Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Orange Box: HL2:Episode 2, Portal, & Team Fortress 2 (PC/360/PS3) Official Thread

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Orange Box: HL2:Episode 2, Portal, & Team Fortress 2 (PC/360/PS3) Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that we're less than a month away from this highly anticipated release, I think it's time to start this wonderful thread.

Despite the ugly cover, I've been waiting a long time for this game. Delayed for, what feels like, as long as Half-Life 2 was delayed, I thought this would never come out (i.e. Sin: Episode 2). But October 9th is pretty close and Valve has said they are in beta and bug testing now. In fact, more proof the release is finally upon us is the recent news that when you pre-order the Orange Box on Steam, you will be allowed into the Team Fortress 2 beta. Which starts...

Monday.

Also included in this great pre-order package is a free copy of a new popular indie game called Peggles. It's got great reviews and is known to be highly addictive.

Don't forget when the Orange Box comes out, you'll not only get Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and TF2. You'll also be getting Half-Life 2, and HL2: Episode 1. If you already have those you can give them both to friends as gifts.

So load up Steam, pre-order that sucker, warm up on TFC, and I'll see you on Monday.
Old 09-11-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My PC is way too outdated for any games from the last several years, so I'll be getting the 360 version. Enjoy the TF2 beta and post your impressions here if you get a chance - I know I'd like to read them. TF2 looks great, but Portal looks really cool too, not to mention all the Half-Life 2 stuff.
Old 09-11-07, 05:03 PM
Banned

On the PC front, will Episode 2 and Portal be available separately? I already have Half-life 2 and Episode 1, so I don't want to pay for them again in the orange box...
Old 09-11-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
On the PC front, will Episode 2 and Portal be available separately? I already have Half-life 2 and Episode 1, so I don't want to pay for them again in the orange box...
They should be available separately on steam (and only on steam).
Old 09-11-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are, but they are rediculously expensive. $30 for Episode 2, $20 for Portal, and $30 for TF 2.
Old 09-11-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Now that we're less than a month away from this highly anticipated release, I think it's time to start this wonderful thread.

Despite the ugly cover, I've been waiting a long time for this game. Delayed for, what feels like, as long as Half-Life 2 was delayed, I thought this would never come out (i.e. Sin: Episode 2). But October 9th is pretty close and Valve has said they are in beta and bug testing now. In fact, more proof the release is finally upon us is the recent news that when you pre-order the Orange Box on Steam, you will be allowed into the Team Fortress 2 beta. Which starts...

Monday.

Also included in this great pre-order package is a free copy of a new popular indie game called Peggles. It's got great reviews and is known to be highly addictive.

Don't forget when the Orange Box comes out, you'll not only get Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, and TF2. You'll also be getting Half-Life 2, and HL2: Episode 1. If you already have those you can give them both to friends as gifts.

So load up Steam, pre-order that sucker, warm up on TFC, and I'll see you on Monday.
which place or site do you pre-order to get the Peggles game?
Old 09-11-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meet The Engineer

Load up Steam or head on over to IGN and watch the latest trailer for Team Fortress 2 and get familiar with my best buddy, the Engineer.

Name: Engineer
Role: Defense
Weapons: Shotgun / Pistol / Wrench
Contraptions: Turret / Dispenser / Teleporter

Bio: This amiable, soft-spoken good ol’ boy from tiny Bee Cave, Texas loves barbeque, guns, and higher education. Natural curiosity, ten years as a roughneck in the west Texas oilfields, and eleven hard science PhDs have trained him to design, build and repair a variety of deadly contraptions.
Old 09-11-07, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flashburn
They are, but they are rediculously expensive. $30 for Episode 2, $20 for Portal, and $30 for TF 2.
Why $30 for Episode 2? Episode 1 was $20. Portal is just an elaborate puzzle game using a modified gravgun. It shouldn't be more than $10.

So the only way to own a physical copy of Episode 2 is to buy the orange box. I hate digital distribution. I want to own a physical copy of everything. I might as well buy the orange box since the PC version is $50 and Episode 2 and Portal combined are $50...

I hope Valve doesn't screw us over again when Episode 3 comes out and force us to buy another compilation box.
Old 09-11-07, 05:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The word from Valve is that Episode 3 will be longer than all of Half-Life 2, so I wouldn't be surprised if they charged full price for it.
Old 09-11-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why $30 for Episode 2? Episode 1 was $20.
Valve has mentioned the length of Epi. 2 is a few hours longer.
Old 09-11-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are 99 achievements for the 360 version of The Orange Box with a total of 1000 gamerscore points.

