Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Clive Barker's Jericho

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clive Barker's Jericho

Played the PS3 demo tonight. Got through it in about 10 minutes. It was better than I expected, but I'm not really a fan. For one thing, the whole environment makes it seem like you're exploring Fat Bastard's toilet. I guess I prefer FPS's that are more out in the open and scenic (Far Cry, Half-Life 2, etc...).
Old 09-28-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I figured the game would be dark. It wasn't bad I don't really like FPS but it was alright.
Old 09-28-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone compare the 360 vs PS3 versions?
Old 09-28-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I meant to, but Metroid beckoned instead. I'll get around to that this weekend, I'm sure.
Old 09-28-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I was downloading the demo for both consoles, 360 finished first I played it and then aborted the PS3 download.
Old 09-28-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Based on how much I enjoyed Clive Barker's Undying, I'll give the PC demo a shot. It sounds kind of interesting.
Old 09-28-07, 12:23 PM

cool, so the demo is out on the marketplace?
Old 09-28-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed it - it was better than I expected
Old 09-29-07, 10:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the opposite reaction. I thought it was much worse than expected. The character models look like shit, like something from an early PS2 game. The character switching didn't feel intuitive (I can only imagine what it would be like with three more characters). The powers were often ill-defined (I still don't know what being a blood scribe means) and didn't seem to work as advertised a lot of the time. The combat also felt very frustrating. The chick with the sword is a good example. You use the left trigger to hit with the sword, but there's some kind of timer built in, so you can't string slashes together, it's all single hits. So you get one hit in, the monster attacks you about four times, then you get to hit it again. Even the guns felt very underpowered, taking a ton of ammo to take down one guy. I know demos are works in progress, but with next-gen games costing $60, you have to win me over to get me to want to own it, and this one did not do that at all. It's a shame, because the premise sounds cool and I love Clive Barker.
Old 10-01-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was alright. I'm not really a FPS fan, but this had a nice religious twist to it and a story I can get behind. I'll definitely wait for reviews of the final version.

PS3 vs 360 demo. They were identical as far as I could tell. The only thing is that, once again, the 360 wins out due to controller. Also achievements and Live support.

Funny thing. I played the 360 version and got through it. Fired up the PS3 version and was pissed that the aiming wasn't inverted (i.e. up went up, not down). That was a major strike against the PS3 version in my mind and I barely got through the demo. Fired the 360 back up to see if it was different and, no, it wasn't. The 360 also wasn't inverted but I didn't notice the first time through which is really weird.

I'm not sure what to make of that, but it's got to be another plus for the 360 even though it surely was entirely mental.
Old 10-01-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked the story (from what I could get out of it from a demo), but the gameplay was uninspired.
Old 10-01-07, 12:53 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by pinata242

Funny thing. I played the 360 version and got through it. Fired up the PS3 version and was pissed that the aiming wasn't inverted (i.e. up went up, not down). That was a major strike against the PS3 version in my mind and I barely got through the demo. Fired the 360 back up to see if it was different and, no, it wasn't. The 360 also wasn't inverted but I didn't notice the first time through which is really weird.

I'm not sure what to make of that, but it's got to be another plus for the 360 even though it surely was entirely mental.
I noticed right away that the 360 version was not inverted. That's always the first thing I check in a shooter.
Old 10-01-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I must be odd, I cannot stand an inverted control on ANYTHING.
Old 10-01-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Growing up playing flight/space sims, there is no other way.
Old 10-01-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Growing up playing flight/space sims, there is no other way.
Funny you mention it, whenever I play FPS I don't play inverted, but when I play space/flight games I have no problem with the inverted controls. Even when flying the banshee in Halo I use inverted but in the regular run and gun mode of the game, I play non-inverted.
Old 10-01-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I noticed right away that the 360 version was not inverted. That's always the first thing I check in a shooter.
I can't try the 360 version because my 360 died, but every FPS I've put in it defaults to inverted. I set it that way as a preference in the dashboard. Does this demo not invert the controls even if you have it set that way in your game preferences in your gamertag profile?

I played the PC demo and was able to invert it. Took me a minute to find the option since it blended with the background. Also, the buttons aren't customizable at all on PC that I could find, which sucks.
Old 10-01-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ghym
I can't try the 360 version because my 360 died, but every FPS I've put in it defaults to inverted. I set it that way as a preference in the dashboard. Does this demo not invert the controls even if you have it set that way in your game preferences in your gamertag profile?

I played the PC demo and was able to invert it. Took me a minute to find the option since it blended with the background. Also, the buttons aren't customizable at all on PC that I could find, which sucks.
There was no in-game customization at all in either demo I tried. I don't think I've found that Dashboard setting, but I'll definitely look for it and try again. The only real game I've played on my 360 is GoW - and I only started that today. I'm pretty sure I had to turn the inversion on there, but that could just override this alleged Dashboard setting
Old 10-01-07, 06:17 PM
Banned by request

I didn't realize there was a dashboard setting for it. I'll have to fix that tonight.
Old 10-01-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I wasn't too thrilled with the PC demo. And the "twitch-in-sequence" cut scenes are a big to me.
Old 10-02-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't realize there was a dashboard setting for it. I'll have to fix that tonight.
Yeah, I forget where it is exactly. It's in your Gamertag profile settings somewhere. There is a section where you can set game defaults, like all FPS games are inverted controls. Stuff like that. I set that a while back, and when I play Bioshock, CoD or anything, they all default to inverted controls.
Old 10-02-07, 02:12 PM

The powers were often ill-defined (I still don't know what being a blood scribe means)
There's video along with the demo that explains each of the team member's abilities in detail.

Looks awesome. This one is a must-own for me.
Old 10-02-07, 02:49 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, I watched the video, and all it says is she's a blood scribe. No description of what that actually entails or how it affects the gameplay.
Old 10-02-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you do her fire scribe attack? She carves into her hand and spells out some angelic writing/runes/text (per the video) with her blood and crazy shit happens, like a ring of fire that engulfs nearby enemies in flames (per the game).
Old 10-02-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Played the demo and wasnt pleased. Althought they try to make the story sound different and interesting, the game still seems pretty generic. Lame.
Old 10-02-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Based on how much I enjoyed Clive Barker's Undying, I'll give the PC demo a shot. It sounds kind of interesting.
same here. undying was VERY cool, and VERY overlooked. this one's plot sounds rather cheesy, but it's worth a look...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.