Old 08-30-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Impressions?
Old 08-30-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Is it like that (kind of a spindle) or just 3 discs stuffed into a single-DVD spindle.
My Quake 4 bonus disc came in a sleeve, the Blue Dragon case had a mini-spindle.

Originally Posted by RichC2
Impressions?
I'll post some after the weekend.. right now it's all about Metroid.
Old 08-30-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was just about even with the review for Eternal Sonata as far as EGM goes but like pixy said I wouldn't trust their reviews much. Most of the time all that means to me is the game dont have very violent combat with guns, no emo mtv characters doing john woo moves like all other games out there and could be colorful and charming instead of the hot trend of dark and bleak. Which to me is very refreshing now.

Anyway the plan was to buy this on day one to support these types of games even though I don't have a 360 yet. Since the budget is tight I'll have to keep eye out and see if it worthy. I dont mind a more realistic subtle plot instead of saving the world but if its another insult your intelligence jrpg aimed at the 13 and under crowd that don't even have half the magic of snes rpg from 15 years ago I think I'll pass, the last few Tales of games have burnt me out on this hobby for awhile and I so sick large sections of these fancy 3D games reminding you your only playing a video game and blocking you off all over. So much seems wasted on getting even an average 3D world up and running I rather see some teams try to push limits of 2D more.

Last edited by madara; 08-30-07 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-31-07, 12:35 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Picked this up today and played for about half an hour. And I use the term "played" loosely -- I think there was about 10 minutes of actual gameplay and 20 minutes of cut scenes. Still, the graphics are gorgeous, and the story has intrigued me enough that I do want to keep playing and find out what happens next.
Old 08-31-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm stuck already.
how do you get out of that cave with the blue thing blocking you?
Old 08-31-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madara
I rather see some teams try to push limits of 2D more.
Two words: ODIN SPHERE.

Or if you can understand some Japanese, the last few 2D Tales games have been incredible, especially compared to their 3D counterparts. It's a shame that Namco feels that the graphics weren't worth releasing them here and wouldn't license them to other companies (a few had even approached them about it, I believe).
Old 08-31-07, 08:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by timewaster
i'm stuck already.
how do you get out of that cave with the blue thing blocking you?
Spoiler:
There are four chests, each guarded by a Poo Snake. Open all four chests and a fifth chest will appear. Open the fifth chest to get out of the cave.
Old 08-31-07, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was mildly curious in this, but after watching some gameplay footage I have to say the art style bored me to tears. I didn't try the demo, but it takes something exceptional for me to try an RPG (either japanese or american).

I am interested in Eternal Sonata (and if I still had a PS2) Persona 3.
Old 09-04-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blue Dragon: Proof that demos can fail the actual game.

That about sums up my feelings so far. The game is really good and I'm having a hell of a lot of fun. The class and skill system is totally excellent. Starting the game from the beginning really represents it more of a Dragon Quest style game then the convoluted demo leads you to believe. I think the problem with the demo is that it starts you out somewhere in the middle of the game with high level characters with a bajillion skills and items. Playing from the start and getting up to lots of skills while learning them and using them is what makes this enjoyable.

If you were excited about this game before and the demo made you think twice, it's worth a second (non demo) look if you are looking for a solid SNES era, turn based RPG. Oh, and to counter the comment above, yes the first thirty minutes are pretty bereft of gameplay but it literally dumps you into the wide, wide world of sports right after that point and it's all gameplay from thereon. My nine hours thus far have been about 95% gameplay, 5% cutscenes.
Old 09-04-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice to hear. I still think I'm going to give the wallet a break for a while and hope to triple-up with this, Eternal Sonata, and something else if TRU does their B2G1 again.
Old 09-04-07, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Blue Dragon: Proof that demos can fail the actual game.

That about sums up my feelings so far. The game is really good and I'm having a hell of a lot of fun. The class and skill system is totally excellent. Starting the game from the beginning really represents it more of a Dragon Quest style game then the convoluted demo leads you to believe. I think the problem with the demo is that it starts you out somewhere in the middle of the game with high level characters with a bajillion skills and items. Playing from the start and getting up to lots of skills while learning them and using them is what makes this enjoyable.

