Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's the word on Heavenly Sword?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Finished this during lunch today. Great... great game. I already returned it, but I think I will pick it up when I can find it in the sub- $20 range to go through the 'Hell' mode.

I loved this game and highly recommend everyone checking it out. If length doesn't bother you then there's no reason not to.
Old 09-17-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Picked this up today with some store credit I had at EB.

I'm hoping that the game is a little more fun than the demo was.
Old 09-17-07, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the PS3 since Dec. 06 and until Heavenly Sword I didn't buy a single game and only rented Resistance. Amazing game.
Old 09-29-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This game is freakin' awesome!! It has to have the best acting I've seen in a game. The dialogue isn't hokey and the characters act realistically. I'm loving it so far.
Old 03-24-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: What's the word on Heavenly Sword?

I'm extremely late to the party but I am loving this game. I like that the secondary character (Kai) controls completely differently than the protagonist (Nariko). It really ads to the experience since it mixes up the gameplay styles. But I am having on heck of a time fine tuining my skills with the aftertouch while using Kai. Especially agains those hammer guys that can only be killed via headshots.
Old 03-24-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh and Andy Serkis is brilliant as King Bohan. He's so over the top and yet he never feels cheesy. And I love the comic flourishes during the bad guy monologues.

"I don't entirely trust that man."
Old 03-24-09, 02:47 PM

Yes, the game is short, but it's a fun game! I got it for $20 over BF2008 and beat it within a weekend. I still have the game, and revisiting the stages I didn't get a perfect on and play them over again.
Old 03-24-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

OK this is been sitting on my shelf since I got it free with my 60GB PS3. I need to dust this one off and try it I think.
Old 03-24-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I love this game. The first PS3 title I got. Any Fringe fans should play it too.
Old 03-24-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Any Fringe fans should play it too.

This is the one game that makes me want a PS3.
Old 03-24-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great, now you guys got me wanting to go back and play through it again lol
Old 03-24-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This and Uncharted make a great double feature of sorts given how cinematic both games feel without you simply sitting down and watching cinematics (Hideo Kojima, I'm looking at you). They make you feel like your in a movie while you play.

It's too bad that Ninja Theory has no plans to make a sequel to Heavenly Sword. They want to focus multi-platform games and that makes a sequel unlikely in the forseable future.
Old 03-24-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved Heavenly Sword. It didn't get its fair share with reviews because everyone was claiming it was short. However, short it is, the game is one of the best on any console.

The levels were you play in the open battle field with 100+ guys around you are jaw-dropping. I really wish another game would be able to replicate levels like that.
Old 03-25-09, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
This and Uncharted make a great double feature of sorts given how cinematic both games feel without you simply sitting down and watching cinematics (Hideo Kojima, I'm looking at you). They make you feel like your in a movie while you play.

It's too bad that Ninja Theory has no plans to make a sequel to Heavenly Sword. They want to focus multi-platform games and that makes a sequel unlikely in the forseable future.
Agree with your first point. And with your second, I hope Sony snatches it and gives it to another studio.

And lets not forget how great Twing Twang is!
Old 03-25-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Sony owns the rights to HS that's why there is no sequel. IIRC, Ninja Bee wants to do one but Sony doesn't.
Old 03-25-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The characters are interesting, boss fights are nice, but the game just don't click with me like God of War did. Sequel would be nice (it could be a better game).

What's up with NBC's Heroes? HS was shown in the earlier season and lately i saw one dude is playing the PSP...
Old 03-25-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I believe HS was shown late in season 1. It was in an episode prior to HS's release date.
Old 03-25-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ that's correct

The game didn't do too well anyway... The PS3 was struggling for games during that time and HS suppose be a solid hit, but it didn't really click. I like to say the game is awesome, but no, it's only mildly good.
Old 03-25-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

According to Wikipedia, Heavenly Sword sold over one million copies by May 2008. So it did rather well.

As for a sequel:
According to Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades, the story for the sequel has been already written; in fact a whole trilogy is being planned. He stated, "We've had the story for the sequel for a while now. Hopefully, if this game is successful, then there's no reason why there shouldn't be a sequel and we'd very much like to go into that."

On March 21, 2008, on G4's Attack of the Show it was listed on the scrolling banner that Ninja Theory is not planning to create a sequel for Heavenly Sword, and instead has decided to work on a new project. Though information on the decision and the aforementioned project was sparse, it was stated that production time for the new project will span well over two years, and that the project, like Heavenly Sword, will be extremely cinematic.

On May 21, 2008, IT Manager “Peonic” announced that a follow-up to Heavenly Sword would be extremely unlikely due to Ninja Theory's decision to pursue opportunities within multi-platform development:

"We’re not abandoning HS just on a whim because we want to go off and do something different - there’s a great huge raft of reasons behind us taking the direction we are - and it’s also the nature of the business that I’m not allowed to share any of those reasons with you.

As for the ‘you’re just not doing HS2 NOW’ comments - well one thing you learn in this industry is that you never say ‘Never’. So I’m not going to say we’ll “never” go back and make HS2 - but it’s something I personally see as extremely unlikely."

However, since SCE retains the IP of Heavenly Sword, there's always the possibility of production on a sequel being outsourced to another developer.
So it's a Ninja Theory decision and not a Sony decision. But I get the feeling the decision was purely economical and not artistic. Multi-console release means potentially more games sold after all.
Old 03-26-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Personally, i don't mind a sequel at all...
Old 03-26-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm well into this game
Spoiler:
(just had Kai headshot Flying Fox)
and although I think Uncharted is the better game, Heavenly Sword is equally deserving of a sequel in order to build up on a very solid foundation.

I do find it interesting that apparently Heavenly Sword had a larger budget than Uncharted yet the latter feels more polished than the former. I guess it goes that simply throwing money at something isn't the answer.

And is there anywhere I can get a CD (or SACD in a perfect world) of the scores to both these games?
Old 03-26-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can do that? (referring to the spoiler)

Yeah, the characters are very interesting in HS. Come to think of it, they should make a sequel, what a waste... Or maybe Sony is afraid of tarnishing the HS reputation? Most blockbuster sequels do live up to the originals, but yeah, HS sequel do need a lot of moola...
Old 03-26-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, you can.
Spoiler:
In fact, that's how I just beat him during the boss battle against him. There's even a cutscene that sets up the sequence.
Why? How'd you pass that part?

Well the basic engine is there. And apparently Ninja Theory have enough money on their own to licence new animation software which is what they're doing for their new unnamed project. Where it becomes pricey as re-hiring the cast from the first and doing all that mocap in New Zealand again.

Although I'm sure there are other places they could go that have a volume set up and ready to go. The problem is how inexpensive can they possibly be?

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-26-09 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-26-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just finished the game and I must say it was one heck of a ride. I loved the sheer scale of the final battle. I just wish it had been much longer. This game definitely needs a sequel. And more twing twang.
Old 03-26-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I just finished the game and I must say it was one heck of a ride. I loved the sheer scale of the final battle. I just wish it had been much longer. This game definitely needs a sequel. And more twing twang.
About the ending...

Spoiler:
Has any game killed of the character you play as after you beat it? It was a pretty good ending.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.