Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dirt

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirt

i'm playing the 360 version.
I'm having a hard time with those tracks where u have a guy calls out what's coming up. I still finish last even on rookie. Any hints?

Also, it seems like most of the races are solo timed races?
I find them really boring, wish they had more races with computer opponents.
Old 08-05-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using wheel or controller?

I don't follow the guy's call, I always look at little map on the top.
Old 08-05-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Hey

I'm glad to see a fellow DVD'r playing this game. I just finished Career mode last night. I found the game pretty good and challenging. I stated out at "Clubman" in the first tier but quickly went to Amateur. As you get to the middle tiers you'll get more comfortable with moving up a notch. But you can always do a race say Clubman, beat it and then race again as Amateur to get abigger payout. That way you can try the track/course at a easier level, get it down before moving up.

About the tracks where your "co-driver" calls out what's ahead it can be very helpful especially at firt and when you see a course for the first time. Allot of the courses you'll see later on in other races but being extended a bit. It's simple; the higher the number the straighter the road and lower the number means the more curve. A call say "5 Right" means a very slight curve to the right ahead. A call of "2 Left" means a almost 90 degree left turn ahead. I listen and watch the small icon on top (small square with the white line). After awhile you can get use to it especailly when you hear anything like a "3,2 or 1" mentioned.

You might want to check over at the Codemasters web site in their forum. Has a great deal of information, general talk and chat about DiRT. There's a PC and 360 forum.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 08-05-07, 01:06 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'm working on the game right now for a review and the achievements.

Once you get used to the floaty physics, the game is fairly simple. I can knock out most of the career races on hard. It is very much a simulation though, like PGR or Forza. Running off the track can be severely unforgiving especially when the damage model kicks in.
Old 08-06-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Are you using wheel or controller?

I don't follow the guy's call, I always look at little map on the top.
i'm using the controller.
i don't follow the guy's call either, but i noticed those races with the guy calling out seem to be much harder than the ones that do not. I always wind up finishing dead last or next to last on those. The races without the guy, i can easily finish first on rookie.
Old 08-06-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This game looks awesome, but from what I've heard the online play isn't great and that's the most important factor for me in purchasing a game.
Old 08-06-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
This game looks awesome, but from what I've heard the online play isn't great and that's the most important factor for me in purchasing a game.

Yea if MP is your ticket then I'd look at Forza instead. However Dirt is not all point-to-point racing as there are several with Rally Cross, Crossover (two cars) and Corr (dirt bugy's). You do get several varations though the dirt bugy's are a blast to drive. This game is more popular over in Europe because Rally racing is big there. One important note is from my understanding all the tracks and courses are real and so are several if not most of the cars are to. I'd pick up Forza but I'm watching PGR4 as it lookks plain bada##!

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 08-06-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody at Xbox.com forum said about racing multiplayer:
Racing games online such as forza 2 and so on the races seem to be decided on who can survive the first turn lol.
Old 08-07-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by timewaster
i'm using the controller.
i don't follow the guy's call either, but i noticed those races with the guy calling out seem to be much harder than the ones that do not. I always wind up finishing dead last or next to last on those. The races without the guy, i can easily finish first on rookie.
I've gotten used to listening to the guy's calls and timing the brake and turn well. I've never had luck on games with going between looking at a map and then glancing back at the game. I know it's not that complicated - I just don't do it well. I like the variety of vehicles, especially the buggies and the semis. Good mindless fun. And while it is frustrating that there aren't more races in career mode, I think you can just select a race from the arcade mode or whatever it's called once you reach that track/ vehicle class in career mode.