Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Achievement Points

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Achievement Points

Id like to know what you guys think of Achievement Points. Ive been gaming since i was wee little and i think aquiring achievement points is one of the coolest feauters to be introduced to the gaming world. I get a gitty feeling everytime im playing something and i hear that little "Ka-bloop" sound saying i just did something cool.
What i do dislike is seeing people with insane amounts of points. Not because i feel inferior, but if you check thier stats you see achievement points for titles such as Open Season, Sponegebob shit and things of that nature where they hand out like 1000 points for each achievement. Obviously alot of people probably just play through these games just to add to thier overall gamerscore.
Now i stand at a modest 4990 gamescore points but im proud of it. All my points come from games i like to play and you get an over all feel of what im into. Thats respectable gaming in my opinion, anyway, what do yo guys think?
Old 09-26-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have mixed feelings. If it helps you get more out of a game great. If you play shit to pump up your score I find that pathetic. I don't have a 360, but they were added to Steam and as of yet I have zero interest.
Old 09-26-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I've said many times before that I Love them. I like the points but the actual Achievement is what I dig. Anyway, it gives one a goal to reach for and I've replayed, or at least started to replay, quite a few games to get them.
Old 09-26-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've said many times before that I Love them. I like the points but the actual Achievement is what I dig. Anyway, it gives one a goal to reach for and I've replayed, or at least started to replay, quite a few games to get them.
Exactly, its cool that getting points actually give you an incentive to go back and play some of your games. Like i recently popped in Dead Rising to see if i can obtain some more achievement points.
Old 09-26-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Out of all the games I have played, I have something like 4,500 out of 32,000 possible points. I don't strive to get them, if I do, great. But yeah, I do love the feeling of unlocking one and hearing the sound.
Old 09-27-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Same as Robo mentioned. They add a lot of replay value to games. I do have a couple Madden's on my card due to free rentals, but you won't see me popping in the kiddie games. I did play TMNT, but that was a solid little game.

I'm sitting at number 9 on DVDtalk's group, but I doubt I will stay there long due to my lack of interest in playing those shit games to pad my score.
Old 09-27-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Out of all the games I have played, I have something like 4,500 out of 32,000 possible points. I don't strive to get them, if I do, great. But yeah, I do love the feeling of unlocking one and hearing the sound.
Pretty much how I feel... The only games I've gone for all of the Achievements has been Bioshock (mainly because you can get them all in one go) and I've been striving for all the achievements for Team Fortress 2.
Old 09-27-07, 05:06 AM
Banned

I couldn't care less about achievements personally. I never played "for the high score" in the old school days and I don't care about achievement score today. I turned the achievement notification thing off so I never even know when I accidentally unlock one.
Old 09-27-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they are novel....I do like them now. At first I really thought it would be lame, but now I like the little "ka-bloop" as you put it. HOWEVER, I will not play any game just to BOOST my achievements. Even during the Old Spice challenge I played games I WANTED to play.

I do NOT try to get all the achievement points....I just play normally, achievements are just bonus.
Old 09-27-07, 08:25 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also think they're neat, but agree that it's pathetic when people play a crappy game they don't like just for easy achievement points.

Then there are good games (like Fight Night) that have insanely easy points, and I honestly don't feel motivated to pop it in and play again. I'll play a game more that I like slightly less than Fight Night to try and work for a few achievements.

Of course, I'm not very good at a lot of games, so the hard achievements will never be attained, but I'd rather have it that way than have them all easy to get.
Old 09-27-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AP is a great idea. There are plenty of games I wouldn't have played if it wasn't for AP. Bullet Witch was a game universally panned, but I enjoyed the heck out of it and finished it 5 times for all the achievements. I didn't mind at all and actually had alot of fun doing it (especially the hardest difficulty where you only get 1 point of achievement for finishing it).

Even Eragon was kinda mindless fun, but if it is a game I really don't like, I would try it but won't play it just for AP (like Perfect Dark Zero, what an awful game).
Old 09-27-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like them a lot. I try to get them, which motivates me to play games I wouldn't normally have played, which has made the overall gaming experience much more fun. I'm probably one of those guys you hate, though, since my gamerscore is something like 27,000.
Old 09-27-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lastblade
AP is a great idea. There are plenty of games I wouldn't have played if it wasn't for AP. Bullet Witch was a game universally panned, but I enjoyed the heck out of it and finished it 5 times for all the achievements. I didn't mind at all and actually had alot of fun doing it (especially the hardest difficulty where you only get 1 point of achievement for finishing it).

