Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Steam Community, anyone? (or "How I got addicted to Counter-Strike")

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://steamcommunity.com/

If you weren't aware, Steam Community has been in beta for about the past three weeks. Steam Community basically consists of the following:

* Easily see your friends online
* Schedule group events
* Create a SteamID user profile
* Create and join groups

* Access Steam from within any game
* Track gameplay stats
* New chat rooms and game lobbies
* Voice chat in-game or out
In other words, it like the best parts of Xbox Live + chat rooms, and it's free. You don't even have to play Valve/Steam games to take advantage of it, works with almost any game (some games have issues with it, keep in mind that it is still just in beta). You can use it to see if your friends are online and chat with them at any time, even if their playing a non-Steam, single player game. But if you are playing online Steam games, it makes it a lot easier to find and join your friends in online matches.

To sign up, if you already have Steam, just go to the website above and Log In, and open up Steam and go to Files -> Settings -> Accounts -> Click Beta Participation -> Select Steam Community and you should be good to go.

I'm not sure if there's enough interest here or not, I know PC games are exactly in vogue, but I took the liberty of creating a DVDTalk group if anyone wants to join. We could get together and play some Counter-Strike or something. If nothing else, we could use it as an unofficial DVDTalk chat room.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dvdtalk

If anyone's on Steam Community or wants to be Steam Community, join the group so we can see if there's any interest or not. Even if there's not enough people to get a full match going, a couple of us could always just get in an already populated match together.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 08-20-07 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-20-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Now I'm not the steam community master but I thought the only way people would be able to join is if you sent them a invite. Even if it is not it might be better to have people post their steam community ids here and then send invites to those people. That way you don't have to accept invites from people you don't know.

I don't know, just thinking about stuff. I really have no idea how the group thing works.
Old 08-20-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This would've been great years ago when I played PC games still (not sarcasm, just an observation).

I still remember people trying to get me to use some kind of voice chat thing when Unreal came out. It had some really silly name, like Johnny Bravo or Timmy on the Spot or Charlie Chatsomuch.
Old 08-20-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Now I'm not the steam community master but I thought the only way people would be able to join is if you sent them a invite. Even if it is not it might be better to have people post their steam community ids here and then send invites to those people. That way you don't have to accept invites from people you don't know.

I don't know, just thinking about stuff. I really have no idea how the group thing works.
I made it a public group so anyone should be able to join, and then you can add people to your friends list from there if you want. If you're having problems joining the group though, post your SteamID and I'll send you an invite.
Old 08-20-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no idea how to join. I clicked on the dvdtalk link and then click join group but nothing happen.

Send me an invite, ID is Baron_Of_Hell
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Baron_Of_Hell

Hey people the Bioshock demo is on steam. Downloading now.
Old 08-20-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I have no idea how to join. I clicked on the dvdtalk link and then click join group but nothing happen.
Did you activate the Community Beta from within Steam? If you don't do that, it can keep you from accessing groups. To do that open Steam, then go to the following:

Files -> Settings -> Accounts -> Click Beta Participation -> Select Steam Community

Then you'll have to restart Steam and download an update. I went ahead and sent you an invite too just in case that still doesn't work.
Old 08-21-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I still remember people trying to get me to use some kind of voice chat thing when Unreal came out. It had some really silly name, like Johnny Bravo or Timmy on the Spot or Charlie Chatsomuch.
Not silly but... Roger Wilco?
Old 11-19-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDtalk has a steam group. WOW who knew. Oh wait I'm on it. I guess I knew but did you?