Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC game recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PC game recommendations

I'm building a new computer and will have a gaming system for the first time in like 10+ years.

So anything standout that i can get cheap that i need to play? I have a console so i can live with FPS and the like. I'm mostly interested in some RTS or turn based strategy games. I haven't played any since Age of Mythology and Civ III.

I know on here some people a while back were discussing a game that had countries vying for Papal control (i think it was set in a medieval setting). Any good recommendations?
Old 09-21-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoyed Galactic Civilizations II. It's a turn-based space strategy game in the same vein as Master of Orion II. There's a demo available on the official site: http://www.galciv2.com/
Old 09-21-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
If you played Civ III before and like it, you should really consider Civ IV. Just an amazing game that will suck your life away. It also just came out with a great expansion that has some very cool scenarios.
Old 09-21-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
World in Conflict is came out, and it's pretty great.
Old 09-21-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Prism: Light The Way Awesome Download a free 30-minute, full-game trial.

http://uk.download.games.yahoo.net/t...the%20Way.html
Old 09-22-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you are interested in strategy games, I would highly recommend Company of Heroes. It's set in WWII, but it is a really great game, was in the running for game of the year in a lot of magazines. The graphics are stunning and it really adds a lot to RTS's with how much you can use the environment to your advantage.

I would also suggest Warcraft III for an older, but still fun strategy game.

I know you mentioned you have a console for FPS's, but you may have missed some shooters. I highly reccomend The Orange Box for PC if you aren't going to get it for the console, Half Life 2 and Episode 1 are the best FPS's out in my opinion. Also the Far Cry PC game is much different than the console version, and better in every way. It is well worth picking up, especially with Crysis coming soon.
Old 09-22-07, 01:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I know on here some people a while back were discussing a game that had countries vying for Papal control (i think it was set in a medieval setting). Any good recommendations?
Medieval 2: Total War. Any of the Total War series is good, but Medieval 2 is the latest (and greatest IMO).

I am not too big on strategy games, but there are a few I enjoy. Warcraft and Starcraft. Heroes of Might and Magic series.

I also second Far Cry and Crysis. Like msdmoney said, Far Cry on the PC is a completely different (and much better) game than the Far Cry Instincts console game.
Old 09-22-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by msdmoney
If you are interested in strategy games, I would highly recommend Company of Heroes. It's set in WWII, but it is a really great game, was in the running for game of the year in a lot of magazines. The graphics are stunning and it really adds a lot to RTS's with how much you can use the environment to your advantage.

I would also suggest Warcraft III for an older, but still fun strategy game.

I know you mentioned you have a console for FPS's, but you may have missed some shooters. I highly reccomend The Orange Box for PC if you aren't going to get it for the console, Half Life 2 and Episode 1 are the best FPS's out in my opinion. Also the Far Cry PC game is much different than the console version, and better in every way. It is well worth picking up, especially with Crysis coming soon.
I had played Warcraft III a bit back. IT was fun, i may have to snag it with the expansion now.

Orange Box i will be getting for my 360 for the achievements and to play TFII with my clan.

Prism does look cool but i would snag it on the DS rather than the PC. I may have to look into whatever is the new Age of Empires title. Age of Empires II with the expansion was so much fun.

I'll have to look into Crysis to see what it is. I had only heard it mentioned in regards to how good is supposedly was going to look. I've been out of the PC scene so long that most of it is new to me.

That Total War game and Civ IV looks like they might be must buys.
Old 09-22-07, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Civ IV is a definite must buy. Get the Beyond the Sword expansion as well, as it really adds to the gameplay. If you like scenarios, pick up the Warlords expansion, too. However, the gameplay enhancements from Warlords are also included in Beyond the Sword, so the only reason to buy Warlords (assuming you get Beyond the Sword) is for the scenarios.
Old 09-22-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gal Civ II is a must buy if you like strategy games.
Old 09-22-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to be running Vista. Will this impact what games i should be hunting?
Old 09-22-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
World in Conflict is came out, and it's pretty great.

Just got this it is AMAZINZG
Old 09-22-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also recommend Medieval 2:Total War as a must buy. The expansion just came out too. I haven't picked it up yet, but it's recieved good reviews. They also just announced Empire:Total War for next year. Can't wait for that one. The Total War series is one of my favorite series of games. All of them have been excellent.

I'm playing World in Conflict right now. It's a lot of fun. It's set in the 80's with Russia invading the US. No base building or resource management. Some others I'd recommend are Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, and Supreme Commander. All of those are fun, especially CoH. It's one of the best RTS I've played in a long time, and about to get a new standalone expansion. If you want to check out any of them, I think they all have demoes out.

Also, to answer your Vista question, I've played almost all these games in Vista 64 with no problems. I think the only one I listed that I haven't tried yet in Vista, is Dawn of War. Just make sure to load any patches and updates. Most of my games seem to run under Vista. I've had a few that run poorly or crash, but they are mostly older titles. I've got a Vista/XP dual boot setup, so I run them under XP.
Old 09-23-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Civ4 is the best civ ever. I never liked Civ3 much, after loving Civ1&2, but Civ4 is just astoundingly good. Especially with the Beyond the Sword/Warlords stuff added.
Old 09-23-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
I'm going to be running Vista. Will this impact what games i should be hunting?
If you have a recent enough system it won't hurt your game play. It decreases the frame rate by maybe 4-5 frames a second.
Old 09-23-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Civ4 is the best civ ever. I never liked Civ3 much, after loving Civ1&2, but Civ4 is just astoundingly good. Especially with the Beyond the Sword/Warlords stuff added.
Awesome. Well it looks like there is a Civ4 Gold Edition that comes with the Warlord expansion in the box. That and Medieval Total War look like they ought to be my first purchases.
Old 09-23-07, 04:48 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I just got a new laptop with Vista and it's running Civ 4 better than my 5-year-old desktop with XP.