If you were excited about this game before and the demo made you think twice, it's worth a second (non demo) look if you are looking for a solid SNES era, turn based RPG. Oh, and to counter the comment above, yes the first thirty minutes are pretty bereft of gameplay but it literally dumps you into the wide, wide world of sports right after that point and it's all gameplay from thereon. My nine hours thus far have been about 95% gameplay, 5% cutscenes.
I definitely agree with everything Pixy said here. I was excited about the game when I first heard about it and found the demo to be terrible. But I decided to take a chance on the game anyway, since the problems I had with the demo seemed to be the sorts of things that wouldn't be problems if you built your characters up from scratch from the begining. And sure enough, the game is lots of fun if you play from the begining! And like Pixy said -- and despite my earlier post -- there is a lot of gameplay once you get past the first half-hour or so. If you like JRPGs, this is a good game to get.
Old 09-04-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any game where you get treasure drops from poo is a winner in my book.
Old 09-04-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd probably pick this up based on the good feedback and reasonable reviews...but with a new baby here in a few days, I'll be waiting for a deal or maybe picking it up around Christmas time. Good to hear. I still enjoy DQ4 / SNES era RPGs better than most modern RPGs.
Old 09-04-07, 08:46 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I just got the game today. Beautiful so far and I just started.

I really like that I can have Japanese audio with subtitles. I heard the English voices in the demo.
Old 09-04-07, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any game where you get treasure drops from poo

Now I'm sold. Damn you again Pixy.
Old 09-05-07, 12:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Ditto! I was enticed by his references to SNES RPG's, but treasure from poo? You can't top that!
Old 09-05-07, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/5153/poohh4.jpg

So yeah, I think this game has the best implementation of a job/class system EVER. You have four skill slots for equipping job specific skills or bonuses, so you can level up a black mage for a while and then switch to a monk that has black magic and regenerating MP. Then, there's a generalist class that simply allows you more skill slots as you level it up! All of the classes are extremely balanced and all the skills are useful, unlike Final Fantasy III/V or Dragon Quest VI/VII that had a lot of useless classes and skills to inflate the number of classes they had.

Also, for the soundtrack fans.. this is Uematsu's best work since Final Fantasy VI (III). Yes, it's VERY good.
Old 09-05-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i also agree.
i found the demo really confusing and was turned off by it.
I've played a few hours so far and think the game is ok/good - i rate it about a 7/10.
Some of the things that really annoy me are

1. when fighting monsters, you don't know how much hp they have and how close you are to killing them.

2. the map really sucks. when you're in a dungeon, the automap only shows you a small section. you cannot see the whole map or where you've been.
The map doesn't show you special interest items/area you've found.
You have to memorize where certain things are. i.e. door is lock, go find key at another area. go back to where you found the locked door.

3. also, there are not enough save points. sometimes, i like to play for about 30 mins but cannot because there are no save points from the beginning till the end of a dungeon.
Old 09-05-07, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Also, for the soundtrack fans.. this is Uematsu's best work since Final Fantasy VI (III). Yes, it's VERY good.
I like the soundtrack a lot ... except for some reason, when you get to a boss battle, the soundtrack inexplicably switches from an atmospheric, orchestral score to really bad 80s hair metal.
Old 09-05-07, 10:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by timewaster
i also agree.
i found the demo really confusing and was turned off by it.
I've played a few hours so far and think the game is ok/good - i rate it about a 7/10.
Some of the things that really annoy me are

1. when fighting monsters, you don't know how much hp they have and how close you are to killing them.

2. the map really sucks. when you're in a dungeon, the automap only shows you a small section. you cannot see the whole map or where you've been.
The map doesn't show you special interest items/area you've found.
You have to memorize where certain things are. i.e. door is lock, go find key at another area. go back to where you found the locked door.

3. also, there are not enough save points. sometimes, i like to play for about 30 mins but cannot because there are no save points from the beginning till the end of a dungeon.
#1 I don't mind too much; it's a design choice, and perfectly reasonable that I don't know whether a particular monster is close to death or not. Keeps you on your toes.

#2 and #3 I agree with 110%.
Old 09-05-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The boss music rocks (for exactly what you stated).
Old 09-05-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I played the demo, the boss music reminded me so much of Let's Fighting Love.

Old 09-05-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The dungeons have so few monsters in them I can't imagine the spread out save points being a problem.
Old 09-05-07, 06:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thank you for that. I'll try and pick up the game today.
Old 09-05-07, 07:53 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Question for those playing.

Spoiler:
I've seen chests that are surrounded by blue and green force fields. I assume that you can go back later in the game to earlier areas to open them. Or did I miss things to allow me to open them now.

I'm only a little ways into the game. I just entered the Drill machine after the Sheep villiage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.