Even Eragon was kinda mindless fun, but if it is a game I really don't like, I would try it but won't play it just for AP (like Perfect Dark Zero, what an awful game).
Pretty much sums up my whole thought here. Dynasty Warriors 5...would've never played it as much without the achievements. But I went for them, and had a lot of fun with the game. Things like that make it a great idea. But yeah, games I hate, I won't even bother with.
Old 09-27-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they're great. I don't actively pursue them, but the idea of them is nifty.

I too agree that the inflating of AP scores is pretty sad though. A while ago one of the people with the highest scores sold his account on ebay for a decent sum of money. That defeats so much of the point of AP's.

I'm personally a bigger fan of the leaderboards.
Old 09-27-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, people playing shit games just to get points is pretty sad. I will try to get achievements in a game I'm enjoying as long as they're not ridiculous (such as playing a thousand online matches or something) so they do kind of extend a game by a little bit for me. I agree with the above on the leaderboards, that's cool as hell. I just wish I could have separate friend lists so I could see where I stand in the DVDTalk groups or where I stand with my local buddies.
Old 09-27-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Yeah, people playing shit games just to get points is pretty sad. I will try to get achievements in a game I'm enjoying as long as they're not ridiculous (such as playing a thousand online matches or something) so they do kind of extend a game by a little bit for me. I agree with the above on the leaderboards, that's cool as hell. I just wish I could have separate friend lists so I could see where I stand in the DVDTalk groups or where I stand with my local buddies.
I'm hoping for something like that for the fall update. Grouping friends would be great. Or just being able to sort them the way you like.
Old 09-27-07, 11:05 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Are the oddly named "Entitlement Points" coming to the PS3?
Old 09-27-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm hoping for something like that for the fall update. Grouping friends would be great. Or just being able to sort them the way you like.
I think it was part of the rumored list floating around, I can't wait for it!
Old 09-27-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm one of the pathetic types who really cares about Achievement Points. I'll put more time into games in order to get them, and I'll play differently.

It seems like a lot of people want to distance themselves from saying that they'll play certain games to get achievements, but not me - I'm proud of my points.
Old 09-27-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have like < 2000 points since launch..
I just cant get into point hunting.
Old 09-27-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty sure the maximum amount of points you can get for any 1 game is 1000. They might add a few hundred more with downloadable content. It's not like you can play those "easy" games over and over and keep getting the points. I think sports titles are used more for padding one's GS. You can essentially leave a game unattended overnight as it simulates a season and get almost the maximum points.
Old 09-27-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think they are a great idea, it just adds more depth and variety to playing the games. I really like when developers use them creatively incentivizing things that you wouldn't normally do in the game, or to play games in a different way. Crackdown had a lot of these achievements, like juggling somebody in mid-air with a rocket launcher, throwing somebody a certain distance, etc. These are just small fun things that can add to the replay value.

I don't like the boring achievements, like playing tons of hours or other tedious achievements that take an insane amount of hours, but I recognize that some people might.

I don't really worry about getting every achievement, most games I just play through, and get the ones that come naturally. But when I hear that achievement point sound, it is exciting.
Old 09-27-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I think it was a great idea from Microsoft, knowing how obsessive/compulsive a lot of gamers can be. At times, all things being equal, it can make the difference between picking up the 360 version of the game over the PS3 version for me. It's not super important to the point where I'll play crappy games to get points, but it is a cool feature, and a great way to see how others are progressing in games.

Did anyone get the full 1000 points for Final Fantasy XI yet?
Old 09-27-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did anyone get the full 1000 points for Final Fantasy XI yet?
Only two people.

http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php?g=77
Old 09-27-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never really care for achievement points. I only play the games for fun - not serious. I don't want to get serious with game and get frustration that I cannot achieve whatever it asks.

Just checked my points... it seems that I have 5310 pts... It seems that Oblivion is my highest acheivement point: 1220 out of 1250. But who cares, I had great time playing that game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.