland.
2.5 – Make some Easy maps… one room tournament maps, like paintball fields, with simple barriers and symmetry.
3. Stop being pussies and enable SWAT as a permanent match type. Their most popular game type and they refuse to use it because it proves to be more popular than the regular game.
4. This is the most important one…Shake up the games. Throw in every game type imaginable under each matchmaking category. Why limit them? Just add them all. People won't get bored as quickly. Fiesta, Swat, Ball and every variation- put them all in. There’s nothing preventing them from doing this. I can play for an hour on a playlist and play every type and get sick of them all. Mix it up and don’t limit our options. Where are fucking gravity and speed options? Where are variations on maps? You have them--- use them.. Only Bungie’s need to control everything is preventing matchmaking from being diverse and interesting.
And for Christ’s sake use some of that screen real-estate to explain the objectives of the game when people are waiting for the game to load.
5. Add the DLC maps into the main matchmaking as soon as they are available (if people don't have them- they ignore games that are on them).
6. Ban team killers and de-levelers quickly.
7. Remove vetoing. It doesn’t work.. Some people always veto. Some never. It does not reduce quitting. It just make games take longer to set up… and makes me want top punch assholes that chant “veto’ through the whole process. Speed up matchmaking by removing vetoing and cutting out those stupid, pointless countdowns.
Old 04-21-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was thinking about the same thing earlier. As for COD4 maps selling more I think it just comes down to price. 3 Halo maps (that will be free later, two of which are retreads) for $10 or 5 COD4 maps (that more than likely won't be free) for $10. No surprise why COD4 outsold them. I don't think it has to do with the game at all. Simply pricing.

I agree with pumping them out faster as well as revisiting ALL the maps in H1&2. Since Halo 3 is supposedly the last game, there's no reason not to make it THE game to keep for MP and shelve the other two. Get all the maps/gametypes for the two previous games in there. I find it especially odd the final H2 map pack didn't show up for Halo 3. It came out so late I would assume they worked on a H3 version of them in tandem. Guess not.

I've had zero problems with Vetoing. I think it works great. I really haven't had too many issues with quitters either. It's so rare that I chalk it up to connection issues. The only time I see a ton of quitting is Big Team battles. Same with de-leveling. No problems there, especially considering how rampant it was on H2.

So it boils down to more maps faster and cheaper. Get cracking Bungie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.