Here is the breakdown:
http://www.achieve360points.com/game/theorangebox/

Note: Some of these achievements are for Half-Life 2 and Episode 1 .
Old 09-11-07, 08:20 PM
Banned

I saw that one achievement is crossing the sandpit area without touching the ground and alerting the antlions. Good luck with that.

That area is huge and getting across there without touching the ground is an incredibly monotonous, time consuming, and patience-testing feat. I have played through the game three times, and every single time I get half way across the area before I finally get bored with it and decide to just do a wild dash to the end while avoiding antlions as best as possible.
Old 09-11-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The Steam deal is pretty tempting. Everything in the Orange Box plus a bonus puzzle game for $45 and you get to beta test TF2.

Pretty much a done deal that I'm buying it from Steam.
Old 09-11-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw that one achievement is crossing the sandpit area without touching the ground and alerting the antlions. Good luck with that.

That area is huge and getting across there without touching the ground is an incredibly monotonous, time consuming, and patience-testing feat. I have played through the game three times, and every single time I get half way across the area before I finally get bored with it and decide to just do a wild dash to the end while avoiding antlions as best as possible.
Much easier on the PC than on the 360, that's for sure.

There's another cool achievement for beating Episode 1 with one bullet. Rocket launcher, grav gun, grenades are allowed.
Old 09-11-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I pre ordered on Steam. Peggles is really good and themed for the games in the Orange Box. It is only 10 levels, but for a freebie it is excellent. May actually buy the full game down the road.

Now I have to give someone a free copy of HL2 and Episode 1 since I already own them.
Old 09-11-07, 10:46 PM

I will buy this for my PS3 Sixaxis is my favorite controler to play this type of FPS on a console, also this is a good value.
Old 09-11-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaka2K6
I will buy this for my PS3 Sixaxis is my favorite controler to play this type of FPS on a console
Really? Wow.
Old 09-11-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I pre ordered on Steam. Peggles is really good and themed for the games in the Orange Box. It is only 10 levels, but for a freebie it is excellent. May actually buy the full game down the road.

Now I have to give someone a free copy of HL2 and Episode 1 since I already own them.
Is steam selling both pc and xbox 360 versions? The site doesn't say if it is.
Old 09-11-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
Would be impossible for Steam to sell a 360 version.

As for Shaka, how in the world could you play a FPS with Sixaxis...?

Another note... I am pre-ordering the game on Steam this weekend after I get my paycheck. But I am ACTUALLY considering buying it for the 360 as well... I've become an achievement whore as of recently, and those achievements have my trigger finger getting itchy.
Old 09-11-07, 11:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus

As for Shaka, how in the world could you play a FPS with Sixaxis...?
I can only imagine he means playing the game with the PS3 controller, not with the motion sensing capabilities of the PS3 controller.
Old 09-12-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I can only imagine he means playing the game with the PS3 controller, not with the motion sensing capabilities of the PS3 controller.
Either way you look at it, Sixaxis or Dual Shock, that layout is still a bizarre choice as a favorite controller for FPS games.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-12-07 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-12-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83
PC only.
Old 09-12-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of this, I'm actually looking forward to Episode 2 the least. I still haven't played HL2 or Episode 1 yet, and I don't see either in my near future. I guess it would be ok to just jump in and play Ep 2, but I don't know if my twisted (must start at the beginning!) ways would let me.

But getting some games of TF2 over live should be a blast. I love the look of that game, and here is to hoping I like the feel.
Old 09-12-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
Of this, I'm actually looking forward to Episode 2 the least. I still haven't played HL2 or Episode 1 yet, and I don't see either in my near future. I guess it would be ok to just jump in and play Ep 2, but I don't know if my twisted (must start at the beginning!) ways would let me.

But getting some games of TF2 over live should be a blast. I love the look of that game, and here is to hoping I like the feel.
Orange Box includes HL2 and HL2:E1 also. You can play through the whole thing.
Old 09-12-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Orange Box includes HL2 and HL2:E1 also. You can play through the whole thing.
Not only that, Half Life 2 is one of the greatest FPS games ever and should be played by gamers. I'm hoping this proper console release introduces HL2 to a much wider audience. The old Xbox version was a decent port, but this version has new HDR and should be awesome on consoles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.